CSI:NY Season 6 Spoiler Discussion - Start Spreading the News!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I agree that if Lindsay lays into Danny without trying to reach him, it's worse now because she agreed to marry him: she has to take on that responsibility to reach out. At the same time, though, it's just as bad if Danny does what he did in S4 (shuts down to her, vents to everyone else) because he married her too: he has an equal responsibility to at least try talking to her, and he actively took on that responsibility. (One which, I would think, is at least as valid as work-responsibility.) These blase mentions of how Danny's going to be angry and shutting-down -- like it's perfectly acceptable if he blows off that responsibility, but horrible if Lindsay does the same -- that's what's weirding me out. I get that he's the one who's injured, but marriage really does take two. He chose that. His being injured doesn't change that. If she has to deal with him, he has to deal with her too. And if he chooses not to, I think he's in the wrong. If Lindsay gets frustrated without making an effort, that's wrong too. But seeing as they'd both be behaving crappily, as far as I'm concerned, anyone can just pick a side and defend it to the death - it wouldn't make either one any more or less wrong.

Well, sure, yes, he should be dealing with her and working with her--but he's also human and Danny and probably won't be reacting well. Honestly, I see more angry outbursts and maybe tearful ones than anything else, and I have a feeling it will be that Lindsay has to deal with rather than him pulling away. He can't really pull away from her--physically he won't be able to, and I doubt he'll have enough emotional control to shield his feelings from the person he lives with.

Again, if he's an ass--no, of course that's not acceptable. But I think him being difficult is definitely understandable under the circumstances.

Although yeah, I can see the reasons for the reservations.

This I find perfectly reasonable. But I don't expect to see it happen because Lindsay hasn't ever sunk to that level, and as a protagonist on a hit TV show, I don't think she ever can. Even to this day, I can't rate snapping-after-a-last-straw under the heading of treating Danny like crap. But if that's the standard of treating him like crap, then to me that's troubling, particularly held next to the idea that it's fine if/when Danny gets angry (snappish or whatever else "angry" might constitute) and difficult. It implies that it's fine if Danny treats her like that, but not if Lindsay responds to it, and injury or not I can't see how that's okay. Especially since in S3 when Danny started putting up with the same from Lindsay, it was seen as a sign of his damage.

No, it's not okay--from either of them. But only one of them--Lindsay--has acted that way towards the other--Danny. Danny has just shut down and pulled away; she's actively yelled at him, manipulated him, been rude to him.

We don't know that, because there's nothing to support it. (And given that her first thought was actually to drag him to the ambulance, I'm not seeing the self-involvement Danny should have been seeing here.) "You shouldn't have been here, you took my shift" - I can't read looking-for-reassurance in those lines which were completely focused on him, because she never got that reassurance. Which makes that line extremely counterproductive, if that was the only point of it. Again, a spade is a spade. The only thing we really know from that scene is that she's sorry he took her shift, and Danny had nothing to say in response (which is why I concluded he was sorry he took it, too).

Didn't she say, "This is my fault"? It's been a while since I've watched "Snow Day," so I don't remember the exact dialogue, but just because he didn't give her reassurance doesn't mean she wasn't fishing for it.

Hello all! Only two days left until we find out whats going on!

Okay, here's my take on everything we've learned/speculated:

Adam/Stella:

Stella totally breaking down due to Angell's death and the shooting is believable and real. One of her best features is the fact that she's a strong capable woman who can take care of herself, but it's nice to see vulnerable Stella once in a while. Stella reaching out to someone for comfort is perfectly believable as well. And as I said, it would be a nice change for her. Having Stella deal with the Professor and Angell's death with any relationship though just cheapens the character. That's just not who she is.

Honestly, if the situation was different, I would have no problem with this. At heart I'm a Smacked shipper, but I can see Stella with just about any guy on the show. If it were someone else (Mac, Hawkes, maybe even Flack) it would be more believable than her hooking up with Adam. However, having her reach out to someone who she's never shown anything past almost motherly affection for and having them begin a relationship is insulting to both the characters and the audiance.

Danny/Lindsay:

I have no doubt that Danny will be angry at being in a wheelchair, but that's expected. He's always been someone who doesn't like, and isn't used to, relying on other people. Again, having him meekly accept the fact that he may never walk again just isn't part of his character.

I don't see him abandoning Lucy, he loves her too much to do so. In fact, I can see him actually spending more time with her. A sort of 'I realize the fragility of life' type deal. Shutting out Lindsay is almost normal for Danny, mostly because she's 'not good at this kind of thing'. If you know someone isn't good at it, you turn to someone else. It's human nature. So I have no doubts about Danny, and can't wait to see how well Carmine handles his disability.

Lindsay on the other hand... I predict her whining, complaining, being extremely difficult, and all in all making everything about her. Will having a newborn and a partially paralyzed husband be difficult? Of course it will! But there's no question that if she asked, the rest of the team would gladly help out (personally I'd love to see a Stella/Lucy scene or two!). Lindsay however will do nothing like that, until she finally snaps and everyone is forced to step in. And so she's made a martyr because she tried to take care of everything herself.

