CSI:NY Season 6 Spoiler Discussion - Start Spreading the News!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

^ Oh that's right, in the RND "peephole" scene she was wearing this filmy white slip-thing, although she was moving in the exact same way.

Maybe it could still be a casual non-fling scene between Adam and Stella, though? Like in Season 4's opener, Kendall slept over at Adam's in only her bra, but they didn't actually sleep together...

2. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

One of the main reasons Lindsay snapping, refusing to do her job, etc "didn't fly" was because she had TEN YEARS to deal with what happened to her friends. With Ruben being killed Danny was grieving for a couple of months tops before Lindsay went off on her MOD, and from the sounds of it they'll be picking up only a month after the shooting. If Lindsay had been going through something that was totally raw and new then she would've been given some slack. I don't see that as a double standard at all and I don't think it's because I hate Lindsay so much I'm blinded to giving the character her due when she deserves it.

Also, if they genuinely show Lindsay being there for Danny I don't think anyone will say she doesn't deserve to get angry, upset, break down, etc. But TPTB has a track record of not showing Lindsay doing anything for anyone else and then throwing one of her little fits when things aren't going her way. If they continue this trend Lindsay's not going to get very much empathy/sympathy.

3. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

She was told that the man who walked free for fifteen years after the murder of her friends was being brought into custody. The bare fact is she was meant to be going through something terrible and dealt with it in her way, just as Danny's going to be going through something terrible and will deal with it in his way. Unless you're trying to argue that there's a single way and a set time limit for people to deal with stuff, I really don't see how the time lapse makes an iota of difference, or how it would change Lindsay's storyline if the trauma was new and/or raw. It wouldn't make her behaviour any more acceptable if she'd been acting that way ten years ago. Any more than it would make a difference if Danny were permanently paralyzed and dealing horribly with it ten years down the road. You either feel one way or you don't, and time isn't likely to change that. If we look at a more recent example, what about the way Lindsay snapped at Adam when she was in labour? I found that scene funny, I can understand why she did it, didn't mean I found her behaviour acceptable or more deserving of "slack".

I'm not arguing against that. What I'm arguing against is the idea that Danny can act in any not-okay way he wants, but if Lindsay gets fed up with it at any point, that makes her a horrible person whose behaviour can't be viewed sympathetically by anyone. That's a notion I absolutely can't get behind. It's also the notion that's going to cause confusion if/when fans stick up for Lindsay's behaviour like they did in Season 4 (or to be fair, vice versa with Danny's behaviour and Lindsay-fans). People are entitled to feel a bias to whichever character they want, but that doesn't translate to concrete proof that the other character is wholly in the wrong. Danny being injured doesn't suddenly absolve him of all accountability.

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

PA's response pretty much sums up my feelings... not to mention, as we've talked about in the damaged thread, I think in a lot of those instances we were supposed to end up seeing Lindsay as justified in her actions. I don't really think she was--but then, I think if she really couldn't handle the basics of her job because of the shooting, she has no business being a CSI in the first place.

This is a different situation. As PA said, this is the present. And though I'm sure they'll both be emotionally hurt by what happens, it's Danny who is physically affected, whose body is changed from the shooting. And yes, that trumps any angst or frustration Lindsay has. It really trumps just about everything else--which is why I'm so glad in that clip Stella is calling Mac out on his "me, me, me" attitude.

I'm not saying she doesn't have a right to get frustrated, but at the end of the day, it is secondary to what he's going through, at least when it comes to their interactions. If he's cranky, sulky, difficult, emotional, sad... she's going to have to put up with it, and what's more, look for a way to reach him. He did more for her in season three before they were even together than she's ever done for him. It's time for her to step up to the plate.

Exactly. If she's really making an effort with him, no one would blame her for losing her shit with someone else and venting about how hard it is. But if she turns that on Danny, she's going to come off completely unsympathetic.

I think she didn't get the "it's okay, it's not your fault" that she was looking for. Maybe the beginning of trouble between them, of him really seeing her self-involvement and that she's "not what he thought she was."

