American Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rock and Roll week and Slash (YAY!) is the mentor.

I'm really going to like this week! :D

Slash is the mentor? That's cool. I loved when they had Jon BonJovi as the mentor and now they've got Slash. Cool! I want Sebastian Bach next time. :D

On a sad note: I just heard that David Cook's brother Adam passed away this weekend from brain cancer (which he'd been battling for 10 yrs) :(. He was 37 years old. My condolences go out to David and the rest of his family.

Wow tonight was a treat, first Slash and then the duets. Very good choice for the duet songs. Kris and Danny did great...I think it unnerved Kris to have Simon say he did worse then Danny. Adam and Alison rocked, though I think they should have paired one rocker with someone who wasn't...it seemed unbalanced to me.

Adam - Holy buckets, I hope Zeppelin was watching and saw that. Collaboration in the future? I think so. This was my favorite Adam performance he had it formt he get go. Though the duet pants here :drool: lol.

Allison - Randy was right that is wasn't the right Joan Jet song for her. Her vocals were great but didn't match the song at all. The duet was more her speed.

Kris - Dude that was great...but I think you were still reeling over that Simon said Danny was better than you. :( And somehow it affected the performance...I think it's Kris' week to go home.

Danny - Love the hometown boy! Even if his last notes were wickedly all over the place he still went out and give it his all. Not the genre he normally does, but major points for trying and giving it his all. The duet was suited well fro him, and he did amazing. Highly doubt he is going home...but may see his first trip to the bottom three because there aren't many left.

I missed Adam and Alison's solos. What songs did they sing?

I agree with you about the duet choices. I think Danny/Adam and Kris/Alison or Danny/Alison and Kris/Adam might have been better choices. It's too obvious that the two who are more of the rock edgy ones would work well together. They should have mixed it up. It was like two rockers against two non-rockers. And I know that some don't think Alison is much of a rocker, but she to me has that Gwen Stefani edge to her. I like it, but I'm just saying. They should have paired her with either Danny or Kris... probably more Danny cause Kris and Adam together would have been interesting to say the least. :lol:

Simon annoyed me tonight. I usually agree with him to a point. But, come on... Adam screams through a whole song (not that its bad if you like that kind of music and like I said I didn't see it, but I'm going by what my aunt told me about what I missed) and Simon loves it. Danny screams at the end of the song where there is supposed to be a scream and Simon's like "it's like a horror movie". I mean, I get that Adam's a rock guy and Danny's not, but still. I couldn't scream like that for a song. I didn't know Danny could, but I thought he pulled it off.

And by the way, where does Simon get his crazy comments? Does he have a book full of them? the thing he said to Kris made no sense to me. I can't even remember what it was now, but it was weird.

I thought Danny did well, took a risk and gave his all on it.

I thought Kris did okay, but like many said it was a bit of a safe choice for him. He didn't challenge himself as much as Danny did.

I don't remember the song names off hand and the website hasn't been updated yet. Grr. It would be nice if they were slightly on top of things.

Yes a mixing would have showed more range for everyone, it was rockers and non-rockers. Perhaps there was a reasoning? I wish they would explain why they choose these pairings, but I doubt we will get anything.

Simon...I don't know about him some days, one minute he's happy the next he's pulling out some odd saying. It is nice though that he is honest in his responses, sometimes better than tip toeing around and trying to not hurt feelings. This is a competition with a huge prize and the winner needs to have everything that ir requires, a push in the right direction is always good.

I loved this genre, my era, classic rock. I saw SLASH when he was with "Guns and Roses" who opened for THE STONES" and Prince as well, amazing and also Robert Plant, with his tight jeans and long curly locks:p

The opening with Danny and Kris lacked luster, their not STIX kinda of dreary:(

ADAM "Whole Lotta Love" wow, I saw Robert Plant do this, and never in a million years thought anyone could match him but Adam did. Robert would be proud, he's just phenomenal:thumbsup: and the judges thought so too~

ALLISON "Cry Baby" this song by Janis always brought chills to my soul, and she also pulled it off, spectatcular. She poured out he heart, but got ticked off at Simon, first time I saw that:(

KRIS "Come Together" EEEK, don't do "The Beatles" if one copy-cats them it's bogus, and a different version is terrible which he, was I was cringing:mad:

DANNY 'Dream On" by Steven Tyler, also only he can do that , he was screaming it was horrible:(

ADAM AND ALLISON "Slow Ride by Foghat, I love this song, and a dream come true them singing together, sensational and they are so in tune and in sync MAGICAL:p

Last edited:
Danny only screamed on the very end of the song because that's how it's done. I do think it sounded better in the rehearsal they showed with Slash. I think what might have happened was that he rehearsed it too much and his voice suffered for it... so when he went to hit the high note at the end, his voice kind of gave out on him. It sounded that way to me. I do wish he had chosen a different song. Maybe a CCR song or a ZZTop song.

Oh, I gotta say Alison hugging Adam after they sang together was cute. It was like a girl hugging her big brother after not having seen him for a while. Adorable. :lol: Funny how I thought that about the hug and then shortly after Adam said she was like his little sister. :lol:

They'll probably just do a bottom two this week instead of bottom three since there's only four of them left.