So, there's my two cents on everything.

Can't wait for Wednesday!

Snow day

Lindsay : I'm sorry
Danny : what, what you sorry about ?
Lindsay : you wasn't supposed to be here you took my shift

However, having her reach out to someone who she's never shown anything past almost motherly affection for and having them begin a relationship is insulting to both the characters and the audiance.

Has she been motherly, though? Or more like the sexy older woman who doesn't look at the cute, younger goofy guy who likes her... until she does. If Adam were totally nerdy, I'd probably be going, "Oh please!" but he's adorable. Totally. I guess we'll see how it unfolds, if indeed it happens this way.

Danny/Lindsay:

I have no doubt that Danny will be angry at being in a wheelchair, but that's expected. He's always been someone who doesn't like, and isn't used to, relying on other people. Again, having him meekly accept the fact that he may never walk again just isn't part of his character.

Exactly--I predict tears and anger and angst! That's just Danny. He's just one big bundle of raw emotional energy.

I don't see him abandoning Lucy, he loves her too much to do so. In fact, I can see him actually spending more time with her. A sort of 'I realize the fragility of life' type deal. Shutting out Lindsay is almost normal for Danny, mostly because she's 'not good at this kind of thing'. If you know someone isn't good at it, you turn to someone else. It's human nature. So I have no doubts about Danny, and can't wait to see how well Carmine handles his disability.

I wonder who Danny will turn to. Flack, his normal rock of support, is going to be dealing with his own stuff. Mac will be fixated on finding this killer. Adam and Stella are maybe hooking up. Hawkes has money woes. That might force Danny to turn to Lindsay--which might not be a bad thing for their relationship.

Lindsay on the other hand... I predict her whining, complaining, being extremely difficult, and all in all making everything about her. Will having a newborn and a partially paralyzed husband be difficult? Of course it will! But there's no question that if she asked, the rest of the team would gladly help out (personally I'd love to see a Stella/Lucy scene or two!). Lindsay however will do nothing like that, until she finally snaps and everyone is forced to step in. And so she's made a martyr because she tried to take care of everything herself.

Yeah, I kind of worry about it going that way, too. And then she'll play the "poor, long-suffering me!" card.

Snow day

Cool--thanks so much! I thought she said something along those lines. It kind of shifted the attention/focus to her. She was already dragging away from the truck after Flack wanted to call EMS to come to Danny... and then the first thing she brought up was her guilt.

Originally Posted by Top41:
Well, sure, yes, he should be dealing with her and working with her--but he's also human and Danny and probably won't be reacting well. Honestly, I see more angry outbursts and maybe tearful ones than anything else, and I have a feeling it will be that Lindsay has to deal with rather than him pulling away. He can't really pull away from her--physically he won't be able to, and I doubt he'll have enough emotional control to shield his feelings from the person he lives with.

Again, if he's an ass--no, of course that's not acceptable. But I think him being difficult is definitely understandable under the circumstances.

Okay, but there's the catch-22 right there. His circumstances make it alright for him to be difficult and have angry/tearful outbursts because he's human - but S3!Lindsay's didn't? (Yeah, I know the show made it out that we were supposed to view that sympathetically, but Stella's viewpoint still stands, even with a lot of Lindsay-fans that I've met. It's only fair, after all.) I still don't buy that Lindsay's trauma was too long ago to count, or that it was meant to be less because it wasn't physical. Trauma is trauma, and I think both characters were/are supposed to be shown going through their own brand of hell. Leeway is leeway, they either both get it or they neither get it. Personally, I can find myself sympathizing with Lindsay in Season 3 but I can't pass off her behaviour as okay and/or acceptable. It wouldn't have been any more acceptable had her friends died just that year, either. I fully expect to feel the same way about Danny in S6.

No, it's not okay--from either of them. But only one of them--Lindsay--has acted that way towards the other--Danny. Danny has just shut down and pulled away; she's actively yelled at him, manipulated him, been rude to him.

Still disagree about the manipulating, btw, but if regardless of her circumstances it's not okay for her to do that, I don't see how it becomes any more understandable if Danny gets angry. Of course we have no way of knowing now if he will or not, but if anger and angry outbursts are being predicted, how are they suddenly acceptable?

Didn't she say, "This is my fault"? It's been a while since I've watched "Snow Day," so I don't remember the exact dialogue, but just because he didn't give her reassurance doesn't mean she wasn't fishing for it.

I'll definitely have to re-check, but I'm 99.2% sure her exact lines were: "I'm sorry...You weren't supposed to be here, you took my shift." (Still not obsessed :alienblush:) Yeah, we can assume she was fishing for reassurance, like we could assume Lindsay actually did chase after Danny when he left the morgue in "Child's Play". They're both offscreen assumptions, I think, because there's nothing onscreen to support either. Onscreen, Lindsay said her line and got no response. (If she was really feeling guilty, that would've only affirmed her guilt; if she was just fishing for reassurance, Danny's non-response would've indicated that he thought she should feel guilty. It comes down to the same thing either way.)