5. Top41

But time does make a difference--that's just a reality. Otherwise, people would never move on. We'd still be grieving for whatever losses we've had as fresh as the day we first experienced them. That's not how it works--thank goodness.

Lindsay did get some slack in season three--maybe not from everyone, but certainly in the story. What's her excuse in season four? It's not that she went through some shit and was selfish and then got over it--it's that she's consistently self-involved. This storyline could be good for her if it forces her to wake up from that. If not, I think people are justified in saying they'll be reviled.

Maybe not, and if Lindsay continues to be focused on herself, I'm sure she'll still have her defenders. If Danny is a complete and horrid brat to her and crosses a line, I'm sure people will lose some sympathy for him. But what I suspect is that it will be what it always is with Danny--he's upset, he's angry... he shuts down. I really don't see him being terrible to her because that's not him. But I don't think it's unreasonable to hope she steps up to the plate... and to anticipate really, really reacting badly to her if she once again makes it all about her.

6. shippyangel

shippyangel Rookie

PLEASE, no adam/stella. i mean, i love both characters, for their own merits. but to imagine them as a couple is just too.... bizarre. no way.

7. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Not disagreeing with that; in fact, that's kind of my point. I do think we were supposed to see Lindsay as justified, but I know there were a lot of people cheering Stella on when she took Lindsay to task in "Silent Night". Hell, I was cheering Stella on in "Silent Night". Does that mean I'm defending someone who's actions are inexcusable and indefensible? No; because whether she should have or not, Lindsay signed up to be a CSI, she did something wrong (skipped on her duties) and she is accountable for her behaviour. I'm not seeing the huge difference.

I'm not disagreeing with this either: it's Danny's pain, his issue, it's not really about Lindsay. That's fact. And obviously, there's no real way to tell right now exactly how Danny's going to respond. But he pushed for the marriage, he signed on for the responsibilities he now has. Obviously he didn't plan on getting shot. But if he brushes aside those responsiblities or he's rude, he's done something wrong and he is accountable for his behaviour. Like Lindsay. That's where there's no difference in these situations. It's the idea that he's not accountable that I'm against (especially in light of the idea that if Lindsay does the same - shirks her responsibilities - she's awful for it). Physical pain or not, if he does something wrong he's done something wrong. Saying he hasn't is like saying Lindsay was perfectly entitled to be a b*tch to Adam when she was in labour.

True. He did it for her in S3, so I'd like to see her step up and do the same now. But this is the other issue. If Danny had told Lindsay where to get off in Season 3, like Stella did, I can think of few people who would've felt he was unjustified in doing so. Rightly so, because she was being rude and irresponsible, shutting him out and snapping at him. She may have had her reasons, but that's what she did, and he had every right to get fed up. But somehow it wouldn't stick if Lindsay were to do the same now? People who would think she's right to do so are excusing the inexcusable? Of course, it all depends on how Danny actually behaves; he has every reason to be cranky and difficult and etc. But no one has the duty to just sit there and take his bad behaviour (it's nice if they choose to, but not choosing to or taking him to task for it doesn't make them horrible). Lindsay may have more of an obligation than most, but he has obligations to her too now; and I don't see how it's okay if he doesn't pay so much attention to his, while Lindsay has to pay attention to hers.

There's no way to accurately judge this. People grieve in different ways, for various periods of time - and there are always things that rip open the wounds so that they feel fresh (like, say, having to face the murderer?). Not to mention I still don't see how Lindsay's actions would've been any more acceptable if her friends had just died. Either way, she wasn't behaving nicely. Doesn't make her a bad person, any more than it makes Danny a bad person if he gets cranky/sullen/whatever over this. But they're both still accountable for their behaviour.