Last edited:
I was dreading this to be honest because I’d read some pretty derogatory remarks about Danny and his handling of Kris, but still I wanted to see what all the fuss was about AND I wanted to hear the screech that apparently Danny performs at the end of his song and see if it was as bad as people were saying. I have noticed though that the Adam haters seem to be Danny adorers and the Danny haters appear to be Adam adorers. Funny old world, huh? – chuckle.

Aaanyway...

Adam: Yep, this was fantastic. Suited his voice to an absolute tee! He controlled his screeching and actually belted out the notes. Good stuff!! Still can’t stand the performance such as the lip curl, the tossing of his head and the dramatic intake of breaths, but I have to hand it to him, he really delivered and delivered the vocals really, really well. And hey, Led Zeppelin is my ultimate favourite band and I should have been cringing, but I wasn;t when he said he was going to do “Whole Lotta Love” Good, good stuff!

Allison: Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. This is turning into a good night of stuff. I loved this. Loved, loved, loved it. I’m not a fan of Janice Joplin, I couldn’t get a handle on her voice, but I do really like some of her songs and this was one of them.

As a side note: I really don’t know what the judges are on at times because their criticisms of this just didn’t make sense to me at alllllllllll. Loved her feisty and correct responses to Simon’s, I think, ludicrous comments, especially the beg part. Nasty Simon, really nasty.

Kris and Danny Duet: Danny didn’t look happy at all up on stage, but anyway, great vocals from Danny that I think really did show how weak Kris’ vocals are, but it was harsh Simon saying what he said because it wasn’t a “Who’s the best” it was a “Did they do a good job together”.

As a side note: Danny didn’t look happy on stage, and neither did Kris and Kris looked absolutely gutted after Simon’s comment. For me, the nice thing to see was that Danny wasn’t wholly impressed with Simon’s comment either. Still, I don’t think Danny and Kris are the best of friends, well, that’s the impression I got.

Kris: Sorry but I had a bit of a giggle when Kris said that The Beatles were classic Rock – more like Classic Pop in their early years and alternative Pop later on. *shrug* Um, anyway, I didn’t like this I’m afraid. Wrong song choice to be honest. I dunno if Simon’s comment hurt him a bit and he gave up and just went with the flow, I dunno, but, for me, it just wasn’t good, especially when you take into account Allison and Adam’s performances.

Danny: This had me worried because of the comments I’d been reading and when I heard the scream in the practice session I really started to worry – and bloody hell but that scream and the lead up to it was just downright awful. It was truly, truly truly baaaaaaaad! It made Adam’s screeching seem pleasant to the ear and it breaks my heart to admit that. Bad Danny, really bad. Sorry.

As a side note: Sadly I agree with Simon about the last note and the build up sounding like a horror show. Yeah, if Fay Wray was alive today I think she’d be impressed :D

Edited to add: I listened to this again, and it's a shame really because I think Danny was doing okay until the last bit of the song. I mean he still hit some bum notes along the way, but nothing like the scream, which I still think was just sooooo awful. :)

Adam and Allison: I don’t know if Adam was holding back but I think Allison out sung him on this one. Great stuff! Still winced at his screeching, but it was so good to see Allison feeding off Adam’s energy and Adam appearing generous enough to allow that to happen. Lovely stuff!

However, I really hated Adam’s “I hope so!” at Simon’s comment about him possibly saving Allison this week. Not good at allllllll!!!

As a side note: Overall Simon was just the pits tonight. In my opinion, his comments weren’t just ‘being honest’, they were just downright nasty. My heart goes out to Kris and Allison for what he had to say because, even though Kris is my least favourite singer and has been for a bit, neither one deserved what Simon had to say. Bad Simon, really bad!!!!

For a change Danny was the worst tonight, in my opinion, followed very, very closely by Kris and then Allison and Adam were the best.

As to who might be going home, I sincerely hope Danny is staying, but if they are going to go by performances for just this night, then he could find himself in trouble. I have a feeling that Allison might be going though, even though she doesn’t deserve to go, that honour should go to Kris because, for me, he’s pretty much insipid compared to the others.

:)

Last edited:
Well, I for one like both Danny and Adam, I just happen to gear more towards Danny. :lol:

I still say that Danny sounded like he was losing his voice toward the end of the song, but he pushed himself to try to do the high note/scream anyway because like Slash said, if you pick that song, everyone is gonna be waiting for that high note. I personally think Danny should have left it off. Even when he was speaking after the performance, his voice sounded hoarse. So I think he practiced that high note too much and it caused his voice to suffer. Kris had good vocals on his song, but it was a little too safe for him. Danny took a risk and the judges like risk takers cause he really challenged himself. Hopefully America will like that aspect of it too. It shows that he's willing to do more than just the same ol' type of stuff all the time like some contestants in the past. Good or bad performance, he took a risk, a huge risk and that shows that he's got a lot of guts.

