"73 Seconds" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Sep 15, 2011.

1. byline

byline CSI Level One

You both are not alone in thinking D.B. was a bit "off" ... but then again, the introduction of new characters is often clunky, and that's what I attributed it to. I'm hoping that once he settles in, things will smooth out. He does give me a bit of Grissom "lite" (and I love Grissom).

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

The only thing that really bothered me about DB was how he always knew what to do....like how to get the kid to talk...how to get the octopus girl to talk...it was almost like when Ray would always be the one to jump in with the right answer.

It's cool...he has a way about him, but I hope they don't overplay it, leaving the other characters looking perplexed like they did for most of this episode. He needs to show a few faults or he'll become some kind of super character that gets annoying fast.

3. byline

byline CSI Level One

I agree, Smokey. That's one of the things I actually liked about Ray, was that in the beginning he was allowed to make mistakes and not know a lot of things. Then they turned that all around and made him the one with all the answers, which got annoying real fast.

4. Ipstenu

Ipstenu Police Officer Premium Member

Except, Smokey, that D.B.'s been doing this whole CSI thing for a million years, so it's like Grissom knowing how to do all that. It makes sense, as opposed to CSI 1 Ray doing all that. Plus he was brought in, in-character, to be the guy who can do that. Ray was supposed to be the New Guy.

5. Smokey

Oh I don't mean procedure-wise. I'm fine with him being the boss and more experienced. I mean with little personality things like those...the way he got people people to do what he wanted when the others couldn't (Nick and Brass).

I love the quirkiness, like I loved it with Grissom. So an occasional perplexed team would be okay...just not all the time like a one dimensional character. Give him a little fault or two to balance him out. :)

6. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

I agree Smokey. The whole tennis ball thing annoyed me, because Nick has almost always had a way with kids. The one time he can't get a kid to talk, D.B. figures out a way? It's exactly like Ray. The fact that Ray was a Level 1 and getting people to talk didn't bother me so much because it's possible that maybe he was a people person and knew what to say. It was the knowing exact answers to every forensics question, bossing people around and overall cockiness while being a Level 1 that annoyed me.

Now, with D.B. and the $100 situation with the kid: how is that not getting "too close"? Should Nick have called the courts and told them to go easy on the brother? No, but it is no different than what D.B. did. Same goes for Nick "being nice" to the brother/suspect to get him to talk. I sense a double standard all for drama's sake. D.B. looks like the hero and Nick looks like he's leading with his heart and needs to be disciplined. I'm sure someone else has said this, but I just skipped around the thread.

I'm a Nick fan, but was shocked that he said, "I wouldn't change a thing,". :wtf: Uh, what? You shot into an open crowd, aided in the murder of a man(psycho or not, it wasn't their place) and you would do it all over again? Nick has always and I mean ALWAYS been quick on the trigger, so maybe it's time his Cowboy behind needs to get his office taken away. Maybe setting up shop in the break room will help him figure out what the hell is wrong with him!

Oh, and the whole D.B. breakfast thing? :rolleyes: Get out of here with that! It irritated me so bad! I know he was trying to cool things down and get everyone back into the team atmosphere, but going to breakfast was for the originals. I felt like he hi-jacked a tradition!

I guess I'm just not up for accepting new leads because of the Ray mess, but I will give him another try, I guess...:shifty:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  7. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I think the only thing that worries me about DB is that he may be the one to always have the answer. That he's going to be the one to always solve the crime. And that we're going to wonder why Nick, Catherine, Greg, & even Morgan & Hodges are there if all they're going to do is collect evidence and be wrong. I think that's why I'm willing to wait before forming an opinion on if I like DB - I'm waiting to see if what I think is right or wrong.

I may have a different opinion on the little 'spat' between Catherine and Nick (I say spat because my brother and I had worse fights while growing up!). I think Catherine was more upset that Nick wasn't upset over what happened. Lets face it, he had just got back from a seminar right into not only a new case but with a new supervisor yet the only thing he was upset about was that he didn't get any warning that DB had moved into the office. Nick likes to be out in the field, I don't think he cared about loosing the office I just think he would have liked some warning that it had happened. At the end he was sitting there in the break room doing the report, he wasn't complaining about his situation and I think that is what got to Catherine - His acceptance of the situation. And - I agree with Nick - It's 4 months later, what good does it do to say you 'wish' you could change what you did? After 4 months it doesn't even make anyone feel better. After that amount of time you're better off taking your punishment and moving on.