ETA:
Originally Posted by Messers fan: Snow day

Thank you! Although, lol, shows I totally am obsessed *headdesk*

Originally Posted by KReguba: I don't see him abandoning Lucy, he loves her too much to do so. In fact, I can see him actually spending more time with her. A sort of 'I realize the fragility of life' type deal. Shutting out Lindsay is almost normal for Danny, mostly because she's 'not good at this kind of thing'. If you know someone isn't good at it, you turn to someone else. It's human nature. So I have no doubts about Danny, and can't wait to see how well Carmine handles his disability.

See, I don't see Danny ignoring Lucy either. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he does shut Lindsay out (I'm half-betting on it, actually). But it does mean that I personally am not going to hold Lindsay to marital "responsibilities" if I don't see Danny holding to those responsibilities, either. I'd like to see her step up to the plate; it'd be a nice change, good for her, and I'm hoping to see it. But you know, if Danny isn't going to talk to her, I don't see how she can be blamed for that. And finding him someone he can talk to is turning to the team for help (which Lindsay did in "All in the Family").

Stella totally breaking down due to Angell's death and the shooting is believable and real. One of her best features is the fact that she's a strong capable woman who can take care of herself, but it's nice to see vulnerable Stella once in a while. Stella reaching out to someone for comfort is perfectly believable as well. And as I said, it would be a nice change for her. Having Stella deal with the Professor and Angell's death with any relationship though just cheapens the character. That's just not who she is.

I can see how the grief-hookup would be cheapening Stella's character, although I don't think that necessarily has to be the case. If it were anyone else (Flack, Mac, hell even Hawkes) - I think it'd come across as perfectly healthy and maybe even fun. Maybe not so much with Flack because of the Angell-thing, but I include him in this too because he and the other two are on a much more equal footing with Stella, I think - there'd always be that level of being equals. With Adam and Stella, though...their relationship to date has such thick "boss/subordinate" overtones. You can see they're really fond of each other, but there's never any question that Stella's the boss and Adam's the under-worker who may/may not have a crush on her. That's where I see the cheapening aspect, because I don't see Stella ever taking advantage of that.

Last edited:

Okay, but there's the catch-22 right there. His circumstances make it alright for him to be difficult and have angry/tearful outbursts - but S3!Lindsay's didn't? (Yeah, I know the show made it out that we were supposed to view that sympathetically, but Stella's viewpoint still stands, even with a lot of Lindsay-fans that I've met. It's only fair, after all.) I still don't buy that Lindsay's trauma was too long ago to count, or that it was meant to be less because it wasn't physical. Trauma is trauma, and I think both characters were supposed to be shown going through their own brand of hell. Leeway is leeway, they either both get it or they neither get it. Personally, I can find myself sympathizing with Lindsay in Season 3 but I can't pass off her behaviour as okay and/or acceptable. It wouldn't have been any more acceptable had her friends died just that year, either. I fully expect to feel the same way about Danny in S6.

He can have angry and/or tearful outbursts without them being directed at Lindsay personally. That would be understandable. If he directs his feelings at Lindsay personally, that isn't understandable. S3 Lindsay (and S4 Lindsay) directed her feelings at Danny and other people, and usually it was when people had no clue what she was going through. That's unacceptable.

From what we've seen of Danny so far, he typically doesn't lash out at other people, so it's fair to speculate that he won't do that in this scenario too. Just like Lindsay's history shows she does lash out at other people so we can speculate that she will do the same in this scenario. Obviously we won't know how it plays out until we see the episodes. But as far as speculation goes I don't think it's a huge leap to expect Danny to shut down and for Lindsay to be selfish.

And I'm sorry, but life for me isn't all black and white. I'm gonna cut someone more slack if what they're going through happened last month than I will if it happened ten years ago. Generally speaking, someone who's had ten years to process and come to terms with something traumatic will (and IMO should) act differently than someone who only had a month or two to deal with a traumatic event.

Okay, but there's the catch-22 right there. His circumstances make it alright for him to be difficult and have angry/tearful outbursts - but S3!Lindsay's didn't? (Yeah, I know the show made it out that we were supposed to view that sympathetically, but Stella's viewpoint still stands, even with a lot of Lindsay-fans that I've met. It's only fair, after all.) I still don't buy that Lindsay's trauma was too long ago to count, or that it was meant to be less because it wasn't physical. Trauma is trauma, and I think both characters were supposed to be shown going through their own brand of hell. Leeway is leeway, they either both get it or they neither get it. Personally, I can find myself sympathizing with Lindsay in Season 3 but I can't pass off her behaviour as okay and/or acceptable. It wouldn't have been any more acceptable had her friends died just that year, either. I fully expect to feel the same way about Danny in S6.

Yeah, I guess I just can't see them as the same thing. One was ten years ago and she walked away. Two is the present and he's paralyzed. Trauma is not trauma--not in my book. There are levels--it's the same reason why murder and rape are treated more serious crimes than burglary or assault. Is the person who's assaulted traumatized? Sure. But I think someone who is raped is going to have a more difficult recovery than someone who gets beat up in a bar--emotionally at least. There are degrees, and time does make a difference. It's not just black and white.

