"Family Affair" Tenth Season Premiere Discussion *SPOILERS*

YAY for Liz & David in the opening credits.

I wasn't too thrilled about the dissention in the team. that just seems so out of character for all of them - including the absent Riley.

The case - quite predictable, IMO, except for the thugs raiding the morgue and shooting up the place. But then again, I wasn't surprised considering that's what the opening sequence was all about.

Loved Sara's return. Her scene with Catherine in the locker room was one of the best they've had together in all of the ten seasons.

My full review can be found here

I wasn't too thrilled about the dissention in the team. that just seems so out of character for all of them - including the absent Riley.

I thought so too, even for Riley. She just didn't strike me as someone who had any issues with Catherine's management. The only one she had any issues with was Ray and well, Grissom a bit before he left. :lol: The only "angry" one in any of those scenes who was in character was Ecklie. :lol: Everyone else was way out of character due to the writing/dialogue.

What was it that Cath said to Sara after Sara said being married means sharing your spouses interests? I couldn't understand what she said. Sounded kind of like "okay, but it's a weird side of you", but I'm not sure that is what she said. :lol:

Wow, that wasn't too bad. Actually, I really enjoyed it.

The opening was what I figured, with the stop-motion and all. I liked the little part where you see Greg holding Henry back during the shoot out. And Doc looked seriously pissed. Of everyone at the lab, he's the one I wouldn't want to get mad at me.

I loved the credits. Everyone had new scenes and of course Liz and David are there. Awesome! :)

Catherine: She seemed really stressed throughout the episode. I like how when she promoted Nick, she gave him all those review files. Grissom used to do the same thing to her. Brilliant! I liked her here.

Nick: Seeing him with the spider, being a little scared, I liked that. It could just be that he's got some trepidation about touching a spider, but I want to see it as a throw back to "Grave Danger". I disliked him in the bickering scenes, but then again, he's just as stressed as everyone else. Still, he should have stayed out of Catherine's and Greg's argument. Why was he sticking his nose in? But he did make up for it with his scene with Greg at the end. And a tarantula has been lurking around in the lab for how long ? :wtf:

Greg: I completely understand his blow up. I don't blame Catherine, the way she asked Greg was like it was out of habit. I don't think she really thought about it. He didn't seem out of character. We've never really seen him get irate, so it's hard to tell how he would react. Think about it, if you were working a high profile scene and were being sent off to do something else, even though you do have some senority, wouldn't you be pissed? His scene with Akers told me that what Greg was upset about was being treated like a level one. He understood the case he was on was just as important as the movie star, it was how the others were treating him that made him lose it. I totally get him. I really liked how his welcome back for Sara was the actual only welcome back we saw. Those two are good friends. IMO, he was great in the whole episode.

Ray: No more one-liners for Ray. Give them to Catherine or Brass. Especially Brass. His understanding in the bickering scene endeared him to me. I favorite scene of his was with Wilkes in the hospital. Ray has a dark side when dealing with suspects, I like that!

Sara: Okay, can't believe I'm going to say this. I LOVED her in this ep! Her smiley, friendly attitude was a nice balance for all the drama. She was the diplomat for everyone and it worked. I like how her marriage wasn't made into a big deal. Yet, because she is married to Grissom, I felt like he was there in a way. He hasn't been forgotten.

Riley: I still don't see her as a bad guy. We don't really know why she left so abruptly. Catherine may have been a factor, but I'm not sure if that was the only reason. Catherine's comments were bitter probably because everyone was stressed, over-worked, and short-handed. Besides, Riley had a point. And it got the ball rolling, wonderful legacy there Riley.

Others: Ecklie was his usual jovial self, which is just fine. Doc was AWESOME! He's becoming a favorite of mine. Brass was snarky, as usual. Nice. Hodges, however, was a prick. Had he apologized to Grissom, he would have been on his knees begging for forgiveness. Instead, he spewed the bullcrap to Catherine. He should have been disciplined. Little ****er!

Case: I figured the security guy had something to do with it. The shoot out wasn't too bad. A little brief, but good. Nick and Sara can't aim to save their lives :lol:. And, of course, Doc was kick @$$! I really liked how the body taken was Greg's DB. Nice twist. And the body in the wood chipper reminded me of Fargo. Disgusting yet still great.

