American Idol

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by ziggystarduzt, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apostilleus

apostilleus Civilian

American Idol (titled American Idol: The Search for a Superstar in the first season) is a reality competition to find new solo musical talent, created by Simon Fuller. It debuted on June 11, 2002, and has since become one of the most popular shows on American television. Part of the Idol franchise, it is a spinoff from the reality program Pop Idol, which was created by British entertainment executive Simon Fuller and first aired in 2001 in the United Kingdom.
    The program seeks to discover the best singer in the country through a series of nation-wide auditions. The American public decides the outcomes of the later stages through phone voting. The judges give critiques of the contestants' performances: Grammy award -winning record producer and music manager Randy Jackson; Grammy award-winning pop singer and Emmy award-winning choreographer Paula Abdul; award-winning music executive and music manager Simon Cowell; and Grammy award-nominated singer-songwriter and record producer Kara DioGuardi. The format originally featured three judges with DioGuardi added in the eighth season.
    The show is hosted by television personality Ryan Seacrest. Comedian Brian Dunkleman co-hosted with Seacrest during the first season. The American Idol band is led by Rickey Minor.

[​IMG]

Adam Lambert

2. Della

Della Police Officer

Sorry about the lateness of this but I heard Steve Martin (My ultimate favourite comedian, followed very closely by Eddie Izzard) was going to be on this so, for the last time, I watched American Idol.

I’ll be brief. Adam was not that good, but then Kris was even worse.

I thought Adam completely and utterly ruined “A Change is Gonna Come” but did okay with the other two “Mad World” and “No Boundaries” (Though No Boundaries did sound a bit out of tune in places). I honestly think Adam’s biggest problem is that he makes no connection whatsoever with the songs he’s singing. It’s all big Drama to him which is a shame because on the quieter moments he hits the notes perfectly, if he could only tone down the dramatics and bring a bit of reality to the songs, I do think he could be fantastic. Can’t see it happening though, to be brutally honest

For me, Kris managed to ruin all the songs he sang with his insipid, weak vocals, and that’s about all I can say about his performances.

Was I surprised by the result? Kind of but then I’ve had a bad feeling about what the result will be since Danny left, because I suppose they had to justify Kris making the final over Danny, and so I guess this was the only way to do that.

All in all, I think this years American Idol could have been really good, ending with a stonking good final but they, the PTBs and/or the voters, seriously, seriously blew it, to the point that this years Idol was a complete and utter sick joke.

Edited to add: Just seen the second show and after hearing Danny sing "Hello" and then duet with Lionel Richie it is absolutely criminal that he wasn't in the final. Criminal!!! Best thing of the whole evening for me, followed extremely closely by Steve Martin's one liner when he was asked who he thought the winner should be LOL!

:)

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Steve Martin cracked me up when he said that. :lol:

By the way, that "No Boundaries" song... I honestly thought it was just awful. We went from beautiful songs like "A Moment Like This" and whatever the other was the first season and last seasons "Time Of My Life" to something like "No Boundaries"? I know Kara can write much better than that cause I know some of the songs she's written for other artists and they are outstanding, but No Boundaries was not.

As for Adam not winning, I'll reiterate what a lot of fans on the tvguide website said, Adam didn't need the win. He's already a star in his own right, having been in Broadway shows and whatnot. Kris was unknown before this competition.

4. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Thank's apostilleus for all the cool links and the pc. of ADAM, he was simply overwhelming and his songs out of this world:bolian: everything he sang was magnificent, my daughter and myself are from San Diego, and he's so popular and fans are crazed over him. He's already got mega offers coming in. He's like a latter day ELVIS, and we all know how he soared~

5. lox3csimiami22

lox3csimiami22 Hit and Run

Truthfully, I'm glad that Kris won. :lol:

6. Missing

Missing Pathologist

I have to say that Adam was the reason I watched Idol this season and even my mom who usually hates this show was watching him. Yes he might be over the top and theatatrical but come on thats what people want to see or at least I do. KISS is a very over the top and they are reguarded as one of the best rock groups. I loved Adams singing and love the way he can get those notes out. Second will mean nothing as he will make his own way into the music industry now that he got the exposure because I really doubt that Kris if he would have come in second been able to get that.

