"Art Imitates Life" Discussion *SPOILERS*

I enjoyed the ep to an extent. Some of the stuff has already been mentioned.

I was put off by the fact that the "models" looked like models and also given how the murders were committed you'd assume they'd take paramedics along with them not have to call them in.

I was almost ready to give up on the series after last week's episode. I've already given up on the spin-offs.

Here's hoping that it improves...

I liked this ep. I mean, it wasn't great, but it was good. I like that they're actually dealing with Warrick's death, not just ignoring it like the other shows have done. Though, I'm also glad they didn't show every character talking with the councilor. That would have been too much. After all, this is a crime show ;)

And I think I'm going to like Riley. Her interaction with the rest of the team in this episode seemed very natural to me.

Overall I quite enjoyed the episode but I’m still waiting for some serious fallout from FW. Seriously, Nick MUST react in some way soon and what about Catherine? She was so close to Warrick (actually, IMO a few scenes from FW looked like they became more then friends finally, and even if it’s just my wishful thinking, I can’t believe she managed to get over it so easily).

Must admit I didn’t really like the psychiatrist and not sure I would go to a complete stranger to talk about very personal matters so I’m not that surprised we didn’t see Nick and Cath talk to her ;). But, once again, we MUST see their reactions finally (yeah, I can wish). Speaking of the psychiatrist, we saw Greg with her, was it too difficult to show us what they were talking about? :/

I shouldn’t complain probably, lots of Greg in the episode :D and IMO Riley didn’t dominate it – obviously, she was new so they had to spend some time presenting her character. I think I may grow to like her – well, she comes after Warrick so, as the psychiatrist said she may have hard time (if not with the team, then with me ;)) but I think she started off well.

Hank the Dog was exactly the way Grissom would start speaking about his problems, so I didn’t mind it and the scene when the shrink realized who Hank was and she burst into Grissom’s office – quite amusing. The case itself was pretty involving, sufficiently creepy and Brass was just perfect :D. Glad to see Vartann too.

I just hope that Riley working with Greg on this case doesn’t mean they will be always paired up like that in the future. I SERIOUSLY want to see Nick and Greg on some cases together (maybe then Nick will open up and talk about Warrick??)

I wanna know about next week too!

I may have to rewatch the ep on On Demand because someone had to interrupt me and make me miss a big chunk *grrrrrrr* I did see the aforementioned good lines though.

I agree on wanting some Nick mourning time, or Catherine, either one.

Actually, wasn't George Eads in Monte Carlo when they were shooting this episode? I remember him saying that they had just finished shooting Happy Place prior to coming there...which I really didn't think he would open up to a therapist, I could see him talking to someone on the team...maybe Catherine, Maybe Grissom over a beer,in a way that he isn't showing a lot of emotion but Grissom might see how much Nick is also effected by what happened to Warrick...if Grissom notices Hank's reaction to Warrick then what about Nick's or Catherine's???? This show is driving me crazy!

This episode was pretty good. Much better then last weeks. I figured Riley would get alot of screen time. Doesn't that normally happen when a new character gets introduced? I was starting to think that Greg wasn't going to speak at all this episode. :rolleyes:
I think I will like Riley....I definitely like her better already then I did Ronnie.

I just finished watching it on tv-video.net. I think this ep is kind of a mixed bag IMO. Not really sure what to make of Riley. I think I had about the same reaction to her drug joke as Catherine did TBH.
The whole Grissom talking about Hank thing was slightly cringeworthy at first, until you realise that it's just his way of talking about his own emotions. I wouldn't expect Griss to just open up and start baring all his emotions, it would be OOC.

Like most people I'm annoyed that TPTB still haven't had Nick show a real reaction. I mean come on, the guys best friend was just murdered and he shows nada??? That's just not real!

I am gonna give Riley a chance, cuz it's her first epi, but ATM, not really likeing her.

CSIL3Willows
-x-

CSI was bland last night, though I suppose some letdown is inevitable after the unrelenting drama of Warrick's death. I'm thrilled that they're acknowledging the long-term implications of losing a co-worker and friend. I was afraid that Warrick's death would become Grissom's personal angst cross, but it's clear that everyone is affected. Even snarky, unlikeable Hodges shows a spark of humanity when he doesn't just barge into the grief counselor's office and interrupt Greg's session. Nor does he lord it over Grissom when the normally infallible lab overlord botches what must be--for him, at least--a simple assay test.

