Anna/Lindsay #2- Montana Girl in the Big City

Status
Not open for further replies.
^No, I understand where you're coming from. :) I liked the initial change, when she got more comfortable mid-season. But to change from a lighthearted, determined character to an obsessive and angry one is a pretty big change, and with no ostensible motivation, pretty baffling.

^But the anger was coming from cases that hit close to home. And no one can take that kind of drama and it not affect them, yes even cops: that's why they have department counselors. That's not unrealistic, and in fact, the "out of the blue"ness is what in my opinion makes it so powerful and really begs the question: WHY?. They should have answered at least a little more concretely. In the interrogation scene in All Access, the anger was clearly building during the entire scene, and it was clear even at the beginning she was beginning to lose it. Yes, it is uncharacteristic, but that is why it's powerful. Yes maybe it's extreme, but it is an extension of something we've seen all season: when someone cops an attitude with her she cops one back. But when they don't, she doesn't (LOLD). She has changed a lot, but the very basic qualities I think are still there: she's hard-working, conscientious (sorry if misspelled), caring, trusting in her coworkers; and anyone who changes environments so drastically is going to change or not survive. Why do people usually majorly change when going off to college, going to grad school, getting there first jobs, changing jobs? I think Anna Belknap has portrayed her admirably. She is the only character that I've liked from day one.

It's not powerful when Danny yells at suspects, or when Stella does, because they do it all the damn time. I don't like the fact we have really no clue: but I think that is a problem with the writing, we have lots of questions, but NO concrete answers, and we do on all of the others. Lindsay is certainly the most underdeveloped character, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to like her.

As far as Lindsay and Stella- just the looks, the tones they use, and even Lindsay's willingness to come to her, frustrated. I'm not sure we're watching the same show.

I can see why Lindsay would get angry in All Access. She was concerned about her colleague. Just because she is the type to keep quiet and her and Stella don't share scenes doesnt mean she doesn't care.

Edit: I couldn't agree more pizzapie. I think that it shows how much she changed. The differences from Montana and New York are so big, that it's no wonder she would change from light hearted to yelling at suspects.

I think that her and Stella have a great friendship. Just because they dont work every single case together doesnt mean they aren't friends. Flack anf Danny dont work every single case together, but you know they are friends.

lindsstella.jpg

They look cute in that picture. Makes me want to pinch their cheeks. :)

I think Lindsay interacts well with the others too(although we've never really seen that much of her and Hawkes or Flack).

Yeah, I think more scnes between Lindsay and Stella would be nice. How many times do you think they worked together this season?

Letsee...I think they worked on a lot of cases but they're not partnered with each other (you don't see them interrogating a suspect together). The ones I can remember where they worked as partners are Live or Let Die, Wasted, and maybe Necrophilia Americana.

pizzapie said:
^But the anger was coming from cases that hit close to home. And no one can take that kind of drama and it not affect them, yes even cops: that's why they have department counselors. That's not unrealistic, and in fact, the "out of the blue"ness is what in my opinion makes it so powerful and really begs the question: WHY?. They should have answered at least a little more concretely. In the interrogation scene in All Access, the anger was clearly building during the entire scene, and it was clear even at the beginning she was beginning to lose it. Yes, it is uncharacteristic, but that is why it's powerful. Yes maybe it's extreme, but it is an extension of something we've seen all season: when someone cops an attitude with her she cops one back. But when they don't, she doesn't (LOLD).

She actually did yell at the guy in LOLD, when she showed him the picture of Lillian. I guess I could buy one instance, but four or five to me at the end of the season seems like a complete personality change. The anger used to be uncharacteristic of her, and I agree that if we had just seen it once, it would have been quite powerful. But the first few times we saw it, it wasn't justified, so by the time we got to "All Access" and "Stealing Home," I was just wondering when she went off and got so angry.

She has changed a lot, but the very basic qualities I think are still there: she's hard-working, conscientious (sorry if misspelled), caring, trusting in her coworkers; and anyone who changes environments so drastically is going to change or not survive. Why do people usually majorly change when going off to college, going to grad school, getting there first jobs, changing jobs? I think Anna Belknap has portrayed her admirably. She is the only character that I've liked from day one.

She is still hardworking, yes, and that has been consistant. But really, are any of the CSIs not hardworking? As for Belknap, we're just going to have to agree to disagree because the more I think about it, the more I think I'd like Lindsay much better if someone else was playing her.

It's not powerful when Danny yells at suspects, or when Stella does, because they do it all the damn time. I don't like the fact we have really no clue: but I think that is a problem with the writing, we have lots of questions, but NO concrete answers, and we do on all of the others. Lindsay is certainly the most underdeveloped character, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to like her.

I disagree here--Danny and Stella don't yell all the time. They are always tough with suspects, and aggressive in their questioning, but when Danny yells people do sit up and take notice, like so many did when he got upset in "Bad Beat." Carmine and Melina are simply better at carrying these scenes than Anna is.

As far as Lindsay and Stella- just the looks, the tones they use, and even Lindsay's willingness to come to her, frustrated. I'm not sure we're watching the same show.

Me neither, as I'm still not seeing a concrete example, at least not from you. I think towards the end of the season they worked well together, but I still didn't see signs they were friends.