7. Desertwind

Me too, he was phenomenal, riveting the best ever I've seen on 'AI' he guested this morning on "Live with Regis and Kelly" and was so sweet and un-pretentious.. So down to earth and laid back, not conceited at all, sweet and kind and usually this type of tantalizing person is does not have all these wonderful traits. He sang "Mad World" what a great song for him, he does is perfect:bolian:

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  8. luf100

luf100 Coroner

Did anyone see the supposed news that AT&T (the only cell phone company you can send text votes through apparently) "helped" Kris win by having some representatives go to the parties in his town and teach people how to vote by sending bulk texts with as many as 10 messages each, with sample cell phones they brought with them? :rolleyes:

As much as I liked Adam I'm not about to believe a rumour like that is how Kris won. :lol:

Here's a link.

Even if it is true, it's still fair isn't it? :/ I mean even if they did go there and teach those people how to send bulk texts, those people still wanted Kris to win. I guess the thing is that it was actual people from AT&T, and if they're the only company people can vote through they shouldn't have had a bias as to who won and who's little get togethers they visited. If they were going to do this they should have gone to Adam's hometown too. :/ I unno. *shrug*

I also agree with this from the article:

That's true. There were over 100 million votes. I don't think that two parties of people sending 10 messages in bulk would have effected it THAT much.

9. Desertwind

Adam Lambert is on the cover of the new "Rolling Stone" magazine, really exceptional photo, and loads of photos inside all about him and his likes and dislikes. So he came in 2nd but covets a top magazine cover:bolian:

10. GregNickRyanFan

So, what does everyone think about the news that Paula Abdul will not return for the new season? It's apparently her own decision (according to her tweets). If the producers decide to stick with the 4 judges format, who do you think could replace Paula? Personally, I could see Whitney Houston on there or someone like that. Maybe they could get Dolly Parton or Reba McEntire.

11. Della

Della Police Officer

If they're going to go for an American replacement I think Dolly Parton would be a good choice, but if they go for a British replacement then I think Sharon Osbourne would be a good choice because she's wacky, eccentric and sometimes lets her libido do the talking, but most of the time you do feel as if she's being honest and truthful. *shrug*

The thing is if they got rid of Kara as well and just had three judges, Randy, Sharon and Simon, I might just be tempted back to watch another season.

:)

12. GregNickRyanFan

Sharon is a judge on America's Got Talent though, so I don't know if she'd want to. I know both shows aren't on at the same time being that AGT is on in the summer, but... yeah I could see her being a good choice. Much better than other suggestions that were made. Someone suggested Ellen degeneres. I have nothing against Ellen, but honestly... does she actually know about music more than the average music listener? I mean, Simon's a music producer, Kara's a singer-songwriter, Randy's a musician...

The other one people suggested was Jessica Simpson. They were saying she's got a lot in common with Paula... playing on the fact that Jessica's had some dense moments on her reality show. Okay, I see that part of it and it might be good in some ways to have a judge who is closer to the contestants ages, but I can't see Jessica fitting in.

Maybe they could get someone like Debbie Gibson (she was a judge on Junior Idol I believe not to mention she definitely has the credentials- she's been writing her own songs since she was a teenager) or even Kylie Minogue. I still think Whitney would be a good choice though, if she was willing to do it. Or maybe Janet Jackson, if she had the time. Oooh... or what about Shania Twain?

13. Desertwind

I heard this morning, the news on 'SHOWBIZ TONIGHT" that Paula is re-negotiating her contract as we speak:eek: Ther network got so many fan letters and were outraged about her departure, that she might be there after all. [bet she is]:cool:

14. GregNickRyanFan

Haha! I figured that might happen. If she doesn't agree to return, they said they were just gonna have various guest judges until they decided upon a permanent one.

15. Desertwind

The handwriting is on the wall, after all she's 48, and if they offered her more $$$$ I think she'll take it, she was in N.Y. and on TMZ the other night [she'd just filmed "DROP DEAD DIVA"] and was ranting "I'm a dancer, I'm a dancer" well sweetie, who wants to see a 48 yr. old dancer:rolleyes: and where are you going to dance? take the deal~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.