American Idol

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by ziggystarduzt, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I didn't think they ever eliminated anyone on the Idol Gives Back night. It would be more charitable not to eliminate anyone. :lol:

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Last nights "Idol Gives Back" was a spectatular show it rocked. And it started at 8:pm and ran till 10:15:eek: A brief overview and BTW they eliminated Tim:(

The opening presented our President Obama and first lady Michelle, talking about "Save The Children" and how they were supportive of this charity. Nice touch, they both looked great;)

Opening song with the whole group was beautiful!

Queen Latifah introduced Jennifer Garner in poverty stricken Kentucky with a poor family who this service has helped~

Victoria Beckham also helping out~

Then "The Blackeyed Peas", I wished I had Fergie's figure, they were great~

Ryan in Africa with kids dying of Malaria, how dark ages, because they don't have Mosquito nets, or the right drugs to help them:(

Geroge Lopez was funny,:lol: he was judging the judges~ to long to post~

Jeff Beck and Josh Stone doing CCR's "I Put A Spell On You", fantastic:thumbsup:

Morgan Freeman in rural Mississippi [where he lives] with Randy, also helping the poor kids with new books~

Alicia Keys singing "Concrete Jungle" about her city New York~

Carrie Underwood, sorry I missed her song~

Ryan interviewing Bill and Melinda Gates about this great cause, and how they've also been to Africa helping the poor kids~

Wanda Skyes, also hysterical, how they eliminate a contestant the ask "oh will you sing another song, for us, so we can see why America didn't vote for you" I've always thought that was so bogus and embarassing:rolleyes:

David Cook over in Ethopia helping out little girls who've lost theri moms to AIDS~

Annie Lennox in Africa and a little girl with pneumonia, and HIV, who was so emaciated I cried, and then she got the help from the "Save The Children" and was happy and healthy, from deaths door to OK, for now:bolian:

She also sang was stranded over in England because of the volcanic ash thing~

Mary J. Blige w/ our own Randy rocking out on the guitar singing "Stairway To Heaven" fantastic~

The Simon in rural Arizona, with a traveling medical bus, who helped more poor improvished kids, He was a big pussycat, and was hugging the kids, very touching:bolian: and said that as of then they had raised 15 million/b] so far, how great is that?

And then to top it off, Queen Latifah introduced Sir Elton John, BOWS, who also talked about helping and getting tested for any type of disease, and then he sang "Your Song" as always phenomenal;)

GOOD SHOW~

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  3. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Pretty sure they eliminated Tim. :p Lee was one of the first contestants deemed safe.

At any rate, it was an entertaining couple of hours. The only performance that held any real water for me though, was Carrie Underwood. Loved seeing David Cook again, too. :D

4. Desertwind

OOPS, your right It was Tim, it was typo:(

5. Desertwind

A article about "AI" called "LIVING OUT LOUD" Behind the scenes with IDOLS Vocal coaches~

