CSI:NY Season 6 Spoiler Discussion - Start Spreading the News!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Curiosity:
I agree whatever “relationship” Adam and Stella might have probably wouldn’t be a long-term thing, but I can’t see something like this ending well. I’m not sure why the writers would go down this road unless they are looking to reap the benefits of the drama that ensues when someone (probably Adam) gets hurt or someone (probably Mac) finds out about the affair.

yep, i agree!

...it's mostly the disparity in their "equalness" that disturbs me - if Stella and Adam viewed each other on more equal footing, I think the hookup would actually be a lot of fun to see.

yes, that bothers me as well.

Originally Posted by Lori K.:
I still think she is refering to the clip of her and Mac.Someone unexpected and complicated could also be Mac since they have been trying to convince everybody that there relationship is "Brother and sister" that has been the montage for the last few seasons.

Mac sure looked after her as she walked away right before the bar scene after she kissed and hugged him goodbye maybe after Stella almost getting shot at twice, the professers brother, and in the bar maybe Mac will become vulnerable to feelings he may have for Stella. She sure has been kissing and huggung him alot! Not like her brother either!!

I agree about Mac and Stella being brother/sister-y more than anything, but those scenes you mentioned - wouldn't that be exactly why Mac/Stella shouldn't come as a huge shock to Melina? Even if they were putting them together earlier than she expected, it certainly doesn't seem like SMacked should be the surprise to beat out six years of surprises. She's kind of been hinting recently that the writers might head in that direction anyway.

i agree with both of you - she's said that she didn't think anything would happen between mac & stella until the show was on its last legs, so maybe this is the surprise? that conversation snippet was definitely pretty intense.

there has definitely been some vague notion of them being like brother and sister, but frankly if i was like that with my brothers (or they with me), i'd be very worried! :guffaw:

LoriK said:
Adam and Stella just does not work. I am sorry and I am NOT buying it! It seems way to ridiculous and almost borders on Cradle robbing! She is not a sluty type or "Mrs. Robinson" Tucking Adam into bed instead of taking Adam to bed seems more realistic!:lol:

i completely agree!!

I tried quoting and it's screwing up, so I'm just gonna respond without quoting.

Shouting to vent - even with other people around to hear it - is not the same thing as directing it at another person. The "look at me" line is followed up with (or preceded by, I can't remember) "do you want this to happen to anyone else?" Obviously we won't know until the episode airs, but to me he sounds like he's upset with someone who may have information about the shooter(s). We don't know if Danny's anger is misguided or not as of now. If he's taking out his feelings on other people, then yes, it's misguided. If he's angry and upset but NOT taking it out on other people then it's not misguided. Lindsay took her issues out on other people and that's unacceptable. The jury is still out for Danny.

No one is saying Danny's not as responsible for the marriage as Lindsay. They are equally responsible for it. To imply Danny might be more responsible makes no sense to me. Yes, he pushed for the marriage, but Lindsay is a grown woman with a mind of her own. He didn't force her into anything.

Another reason Lindsay doesn't get the empathy/sympathy that Danny does, IMO, comes down to the acting. Carmine has warmth and depth to his acting so I can understand where Danny's coming from and understand why he does things even if I think what he did was wrong. Anna has no warmth or depth to her acting and to me Lindsay just comes off as being mean and bitchy. There's nothing in her portrayal to give clues as to why she's behaving the way she is. I have to infer what the intent was from the writing, and I'm not going to have sympathy/empathy for a character if the actor doesn't sell to me that they deserve it.

I'll always give someone who's trauma is more recent more leeway than someone who's had years to come to terms with their trauma. To treat them the same seems like a "one size fits all" approach to dealing with people and that doesn't make sense to me.

ETA: I started typing this before Top posted, so I'm sure I'm repeating some, if not all, of what she said.

Originally Posted by Top41:
There's venting, and there's venting at someone. You can complain and gripe, or you can attack/accuse someone. The first is okay, but the second is not--no matter who is doing it. Danny bitches all the time about stuff, but he rarely lays into people the way Lindsay does--like when she chewed him out for calling her Montana in "Manhattan Manhunt" or griped that he gives her all the crappy jobs in "Oedipus Hex."

