~'Always Fresh at Misc Hortons!'~ Canadian Thread #4

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Finch, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I agree. It's not fair. Now that the dollars are pretty much even, we shouldn't have to pay more. There was an article in the local paper the other day about how all the american retailers in Minot ND are expecting Manitobans to do all their Christmas shopping there, as it's only a few hours away, and most things are cheaper there.

Seeing as we're on the last page of this thread, maybe we should start thinking of a new name?

2. Dragonfly

*Runs from Mods for double posting*

So, Manitoba officially has a new February holiday, Louis Reil Day. It'll be celebrated the same day as Family Day in Alberta and Saskatchewan. I'm not sure why we needed it, but it'll be nice to have the extra day off :lol: And Louis Reil was an excellent choice of people to name it after. Neil Diamond and various hockey players (I don't know which ones) were also on the list.

3. Abilene

Abilene Hit and Run

Hi fellow Canadians! :D I'm quite new to the board but I'm happy I found this thread! :D I'm from Toronto :)

4. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Welcome to the Canadian thread Abilene. :D Hope the weather's great down in T.O.

^ Megan, that's awesome that Manitoba has Louis Riel day. I wonder if Tim Horton was on the list. :lol: Have fun on your day off when the day arrives! I'm not even sure why Alberta and Saskatchewan even needs Family Day but oh well, whatever turns their pages.

As for new names for the thread, I don't have many suggestions...*thinks up something Canadian*

5. MacsLovlyAngl

MacsLovlyAngl Head of the Graveyard Shift

being Canadian and all.....How about....

For all you Canadians do..."This thread's for you"

or....

"Oh Canada...."We talk about you"

or....

"Talk Canada....This thread's for us"

Kinda like the Bud beer commercial. Being from Canada myself, it kinda sticks.

Just a few ideas for a name :D

Edit: No credit needed....Just trying to help you, find a name for your thread. Feel free to use one, if you want. :D

6. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Ontario is in the midst of an election and if the Liberals get back in power they promise to give us a holiday in February. This is the same party that said no new taxes 4 years ago so I give them a 50-50 chance on actually giving us a holiday in Feb. That's assuming they get re-elected.

7. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

I have no name for the new thread or anything smart to say. All I want to say is as of today I am 19 and can buy booze! Woot! Just had to get that out :p

Ps I was so excited when I found "Talking to Americans" on my computer.

8. quickbeam_cw

quickbeam_cw CSI Level One

Yay! Active thread again! *cheers* Looks like I've got lots to catch up on... sorry guys, long post ahead:

I thought they made passports at the border mandatory about a year ago? Although, recently I heard something about talks of changing it back to only needing driver's license... don't know how serious these 'talks' were, and I don't remember the source. Heck, I'm not even sure I didn't just dream it. *g*

"with it having been so dry this year." Dry? You and I must be from opposite ends of the country, Jacquie, lol. :) In Saskatoon, we had so much snow, and then so much rain that the water in the ditches never really dried up. About a month ago, there was this huge storm that washed away a chunk of the highway. There was a stretch built up across a ravine, and it buckled up like ribbon candy. Now it's just a big gaping hole.

OMG, I am embarrassingly out of the loop. When you said about the dollar hitting par, allmaple, I was all like "what are you talking about, don't you mean almost par?" Then I checked today's exchange rate, and was like "Ooooh! The dollar is at 99.7 cents US! Wow!" Then I looked at the last week's graph, and went "*jaw drop* HOLY MAN. When did that happen?!?" Seriously, it's EMBARRASSING. My minor is economics. *facepalm*

Ah yes, provincial election time. SK is getting close, too. There's this one ad that some group (Labour Union? Maybe?) is running on TV that drives me bonkers. It's all like "Some parties will make changes that will make Sask. more like Alberta, and drive up the cost of living. Don't vote for those guys." Thing is, it's so ridiculous, because that's already happening under the current government. Apparently Saskatoon is the fastest growing economy in Canada. And what's wrong with being like Alberta anyways? Last time I checked, economic success was a GOOD thing. *hearts Alberta*

Phew. I'm done.

9. allmaple

allmaple Judge

ooohhh!!! for a new thread title, how about: 'for all you do, this timbits for you'? if it fits of course.

as for the elections, i hate all the 'those guys promised this, and they didnt do it, blah blah blah' and im thinking 'i already know what they didnt do, tell me what you will do and make me believe it!' i have a problem with all the negative campaigning, mostly how am i supposed to know you would have done any better? what happened is in the past by the other party is irrelevant to why i should vote for you. because if you get in 4 years from now there will be commercials saying 'they promised this and didnt do it'

10. Jacquie

quickbeam_cw I'm from the Toronto area and we've seen the driest summer in 50 years. I've not seen all those summers but I've seen most of them :)

allmaple I like the name suggestion for the new thread :) I don't like all the negative things that are said in the campaigns either. I don't think we are as bad as the US though. I will vote as I've always done but this year I think I will vote for a totally different party than before and for totally different reasons!

11. Dragonfly

Negative campaigns are so annoying. I agree, I want to know what you're going to do, not what they didn't do :rolleyes:

I like the thread name, but this one is a Timmy's reference too. It might be nice to reference something else. Of course, that being said, I don't have any suggestions :lol:

12. Jacquie

If we want to get away from the Timmys' name how about Made In Canada or Proud to be Canadian. They are simple and it represents who we are :)

13. 4ENSIX

4ENSIX Pathologist

How about the very staple, quite cliche, "Canadian, Eh?"

Oh, by the way, I'm Canadian. Have only ever been in this thread like....once.

14. Jacquie

4ENSIX I think if we go back far enough Canadian, Eh was used. I'm not saying we can't reuse a name I'm just commenting. Another thought just crossed my mind. We could use the slogan from the Molson commercial from years ago that said 'We Are Canadian!'

15. Dragonfly

Since we're over 1000 posts, I'm going to go ahead and start the next thread. We can have a mod put the name in once we've picked one :)

New thread found here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.