Every week, fans watch their favorite American Idol get his or her two minutes of glory on stage. What they don't see, though, is the grueling week of preparation that goes into those brief moments in front of the judges. They've got only five day to perfect their song for the week, so just like a physical trainer it puts contestants through their paces on other reality shows, the Idols are pushed and prodded along by the show's vocal coaches. That coaching quartet -Debra Byrd, Dorian Holley, Michael Orland & Matt Rohde recently gave TV Guide a peek at their week behind the scenes. "Thursday is our Monday, says Holley, who coaches with Orland. That's the day when everyone starts from scratch and each Idol gets an hour with a coaching team to narrow down a song choice. If a contestant can't choose quickley enough, the coaches will kick them out of the room, and it's back to the drawind board. "It's an overwhelming process", says Byrd, who partners with Rohde. "I've had people actually go into a fetal positions, because they couldn't figure out what to sing" Siobhan Magnus has taken to heart their advice about making decisions. "People were nay-saying my song choces and Dorian said "What matters. is do you dig it"? He reminds you that's what it comes down to. The next day, the Idols return to the coaches for 30 intensive minutes, where everyone's needs aredifferent. For instance Andrew Garcia [who BTW was just voted out] looked to Rohde for help with his arrangements. "If I'm playing a chord, he'd show me another chord that's better" For Casey James, it's more about moral support. "I[m doing exactly what I've been doing for 11 years", he says. "Dorian and Michael get me in the place I need to be spiritually and mentally and get me prepared" Michael Lynche, meanwhle, gets help exercising control"[Matt and Byrd] really keep me harnessed in", he explains. "I hear alot of stuff in the song and I try to sing it all, so they keep me from oversinging it and finding the true heart of the song". On Saturdays, the celebrity memtors arrive, but that doesn't mean time off for the coaches. They are always there, in case the musical number changes. "It's actually fun", says Orland. The last couple of mentors we've had sat the exact same thing to the contestants we say all week. But in the rare case we change something, they've been good changes. Aaron Kelly has embraced this process of making a song his own, and credits his improvement to the advice from Holley and Orland. "Michael and Dorian always teach us to add personailty to the song", he says. "They help me out alot" The coaches only get one day off Sunday, when the contestants shoot their Ford commercial. Mondays and Thursdays are all about perfecting the song, and the coaches make sure the singers dont' go overboard at rehersals. "It took week's for them to realize yo can't give the best performance at a sound check", says Orland. That, he says, is how the Idols lose their voices. "They don't realize they've never sung as mch as they're about to sing now", adds Holley, "And never will again". That includes recording the full version of their songs for iTunes, stage rehersals and the infamous group number, which they record with musical director Rickey Minor on Monday evenings. Then, finally, it's showtime. By Tuesday, the coaches can be more nervous then the contestants, sayd Byrd. "You can't help them and you can't save them, it's a horrible feeling, but it's also the day that makes all the hard work and long hours worthwhile". "When the contestant does an amazing performance, and the crowd's going nuts, I feel like I was a part of that", says Rohde, and it's a pretty cool thing"

Carita Rizzo, TV Guide writer~

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  6. GregNickRyanFan

OMG! You gotta be freakin' kidding me! They're gonna do Shania songs tonight? Man, I feel for the guys. :lol: There aren't too many of her songs that are neutral. Most of them are very girly songs. :lol: I'm thinking a guy will definitely get voted off this week. :lol:

7. Desertwind

Your right wow, How country as well. This would be tough for the guys:( it's opposite "DWTS" damn:( thank gawd for my DVR~

8. GregNickRyanFan

Okay, so I was worried for the guys for nothing really. :lol:

Lee- Pretty good job with "Still The One" and I had a feeling that's the song he'd sing.

Michael- didn't know the song, couldn't understand what he was saying part of the time. Felt a little sleepy to me. He seems to give the same type of performance every week. To me he always sounds the same. :shrugs: He's got a good voice though.

Casey- Wow! He connected with the song! So happy about that! He even looked a little teary eyed at the end of it like he was really feeling the song. Great job. I agree with the judges, my favorite Casey performance EVER and I think the best of the night (Lee's in second place, Aaron's in third). :)

Crystal- I don't think that was the right song choice for her regardless of her personal situation. I agree with the judges on her performance. I was disappointed because I usually always like her, but tonight I didn't care for her performance. And it hurts to say that, it really does. :( I wish she'd done that song about the children... I can't remember the name of it "God Bless The Child" or something like that maybe? I think that would have been perfect for her. I think "No One Needs To Know" is just a little too quirky for her. Her and Siobhan should have switched songs. :lol:

Aaron- I had a feeling he'd sing that song. I chuckled when he changed the "make love" line to "show love". So cute and innocent like. And then he said he was singing it for his mom. Awww! Adorable. He did a great job.

Siobhan- I didn't get it. I really didn't. Felt like karaoke to me honestly. I knew she'd sing "Any Man Of Mine" though. But I didn't care for it that much. And that screaming note does NOT belong in EVERY song! It didn't fit this song at all in my opinion. And Simon had the line of the night with "it sounded like you were giving birth". :guffaw:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  9. Desertwind

Thank's GNRF I enjoy reading other fans thoughts and opinions, here's mine~

It was Shania Twain's night, she's sweet and passionate about her songs, I had no idea she was such a talented song writer. I'm not a big country music fan although, I love Willie Nelson [saw him in concert] and Charlie Daniels, Reba, Keith Urban and Clint Black, & a few others, but was not really aware of how many songs she'd written:eek:

LEE "Your Still The One"~
    I like his voice, good job really enjoyable Ellen:"All aboard for the Shania Twain":lol:

