~'Always Fresh at Misc Hortons!'~ Canadian Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Canadian Thread #4

Yes, I consider you one of my friends Carly. :D *huggles you until you pop* :D :D

It's funny how people will want to go all over the world and other people will think it's cool and then someone mentions Canada and they're like "Oh....That big block of ice...I'm sorry. Wait! You don't know french, how are you going to survive in the arctic without your Bescherelle!"

:rolleyes:

If you want to see magnificance, Canada has everything to offer. We might be colder than some places in Europe but DAMNIT we have American TV at all the right times of the year. :p

lol....yeah my friends think im strange because when i tell them i want to travel around europe, they think im talking about all the popular touristy european destinations. they just look at me like im crazy when i say that i want to visit sweden, finland, russia, czech republic...basically the countries that have climates as similar to canada as one can get. :lol: then they remember that i'm a hockey fan and that those countries pump out a lot of hockey talent. that and i mean, finland and sweden = cute, blonde, blue eyed guys with awesome accents ;)

oh and id love to go cross country too...my mom and her sister did that once they graduated highschool and im thinking i may do that once im done college...now to convince my friends ;)

and as far as ancestory goes, my parents are canadian but my maternal great grandma is a ukranian immigrant and i have english, scottish & french-canadian roots on my dad's side.

It's funny how people will want to go all over the world and other people will think it's cool and then someone mentions Canada and they're like "Oh....That big block of ice...I'm sorry. Wait! You don't know french, how are you going to survive in the arctic without your Bescherelle!"

What the hell is a Bescherelle..? I Wikipedia-ed it but it was really confusing.

I have a friend in Ohio, and she always mentions how much she'd love to come here - free healthcare, hello! - some of the ignorant Americans really give other Americans a bad name, cause there's quite a bit who really like Canada and millions flock to Niagara Falls and Toronto every year.

If you want to see magnificance, Canada has everything to offer. We might be colder than some places in Europe but DAMNIT we have American TV at all the right times of the year.

Damn right! We have the best of both worlds when it comes to TV :lol: ('cept when it comes to previews and CTV refuses to show them after the episode :mad:)

Also, it's not as cold as it normally is, so I'd say it's the perfect time to visit :D

they just look at me like im crazy when i say that i want to visit sweden, finland, russia, czech republic...basically the countries that have climates as similar to canada as one can get.

Im like that too! If I went on vacation to a place like Jamaica or Mexico, I swear Id die of dehydration or something. Or come back redder than a tomato :lol:

My parents are Canadian. My family's been here for ages. But my background is a big mix of things. Mostly scotish. My dad's into geneaology, and he's traced us waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy back.

allstar12 said
What the hell is a Bescherelle..? I Wikipedia-ed it but it was really confusing.

A Bescherelle is a little green (and sometimes blue or red) book used to conjugate over 12000 french verbs. It's kind of an annoyance for those in french immersion schools who have to use the little book from grades 7-11. :p

Bescherelle

Hopefully that clears things up. :D

Damn right! We have the best of both worlds when it comes to TV :lol: ('cept when it comes to previews and CTV refuses to show them after the episode :mad:)

I know! How lame is that? I don't want to stay up really late just to see them on CBS when I can just as easily see them on CTV if they only played them. Cheap...Canadian company. :p

^
^
That's a much better description than the one I got! Thanks :D

Lovely alliteration there, speed :p

It annoys me (sometimes) that even when you watch a show on an American channel i.e. CBS, it's switched to CTV. And then when the show's over they don't switch it back fast enough and we miss out on the promos for the next episode. :rolleyes:

You're welcome allstar. :D

Lovely alliteration there, speed :p

*bows* I'll be here all week. :lol:

Oh man Megan, it drives me nutso too. It's the same thing with Global. It switches to FOX, and then back again. I know that Canada has to have a certain amount of Canadian shows, and Canadian channels but...One thing I've learned about Canadians, is we like the American shows/channels more. :p

One thing I've learned about Canadians, is we like the American shows/channels more. :p

And their promos :lol:

Have you seen the Supernatural promos on CityTv...? (Alberta doesn't get CityTv does it?) They give away the plot and the ending, and they're super cheesy!

I think there's only one authentic Canadian show I watch, and that's Degrassi.

Since everyone's throwing out their backgrounds, I will too. My father's family is from Scotland and moved here .. my mom's family is from B.C. and are Irish and English :)

Must be why I love tea :lol:

Yep, Alberta has CityTV. Except they stopped showing Supernatural right before the season 2 premier. They replaced it with 'Ugly Betty'. :rolleyes:

So they don't show Supernatural on that channel anymore. The only time I get Supernatural is Fridays, Saturdays on 'Space', and Mondays on 'Access'.

But I have seen the cheesy promos when it was on CityTV here. Good lord. :eek: Those promos were like the entire episode squeezed into 30 seconds. Terrible, terrible Canadian company.

ETA: I liked the older Degrassi. I'm not very into the newer ones. - But that's because my sister likes that show, and I CAN NOT like the shows she likes. :lol:

Seems there are a lot of Irish/Scottish Canadians. Weird.

^
^
I've noticed that too .. Maybe the Irish and Scots thought there were better opportunities here, rather than in their home countries. But I 'spose that could be said for a lot of other ethnicities.

The old Degrassi episodes are the best! Super corny, and the outfits are hideous but I still love them. The newer ones seem really out there and a bit over the top.

jorja_fan86 said:
I've noticed that there are tons of English, Irish, Scottish & British people over in Canada. I've figured that it was because of our ties with England but I'm not even sure if that's the right reason :lol:.

That is true, i miss learning about Canada :( soon we are going into the chapter in are USA textbook about McDonalds...

csikicksurass said:
That is true, i miss learning about Canada :( soon we are going into the chapter in are USA textbook about McDonalds...

lol....yeah i remember learning about american corporations in school. there was ford, walmart, mcdonalds. lol we even had a bit about mcdonalds in my college law class. lol.

i did always love learning about canada in classes but i can remember the ciriculum always repeating information we already knew. for instance in elementary social studies we'd learn about the different regions of canada and then in juniour high we'd have to learn it again. and don't even get me started on how many maps of canada i've had to fill in/colour. :rolleyes:

There's lots of Finns also in Canada, because they've felt it's like home (teehee, enough snow :p )

I read a text about Canada... short one, about cities and stuff if you go there on holiday. One sentence I remember "Canadians prefer Tim Hortons"
...umm...and it had to be mentioned...why?

lol good ol timmys, getting mention in textbooks. well there is now a tim hortons over in afghanistan for our troops. i love how when you think canada you think tim hortons, great coffee and donuts. oh and who can forget the timbits :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back