Still disagree about the manipulating, btw, but if regardless of her circumstances it's not okay for her to do that, I don't see how it becomes any more understandable if Danny gets angry. Of course we have no way of knowing now if he will or not, but if anger and angry outbursts are being predicted, how are they suddenly acceptable?

Again, if he yells at her, if he's a jerk to her--no, that's not acceptable. I'm not saying that at all. What I'm saying is that the burden is on her to be supportive of him during this. She's got to do exactly what she didn't do in season four--she has to reach out to him, she has to be supportive of him, she has to break through those emotional walls (the ones he probably won't be strong enough to have up anyway).

I'll definitely have to re-check, but I'm 99.2% sure her exact lines were: "I'm sorry...You weren't supposed to be here, you took my shift." (Still not obsessed :alienblush:) Yeah, we can assume she was fishing for reassurance, like we could assume Lindsay actually did chase after Danny when he left the morgue in "Child's Play". They're both offscreen assumptions, I think, because there's nothing onscreen to support either. Onscreen, Lindsay said her line and got no response. (If she was really feeling guilty, that would've only affirmed her guilt; if she was just fishing for reassurance, Danny's non-response would've indicated that he thought she should feel guilty. It comes down to the same thing either way.)

There is a big difference between interpreting dialogue that is said by a character on screen and assuming something happens off screen. It's an interpretation--maybe correct, maybe not, but based on something that happened on screen.

She shouldn't feel guilty about him taking her shift, but she should feel guilty for not doing what was best for him--making him wait for EMS to come to him like Flack wanted--and for fishing for him to reassure her minutes after he's been rescued.

He can have angry and/or tearful outbursts without them being directed at Lindsay personally. That would be understandable. If he directs his feelings at Lindsay personally, that isn't understandable. S3 Lindsay (and S4 Lindsay) directed her feelings at Danny and other people, and usually it was when people had no clue what she was going through. That's unacceptable.

Exactly. If he takes it out on Lindsay--not cool, not cool at all. Being angry or hurt in general... that's to be expected.

From what we've seen of Danny so far, he typically doesn't lash out at other people, so it's fair to speculate that he won't do that in this scenario too.

Agreed. Aside from that one incident in "The Dove Commission" where he was a brat to the victim's son, he doesn't tend to take things out on people, especially those he cares about.

Just like Lindsay's history shows she does lash out at other people so we can speculate that she will do the same in this scenario. Obviously we won't know how it plays out until we see the episodes. But as far as speculation goes I don't think it's a huge leap to expect Danny to shut down and for Lindsay to be selfish.

Exactly--it's in character for both.

And I'm sorry, but life for me isn't all black and white. I'm gonna cut someone more slack if what they're going through happened last month than I will if it happened ten years ago. Generally speaking, someone who's had ten years to process and come to terms with something traumatic will (and IMO should) act differently than someone who only had a month or two to deal with a traumatic event.

Agreed, 100%.

Agreed. Aside from that one incident in "The Dove Commission" where he was a brat to the victim's son, he doesn't tend to take things out on people, especially those he cares about.
And after the case was over he went to the victim's son and admitted he acted like a douche bag and apologized for his behavior. When has Lindsay ever apologized for anything?

Yikes! Weighing in on the Adam/Stella spoilers and speculation….

I reread the interview here on Csifiles and noticed that Melina said 'teaser' and not promo. So she could just as well be referring to the deep Mac and Stella heart to heart clip that's also out.
Personally, I don’t think she’s talking about Mac. Putting Mac and Stella together at this point would be surprising, but not necessarily shocking, especially following on the last few episodes of season five. But we’ll see soon enough. Off the top of my head, the only other pairing I can think of that might be just as shocking would be Stella/Sinclair, but I don’t think he shows up in the teaser at all.

Definitely share the Adam/Stella concerns. It just seems wrong to me and I'm not sure how they can play it without Stella coming across as using him a little. It's clear he had a crush on her but I've never got the mutual vibe from her before. There's such a power imbalance between them that it feels too weird.
Yep, the power imbalance is a major ick factor. Stella and Adam are both adults, but they are on such different levels when it comes to position, life experience, confidence, etc. that it’s just not an equal pairing. And in this type of scenario, I think the person in the position of power (Stella) is usually the one who comes off looking bad.

Stella's bar none the best female character they've got, and one of the best characters period. I hope Melina continues with the show, (well, so long as it's good), and that the show doesn't do Stella serious damage. Of course I like Adam too. But I think, if it is the two of them who are linked, and it really does turn out there's an implication of romance etc, that Stella's got far more at stake. Character-wise. Show-wise.
Agreed. Adam might seem a bit pathetic for allowing himself to be drawn into this situation, but in the end, he is more likely to come off as the injured party. It is Stella who is likely to bear the brunt of the blame for any negative consequences because she is the one with the power, position, experience, etc. who presumably should know better.

As the lead female character, I think Stella has more to lose, and they would be taking a big risk in pairing her up with a secondary character in an unconventional and (potentially unpopular) relationship. I really can’t think of a scenario right now (involving a romantic/sexual relationship between A/S) where Stella will not come off as a bit of a user, who is taking advantage of Adam’s nature and feelings for her own purposes. I don’t think it’s a side of Stella we’ve seen to this point and not one I’m interested in seeing.