My rating: A

Last edited:
Loved the episode. Thought all the interactions were great. May I make a comment on the out of character vibe? Perhaps Greg, Nick and Catherine seemed out of character to validate Riley's comments about their being no team unity. But also there have been a couple of times when Greg was a bit whiny(A Bullet Runs Through It comes to mind immediately). Times when Nickys kinda yelled at people(Leave Out All The Rest comes to mind). So I think they were just trying to show that yeah the team is fractured. Feelings are getting hurt where they shouldn't be and never were before. Otherwise there wouldn't be an weight to Riley's statements.

As far as Catherine snapping at Nick. She's always been the person to do everything herself. She can handle it all on her own. Well part of being a leader is being able to trust those who are under you to do their jobs and pick up the slack. Once Sara pointed out how much Cath did for Grissom and how he let her, I think she could see that Nicky would be ideal in helping her in the same way.

And also Greg's comments about having senority kinda mirrored what some of his fans have felt. And Ray acknowledging that he was low man on the totem poll shows respect to Greg.

And yes of course I loved all the interacting with Sara. I loved that everyone seemed as comfortable with her as she was with them. It's a testament to the fact that these people actually care about each other and are forgiving of things in the past. It's the fans who have always held things a bit longer than the actual characters.

I give this episode an A- and the minus is only because I didn't want it to end.

Oh and so cool about the opening credits now. SuperDave and Wendy have arrived...

I liked it. I mean, were some things slightly OOC for some characters? Yes, but I don't think that it made that big of a difference.

Look at Catherine. She was getting ambushed from all sides (Greg making a huge deal out of having to leave the scene, a high profile case, Ecklie on her back around every corner, Riley's report about her, someone [Hodges] opening their mouth, etc.). It's hard to be hit from every corner, and there's only so much people can take. I don't care who you are, there's a point when people start snapping and saying things they don't mean (trust me: I'm the most level headed, laid back person, and it takes a lot for me to start snapping but when I do, look out :lol:). There will be apologies, and I think Nicky's promotion was her way of apologizing to him. The words weren't there, but you could tell that she felt terrible for treating him the way she did and needed to let him know that she couldn't do the job without him. Did anyone else catch that brief little "Yeah, right!" look Marg gave when George was like "Love you too, Cath." Love that woman. :lol:

I'm liking Ray so far this season (actually didn't mind him last either). Yeah, he had a lot of scenes but it wasn't overkill. He was kinda....there, not taking charge, letting people do things. I liked his line about not being bothered by the shooting and that was bothering him. I can understand the reasoning there. Like there's been things that I've done where I know I just feel bad but it was justified, and that eats at you for awhile. Or, in CSITime, it will bug him for that one line.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a huge Sara fan. Sorry, but she's always rubbed me the wrong way. However, she was tolerable here. I wish they would have shown the reactions of Catherine and Nick after Sara appeared, and I wish that they would have had Greg walking up in the foreground so we could have seen Ray meeting Sara instead of vice versa. I didn't even mind the scenes with her and Catherine. Someone needed to give Catherine a kick in the butt to let her know that she's a good leader despite what Riley had to say. I'm whatever about all the GSR/marriage stuff, so I'll refrain from making comments about that.

Speaking of Riley, though, that totally came out of left field. I can't think of one thing last season that justified the comments she made in her report. I thought Cath did a good job in keeping the team running, so why even go there? Unless like in a span of a month over the summer it all fell apart, but whatever. Loved the Hodges bringing an apple for the teacher thing (hey, I'm an educator, I dig little things like that!). I love how quick Catherine was to realize that he was the one who opened his mouth and she didn't accept his peace offering. I like how she tossed the apple back to him. I would have launched it at his head!

Other little things I loved:

-The glasses are back. Rawr. That should be mandatory in every episode!
-I liked the Russian mob thing. SuperDave and Doc make a good tag team! Intruders don't stand a chance against those two! I guess the guy who was with Catherine was a lab person? Cause it looked like he got one of the guys, and Catherine moved to pull him out of the way and he got shot. That whole sequence was kind of confusing, but in a really cool way.
-Brass. He had one one-liner, yet it was awesome. Love Paul and hope that we get a few good scenes this season for our beloved Captain.
-The spider stuff was kinda...there for me. I hate spiders, so maybe that's why it wasn't appealing to me. lol
-David and Wendy are in the credits! Glad Liz added some girl power with Marg! Love all the new shots of them.

All in all, a great start to the season, and I hope that they keep it up.

