American Idol

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by ziggystarduzt, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I was as well, surprised it was Arron, I really thought it would be Casey, no offense against him, but what still amazes me is the poor kid was eliminated and then he has to sing..again..the same song he didn't do well on the first time "Fly Me To The Moon",:cardie: he's only 17, so he'll be fine down the line and will be on the tour with the other ones who were eliminated earlier~

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I didn't think he did that bad on the song... but I think when they are going home they should be allowed to sing whatever they want. :lol:

3. GregNickRyanFan

Lee- Kiss From A Rose by Seal from Batman Forever - Nice voice, but he didn't do anything new with the song. I agree with Simon it was bordering on karaoke. Really good Karaoke, but Karaoke nontheless.

Michael- something by Michael Jackson from Free Willy- I didn't hear most of his performance because I was out in the garage, but what I did hear sounded okay.

Casey- Mrs. Robinson- Simon and Garfunkel from The Graduate- I thought he sounded good and I like the small guitar. He had on a really pretty bluish-green jacket too. :) Ellen cracked me up when she said "I wish they would have given you a big boy guitar". :guffaw:

Crystal- I'm Alright- Kenny Loggins from Caddyshack - She did okay, much better than the past two weeks... but it still wasn't up to par with her earlier songs.

I figured they'd choose songs from big hit blockbusters, but instead they chose songs from smaller movies. Batman Forever, Free Willy, The Graduate (which most of the younger Idol viewers have probably never seen... heck, I'm a little bit older than Casey and I've never seen The Graduate... premise sounds boring to me, so I never watched it) and Caddyshack? I'm just glad no one did the Titantic song (which has been done to death lol).

The Duets:

Crystal and Lee- What the heck were they singing? I didn't understand a word of it to be honest. They sounded good voice wise, but I couldn't make out much of what the words were. What movie was that song from?

Casey and Michael- Don Juan song "Have You Every Really Loved A Woman" (Bryan Adams). At first I was worried about the two of them paired together because of their differing musical styles, but they worked better together than I thought they would. And I thought it sounded pretty good. Casey started off a little rough and there was one note where Michael was pitchy/sharp on, but everything else was pretty good. :)

Simon hadn't seen any of those movies? :lol: I liked when Ryan said they were gonna rent Simon some movies after the show. :lol:

I'm gonna have to watch part of tomorrow's ep... well, tape and watch later most likely. Cause Bon Jovi's gonna be there! Woo-hoo. And Daughtry is back! :D

4. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

According to the news on Yahoo, here is your answer. Crystal Bowersox and Lee DeWyze ascended with "Falling Slowly" from the film "Once,"

And you can get the lyrics Here - Go down a little.

5. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I thought Crystal and Lee were awesome last night! I've already downloaded the song. :)
    The rest of the performances were forgettable. Not bad, just blah. Poor song choices, IMO.
    I think Mike may be leaving tonight, but at this point who knows.

6. GregNickRyanFan

I've never heard of that movie. :lol:

Crystal and Lee sounded okay, but I couldn't understand it. I don't know maybe it was just my station messing up a little or something (CW does that a lot so its possible Fox did too).

7. Desertwind

My opinion of last nights 4 remaining contestants, Jamie Foxx as their mentor and it was "songs from movies"~

LEE "Kiss From The Rose" originally sung by Seal~
    He did really great, nice version I like his raspy voice~

MICHAEL "Will You Be There" originally sung by Michael Jackson~
    He's definately got the cap on the blues, well done, a great voice~

CASEY "Mrs. Robinson"~ Simon and Garfunkel~
    Boring song, he's got potential, but usually sings the wrong tunes Ellen: "I wished they had of given you a big boy guitar":lol:

CRYSTAL "I'm All Right" originally sung by Lenny Loggins~
    Great song, and once again she kicked it out of the ballpark she's fantastic, a perfect song for her. Her hair:eek: YIKES, with feathers a intertwined with braids:confused: It looked like a giant birds nest:(But trying to ignore her hair I think she's the one:bolian:

The duet by Lee and Crystal 'Falling Slowly" was great, nice harmony, it was sweet and charming Ellen: "You're the new Capt & Tenille":lol:

8. GregNickRyanFan

And I'm sure the younger audience members were going, "Who is Captain and Tenille?" :lol: I've only heard about them in passing. The show was a little before my time I think. :lol:

DW, I agree with you that the song "Mrs. Robinson" is kind of a boring song, but I do think Casey did a good job with it. I just wish he had picked something else. Maybe Power Of Love from Back To the Future. Or GNR's You Could Be Mine from Terminator 2 or heck even Aerosmiths song from Armageddon. :lol:

9. Desertwind

You're right GNRF on the 'Capt. & Tennille' they were a duo way back when, and extremly popular and appeared in Las Vegas and other famous clubs. Ellen is like 51, so she & me & others would remember them.;)

http://captainandtennille.net/

10. GregNickRyanFan

jtd, seems you were right about who was leaving the show. I didn't watch it cause I was watching CM, but I was nervous too cause I thought for sure it'd be Casey. My mother told me Casey was the first person they said was safe. Imagine my shock. I'm glad Casey made it this far, but I didn't think he would. I still think the finale will be between Crystal and Lee though. I'll be surprised if Lee or Crystal is voted off next week.

11. Desertwind

See, I as well thought it would be Casey he's just to me not got the personailty, voice or stage presence that Michael does. I actually shed tears when they eliminated Michael. I liked him from the beginning. I do think that the winnder will be Crystal and my daughter read that their going to do a complete make-over with her and fix her hair & teeth:bolian:

12. Desertwind

The last remaining contestants are on tonight CRYSTAL, CASEY AND LEE so that's pretty much it, and who will be? I'll say Crystal:bolian:

13. GregNickRyanFan

They all sang their songs well, but... I prefer Jason Castro's version of Hallelujah to Lee's personally. To me Lee's version made me feel like I was in church listening to the choir. He sounded great though, I just didn't like the choir singing with him. :lol:

I have a problem with Crystal's last song. She sang "maybe I'm a man, maybe I'm a lonely man" to me that felt a little lazy. I think she could have changed it to "girl" or "woman" without too much trouble. But she sang it well. It was just like more singing along with the radio rather than performing. Most of the time the contestants change words like that to reflect them personally. She didn't and that really bugged me. I still think she's gonna win though. We've had a guy win for the last two years, so it's time for a girl to win again.

I love it when Casey does the vulnerable stuff, so I enjoyed his singing the John Mayer song. :)

I loved that Lee sang "Simple Man". I love that song and he did it rather well. :)

"Come To My Window" is so overused on this show though. :lol: I don't care for the song to begin with. She sang it well though.

I love all three of the remaining contestants and I'm fine with either one of them winning... so it doesn't really matter to me at this point. But I do think it'll be between Lee and Crystal and that Crystal will win. :)

14. Desertwind

My opinions of last nights 3 remaining contestants, Part one~

CASEY "Ok, It's All Right With Me"
    It was just "all right", I've never heard this song before and don't care if I ever hear it again, at least not by him. Boring, sorry I think he will be the next one eliminated~

CRYSTAL "Come To My Window" Melissa Ethridge~
    What can't she do fabulous, I also don't remember hearing this song before but she belted it, and she's got soul, and everybody knows~

LEE "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynrd~
    He's good, a really strong voice but not my favorite song choice~

CASEY "Daughters" by John Mayer~
    More boing than his last one. I just can't see him winning this contest:(

CRYSTAL "Maybe I'm Amazed" by Sir Paul McCartney. One of my favorite Paul songs:bolian:
    Now were talking, she kicked it out of the park, absoutely fantastic it gave me chills. A powerful rendition, I never thought anyone could sing this song except Paul, but she did:bolian: I PICK HER;)

LEE "Hallelujah" by Lenonard Cohen~
    Great voice and good song choice, he wailed, and he's so laid back and mellow without being boring~

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  15. Desertwind

So CASEY got axed, I figured it would be him, down to Lee and Crystal. It was interesting to see where they all are from him from Cool, Texas, Crystal form Toledo, Ohio, and Lee from Chicago~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.