MK and the writers have created a strong, positive female character who to date has largely escaped the cliché of the otherwise competent professional woman who is emotionally damaged and destructive when it comes to personal life. I would really hate to see that change for the sake of some short term shock and drama. And frankly, I think this type of storyline could diminish Stella’s status as the “leading lady” and put her in a bit of a one-down position relative to Mac.

My first reaction was to deny outright that the show would ever Go There But all the same, I'm lacking faith. It's not a path I'd want to see. For me would be one more nail in the coffin, one more shark following the kayak.
Well, I’m trying not to over react, but…Is that Fonzie on water skis that I see in the distance? :lol: Seriously, we don’t yet know what the parameters of a Adam/Stella relationship might be, so I’ll try to avoid a meltdown until there’s something more concrete. Stella is one of my favorite characters, though, and I’m not interested in seeing her damaged or torn down.

I can see where two people would take comfort in each other after what the team goes through. It's quite a stretch for me to see Adam and Stella going the romantic route but I can see them caring for each other in some way that leads to sex. Adam is a very sweet guy and I think he would be good at taking care of Stella, but I don't think it will be a long-term thing and I really REALLY can't see them letting anyone know they are sleeping together.
I agree whatever “relationship” Adam and Stella might have probably wouldn’t be a long-term thing, but I can’t see something like this ending well. I’m not sure why the writers would go down this road unless they are looking to reap the benefits of the drama that ensues when someone (probably Adam) gets hurt or someone (probably Mac) finds out about the affair.

And personally, I don’t get the psychology that explains what would take a character like Stella from a traumatic near-death experience to a “relationship” with a character like Adam. I expect the actors will do their best with whatever material they are given, but I don’t trust that the context and build-up for this type of storyline will be adequate or believable.

Anyway. Ew, but I'll wait and see. Either way it's not going to turn me off of CSI:NY, and I doubt it'll ruin either of their characters. At the very least, it could easily boost Adam's self-esteem, and if the hookup actually helps them feel better, then I can worry about how it'll affect their overall relationship later.
I can see how something like this could boost Adam’s presence and status as a character because of all the male regulars, he would get the distinction of being paired with Stella first. I’m less certain about the impact on Stella. I think a lot depends on how far they might go with the relationship and how it might end, which I don’t think will be happily. These types of storylines have a way of tainting characters, and it can take awhile to recover, if ever. I just hope they don’t take a course that damages Stella too much.

As for the season-ending gunplay, she said, ''All the characters have to deal with that near-death experience in a different way.'' For Stella, she said: ''The way she recovers is kind of shocking. She forms a relationship with someone unexpected and complicated. It's a big surprise. Before I saw the script, I thought, it's been six years. What could they do that would surprise me? This did.''
She stopped short of saying with whom Stella will be linked, but did hint that ''if you watch the teaser that's on the air, you'll probably figure it out.''
I still think she is refering to the clip of her and Mac.Someone unexpected and complicated could also be Mac since they have been trying to convince everybody that there relationship is "Brother and sister" that has been the montage for the last few seasons. And being complicated could mean having a weak moment and sleeping with the boss. When she tells Mac he is not in this alone he might just make a move suggesting that he gives her comfort and it goes further. Adam and Stella just does not work. I am sorry and I am NOT buying it! It seems way to ridiculous and almost borders on Cradle robbing! She is not a sluty type or "Mrs. Robinson" Tucking Adam into bed instead of taking Adam to bed seems more realistic!:lol: But I could see her succumbing to Mac too ease her pain and they both apologize. She has always said Mac and Stella would probably not get together for many more seasons so maybe she is surprised TPTB have changed there minds. Mac sure looked after her as she walked away right before the bar scene after she kissed and hugged him goodbye maybe after Stella almost getting shot at twice, the professers brother, and in the bar maybe Mac will become vulnerable to feelings he may have for Stella. She sure has been kissing and huggung him alot! Not like her brother either!!:lol:

I still think she is refering to the clip of her and Mac.Someone unexpected and complicated could also be Mac since they have been trying to convince everybody that there relationship is "Brother and sister" that has been the montage for the last few seasons. And being complicated could mean having a weak moment and sleeping with the boss. When she tells Mac he is not in this alone he might just make a move suggesting that he gives her comfort and it goes further.

The thing is I don't think people would figure that out from the promo. There's nothing at all in there to make the leap that anything is going on between Mac and Stella beyond their usual dynamic. But there is a clip of Adam in bed together with a clip of Stella in her underwear. It being them is an easy assumption to make for anyone who watches the promo. I don't think she would have said people could figure it out from the promo if she was talking about Stella and Mac. I also don't think she'd say putting Mac and Stella together would be the only way TPTB's been able to surprise her in six seasons. Maybe it would be happening sooner than she would think, but it wouldn't be totally surprising.