Now that the server's back I'll hit 'Submit Reply' :shifty:
    Susan

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I think the fact that DB has at least one son allows for it to make sense that he knew how to get information from the kid. Nick was always good and compassionate with kids, but he couldn't really relate to them the way a father could. DB has that advantage. Still, I hope they allow Nick and the others to still connect with kids as well. So, the whole thing with DB and the kid didn't bother me at all. Besides, Nick's kid-whisperer thing has almost always been a connection with girls. I think that's cause of his Texan charm and all around cuteness. I mean, there was Cassie, Hailey (I think that was Taylor Swift's character's name), etc.

I think what they're doing with DB is trying to make him socially opposite from Grissom. Gil was not the best when dealing with people (by his own admission). DB has been married for a long time and has a kid in college and possibly three other kids (unless they changed his background), so he has the ability to connect with people better. He didn't feel forced to me at all.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  9. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

You know... you're not the only one who thinks like this, blackflag :lol: I think exactly the same... I'm just unable to formulate it as well as you did with your post. Nick has always been like that... he gets sh*t thrown at him and deals with it, just like that.

I'm really wondering how it all turns out at the end. I just hope they don't go and try to discipline the team to not lead with their hearts anymore. It's what always drove them and always made them give their all to solve their cases.

As to D.B. ... I agree with what Smokey said. I really liked D.B. in the first episode and I really hope tptb won't screw it up with making him a perfect know-it-all... that would really suck.

10. donna2712

donna2712 Victim

I felt Catherine was being a bit petulent in this episode. There were a few thing she did that made me think she was working through her anger.

Firstly she didn't contact Nick and tell him there was a new supervisor and that he had lost his office. Someone on a work conference would be contactable so there didn't seem to be a legitimate excuse as to why she didn't do this other than she was being snippy towards Nick.

I though the whole Brim, Brime thing was that Catherine told DB the wrong pronunciation and Sara came in and told him the correct one .... I could be wrong but that is how I interpreted it.

Then there was the "stop asking me you are the boss" conversation with DB and his response of "good, glad we got that out of the way" was him waiting for her to come to terms with it before he put his foot down too hard.

Then the whold screaming match with Nick in the break room and her "if you don't like it there is the door" comment just came across as childish. She was right with the whold lead with the heart and not the head part but the rest just seemed to be her frustration at her demotion and her annoyance at Nick for what she sees as his part in it.

Not only was the episode seeing the new guys through Nick's eyes, but also seeing the accumulation of 2 or 3 weeks of Catherines annoyance and frustration of her demotion coming to a head.

Yes I think Catherine came off as petulent, but I think that is what was needed to show the ramifications of last seasons finale and the introduction of a new supervisor. If Catherine had have accepted DB with no issue then that wouldn't have been her character. I like the way it was handled personally as I think it was true to her character.

Also, I was concerned about the comment made by DB about Nick "I like Nick, I would hate to lose him".... is Nick's head on the chopping block? It seems that Ecklie either wants Nick off this team, or wants him fired, and he has bought DB in to bring him in to line? I was a bit shocked by that comment and am interested to see if it goes any further.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Donna, I think Ecklie was saying if DB couldn't turn the team around, they may all lose their jobs. I don't think Ecklie personally wants any of them fired. I think Ecklie is being pressured by someone higher up than him.

12. Smokey

Exactly. Ecklie said in that scene that the whole team tries to be buddies with everyone. Nick just happened to be the one they were watching at the time.

13. Smokey

Repeating tonight, 11/23. :)

14. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

I'm confused.:confused:
    I thought Fracked was repeating tonight? My dvr is not picking anything else up. What time and channel?

15. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

Tell me about it

CBS and it's playing now and in it's normal timeslot