MICHAEL "It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing"~
    Beautiful, it gave me chill's. He's a real sweetheart~

CASEY "Don't"~
    I lked it, nice job, put his whole heart and soul in it Ellen: "like Bob Seger" good comparsion~

CRYSTAL "No One Needs To Know"~
    What can one say about her, everything she does is fantastic, perfect on every song choice. I do hope that down the line she gets a new hair-do and gets those two front missing teeth replaced. She's a pretty sweet gal but that does distract from her look~

AARON "You Got Away"~
    Gret, really sang it to perfection, such great depth and he's only 17:eek:

SIOBHAN "Any Man Of Mine"
    Way too country for my taste, good and she has a strong voice, but again she was yelling at the end:( and another bizarre outfit~

10. GregNickRyanFan

I figured Siobhan would be voted off.

Casey didn't deserve to be in the bottom two though. He was the best last night IMO. I think some of his fans were thinking he was probably safe (since all of the judges liked his performance), so they didn't vote. They can't think like that cause if every one of his fans did then he'd get no votes. :lol:

I think the finale will be between Lee and Crystal. :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  11. Desertwind

Casey is cute, but kinda of a blah personailty:( and now it's down to the wire on the singing and the personal traits. I think it's between Michael and Crystal.~

12. Desertwind

The final five perform tonight:bolian:Singing Frank Sinatra songs, OK this should be interesting. Harry Connick Jr. is their mentor~I just hope nobody sings "Fly Me To The Moon" or "My Way"

CRYSTAL
    MICHAEL
    CASEY
    AARON
    LEE

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  13. GregNickRyanFan

Crystal apparently had another off night according the judges. I didn't hear much of her performance cause I was flipping back and forth between AI and NCIS. :lol:

Casey, oh man I knew this would be a bad one for him. I love him dearly, but that was just not very good. Unfortunately I think he may be going home tomorrow. :(

Everyone else did pretty good.

If Casey leaves tomorrow, I'm gonna stop watching cause its too hard to flip back and forth between three different shows and I always end forgetting one of them (forgot Dancing tonight). I don't have DVR, so...

Harry Connick Jr is so cute. :)

Anyone know who the mentors are going to be for the rest of the season?

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  14. Desertwind

A brief overview of last nights show. And Frank Sinatra the "King Of Cool", Mr. Smooth, and once again brutal to try and sing his songs. The beginning with his daughters Tina and Nancy presenting Simon with a monogramed handkerchief, he was so thrilled. FS is his favorite singer of all time:bolian:Harry Connick Jr. was so nice and so funny:lol:

AARON My worst nitemare singing "Fy Me To The Moon" OUCH, it was terrible no one can sing this but Frank:(

CASEY "Blue Skies"~
    Awful, he was so off key and didn't hit the notes:rolleyes: I was cringing YIKES:confused:

CRYSTAL "Summer Wind"~ I love this song;)
    I thought she did a good job as always, it wasn't great, but at least she could sing it decently but once again nobody can sing this like FS, if you've ever heard him sing it~

MICHAEL "The Way You Look Tonight"~
    He did this good, his own version very blusey and sounded like a crooner which Frank was~the best, so far~

LEE "That's Life"
    He to me also slid off his notes & way too pitchy:( please don't sing a famous song like this if you can't do it He did however show more personailty and the band was incredible with this one~

I wished they cold choose songs that one can't compare to famous groups or famous singers, It kills them:eek:

15. GregNickRyanFan

I agree. They shouldn't have touched Frank's songs. Elvis is a different story because many people have done his songs in many different ways, but Frank is something else altogether. Frank's song styles aren't really songs that sound good done any other style. :lol: It was a HUGE mistake for the producers or whatever to choose Frank Sinatra songs this week. They should have saved that for the final three IMO.

ETA: I'm shocked. Casey wasn't even in the bottom two this week. This is weird. He did fantastic vocals last week and he was in the bottom two. He did not so great this week and he's safe. :lol: The fans must have thought he was safe last week cause all the judges praised him, so they didn't vote and this week they must have voted like crazy cause they were worried he'd get the boot.

I can't believe Aaron was voted off though. Maybe his fans thought he was safe and didn't vote. :shrug:

Last edited: May 6, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.