It was actually nice to see Sara back. I liked the beginning how they went back, and it was cool that they threw the ending twist in their. The hobo being Oliva's father that was pretty neat.

Catherine...man I can't stand her. Nick trying to defend her and she berates him for it. He's so much nicer than I am...
I didn't feel that was berating him, so much as letting him know she didn't need him to come to her rescue. She's a very independent person and needed to remind him of that, especially in front of her supervisor.

Was a bit shocked by Greg, was like wow somebody's a bit testy but he has his reasons and I love me some Greg and Nick scene with the spider.
I was a little startled by his initial response to the assignment, but was proud to see that he'd done a quick attitude adjustment in the motel room. When the cop started grousing, he didn't fall in step, but pointed out the important stuff. Good for Greg!

So all in all, I liked the episode!
I liked it, but feel like they're still trying to find their way post-Grissom. I feel bad for Riley and the actress who played her, Lauren Lee Smith. I just feel like she didn't get a fair shake, and she did a good job with what little she was given.

But also there have been a couple of times when Greg was a bit whiny(A Bullet Runs Through It comes to mind immediately).

Don't recall him being that way in that ep. Was that the one where Brass was shot or the one where Brass accidentally shot that other cop? I don't remember Greg ever having complained about anything except when Nick and Warrick invaded his lab and Nick was sitting his chair. :lol: And of course to Mrs. James and the whole thing about the city throwing him under the bus.

Times when Nickys kinda yelled at people(Leave Out All The Rest comes to mind).

That wasn't a yell, that was just a reprimand and it was okay. I didn't have a problem with that. I wouldn't have had as much of a problem if Nick had said, "Greg, we're all tired, stressed and overworked. Just do what you're asked without complaining." That would have been a lot better than him saying virtually the same thing that Grissom once said to him "about him whining". Again, hated it when Grissom did it to Nick and thought it was out of character, and it was even more out of character for Nick. Grissom is not known for being a people person by his own admittance. Nick, however is very much a people person. It's not hard to believe that he would say something to Greg, but what he said was way off to me.

And also Greg's comments about having senority kinda mirrored what some of his fans have felt. And Ray acknowledging that he was low man on the totem poll shows respect to Greg.

I did like Ray in that scene. It did make me like him a lot more and have more respect for him... as did the fact that he wasn't overused in this episode. The screentime was balanced out beautifully and I hope it continues like this. I couldn't even keep track of the screentime between characters because it was so well balanced out. So, major kudos to tptb for that! :)

The opening sequence was so damn stupid and overly long that I nearly switched the channel.

That said, I absolutely loved the exchange of smiles between Nick and Sara when they were combing through the body pieces. I think it reminded both of them of liquid man in Bully For You.

In fact, I half way expected the show to go full circle by having Sara turn around and barf in the trash can.

YAY for Liz & David in the opening credits.

The case - quite predictable, IMO, except for the thugs raiding the morgue and shooting up the place. But then again, I wasn't surprised considering that's what the opening sequence was all about.

Loved Sara's return. Her scene with Catherine in the locker room was one of the best they've had together in all of the ten seasons.

My full review can be found here
Just read your full reveiw thanks its great,don't know when its airing over here so I will have to read about it here until I find it online,thanks again.

The opening sequence was so damn stupid and overly long that I nearly switched the channel.
Strange, I thought that was one of the best parts of the episode. It intrigued me how they introduced each character in their respective shots. Couldn't have been cheap to film and edit that, either. At least they were trying something different, which gives them points in my book, especially after having been on the air for so long now.

I wouldn't have had as much of a problem if Nick had said, "Greg, we're all tired, stressed and overworked. Just do what you're asked without complaining." That would have been a lot better than him saying virtually the same thing that Grissom once said to him "about him whining". Again, hated it when Grissom did it to Nick and thought it was out of character, and it was even more out of character for Nick.
I think what they were trying to show in both instances, but especially last night, is how people snap when stress and pressure build up to intolerable levels. Under those circumstances, even the most balanced, levelheaded, generous-of-spirit people can cave in and throw out petty replies . . . which they usually regret later and so they do what they can to make up for them. I thought the episode showed that Greg quickly realized the error of his ways at the motel room. We didn't have him state the obvious, that Nick's reply caused him to have an attitude adjustment. We just saw him go through that process and were left to infer that from the scene; that's how I interpreted it, that Nick just snapped back (and wasn't entirely wrong in what he said), then Greg snapped back but later, in retrospect, processed what had happened and headed off in the right direction. That's what professionals do, and it shows a lot of growth on Greg's part. It appears that he and Nick must've quickly mended fences, because they were laughing and joking later on.