I agree Simon shouldn't have said what he said about the duo performances. For Kris, he looked upset, Danny even looked upset. In fact to me, Danny looked like he was shaking his head thinking "ugh not cool, Simon". :lol: For Alison/Adam performance, Simon made it sound like Alison is not good enough on her own and will only get through because she sang with the judges' favorite contestant. :rolleyes:

And :wtf: that comment about "its a little like eating ice for lunch". :wtf: And Simon says Paula makes no sense? :lol:

I think instead of doing rock week this week, they should have allowed each judge to pick a song for a contestant since there's four judges and four contestants.

As for the duos. Danny/Alison and Kris/Adam would have been better. Of course Adam/Alison are gonna be good together cause they both have a rock type edge to them. And personally, Kris could have used the boost from Adam. :lol: As for Kris/Danny duet, I think they harmonized very well together. As for the individual parts, Simon is right about Danny being better than Kris, but Simon still shouldn't have said that. :lol:

Adam's Led Zeppelin performance was wonderful, especially with me being a huge Zeppelin fan :)

Danny's Aerosmith performance gave me chills and made my ears hurt more than they already are due to an ear infection ... the scream at the end, even though Steven Tyler does it in the song ... it just doesn't sound right coming out of anyone else :wtf:

GNRF good idea on CCR, another fabulous all time great band, and none of them have done any of their songs. that would be a dynamite choice. And on Simon, I thought he was at his all time best, so what is it that some of you found offensive?:confused: It was my favorite night, and poor Danny and Kris, they just aren't up to the hard-hitting rock 'n' roll, of that day and age. They are good, no doubt, but this just isn't their venue~

I agree Simon shouldn't have said what he said about the duo performances. For Kris, he looked upset, Danny even looked upset. In fact to me, Danny looked like he was shaking his head thinking "ugh not cool, Simon". :lol: For Alison/Adam performance, Simon made it sound like Alison is not good enough on her own and will only get through because she sang with the judges' favorite contestant. :rolleyes:

And :wtf: that comment about "its a little like eating ice for lunch". :wtf: And Simon says Paula makes no sense? :lol:

What is usually meant by the chewing ice for a meal comment is that there was no substance or filler; Simon was essentially left feeling empty and not fulfilled.

I think he said it to try and throw people off their game, and sadly with Kris it worked. He chose a great song for himself but he let the comments effect him. Danny shrugged them off, as a great performer would and went out and gave it his all, even as you pointed out, GNRF, that his voice was going. I think that is spot on, it was obvious that he over did the rehearsing in an effort to do great.

It's weird, but when I heard people talking and their voices are hoarse, it kind of makes my eyes water and that's what Danny's voice did last night. That's how I knew he was hoarse. :lol: That's the only time that happens to me. :lol:

I knew what Simon meant by the ice comment, its just that anything Paula says that makes the same amount of sense he always says he doesn't understand a word of it and that it doesn't make sense. But, when he says something just as off the wall, it's making perfect sense in his mind. I just found it funny. It was to me a bit of a strange comparrison though. :lol: But I guess I get what he meant. And while Kris has a nice voice, I think I feel the same way. The performance didn't do much for me. It was just there. :lol: I wished Kris had challenged himself more. Maybe he and Danny should have traded songs. :lol:

It makes sense that he would try to throw the performers off their game. I mean it's like when people who do martial arts yell "hiyah" or something like that, the main reason (or so I've heard) that they do that is to throw their opponents off. So, I guess Simon's thinking if they can overcome that kind of comment and not let it frazzle them enough to affect their performance then they are all the more set to be a star... cause you have to a tough shell in that business. People are going to say bad things about you when you're famous. Not everyone is gonna like you. that sort of thing, so I guess that made sense. I didn't think about that before. :lol:

I still think Danny should have done "Bad Moon Rising" or "Proud Mary" (CCR songs) or maybe even "Looking Out My Back Door". :)

I guess the theme was more Classic Rock than later rock cause no one did any of the hair bands from the 80s. :lol:

The comment Simon said about Alison after her duet with Adam was a bit of a backhanded compliment though. :D But she didn't seem to be bothered by it at all, so good for her. If it had been me, I probably wouldn't have gotten right away that it was a backhanded comment. It probably wouldn't have hit me till the next day or something. :lol:

I really hope Danny's safe though. :crosses fingers:

Wow I only caught the end of the show but Alison went home. :eek: It's been an interesting week on the contest shows.

I honestly though it would be Kris, but someone out there is voting for him like crazy.

Yeah, I know. It's hard at this point cause I like them all in different ways. But, I really thought Kris should have gone home before Alison.

Question: My mother asked me the other day who was in the top 4 last year and I couldn't remember. But wasn't it the two Davids, Jason and Brooke?

I liked the song Paula sang tonight. But that bit at the end was kinda corny. :lol: (not the actual song, but the guys talking to her and what she said)

I love Gwen Stefani, but why was she singing one of her really old songs instead of something new? And she sounded a bit like she had a cold or something and was out of breath. Anyone else notice that?

Love Daughtry!

Poor Alison shouldn't have had to go home tonight. :( I guess they probably wish they had saved their save now. But I guess Simon was wrong about Adam giving Alison a boost.

So, top three are all guys. I think that's a first. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back