"Art Imitates Life" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I have to admit that I came into this episode with very low standards for Riley because I was being adamant in my "grr Sara left and no one can replace her" outlook. Unfortunately for that outlook, I really liked Riley. She really felt to me like the new kid in school, trying to fit into a well-established group. And the end scene was good because it felt to me like it was setting up the fact that her and Greg are going to be in the show and not just left in the background. Given the fact that Greg's had little screentime over the past season or two, this seems promising.

About Emo!Grissom: I wasn't surprised that Hodges was the one that noticed that something was off. I was, however, a bit surprised that Grissom's so shaken by Sara leaving- and that's mostly what it is. Think about it; last week he was perfectly fine in all of his crime work, and now that she's gone we suddenly have all of these problems like with Hank and with his work. I understand the set up for Grissom's exit, but it felt... sudden to me, I don't know.

2. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

You guys are right. She's no Sara. Riley is more upbeat and funny. It's refreshing to have a new character who can hold her own in a lab of almost all guys.

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

That's a very good description of Riley. I think she's got a tiny bit of Sofia thrown in there too. :lol:

I thought that same thing when she was walking down the hall with those books in her arms. She looked like the new kid in school.

I hope we see some scenes with Riley and Wendy. I think they would get along well.

I also liked the scene where Hodges noticed Grissom's mistake and gently told him about it and offered to take over. Then he told Grissom that it had been a long day and not to worry about the mistake. Hodges did his best to try not to make Grissom feel embarassed about his mistake. I thought that was endearing. I'm liking Hodges more and more.

Oh and I loved the scene with Vartann and the blogger where Vartann was rolling his eyes at the guy. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  4. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Just untacking please feel free to continue the discussion. :)

5. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I have to say, after watching it again, I rather enjoyed it. Last night I said it was just so-so, but, now I like it better.

What I do hope is by bringing in the councelor, that the one's closet to Warrick have chance to open up. I think Hodges showing he's not unbreakable was a good start.

And with Grissom. I've read lots of posts saying that he's on the verge. Yes, Nick is on the verge of a breakdown, But I think Grissom is on the verge of a breakdown as well. The dog thing was his way of not dealing with it.

Of course, I LOVED Vartann. :luvlove: It was great to see him back. I wonder if he's going to do more episodes in the future? :D :drool:

6. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Wow. I feel like I could write a literary analysis on that episode (save the fact that it's tv, not a book). It definitely felt more thought out than many of the episodes in the past few season (and definitely more so than Happy Place... Ugh :brickwall:)

The parts about Arthur being remembered and the significance of turning off the video camera were very tasteful foreshadowing of Grissom's departure.

"Don't worry. You won't be forgotten... (or something like that). You're a legend."

That part definitely felt like a reference to WP/Grissom's legacy on the show. And then Arthur says how "it's not complete without the kid" -- the kid that just happens to look like a mini-Warrick? Nicely veiled hidden meaning. Generally, I tend to get bored with the interrogations scenes, especially where Grissom gets overly analytical (and, IMO, conveys a bit of condescension), but that scene was expertly and subtly done, in terms of both acting and, more than anything, writing.

And then letting the "new blood" in the Lab be the one to rescue the Warrick-look-a-like kid. Wow. As an English major, I was automatically impressed with all of the double meanings. This was one of my favorite episodes in quite a while. It definitely seemed interesting that Greg and Riley, along with Vartann, were the ones to rescue the kid as well, since they would be the only current CSIs who weren't at Warrick's scene, since Greg was at the airport and Riley wasn't on the show yet.

I was also stumped as to whether there was a significance to the murderer's comment, at the beginning of his scene with Grissom, about him wanting to "see" how he's talking, through the screen. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it made me wonder if it was, in some way, a reference to the fact that Grissom grew up "seeing" language, because of his mother's deafness. Also, the fact that he was physically watching his performance on the screen seemed like another reference to WP's departure.

I definitely liked Riley a lot. It's always hard to introduce a new character, and I think they did as good a job as they could. Personally, I love her personality. She seems like the kind of female character that's not afraid to be a... let's just go with 'witch' here. She's got spunk. (Although I'm sure that at least a part of it is that I can't wait to see her interaction with Greggo, though I won't say anything more on that here.)

I really feel like they could have skipped the part with Griss's dog. Also, was I the only one who wasn't thinking of Hank Pettigrew, Sara's ex, when Griss first brought up that name? I just always assumed that Griss's dog was named Bruno, thanks to the lovely fanfiction work of the amazing MsMaggs.

Overall, I loved it!

7. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

It's WP's dog who is named Bruno.

I think naming the dog Hank was TPTB's way of calling Sara's ex a dog. IMO. I agree that Grissom saying he is having problems with his dog is a way of ignoring the real problems he is having with Warrick's death. Some of it is also because Sara left but its mainly Warrick. Someone you care about dying in your arms is very tramatic.

8. GregNickRyanFan

:lol: Could be, but isn't that an unneccessary insult to the poor doggie? :lol:

9. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Lol. Grissom doesn't quite seem like the kind of guy that would be that mean to his dog. He definitely doesn't seem too big on vengeance.

10. iluvgreg80

iluvgreg80 Hit and Run

I also thought about Hank being one of Sara's exes. It could be both the dog and the ex in a way.

I think Nick will break down. Just give it time. I do wonder what Greg was saying. I'd give him a hug.

You have to love Brass's one liners. He's often gets overlooked, but he's a great character. I love how they use humor on this show.
    I think Riley's good so far, but I'm still getting used to her. Sara had her good points, but she got annoying sometimes in a way also.

11. byline

byline CSI Level One

MBGrissom, I'm not going to quote your entire post, but I just wanted to say that you said everything I was going to say about this episode . . . and you probably said it better than I would have! You captured my feelings exactly.

A couple of other points: When we first saw Riley, my husband asked, "Is that Sofia?" He had no idea that a new character was being introduced, and the hair pulled back into a ponytail definitely reminded us both of Sofia. Also, we are big fans of the Canadian series, "Intelligence" (cancelled by CBC in a stunning lack of intelligence); Lauren Lee Smith played Tina in that series, a very different character from the one she's playing in "CSI." But because Riley looks and acts so different from Tina, my husband never did recognize her. I had to explain to him who the actress was. So very good acting on her part!

One other thing: It's glaringly obvious that they are showing virtually no emotional reaction from Nick over Warrick's death. It's so out of character for Nick that I have to believe it's deliberate, that he's burying himself in work and in complete denial of his feelings about the death of his friend, and we're going to see more ramifications of this later on. At least, I hope so.

Ritchie Coster: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0182662/

He did a similarly creepy turn in a "Law & Order" episode called "Bodies": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0629185/

I will never forget his character in that episode; he was that memorable.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  12. GregNickRyanFan

Click on "edit" then click on "go advanced", then at the top of that screen there should be something that says "delete post" with a little circle by it that you click on.

13. byline

byline CSI Level One

Weird, I looked there before, and looked there again now, but I just don't see anything like that. Might it have something to do with my Firefox browser setup? Sorry about all the trouble!

14. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

All done as you asked, it never fully deletes unless you do it in something like the first five minutes but that will work. Course what you had there was fine and no harm was done, next time just click the "Edit" then "Delete" (next to "Go Advanced") and then it will ask to either delete or not to, and any reason for it (which is what you see I put in above).

15. mimefan

mimefan Dead on Arrival

I never knew Jeffrey Tambor was in this episode. Is it a good episode?