AlyssaluvsDanny said:
I think that her and Stella have a great friendship. Just because they dont work every single case together doesnt mean they aren't friends. Flack anf Danny dont work every single case together, but you know they are friends.

lindsstella.jpg

While I don't think bonding over seeing Mac with the kid in "Necrophilia Americana" necessarily means they have a friendship, I do think it was a nice moment and shows that they are on good terms and get along well enough to share a joke.

Danny and Flack have a long-standing friendship that we've heard about since the first episode, when Danny made mention of them playing basketball together outside of work on a Saturday. I don't expect to see that from Stella and Lindsay to see that they're friends (many have mentioned the Danny and Flack friendship is unique in the CSI world), but I just don't think there's much to go on to say that they're friends. The same was true of Stella and Aiden--I thought it was telling that Stella happened to run into her and said she'd call, but neither of them did. It could be that Stella and Lindsay will get to be friends, but I think at this point it's too early to tell.

^ Stella has been a confidant for Lindsay since her first day.

When Danny yells, I took notice by cringing, especially during S1, especially when it took Aiden to get him away. He doesn't do it in S2 the same way, and it makes it better and far more powerful. When Lindsay yelled, I went "Whoa." When Mac yells, I sit up and take notice, because he doesn't, even when he's being aggressive. It doesn't take yelling to be so. It's far more interesting when someone who is normally mild yells than someone who does it all time yells, and in a drama, is rife for possibilities for character development.
If you're saying she yelled in LOLD, we have different definitions of it, because she didn't. I also took that initial interrogation scene as her trying to shake up the guy, and given the way they started it, a good amount of investigative work had already been done. She's yelled twice, and in the middle of all that drama, it's very realistic. Danny probably didn't because he knew he had to be on his best behavior, Stella was never really in a situation to. Mac certainly yelled at the DHS woman in COTP (don't remember her name). And anyway I don't think it would even take Lindsay being close to lose it over Stella: here's someone who is very strong, who she works with, and she's just been assaulted and you have the skills to help her but can't. You can't even go talk to her to see if she's all right. And then you have someone who's not exactly being straightforward with you. I really felt Anna Belknap pulled the scene off well, I could see/hear the growing exasparation. Would it have been more realistic to spread it out? I'm not sure, because it would have been even more out of the blue. It's much more realistic when it was several cases in a row that hit her. And you can say what you want to about packing in the drama in all the last eps, but it was sweeps, and we didn't have Feb sweeps this year, they were trying to do 2 months worth in one.

I think my problem is with your statement about Necrophilia Americana, is that why would they have if they weren't close. I don't think they're friends, in the sense that Danny and Flack are, but Stella is obvious a mentor to Lindsay, and that is a different relationship.

clhawk said:
JDonne, I'm just curious, with all the comments of psychological issues and personality disorders you have made, are you a therapist or psychologist of some sort?

Actually, I am credentialed and state certified in therapy and counseling, which entailed clinical work and an exam. Therapy and counseling are also one of the components of my second Master's degree. Sorry to disappoint you.

Ali

pizzapie said:
^ Stella has been a confidant for Lindsay since her first day.

A confidant, based on one two minute conversation? I guess our definitions of confidant differ as well.

When Danny yells, I took notice by cringing, especially during S1, especially when it took Aiden to get him away.

That was a moment where we were supposed find Danny's actions questionable (I assume you are referring to "The Dove Commission"). I don't think I was supposed to cringe when Lindsay yelled, but that was certainly the effect it had on me and many others.

When Mac yells, I sit up and take notice, because he doesn't, even when he's being aggressive.

Agreed, and also part of that is probably that Gary Sinise is one hell of an actor.

If you're saying she yelled in LOLD, we have different definitions of it, because she didn't.

So she didn't yell when she slammed down the photo of Lillian Stanwick and said, "Really? Because I can't get her out of my head!" (Something to that effect.)

And anyway I don't think it would even take Lindsay being close to lose it over Stella: here's someone who is very strong, who she works with, and she's just been assaulted and you have the skills to help her but can't. You can't even go talk to her to see if she's all right. And then you have someone who's not exactly being straightforward with you. I really felt Anna Belknap pulled the scene off well, I could see/hear the growing exasparation. Would it have been more realistic to spread it out? I'm not sure, because it would have been even more out of the blue.

No, my problem is not with it being sudden. The suddenness I accept. It's the acting and fact that Stella and Lindsay have no special bond that I've seen that I take issue with. I guess Lindsay could have just been upset because it was someone she knew, I'll buy that, but I think it would have been more effective for the show to have someone closer to Stella, like Mac or Danny, show a little emotion, not to mention someone who can pull it off better than Anna.

And you can say what you want to about packing in the drama in all the last eps, but it was sweeps, and we didn't have Feb sweeps this year, they were trying to do 2 months worth in one.

This is a whole other issue, but cramming is never effective.

I think my problem is with your statement about Necrophilia Americana, is that why would they have if they weren't close. I don't think they're friends, in the sense that Danny and Flack are, but Stella is obvious a mentor to Lindsay, and that is a different relationship.

Now Stella is a mentor to Lindsay? :confused: Take a look at Mac and Danny--that's a real mentor/protege relationship. Mac is concerned about Danny's advancement and also admonishes him when he tries to go off on his own and not follow the evidence. Since when has Stella taken any interest in Lindsay's advancement as a CSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back