The beginning of the end of Gil Grissom came with a simple assay test. It's such a simple thing, a mistake anyone could make, but it's like watching Superman fly into the side of the building, blinded by the sun. Grissom knew in that moment that his time was short. His grief has clouded his eye for detail and his throttled his patience and zest for the human psychodramas that once so enthralled him. It took the death of Warrick for him to realize that the cases he works and the bodies he sees are more than puzzle pieces set down for his amusement. They were people and loved ones who left holes in the souls they left behind. Grissom has his own hole now, and he's discovering at 54 that science doesn't offer the closure and solace he once thought it should. I wonder what he'd say to the parents of the girl who died trying to retrieve her trash can from the dumpster because a man who thought his wife was in labor clipped the dumpster into which she was leaning and ruptured her spleen. He couldn't understand then why the how provided by science wasn't enough to salve their grief.

I bet he does now.

I'm undecided about Riley Adams. I think they're aiming for spunky Gen X rebel grrrl, but what I'm seeing is an obnoxious, well-bathed delinquent. Are you really going to tell your superior that you've got a bag of clean urine in your refrigerator to dodge the random drug tests? On your first day of work, no less, which is certainly long before she has had time to evaluate either your character or your skill?

And are you really going to lip off to your supervisor before you've taken the proverbial lay of the land? Riley did both those things in one night, and that's not counting her inappropriate snarkfest with the grief counselor or her "joke" with Dave. It's not cute, intriguing, or engaging, and she's no Gen X antihero noncomformist badass. It's moronic, and she's an idiot.

She may smooth out given time and development, but the failhammer is clutched in my grubby little hand.

B

I am so utterly proud of Eric. Every single episode he has just got better and better. From someone who has loved him from day 1 I can honestly say he's never acted better and I've never been more proud of him.

I don't know who wrote the episode but they did an awesome (but not perfect) job. There were a few genuinely brilliant lines, such as the "naked Brass" thing, and the surprise of hearing Greg swear.

A lot of us all though that Nick would be the one to be the most affected by Warrick's death and that Greg would be the least, as he wasn't as close to him. I was really surprised to see Hodges going to see the councillor and I felt my affection for him rise - only for my heart to break when I saw Greg. I really, really love that he can feel able to go and ask for help and advice when he needs it, instead of letting it build up until he breaks down. I think he's a really strong person for being able to ask for help. I hope he did that after the events of Fannysmackin' too - although we didn't see it. I just wanted to wrap my arms around him and be there for him. However, I was frustrated at my lack of ability to lip read - I would have liked to have heard what he said.

Loved the storyline, for once the writers cracked it.

I liked how the walls started to fall down for Grissom and he started to reach out for some help. I was also interested to see the sensitivity of Hodges towards Grissom when he made a mistake. Really nice interaction between those two - not brown nosing for once. Hodges is starting to become my second favourite character.

Also nice to see that Eric wasn't bumped down the credits with the introduction of the new girl. Speaking of her, I've not warmed to her yet. I admire her strength but I don't particularly think she'll grow on me.

I wish Greg had carried the boy out of there. No reason - I'd just like to have seen him do something macho ;) I also loved his and Riley's reactions to saving the boy's life.

Since Greg was in the autopsy I really thought he should have been in on the briefing with all the others.

There does seem to be a gap where Warrick once was :(

I think I've covered it all! All in all I loved the episode. After last week's turkey it was a true joy and I can honestly say I'm thrilled to be a CSI fan :D

The beginning of the end of Gil Grissom came with a simple assay test. It's such a simple thing, a mistake anyone could make, but it's like watching Superman fly into the side of the building, blinded by the sun. Grissom knew in that moment that his time was short. His grief has clouded his eye for detail and his throttled his patience and zest for the human psychodramas that once so enthralled him. It took the death of Warrick for him to realize that the cases he works and the bodies he sees are more than puzzle pieces set down for his amusement. They were people and loved ones who left holes in the souls they left behind. Grissom has his own hole now, and he's discovering at 54 that science doesn't offer the closure and solace he once thought it should. I wonder what he'd say to the parents of the girl who died trying to retrieve her trash can from the dumpster because a man who thought his wife was in labor clipped the dumpster into which she was leaning and ruptured her spleen. He couldn't understand then why the how provided by science wasn't enough to salve their grief.