Difference of opinions, of course; people are just as justified in saying that they won't be reviled, or that they'll find it easy to defend Lindsay's behaviour (again, depends on what happens). I'm not comfortable with the idea that if they do, it'll mean they're watching the show the wrong way, or they're feeling sympathy for the wrong character, or that they're blindly defending her. To some it might be completely incomprehensible that Lindsay could seem at all in the right in Season 4, but to a lot of people she did; not because they're blind Lindsay-fans, but because there's never only one person who's completely in the wrong during a showdown. There are two sides to every fight, and they might have chosen to take hers.

ETA:

Personally, I think he didn't say anything because he did blame her a little for his incident in the warehouse (although, you know, he could've avoided it easily by waking her up when it was time for her shift). I can't read much self-involvement into "I'm sorry, you took my shift", especially since she never got the response she'd have to be looking for to have that line become self-involved. So I tend to call a spade a spade: she felt bad.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  8. EngleBarn

EngleBarn Rookie

Okay, I don't have much of an opinion on the D/L drama, but one thing is certain, the Adam/Stella thing seems very unreal to say the least. I reread the interview here on Csifiles and noticed that Melina said 'teaser' and not promo. So she could just as well be referring to the deep Mac and Stella heart to heart clip that's also out. I just saw it on YT yesterday, and she does seem to hint that she cares. But she always does that of course... I know I'm just tumbling around in the dark, but anyhow...

Sigh, I'm perplexed. I don't know what to think.

9. Top41

I think that was definitely a case where we were supposed to see both sides. Stella was totally in the right until we found out what was up with Lindsay--and then we were supposed to cut her some slack. Some people did, some people didn't--but I think the writers cut her the slack.

Well, sure, though being in labor is a bit different than getting shot and paralyzed. I'm sure, if Danny is a complete and total ass to Lindsay, people will feel he's in the wrong. Hell, I think his worst moment was in season one's "The Dove Commission," when he went off on the son of a victim because Danny got beat up by a gypsy cab driver as a kid. But if he just shuts down and Lindsay gets pissed about that without trying to reach him like she did in season four--that's just not cool, at least from where I sit.

If Lindsay had been shot and was the one in a wheelchair, I'm sure everyone would be expecting Danny to step up and put up with her moods. And I think he absolutely would. The reason it's being so debated/highlighted is because we've not seen Lindsay do the same for him. This is what Lindsay is bad at. It's natural there's some reservations/concern.

Lindsay was being unprofessional at work and treating Danny like a doormat. We don't really know how Danny's going to react--if he's just dumps all the responsibilities for Lucy in Lindsay's lap, yeah, that's shitty. But come on--Danny adores that kid. I can't see him doing that. More likely, he'll be pulling away from Lindsay... but maybe not even that. He's probably going to be sullen and unhappy and withdrawn.

Of course there are--and I don't mean to imply otherwise. And that's what makes debate interesting. There's not a right or a wrong--just differing viewpoints. But people who dislike the character seem to feel this is a make-or-break storyline for her. If she treats her paralyzed husband like crap--the husband who moved to protect her when the bullets started flying--it's going to make her irredeemable in some people's eyes.

I don't think he blamed her so much as was completely shocked at her self-involvement in that moment. Here he is, bleeding and barely able to walk on his own and she's looking for reassurance. I'm sure she felt bad, but her first thought shouldn't have been for herself and how she felt--it should have been for him.

10. Andromeda

Andromeda Police Officer

Well, Melina called it a "shocking way to recover", and I don´t think she would think of it as shocking if Stella would begin a relationship with Mac, that would be just the obvious choice. I think Melina rather meant that for once Stella does something utterly unexpected and irrational for her usually composed nature, so I´m afraid she´s going to jump into a short-lived (?) affair with Adam. Melina calls it relationship, but I can´t think of it in any other term than affair, though I don´t think it´ll be just a one-night-stand.