Originally Posted by PerfectAnomaly:
He can have angry and/or tearful outbursts without them being directed at Lindsay personally. That would be understandable. If he directs his feelings at Lindsay personally, that isn't understandable. S3 Lindsay (and S4 Lindsay) directed her feelings at Danny and other people, and usually it was when people had no clue what she was going through. That's unacceptable

Unless he's having those outbursts at walls or at thin air, they're going to be directed at people. Even that "look at me" line from the promo implied he was shouting at a person - whether or not it was justified, we have no clue, but unless it's the person who shot him that he's yelling at, he's directing his feelings at someone not directly responsible for his condition. That's either okay or not okay for both characters, it can't be fine for one and not for the other. IMO it'd be perfectly understandable if he's shouting to vent, I don't care, but is this misguided anger any less unacceptable than any of Lindsay's outbursts? We don't know yet, but I'm inclined to think no.

From what we've seen of Danny so far, he typically doesn't lash out at other people, so it's fair to speculate that he won't do that in this scenario too. Just like Lindsay's history shows she does lash out at other people so we can speculate that she will do the same in this scenario. Obviously we won't know how it plays out until we see the episodes. But as far as speculation goes I don't think it's a huge leap to expect Danny to shut down and for Lindsay to be selfish.

Sure, but if you're going to take Lindsay to task for being "selfish" (especially on the grounds that she's married to him now, and has a responsibility to know better), you're going to have to do the same with Danny shutting down - he's just as responsible as Lindsay is for this marriage (if not more so); in which case we'd be back at Season 4's square-one, with both Lindsay and Danny being equally wrong on the same issue - and the fans being split the exact same way.

Fair enough, but like you said, life's not black and white - I can't view things the same way. People grieve/deal in different ways, at different levels. And if someone went through something horrible ten years ago, I can't see them being more contemptible or less deserving of leeway because they should be dealing better by now. How the heck wouldI know how they should be dealing? I'm not them. If I feel sympathy now, chances are I'll feel the same sympathy ten years down the road - and if I can't feel it then, it's probably because I never felt it. Similarly, if I can't find Lindsay's behaviour nice or excusable now (even if I find it understandable), it wouldn't be any more excusable ten years earlier just because that's when the crime happened. What would she be doing differently? Either way she'd be lashing out at people who aren't responsible for her trauma. Same with Danny (though yeah, we have no way of knowing just how he'll behave now).

Yeah, I guess I just can't see them as the same thing. One was ten years ago and she walked away. Two is the present and he's paralyzed. Trauma is not trauma--not in my book. There are levels--it's the same reason why murder and rape are treated more serious crimes than burglary or assault. Is the person who's assaulted traumatized? Sure. But I think someone who is raped is going to have a more difficult recovery than someone who gets beat up in a bar--emotionally at least. There are degrees, and time does make a difference. It's not just black and white.

Also fair. But you have to admit, personal bias plays a huge role in the levels you see as more traumatic. Like, I may not be fond of Lindsay's S3 storyline, but I do have to think seeing/hearing three close friends be shot to death feet away would be more akin to the "rape" analogy than Danny's being shot is (given that he's apparently walking around again a couple months or so later, that actually seems more like the "beat-up-in-a-bar" trauma). No matter when it happened or how young she was. I can't see people who, ie, lost someone in Columbine or 9/11 as less deserving of sympathy or leeway than someone who got stuck in a wheelchair a month ago, just because those traumas happened at least a decade ago whereas the wheelchair-thing was more recent. Everyone's going to have a different personal bias. And personal bias isn't the best measuring stick to determine which character is "good" or "terrible".

There are degrees, and that's actually why I said trauma is trauma. There is literally no way to agree on which trauma is worse, or which should be easier to get over (or how long it should take to get over), which is why I'd think it'd make more sense to look at both storylines as they're presented: two characters separately going through a terrible time, and dealing with it as they did/will.

Again, if he yells at her, if he's a jerk to her--no, that's not acceptable. I'm not saying that at all. What I'm saying is that the burden is on her to be supportive of him during this. She's got to do exactly what she didn't do in season four--she has to reach out to him, she has to be supportive of him, she has to break through those emotional walls (the ones he probably won't be strong enough to have up anyway).

See, I can agree with this. I wouldn't be able to get behind Lindsay making absolutely no effort to be supportive. But I think Danny equally has the burden of doing what he didn't in Season 4, lowering those walls (which, to be honest, I'm iffy on how strong they will/won't be). If he doesn't, I couldn't see that as any more okay than Lindsay's not trying to reach him. I don't see him being injured as absolving him of that responsibility.

There is a big difference between interpreting dialogue that is said by a character on screen and assuming something happens off screen. It's an interpretation--maybe correct, maybe not, but based on something that happened on screen.

Maybe, but if it's not supported by anything else in the show/episode, I can't see how it becomes any more concrete than an offscreen assumption. I mean, I could just as easily assume that Danny's "Marry me" proposal from the episode "Super Men" was serious. There's absolutely nothing to support that interpretation, a lot to contradict it; and to assume otherwise would require making a lot of offscreen assumption. With Lindsay's Snow-Day lines, we can come up with any interpretation we want, but the notion that she was just fishing for reassurance isn't supported - especially because she didn't get it, and in fact only got an affirmation that she should be feeling guilty. She'd've been more reassured, I think, if she'd just stayed silent.