I bet he does now.

You said it beautifully. They also seem to be playing Cat a little toned down; in preparation for her larger role in the offing?

I'm undecided about Riley Adams. I think they're aiming for spunky Gen X rebel grrrl, but what I'm seeing is an obnoxious, well-bathed delinquent. Are you really going to tell your superior that you've got a bag of clean urine in your refrigerator to dodge the random drug tests? On your first day of work, no less, which is certainly long before she has had time to evaluate either your character or your skill?

And are you really going to lip off to your supervisor before you've taken the proverbial lay of the land? Riley did both those things in one night, and that's not counting her inappropriate snarkfest with the grief counselor or her "joke" with Dave. It's not cute, intriguing, or engaging, and she's no Gen X antihero noncomformist badass. It's moronic, and she's an idiot.

She may smooth out given time and development, but the failhammer is clutched in my grubby little hand.

I think Riley's attitude comes from her familial background. I could see it on the face of the counselor when Riley told her both her parents were psychiatrists. Give the kid a little space and time; it must be tough growing up with two people who probably told her exactly what she meant every time she did kid stuff. It's all defense mechanism, right now; hopefully, when she learns she can trust these people, she'll lighten up a little. :)

My thoughts on Art Imitates Life.

I did like this episode but I normally do enjoy the freakly/bizarre type of eps. It had me scratching my head wondering "How can this be?" So I love it when I am left wondering whether something can happen and how. When the gas chamber was explained I thought it was pretty believable.

The suspect was one of those people that make you just sit with your mouth open and think "OMG" he was just so creepy, arrogant, and just plain sick minded.

Riley - She's going to take some getting used to but for the most part I liked her. She was sarcastic and funny, and it was nice to this new female CSI in the lab. Someone who isn't dark, depressing, and complaining but someone who is energetic, fun and happy to be doing their job.

The grief counciling part disappointed me a bit because I thought we'd see more of it. Seeing Greg in the office though Hodges eyes did not sit well with me, I would have preferred to be there with Greg, hearing what he was saying and seeing him cry/show his emotions. But I guess it was better than nothing. Although the whole thing with Grissom and Hank really amused me, I was bracing myself to hear that poor Hank was lonely for Sara but was pleasantly surprised that was not the case. IMO Grissom is still having a hard time dealing with Warrick's death, so he is unable to focus on the details, and he ca't eat.

I would have like to see more of Greg but I can't complain too much, and the part in the morgue with Grissom and the head lice was really a shocking moment. Rarely do we hear Greg us that kind of language but I thought his "Good, I hate those little bastards" was also quite funny.

David's reaction when he tried to ask the boby where the body was, was so funny! We need some humor now and then and this episode provided the drama and the humor.

I loved how Riley and Greg got to play the heroes at the end and save the young boys life. Catherine found where the kid was but it was nice to see someone besides the lead save the day, so to speak.

Yeah, I loved that Cath let the youngest CSIs take the lead in rescuing the boy.

I don't think Riley was trying to be a smart alec. I think she was just a little nervous on her first day and trying to cover that by making sarcastic jokes. I like Sara (most of the time lol) and I like Riley too. I think the two of them would get along well. Wonder if they'll have any scenes together when/if Sara ever returns. :)

And I just have to wonder if Hodges actually heard any of what Greg was saying. He had sort of a surprised look on his face in that scene. Maybe Greg was talking about something else besides Warrick. Perhaps family issues that no one knew about.

