08 Presidential Elections

Status
Not open for further replies.
LibertyBell said:
But you said you have BOTH a Pres and a PM? What country are you from?

Finland. our current president was first elected in 2000 and was relected in 2006 (if you watch Conan O'Brien, you know her then :p ) in 2003 Parliament elections Centre party won (yay my party!) and the leader was woman so of course she became Prime minister but erm... because Iraq scandal [that mostly social democrats developed] she had to resign after three months. It was sad :(

Teehee, we had Iraq scandal even we were not part of it :p

My party is still in charge but prime minister is a man. I have to say that I don't wonder if the next prime minister is a woman - But next president (umm...2012) will probably be a man again :D

As for Hillary... compared to Bill - erm I think she has much more to give. And one thing what I do hope is the fact that US voting system would get much more better. It's funny how in country like US voting or counting votes isn't always so easy :p

I like our system even it says it's a nightmare to small parties (esp Green Party whines because they made one big mistake in last elections)

I am currently on the fence about whether I will vote or not, for many of the reasons stated above. I do believe that each vote counts though, that is why I am still considering it.

If I do decide to vote I will almost certainly vote for Hilary. Regardless of what people think of her or of the things that have happened in the past, I think she has proved to have a great amount of strengtha dn determination that the posistion requires.

As for candidates making promises they don't keep, you know what they say about good intentions and the best laid plans. Also you have to remember the President cannot actually do anything by himself/herself. They must have the approval of Congress. That does not imply that many have intentionally lied to obtain votes, merely that there are many other factors to consider.

I think it's a silly idea not to vote. When the system gives you a chance to alter things, why leave it? As said before here in this thread, every vote counts, even if all the votes mailed in aren't in on time to be counted.
It's like basketball really. When you're shooting hoops, you're not thinking: "I'm not gonna throw the ball because there's a chance I could miss?" You shoot the ball. You score, you think hey, I made a difference. You miss, well, at least you tried. Same thing with voting.

I'm not saying it's the best system ever, but it's the best we know. I mean, we had to vote in June, and we *still* don't have a government :rolleyes:

As for the candidates, as long as it's a Democrat, I'm happy :p

_Hush_, I take it you're in Belgium? Interesting situation there. I understand that this isn't the first time that this has happened, but is it the longest period between an election and a government being chosen?

I always vote. The year that I became a naturalized citizen I signed up within a couple of months to vote. I usually vote by mail since I usually volunteer on election day to be one of those people knocking on your door in the US to remind you to go vote on election day. It's really a responsibility and I hate to hear people carrying on about how the government has failed them... and they didn't even bother trying to change it. It's the only way to make the politicians do what you want, really. Threaten them with taking away their power if they don't serve the needs of the constituency. Just my $.02.

I am not from the US so that makes it, obviously, impossible for me to vote for the next president. But I do know that I hope that the next US president will be Hillary Clinton and I can only hope that she does better then the man who calls himself a president now..

She wouldn't have to do much to be a better president than the current incarnation. :D You can only go up from where this administration has left the country, regardless of which political party you support!

I am not from the US so that makes it, obviously, impossible for me to vote for the next president. But I do know that I hope that the next US president will be Hillary Clinton and I can only hope that she does better then the man who calls himself a president now..

Yeah, she can't screw up much worse than he has, can she? :lol: ;)

That's an interesting point you bring up. I know a lot of people that have gone into or are thinking about going into Political Science, and they're almost all women, but when you think about it, they don't get to the top that often, do they?
My degree is in PolSci, and the majority of students at my university studying PolSci were women. Several are working in politics, either for campaigns or for elected officials. I'm currently volunteering for a campaign, which I won't divulge.

Suffice it to say, it's not for Hilary.

If I were register to vote, it not going to be Hilary Clinton, I do not want her back in the White House, so she can steal more money from us, when she did steal the money from the White Water. Bill didn't take care of the health care for the last 8 years, what make you think she going to do it. She not going to do crap and she don't care about us, all she care about get in the White House. Last time, I heard or read somewhere, the White House do not like Hilary or Bill. They said, Hilary is a biotch and she is a very strong woman.

When the man from Iowa ask Hilary about the Social Security. She dash that question, she didn't give him the answered he want to hear. she is going to do in private.

Don't get me start on Bush. I find out from my mom that he has low IQ and all he does is party when he was in College. I said to myself, How is the word he get in the White House? Jeb Bush is smarter then his brother. Don't worry Jeb is not running for President, he declined it when his father and brother ask him.

That's my opinion. I'm not Demo or Republican, because I don't know who I want to vote. Like I said, It not going to be Hilary.

Springmoon said:
Way to be stealthy :lol:

Well you must admit, I didn't say it here! :p

It's difficult to choose one candidate, because none of them boast all the prerequisites I would select. I agree with Giuliani on his security stance, because I believe he's the only candidate who could keep the US safe and would work well with other world leaders. I agree with some of his social opinions, but not all of them. I agree with his tax plan and social spending plan. However, I have other issues with which I don't agree with him.

It's the same thing with the other candidates, Democratic and Republican. I was excited when Mayor Bloomberg said he might enter as Independent, because he doesn't lean strictly D or R. To be honest, I wish we had more viable political parties in the US, because Democrat and Republican just don't seem to cut it anymore.

I must admit though, that I'm the type of voter who judges a candidate on his/her merits and positions, not on the party affiliation. Although I'm registered with one party, I've voted for candidates in other parties because I agreed with their stances on issues I deemed important.

I think it's sad that so many US voters base their decisions, not just for President but on any election, on 30-second television commercials and internet videos, without reading up on the candidates, the propositions (laws in California), or measures (local laws in California).

PrettyEyes said:

I must admit though, that I'm the type of voter who judges a candidate on his/her merits and positions, not on the party affiliation. Although I'm registered with one party, I've voted for candidates in other parties because I agreed with their stances on issues I deemed important.

I think it's sad that so many US voters base their decisions, not just for President but on any election, on 30-second television commercials and internet videos, without reading up on the candidates, the propositions (laws in California), or measures (local laws in California).

You're right, it is so sad that people vote blindly without researching the candidate or their issues beforehand. Not every Democrat, for example, is pro-choice, and therefore not every Democrat will get my vote. It's so important for voters to be informed, but there is a huge swath of the voting population that doesn't even read a newspaper. It makes me want to cry.

_Hush_ said:
I'm not saying it's the best system ever, but it's the best we know. I mean, we had to vote in June, and we *still* don't have a government :rolleyes:

There was interesting article about that and about the whole Belgium (how it was a mistake :p ) and I have to say...dang :eek:

I study International Relations (as major aka Science of White American Man :p ) and Political Science (minor as well as Enviromental Studies) and yes... most of there are women.

...I had a thought about 08 Elections but it went away :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back