True. I can see the difference between venting just to vent and venting-on-the-attack, and can see how one would be okay and justifiable while the other wouldn't be. I just think that standard shouldn't really change: whether the person venting-on-the-attack is traumatized, crippled, on the verge of death, all of the above or whatever.

Maybe we just have different views on this. I guess I do think the physicality of it is a big deal. Danny's body is directly affected by what happened (the rape metaphor was a really loose one, obviously, not meant to be direct in any way). He's changed by it physically. What happened to Lindsay was horrible, terrible and tragic, but at the end of the day, she's a survivor. She did walk away. Her friends' parents lost their children. Lindsay lost her friends and I don't mean to trivialize that in any way, but she didn't lose her life. And it happened ten years ago. What's happened to Danny is fresh, and immediate and has the potential to have life-long physical ramifications. Even if he can walk again, he might be in pain for the rest of his life. Ten years down the road, I'd expect him to be able to deal (although pain is something that's pretty immediate when you're experiencing it). But for now, I'd expect him to be a wreck, in the same way I expect Lindsay was ten years ago.

I might view things differently, yeah, about the importance of physical vs. emotional trauma. Even looking at it from the physical side of Danny's trauma, if he were permanently crippled, still feeling pain and still dealing badly with it ten years down the road: I wouldn't find it any more okay for him to behave badly then, than I would now. At the same time, I can't see feeling less sympathy for his plight ten years later, just because he should've learned to deal better and get over it after ten years. Not being the one in a wheelchair, I can't see how I would judge that. After at least thirty years of using his legs I'd totally get why he wouldn't get over losing them only ten years later. Wouldn't make it acceptable for him to ditch responsibilities/lash out/etc, but I think it'd be sympathetic. And I don't think that standard changes for emotional trauma, just because it's not physical pain. Pain is pain, and if Lindsay was a wreck in S3, it's safe to assume she was one ten years ago, too. I was sympathetic, yeah, but if I wasn't in S3, I doubt seeing her go through the trauma a decade earlier would change that. It wouldn't change the way she was behaving.

But society assigns levels to trauma. Why is the punishment for burglary not as severe as it is for rape? If some guy was going on and on about how he got beat up in a bar to a woman who had been raped, wouldn't we find that a bit distasteful? And then there are people who use something bad that happened to them as an excuse for bad behavior---something I think Lindsay did a bit in season three.

Yeah, society does assign levels to trauma; and those levels are usually in direct correlation to the long-term effects of that trauma. That's why the charges for burglary are less than the ones for assault, which are less than the ones for rape, etc. That why, imo, I think it's impossible to say ten years is more than enough time to get over emotional trauma. These crimes are usually rated in terms of how deep their emotional impact might run. Murder is obviously one of the highest charges, because of the emotional impact on others that murder causes. Societally, the concept of justice for the murdered is far more about justice and peace of mind for the loved-ones-of-the-murdered; not to be brutal, but that concept dodesn't really matter anymore to the people who've been killed. But that's the emotional side of the argument. If you're more about the physicality, then it's completely fair to say that attempted murder and temporary paralysis is about as traumatic as it can get for someone without actually dying. It's impossible to decide which is worse because obviously, actual murder is rated higher than attempted murder; Lindsay could've walked away from that diner in Montana without a scratch but still suffered more deeply than Danny will. Or he's the one going through excruciating pain/paralysis/fear-of-mortality, but is apparently up and walking again by episode 6.06 and at the end of it he didn't lose anyone. I find both of them sympathetic, and I could totally see both of them "using" those traumas to excuse bad behaviour. But I think we'll literally be here forever if we try to decide which is worse, because there'll always be someone who's gone through either one or the other of those traumas who naturally feels their side of things is worse. Either way, both are horrible things to go through. And no, how long ago they went through those things doesn't change that for me.

Danny retreating into himself might literally be a defense mechanism. It's really hard to say at this point whether he'll do that or whether he'll bleed emotionally all over the place. I kinda suspect the latter.