She shouldn't feel guilty about him taking her shift, but she should feel guilty for not doing what was best for him--making him wait for EMS to come to him like Flack wanted--and for fishing for him to reassure her minutes after he's been rescued.

The EMS/ambulance thing never came up once; and I agree, she shouldn't feel guilty about him taking her shift. But she was made to - by the end of that episode, we got the sense that Lindsay was already feeling guilty, or that she should be (and would soon start feeling guilty). Like I said, she'd probably have gotten more reassurance if she'd stayed quiet.

Last edited:
. It being them is an easy assumption to make for anyone who watches the promo.
A little to easy if you ask me.

Maybe it would be happening sooner than she would think, but it wouldn't be totally surprising.
Not totally but surprising none the less....By the way say Hi to Louie for me!!:lol:

Unless he's having those outbursts at walls or at random animals, they're obviously going to be directed at people. Even that "look at me" line from the promo implied he was shouting at a person - whether or not it was justified, we have no clue, but unless it's the person who shot him that he's yelling at, he's directing his feelings at someone not directly responsible for his condition. That's either okay or not okay for both characters, it can't be fine for one and not for the other. IMO it'd be perfectly understandable if he's shouting to vent, I don't care, but is this misguided anger any less unacceptable than any of Lindsay's outbursts? We don't know yet, but I'm inclined to think no.

There's venting, and there's venting at someone. You can complain and gripe, or you can attack/accuse someone. The first is okay, but the second is not--no matter who is doing it. Danny bitches all the time about stuff, but he rarely lays into people the way Lindsay does--like when she chewed him out for calling her Montana in "Manhattan Manhunt" or griped that he gives her all the crappy jobs in "Oedipus Hex."

Fair enough, but like you said, life's not black and white - I can't view things the same way. People grieve/deal in different ways, at different levels. And if someone went through something horrible ten years ago, I can't see them being more contemptible or less deserving of leeway because they should be dealing better by now. How the heck wouldI know how they should be dealing? I'm not them. If I feel sympathy now, chances are I'll feel the same sympathy ten years down the road - and if I can't feel it then, it's probably because I never felt it. Similarly, if I can't find Lindsay's behaviour nice or excusable now (even if I find it understandable), it wouldn't be any more excusable ten years earlier just because that's when the crime happened. What would she be doing differently? Either way she'd be lashing out at people who aren't responsible for her trauma. Same with Danny (though yeah, we have no way of knowing just how he'll behave now).

Also fair. But you have to admit, personal bias plays a huge role in the levels you see as more traumatic. Like, I may not be fond of Lindsay's S3 storyline, but I do have to think seeing/hearing three close friends be shot to death feet away would be more akin to the "rape" analogy than Danny's being shot is (given that he's apparently walking around again a couple months or so later, that actually seems more like the "beat-up-in-a-bar" trauma). No matter when it happened or how young she was. I can't see people who, ie, lost someone in Columbine or 9/11 as less deserving of sympathy or leeway than someone who got stuck in a wheelchair a month ago, just because those traumas happened at least a decade ago whereas the wheelchair-thing was more recent. Everyone's going to have a different personal bias. And personal bias isn't the best measuring stick to determine which character is "good" or "terrible".

Maybe we just have different views on this. I guess I do think the physicality of it is a big deal. Danny's body is directly affected by what happened (the rape metaphor was a really loose one, obviously, not meant to be direct in any way). He's changed by it physically. What happened to Lindsay was horrible, terrible and tragic, but at the end of the day, she's a survivor. She did walk away. Her friends' parents lost their children. Lindsay lost her friends and I don't mean to trivialize that in any way, but she didn't lose her life. And it happened ten years ago. What's happened to Danny is fresh, and immediate and has the potential to have life-long physical ramifications. Even if he can walk again, he might be in pain for the rest of his life. Ten years down the road, I'd expect him to be able to deal (although pain is something that's pretty immediate when you're experiencing it). But for now, I'd expect him to be a wreck, in the same way I expect Lindsay was ten years ago.

There are degrees, and that's actually why I said trauma is trauma. There is literally no way to agree on which trauma is worse, or which should be easier to get over (or how long it should take to get over), which is why I'd think it'd make more sense to look at both storylines as they're presented: two characters separately going through a terrible time, and dealing with it as they did/will.

But society assigns levels to trauma. Why is the punishment for burglary not as severe as it is for rape? If some guy was going on and on about how he got beat up in a bar to a woman who had been raped, wouldn't we find that a bit distasteful? And then there are people who use something bad that happened to them as an excuse for bad behavior---something I think Lindsay did a bit in season three.

See, I can agree with this. I wouldn't be able to get behind Lindsay making absolutely no effort to be supportive. But I think Danny equally has the burden of doing what he didn't in Season 4, lowering those walls (which, to be honest, I'm iffy on how strong they will/won't be). If he doesn't, I couldn't see that as any more okay than Lindsay's not trying to reach him. I don't see him being injured as absolving him of that responsibility.