This episode was bizzare and off the wall, bodies frozen in time, so weird:cardie: but always interesting those writers, the best in the business so creative... always have something different:wtf: It was something that was strange to say the least, and I see Grissom has his straw hat on again, he really likes that hat. He seemed to be his old self, till the counselor caught him off guard, and what does he mention Hank his dog. He still finds it hard to express his feelings. But later did confide that the dog was listness like he was. He's lost Warrick and for now his girl has left again. The new CSI Riley, I have to wait a while to really analyze her. First impression, she seemed a bit snippy and snobby. And her little joke that Cath didn't get, till she explained it to her. She's certainly no Sara, meaning Sara had an intuitive attitude, and was so right on, and so sweet, smart and so pretty, and her spirit always shinned, and all the team loved her!:(. It was sad to see poor Greggie talking to the thearpist, and presumbly crying, poor baby. Nick is holding back his deep seated pain/grief, and I wonder when he'll finally break down? He's a strong force as always. And what the hell was Hodges doing snaking around watching and listening? But catching Grissom's mistake with the DNA, showing him losing it slightly:confused: Good to see Det. Vartann again, although he just popped up, with no explanation, and no one said "where have you been,"? or nice to see you again. I liked his attitude with the disgusting blogger, he was furious:scream:. and the odd-ball artist, strange character. Saying to Brass, "I'd like to do you nude" and Brass, as always said " I don't do nude, where would I put my badge"?:lol And the last scene with that pervert, and him wanting to "be somebody" & loved having himself filmed, yeah a total freak-show:borg:, and so up-lifting to find the little boy and Riley pumping life back into him. Grissom with his always expartise with the perpertrator. I'll be hard to watch CSI without WP, his overwhelming powerful acting, the delivery of his dialogue, his amazing expressions, his handsome face, he's MAGICAL trippy episode:shifty:

Last edited:
I was hesitant to watch this after the way last week's episode ended, but I have to admit I liked it. Each character got adequate screen time and they all interacted with the newbie. I think Riley will be okay in the long run; she reminds me of the younger Sara with a little Catherine attitude mixed in. They did need to bring in a younger female IMO and I think Riley will be a good fit; time will tell.
I liked the way they dealt with Warrick's death. I'm a big fan of Alex Kingston and I loved her interaction with Grissom in his office. He is clearly suffering from the loss of Warrick and Sara, but as the typical scientist he wants a definitive answer as to when it will be over and he can return to his 'normal' self again. He has evolved over these 8 years, and he can't really understand why he is different. WP was great in this scene. And I loved the Hank mention; I have been worried about him!
And I also loved how they portrayed Hodges of all people picking up on Grissom's struggles. Some good continuity considering their conversation in YKM.
I agree that this episode is sewing the seeds of the new CSI, with Grissom leaving and Catherine and Nick taking over. Somewhat sad, but certainly not as sad as last week.

I rarely watch this CSI anymore, but I turned in last night out of curiousity over the OTT plot, and because I love the guest star, Jeffrey Tambor. :)

A few things and scenes really struck me: Hodges, walking reluctantly to the grief counselor's office, almost looking as if he were trying to talk himself into going to see her, as if he perhaps thought it was a show of "weakness". When he raised his hand to knock at her door and stopped in surprise and he saw an emotional Greg inside, reaching for the box of tissues... I got the distinct impression that Hodges suddenly felt a newfound kinship, of sorts, with the guy who he had a largely adversarial relationship with. Suddenly he realized, through seeing Greg, that feeling grief was okay. Quietly powerful scene, IMO. It would have lost much of it's impact for me, if we had "overheard" Greg, we didn't need to. We saw his tears and grief, through the window.

Also with Hodges, he's the one person more than anyone else in the lab who is consistently a kiss-ass and suck-up to Grissom. So I found it no surprise that it was Hodges who began noticing that something was definitely amiss with the boss whom he basically hero-worships.

Re: Grissom, I think it's a pretty well documented/known theory that our pets can feel and strongly react to our emotions, i.e. if we're feeling sad, they feel it and respond in kind. Surely Grissom would know this, so it was intriguing, to me, that he chose to open up to the grief counselor by sharing his dog Hank's "sad, listless behavior". He must have known full well what she would tell him, that our pets respond to our own emotions, therefore Hank was reacting to Grissom's own grief. (Even though I only watch 1 or 2 eps of this show per season, I can pretty much guess what Heather's role will be in Grissom's life, in a few eps).

Loved Riley. She's strong and sensible enough not to go into this new job feeling out of sorts because she's coming into a long and well established team, or that she's "replacing" a beloved fallen team member. For her, it is what it is, and if they accept her, great; if they don't, tough, she's still going to be there, doing her job. Loved her humor and savvy, and anyone who can catch Cath off guard with a joke is pretty darn good! Grissom seemed to accept her, too.

Loved, loved, loved Jeffrey Tambor's stint as the eccentric artist. Perfectly written and acted, IMO! :thumbsup: The plotline was OTT enough to almost be cartoonish, for me, but still fairly entertaining, overall.

Back