Fine, but pushing people away is also a defense mechanism. In light of her work-responsibilities and what she may/may not have promised Danny, it wasn't okay for Lindsay because she'd already "signed up" for both, so to speak. Same difference. Of course it depends on how Danny uses this defense mechanism, and I'm hoping to see the emotional-bleeding too.

A lot of people interpret that "Marry me" and being jokingly serious--like he was actually thinking she was the one for him in that moment. I think it's out there, but hey, it's an interpretation. As for her searching for reassurance, just because she didn't get it doesn't mean she wasn't looking for it.

LOL, okay :lol: I guess I can see how any interpretation can fly, even if it's so not supported. With Lindsay's lines, though, it defeats the purpose of "searching" for reassurance if you don't get that reassurance and don't keep pressing until you do. As it stood, if she was searching for reassurance, all she got was the message that Danny blamed her. (At least, I think that's how I think she would've interpreted his silence, especially if she was looking for him to say "no, it's okay".) IMO, it washes out. Particularly because she didn't deserve that blame. If he'd done as he promised to do (wake her up), his involvement would've been avoided.

Never came up once? :confused: Flack called for EMS, and Lindsay ignored him and dragged Danny away. If Lindsay felt guilty, she didn't feel that guilty... she kind of smiled as she said it.

I meant that if Flack had a problem with Lindsay dragging Danny away, he certainly didn't voice it or even move to object/stop her; and neither did Danny. They never once indicated that they thought Lindsay should stay put. Unless she was meant to be picking up some kind of silent code from them that definitely wasn't coming across visually, I'm not seeing how she should've gotten the message that moving Danny to the ambulance wasn't the best idea. How do you feel guilty for something you're apparently not doing wrong? [Additionally, please; they're both around six-feet, and she's I think 5'3 in heels. Injured or not, if neither Danny or Flack felt that he should be moving, Lindsay wouldn't have been able to drag him anywhere.]

Also, she didn't smile; sorry, but just saw this episode on DVD, and I don't remember that. Her lips moved when she started talking, if that's what you mean, but there was no smile.

Last edited:
Sorry if I'm double-posting, but I don't want to chance missing something again, so I figured this'd be easier...:lol:

Originally Posted by *lisasimpson*:
i agree with both of you - she's said that she didn't think anything would happen between mac & stella until the show was on its last legs, so maybe this is the surprise? that conversation snippet was definitely pretty intense.

I don't know, that conversation from the sneak peek was only as intense as that conversation Mac/Stella had in "Personal Foul", about the wife of that vic who was killed by the Cabbie Killer. It was certainly less intense than that convo of theirs where Stella was reading his tea leaves (actually I have no idea which episode that is, anyone else know?). But I was saying that SMacked should not come as a complete surprise to Melina. Even if it was being done earlier than she expected, I can't see how it'd come out of left field, which she seemed to think this new storyline of hers did.

Originally Posted by PerfectAnomaly:
Shouting to vent - even with other people around to hear it - is not the same thing as directing it at another person. The "look at me" line is followed up with (or preceded by, I can't remember) "do you want this to happen to anyone else?" Obviously we won't know until the episode airs, but to me he sounds like he's upset with someone who may have information about the shooter(s). We don't know if Danny's anger is misguided or not as of now. If he's taking out his feelings on other people, then yes, it's misguided. If he's angry and upset but NOT taking it out on other people then it's not misguided. Lindsay took her issues out on other people and that's unacceptable. The jury is still out for Danny.

True; I agreed with this when Top said it, too.

No one is saying Danny's not as responsible for the marriage as Lindsay. They are equally responsible for it. To imply Danny might be more responsible makes no sense to me. Yes, he pushed for the marriage, but Lindsay is a grown woman with a mind of her own. He didn't force her into anything.

My implying that Danny is more responsible for the marriage has nothing to do with force, more to do with the fact that if he'd listened to her the first time ("Triangle"), he wouldn't have that responsibility. Neither would Lindsay for that matter; but she totally made her own choice, she has to live with it.

