08 Presidential Elections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dawacko, can you send me the link? I love reading about what other countries think of Belgium. :)

As to the whole "Belgium was a mistake"-part, I don't think it was/is. I think we shouldn't split up, simply for the reason that Wallonia (the Francophone part) wouldn't survive economically without Flanders. All the Wallonians have to do, is just be a tad more cooperative when it comes to the state reforms and the splitting up of Brussel-Halle-Vilvoorde and then Belgium will be just fine. :)

I read this somewhere:
"Belgium has survived on compromise since 1830. Everyone puffs himself up in this banana republic. You have to remember that this is Magritte country, the country of surrealism. Anything can happen."
So true :D

And all this was totally off topic, my apologies :)

LibertyBell said:
Does anyone find it funny that all the people in here are from other places in the world, not the US? :lol:

hehe, that is interesting. I find american politics very entertaining. It's turned into a big reality show, with the name calling, fighting and the stereotyping. I have seen on message boards republicans and dems going at it, its like there is two separate countries living in one. Not too mention the stuff fox news comes out with :lol:

I just don't understand the voting methods. Why make something so simple, so complicated? And isn't having electronic voting machines with no paper trail a tad bit scary? In canada, we get a piece of paper with names, and we put an 'X' in the box beside the name of the person we are voting for. I remember when they were doing the Florida recounts...yikes.

_Hush_ said:
Dawacko, can you send me the link? I love reading about what other countries think of Belgium. :)

As to the whole "Belgium was a mistake"-part, I don't think it was/is. I think we shouldn't split up, simply for the reason that Wallonia (the Francophone part) wouldn't survive economically without Flanders. All the Wallonians have to do, is just be a tad more cooperative when it comes to the state reforms and the splitting up of Brussel-Halle-Vilvoorde and then Belgium will be just fine. :)

Sorry, it was in Finnish. It was just about all the problems, government dutch/french parts. It was some important belgian who had said "no one would invent/create Belgium today" :p

But erm... yes..off topic

Not too mention the stuff fox news comes out with :lol:
Actually, FoxNews is painted with a bad reputation for no reason. Their anchors are Republican, Democrat, Independent, conservative, liberal, and moderate. I'm a conservative individual, and there are plenty of times I want to change the channel because I don't agree with the opposing viewpoint. However, I listen and research, because it's my duty as an American citizen to know what's happening in my country and world, based on all opinions. FN provides all opinions and gives equal time to debaters.

Major American media outlets do not do that anymore. They provide the news they want Americans to see, presented in the way they want their viewers to see it. Newspaper circulation in major American cities has substantially dropped. Network newscasts' viewership is hemorrhaging. When comparing cable news sources, FN stands alone at number 1.

For anyone in the Boston area there's going to be an Obama rally on the common on Tuesday you can get in at 5:30 but it doesn't start until 6:30. I'm going to be there and maybe volunteering.

This is where Governor Patrick will officially endorse Obama.

So I was able to volunteer at the Obama rally and I was one of the people getting people's contact info and I have to say it was a great experience. The people I worked with were amazing, they were nice, offered advice but weren't trying to control everyone. I really recommend volunteering on someone's campaign, it was a great experience and I'm going to continue to do it. As for Governor Patrick and Senator Obama's speeches both of them were thought provoking and inspiring.

^^ Ooh, campaign working is fun :D Me did lots of it in last spring's parliamentary election :D

And it's a good way to make contacts and know new people, if you are interested in the subject.

Part-time campaign working is the best. It's all of the fun with a minimum of the day-to-day drudgery. I used to go out and do it whenever I can, but can't these days. It's such a bummer! I hope I can do a lot more next summer after this kid is born; she's going to be campaigning in her diapers!

I'm able to vote and usually do. I'm not always thrilled with the goings on around this election becuase it's hard to find a good candidate although there are a couple out there now. I'm fairly conservative but don't really call myself a Republican because I don't agree with all of their views. I'm kinda independent I guess.

It's official Obama and Huckabee win Iowa.

Great news Obama is my guy and I'm glad Governor Romney didn't win because I lived in MA during his tenure and the he didn't do much that really helped the state.

If I republican were to win I'd want it to either be McCain or Paul. I like Paul's ideas but he also seems a little crazy and even though I disagree with most of his views I like that in terms of social issues he wants to leave it to indiviual states and he's the most honest and trustworthy and a person who I'd be proud to have as a President.

But I want Obama to win.

Nicely done Hillary! I was very surprised and happy to see that Hillary Clinton won the New Hampshire primary last night. From all accounts, it looks like even her campaign was bracing for a loss but instead got a healthy win. As I was watching the returns, I was surprised that she not only took an early lead, but steadily maintained it the whole evening. Go Clinton.

Springmoon said:
I was very surprised and happy to see that Hillary Clinton won the New Hampshire primary last night.
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but here goes... If this keeps up, will we still call Bill Clinton the First Lady?

Dynamo1 said:
Springmoon said:
I was very surprised and happy to see that Hillary Clinton won the New Hampshire primary last night.
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but here goes... If this keeps up, will we still call Bill Clinton the First Lady?
....or the First Gentleman? Interesting thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back