11. fanficjunkie44

fanficjunkie44 Victim

OMG!!!! Please tell me this is all a nightmare..lol

I read the article :eek:..and I agree with Andromeda it wouldn't be a shock for her to be with Mac.....so I guess it is Adam....I just can't see her doing that...but I guess people react to grief differently...
    Nothing against Adam, but the though of he and Stella together is making me sick...... *sigh*
    Guess we will find out Wednesday... *sigh*
    :D FFJ

12. LpoHeartsNick

LpoHeartsNick Rookie

Ok, pity time.

My trainer gave me my training schedule for the week and he booked me in for Wednesday at 7pm. So now I am going to have to wait until later to watch it.
    Sad times all around.

13. Andromeda

Andromeda Police Officer

The only remotely sensible reason why Adam and Stella could come together is, that probably Adam will be at the right place on the right time. Like you say, everybody reacts differently to grief, and perhaps Adam just appears at a moment when Stella just hit rock bottom and feels sad and depressed. And ole Mac who should usually be her shoulder to cry on is too busy with dealing with himself and his frust about not catching the assassins. I know it sounds very cliché-like: woman seeks for comfort in a weak moment and ends in bed with the guy, and it is a bit too cheap for Stella, even if she´s in a state of distress and that´s another reason why I hate TPTB for this idea.

14. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

It was, and they did (cut her slack, I mean). I wouldn't be surprised to see them cut Danny slack, either. But the fact that the writers cut him/her slack doesn't obliterate the other side of the argument, any more than it obliterated the validity of Stella's side in "Silent Night". She was still totally justified in taking Lindsay to task.

No, I agree that if Lindsay lays into Danny without trying to reach him, it's worse now because she agreed to marry him: she has to take on that responsibility to reach out. At the same time, though, it's just as bad if Danny does what he did in S4 (shuts down to her, vents to everyone else) because he married her too: he has an equal responsibility to at least try talking to her, and he actively took on that responsibility. (One which, I would think, is at least as valid as work-responsibility.) These blase mentions of how Danny's going to be angry and shutting-down -- like it's perfectly acceptable if he blows off that responsibility, but horrible if Lindsay does the same -- that's what's weirding me out. I get that he's the one who's injured, but marriage really does take two. He chose that. His being injured doesn't change that. If she has to deal with him, he has to deal with her too. And if he chooses not to, I think he's in the wrong. If Lindsay gets frustrated without making an effort, that's wrong too. But seeing as they'd both be behaving crappily, as far as I'm concerned, anyone can just pick a side and defend it to the death - it wouldn't make either one any more or less wrong.

Although yeah, I can see the reasons for the reservations.

True, we don't yet know. And I'm not expecting to see him act irresponsibly or like an asshat, because yeah, that's not him.

This I find perfectly reasonable. But I don't expect to see it happen because Lindsay hasn't ever sunk to that level, and as a protagonist on a hit TV show, I don't think she ever can. Even to this day, I can't rate snapping-after-a-last-straw under the heading of treating Danny like crap. But if that's the standard of treating him like crap, then to me that's troubling, particularly held next to the idea that it's fine if/when Danny gets angry (snappish or whatever else "angry" might constitute) and difficult. It implies that it's fine if Danny treats her like that, but not if Lindsay responds to it, and injury or not I can't see how that's okay. Especially since in S3 when Danny started putting up with the same from Lindsay, it was seen as a sign of his damage.

We don't know that, because there's nothing to support it. (And given that her first thought was actually to drag him to the ambulance, I'm not seeing the self-involvement Danny should have been seeing here.) "You shouldn't have been here, you took my shift" - I can't read looking-for-reassurance in those lines which were completely focused on him, because she never got that reassurance. Which makes that line extremely counterproductive, if that was the only point of it. Again, a spade is a spade. The only thing we really know from that scene is that she's sorry he took her shift, and Danny had nothing to say in response (which is why I concluded he was sorry he took it, too).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  15. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

On adam/stella: if adam/stella do "get together"..I am going to give it a chance..we all may say "eww" and "Its not right", but I'll wait to see what they put on TV....

But, other then that..can the show just start now? I mean, I can not wait anymore haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.