"73 Seconds" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

Apologies, Smokey and Speedy, but we tried to express an opinion about Nick and got smacked down for it. As you said they're fictional characters so when we express an opinion, it's just that, an opinion. I don't have a favourite character in CSI but i appreciate that some are protective of theirs so i'll drop it now.

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I agree...I'm guilty of it myself, and I apologize. It's easy to get caught up in things when we all feel very strongly about it. Everyone wants to defend their favorites and everyone wants state their opinion when they don't like someone or something. It's all good. Let's just be respectful of each other. :)

3. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

No worries we all do it, maybe with Ecklie's increased screentime we can just use him to take our frustration out on ;)

I think Nick just stuck in my head as 73 seconds was largely done from Nick's 'dumped in the deep end' POV, every other character has had 3/4 weeks to adapt to change. CSI has more energy when the characters/actors are having fun with the scenes so hopefully Ted/DB will bring back that aspect of CSI.

4. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

You have to have controversy in a drama to make it interesting. I love GSR (I'm well aware that many didn't/don't), and it always generated heated discussion, which illustrated what a powerful storyline it was.

Now, I'm glad Nick has finally been 'outed'. He was becoming a caricature; always portrayed as being in the right place at the right time, doing the right thing all the time for all the right reasons. It's not realistic. It's boooooorrrring.
    At last, he's finally becoming interesting. Thank you, DB. :)

5. K-Bug

K-Bug Lab Technician

So I have to first say that as a 2nd year teacher who switched grade levels and has 3 new curriculum's to learn, as well as has been a dedicated SVU fan since 2000, I really hate the new time slot. I usually work like 7:00 to 5:00, and I managed to stay awake for about 20 minutes then had to rewatch anyway cause I was so tired.

Anywhos, I liked DB and how he was introduced but I felt like the middle was lacking. I think the A case drug the episode down. The octopus thing was weird, and creepy. It kinda felt like they were trying to be overly different. I did love Marg in the episode, though. I love that she was able to play Cath on the edge, yet remaining so professional. It started with the whole "You're the boss, you should stop asking me what I think." line, which DB brushed off. I think Catherine was looking for a confrontation at that point, and the fact that DB didn't bit intrigued her some. I would have liked to have seen that scene go further, and I'm hoping that there is some good tension with DB for the whole season.

I loved the end scene. Cath and Nick going head to head, and Catherine accepting the blame and not putting it on someone else. I love her character, and it's nice to see them pulling vintage Catherine out, the one who investigates and doesn't need to be in charge to make an impact. I found it interesting that she said that she has been doing this for 19 years, and that's a long time. (Though I thought it was 20 years in If I Had a Hammer). Maybe a sign of things to come, that she's tired of the job and needs a change? I don't know, but that has me interested.

Anyways, all I have to say at this point is that they have to step it up.

By the way? "Octopsy" had me ROLLING on the floor laughing. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  6. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

Hey now.. some of us like Ecklie! :angryrazz:

I have to agree with the comments about Morgan's introduction - one new character already established in the team is enough; I'm glad they're bringing her in gradually, so we get to meet her at the same time as all the other characters.

7. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

I'm not really sure why characters had a problem with Nick playing 'good cop'. Nick was interrogating a suspect, and his method of getting information was to play the empathy card to try to get the guy to open up. Other investigators might have taken a harsher tone, and wouldn't necessarily have gotten better results.

And later on, all Nick did was ask the Parole officer to 'go easy' on the guy and presumably fill him in on the circumstances. He didn't coerce the guy, he didn't bribe or threaten him. The Parole officer is going to make their own call on the situation with or without Nick's input - and honestly, did Catherine really think that an overworked parole officer is going to give all that much credence to the request of a CSI he's never heard of before?

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I don't think anyone was bringing up the kid/money thing to defend Nick per say. They were bringing it saying that DB was sending a hypocritical message to the team by getting on to Nick for what he did and then himself doing what he did for the kid. I realize though that when you're dealing with a traumatized little boy, it might be a different situation. Having said that, I don't want DB to turn into Horatio in that respect. Horatio is always helping someone involved in just about every case. He got that girl's sister a way to stay in the country that time and he does stuff like that all the time.

I don't think DB giving the kid the money is a bad message for the kid because the kid did do the right thing by admitting to taking the money. He didn't have to. He could have kept the money to himself and no one would have known. He came forward and admitted his mistake and was prepared for the consequences. That's one of the first few signs of maturity. I think DB was rewarding him for his help and for admitting his mistake, not for lifting the money.

Another note I forgot to mention earlier: Carrot Top was only on the episode briefly on that video lol. If you blinked, you probably missed him lol. I thought he was actually gonna be in the episode more than that.

9. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I think it's just like others have said...this episode was seen through Nick's eyes because he was playing catch up with DB, therefore the focus of the "let's play by the rules" part was on him. The others had already gone through it while Nick was gone...doesn't mean Nick was the only one with issues to address.

I rewatched the ending and did anyone notice that Hodges also received the breakfast invite text from DB? I liked that. :)

10. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Thank you, GNRF. That's exactly what I was trying to say. I believe I said in my post that DB was being hypocritical, but then again, they all have been.

I watched the episode again and completely forgot that the boy said he did something, hence my responses.

He did do the right thing, though it's still wrong to give the boy what he stole, but I digress.

In any case, my apologies.

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I noticed that and he looked surprised at getting the invite too. :)

12. KaiLUxO

KaiLUxO Police Officer

Awww that was cute! Good for Hodges :)

13. Gnudle

Gnudle Civilian

Yup, Nick was in Hawaii at a bug class. Catherine complained that Nick managed to be in Hawaii when the new supervisor (Ted Danson) came on the job. And a bit later Nick spouted his Knowledge of ants (as if standing in for Grissom).

Gnudle

14. Gnudle

Gnudle Civilian

I'm new to this and haven't figured out the order of messages, etc. So I think I just replied to a relatively old message. But -- I'm wondering -- did it worry anyone else that the episode was a little too cutesy? I sure hope it doesn't go that way.

I did enjoy Hodges appearing in the doorway as if waiting for applause, and asking, "Did somebody say 'Slime'"?

Gnudle

15. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

I loved the fact that he was included...and was amused by his reaction to the message. It was like "I'm included as well?"

Gnudle - Welcome :) You will certainly figure it all out before long. But just to let you know, you do have up to 24 hours to edit yer post if you wish to add more content to it. We try to discourage double postings...that is unless you exceed the 24 hour limit and can not edit. Also, if you wish to comment on an older post, feel free to click on the quote button below that particular post, so you can reference it in your reply.