Last edited:
But also there have been a couple of times when Greg was a bit whiny(A Bullet Runs Through It comes to mind immediately).

Don't recall him being that way in that ep. Was that the one where Brass was shot or the one where Brass accidentally shot that other cop? I don't remember Greg ever having complained about anything except when Nick and Warrick invaded his lab and Nick was sitting his chair. :lol: And of course to Mrs. James and the whole thing about the city throwing him under the bus.
Actually he was a little whiny in A Bullet Runs Through it. The scene was when they were all standing in the circle and he complained when Grissom sent him off to do the bullet casings trail. Then later on he whined a bit when Grissom finally came back to him and he asked if he was the only one still working.

I guess looking back on that he has complained a little but I think what I really did not like was when he got into with Nick by saying "Who asked you?" That just did not feel like something Greg would say to Nick. Maybe Hodges :lol: but not Nick.

They got whipped in the ratings by Grey's :(

I think what they were trying to show in both instances, but especially last night, is how people snap when stress and pressure build up to intolerable levels. Under those circumstances, even the most balanced, levelheaded, generous-of-spirit people can cave in and throw out petty replies . . . which they usually regret later and so they do what they can to make up for them. I thought the episode showed that Greg quickly realized the error of his ways at the motel room. We didn't have him state the obvious, that Nick's reply caused him to have an attitude adjustment. We just saw him go through that process and were left to infer that from the scene; that's how I interpreted it, that Nick just snapped back (and wasn't entirely wrong in what he said), then Greg snapped back but later, in retrospect, processed what had happened and headed off in the right direction. That's what professionals do, and it shows a lot of growth on Greg's part. It appears that he and Nick must've quickly mended fences, because they were laughing and joking later on.

I completely agree. I saw nothing wrong with how anyone acted in that scene. Catherine was just acting out of habit, asking Greg to go do the other scene, and when Greg disagreed, she snapped back. Greg had every right to be upset. Of course, Cath is the boss, but Greg had a point as well. Nick felt that Greg shouldn't question the boss's orders (though he has done so in the past) and attempted to put Greg in his place. Ray was also being very understandable. He knew he had lowest superiority, he was fine with it.

I don't see how everyone is upset about Greg being upset. He's stressed. They're stressed. Everyone's stressed. People get upset.

I feel like CSI Greg and Tech Greg are two different characters, and that's not a bad thing. Greg has matured quite a bit and I like that. I don't get that newbie vibe from him anymore.

Well Grey's also had a 2 hour premiere and a new, stronger lead in. I think the next few weeks will be the truer test in the ratings and how they compete. Season Finales and Premieres always are different from the rest of the season.

True people do get stressed out and tend to yell and complain more when they do. I should really know that in the job I work. As I rewatch the scene with Greg now I guess I can see him finally just at the end of his rope with how he is being treated as a CSI who does have seniority. I guess they just really wanted to show how "fractured" the team is feeling with everyone sniping at each other. I did appreciate Ray's respect for Greg in that scene, willing to step off the case.

Thankfully, the CSI premiere (4.1/15.72) pulled in better ratings than the dismal CSI finale did (3.4/14.42).

However, we still got hosed by Grey's (6.6/17.06) -- although I expected that because Grey's actually had 1 hell of a season finale and that made people want to tune in to the premiere.

At least the ratings are going up instead of down :)

I really enjoyed the premiere. My expectations weren't set too high to be honest, but everybody (except the techies) had their moments.
I'm so happy that Nick got promoted!! he deserves it so bad after 9 years. I'm happy Raymond got recognized as a CSI 2, as well. I've always loved Sara, and wasn't too happy with the melancholy way that she departed the show, but she was a breath of fresh air last night, she was always smiley, and giggly and she seemed really happy to be there.
As big a GSR shipper that I am, I'm glad that their marriage didn't over shadow the whole show, and it definitely tied Grissom in and made sure he wasn't forgotten.

I especially liked the scene where Sara and Nick were together in the morgue sifting through...dead body and they just start giggling. it brings back the sense of unity in the team that we're missing without Grissom Sara and Warrick as regulars.

Overall, I'm happy with it, and it made me want to tune in next week .

Back