Danny retreating into himself might literally be a defense mechanism. It's really hard to say at this point whether he'll do that or whether he'll bleed emotionally all over the place. I kinda suspect the latter.

Maybe, but if it's not supported by anything else in the show/episode, I can't see how it becomes any more concrete than an offscreen assumption. I mean, I could just as easily assume that Danny's "Marry me" proposal from the episode "Super Men" was serious. There's absolutely nothing to support that interpretation, a lot to contradict it; and to assume otherwise would require making a lot of offscreen assumption. With Lindsay's Snow-Day lines, we can come up with any interpretation we want, but the notion that she was just fishing for reassurance isn't supported - especially because she didn't get it, and in fact only got an affirmation that she should be feeling guilty. She'd've been more reassured, I think, if she'd just stayed silent.

A lot of people interpret that "Marry me" and being jokingly serious--like he was actually thinking she was the one for him in that moment. I think it's out there, but hey, it's an interpretation. As for her searching for reassurance, just because she didn't get it doesn't mean she wasn't looking for it.

The EMS/ambulance thing never came up once; and I agree, she shouldn't feel guilty about him taking her shift. But she was made to - by the end of that episode, we got the sense that Lindsay was already feeling guilty, or that she should be (and would soon start feeling guilty). Like I said, she'd probably have gotten more reassurance if she'd stayed quiet.

Never came up once? :confused: Flack called for EMS, and Lindsay ignored him and dragged Danny away. If Lindsay felt guilty, she didn't feel that guilty... she kind of smiled as she said it.

Originally Posted by Curiosity:
I agree whatever “relationship” Adam and Stella might have probably wouldn’t be a long-term thing, but I can’t see something like this ending well. I’m not sure why the writers would go down this road unless they are looking to reap the benefits of the drama that ensues when someone (probably Adam) gets hurt or someone (probably Mac) finds out about the affair.

Exactly. I actually think the one way this Adam/Stella thing could end well is if they made it long-term...and I still don't see how that's going to be possible. I mean, if it were long-term we'd at least get the sense that Stella was really serious about Adam, thus I think they'd be on a more equal footing. But if the power imbalance doesn't get to them first, the issues that they're trying to run away from/sleep away are going to catch up to them. And yeah, I guess it's always possible that something long-term can result from something that starts off this skewed/damaged, but I can't quite make myself believe that that's seriously where the writers are planning to go with the storyline. If they were, I don't think it would have come as such a surprise to Melina.

I can see how something like this could boost Adam’s presence and status as a character because of all the male regulars, he would get the distinction of being paired with Stella first. I’m less certain about the impact on Stella. I think a lot depends on how far they might go with the relationship and how it might end, which I don’t think will be happily. These types of storylines have a way of tainting characters, and it can take awhile to recover, if ever. I just hope they don’t take a course that damages Stella too much.

Yeah...I do think the storyline has more potential to hurt Stella's character than Adam, just because Adam is more likely to be seen as the "victim", so to speak (I doubt he'll actually be a victim, because if nothing else I think Stella would always take his feelings into consideration, but because she's his boss and all...). But it's mostly the disparity in their "equalness" that disturbs me - if Stella and Adam viewed each other on more equal footing, I think the hookup would actually be a lot of fun to see. But being fair, it's always possible that this could be what puts them on a more equal footing - could make Adam see Stella as less of a paragon, and definitely make Stella see him as less of a little-brother. Which could also be a happy ending. I don't like the implication that Adam would have to sleep with her to get that equal footing :shifty:. But it would be pretty realistic for people who may not have known each other that well to become much closer friends because they were friends-with-benefits first.

Originally Posted by Lori K.:
I still think she is refering to the clip of her and Mac.Someone unexpected and complicated could also be Mac since they have been trying to convince everybody that there relationship is "Brother and sister" that has been the montage for the last few seasons.

Mac sure looked after her as she walked away right before the bar scene after she kissed and hugged him goodbye maybe after Stella almost getting shot at twice, the professers brother, and in the bar maybe Mac will become vulnerable to feelings he may have for Stella. She sure has been kissing and huggung him alot! Not like her brother either!!

I agree about Mac and Stella being brother/sister-y more than anything, but those scenes you mentioned - wouldn't that be exactly why Mac/Stella shouldn't come as a huge shock to Melina? Even if they were putting them together earlier than she expected, it certainly doesn't seem like SMacked should be the surprise to beat out six years of surprises. She's kind of been hinting recently that the writers might head in that direction anyway.

Adam and Stella just does not work. I am sorry and I am NOT buying it! It seems way to ridiculous and almost borders on Cradle robbing! She is not a sluty type or "Mrs. Robinson" Tucking Adam into bed instead of taking Adam to bed seems more realistic!:lol:

Actually, that's interesting (I mean the tucking Adam into bed part :p). In S4's first episode, we saw Kendall sleeping over at Adam's and neither of them were wearing anything but underwear, but they didn't actually sleep together. Isn't it possible that the same thing happened with Stella and Adam (she crashed at his place overnight or something, and maybe they became closer friends because of that)? Or does Melina's "surprise" remark scotch that possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back