Another reason Lindsay doesn't get the empathy/sympathy that Danny does, IMO, comes down to the acting. Carmine has warmth and depth to his acting so I can understand where Danny's coming from and understand why he does things even if I think what he did was wrong. Anna has no warmth or depth to her acting and to me Lindsay just comes off as being mean and bitchy. There's nothing in her portrayal to give clues as to why she's behaving the way she is. I have to infer what the intent was from the writing, and I'm not going to have sympathy/empathy for a character if the actor doesn't sell to me that they deserve it.

That's personal bias. Which is completely fine, of course, but wouldn't exactly hold as solid proof that Lindsay is somehow less deserving of sympathy for the fans who are likewise biased to her/Anna's acting. Or fans who just like Lindsay, even if they think Carmine's acting often has more depth (or, me). And I don't see how "his acting's better" makes something okay or less reprehensible for Danny, than it would be for Lindsay, even from an objective viewpoint. Especially if comes down to what it did in S4 again (Lindsay vs. Danny + mass drama and fans).

I'll always give someone who's trauma is more recent more leeway than someone who's had years to come to terms with their trauma. To treat them the same seems like a "one size fits all" approach to dealing with people and that doesn't make sense to me.

I know I'm approaching this from my own viewpoint now, but to me it seems a little pointless to bother giving anyone compassion or leeway if it's not going to last. I mean, pulling out a CSI example, I can't imagine how Mac and Stella's friendship would've lasted if she slowly got less sympathetic with his grief over Claire or his workaholic tendencies as the years passed. People's method of dealing shouldn't be on anyone else's schedule but their own. If they're going through hell, they're going through hell - it's not a contest to see who gets out the fastest, and if they're still stuck there years later I don't see how it'd make them a lesser person unless I already thought they were a lesser person.

In the promo Danny is yelling at the girl who called him. she wanted to meet him to ask him to protect her brother because if he was part of the plan to shoot at the bar he didn't do it, she wants Danny to help him and in exchange she will tell Danny the true, and names. Danny is so pissed of that she thinks she shouldn't come - Danny is with mac and the girl get killed - so the anger is not turn to Lindsay

Also Stella reading in the tea leaves is in ground for deception 5x24

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah...I do think the storyline has more potential to hurt Stella's character than Adam, just because Adam is more likely to be seen as the "victim", so to speak (I doubt he'll actually be a victim, because if nothing else I think Stella would always take his feelings into consideration, but because she's his boss and all...).
Exactly she is his boss and she takes her position seriously that is why I doubt she will be sleeping with Adam. The Kendall thing was more a peer thing but Stella is not Adams peer.

Sorry if I'm double-posting, but I don't want to chance missing something again, so I figured this'd be easier...:lol:

Originally Posted by *lisasimpson*:

I don't know, that conversation from the sneak peek was only as intense as that conversation Mac/Stella had in "Personal Foul", about the wife of that vic who was killed by the Cabbie Killer. It was certainly less intense than that convo of theirs where Stella was reading his tea leaves (actually I have no idea which episode that is, anyone else know?). But I was saying that SMacked should not come as a complete surprise to Melina. Even if it was being done earlier than she expected, I can't see how it'd come out of left field, which she seemed to think this new storyline of hers did.

hmm yeah, it's the surprise bit that's bothering me a bit, but i guess we'll find out soon!

as for the intensity, yes, i agree, there have been equally/more intense chats in the past, but in light of stuff that happened (generally and between M&S) in the last two eps, it seemed a bit more so, like the conversations they have now are slightly more loaded than the ones before, because it seems to me like something changed with GFD and pay up.

My implying that Danny is more responsible for the marriage has nothing to do with force, more to do with the fact that if he'd listened to her the first time ("Triangle"), he wouldn't have that responsibility. Neither would Lindsay for that matter; but she totally made her own choice, she has to live with it.

What you're saying is that because Danny really wanted to marry Lindsay enough to go to the lengths he did it somehow makes him more responsible for the marriage. That's not true. No matter how persistent Danny was Lindsay always had the choice to say no and walk away. They're equally responsible.

That's personal bias. Which is completely fine, of course, but wouldn't exactly hold as solid proof that Lindsay is somehow less deserving of sympathy for the fans who are likewise biased to her/Anna's acting. Or fans who just like Lindsay, even if they think Carmine's acting often has more depth (or, me). And I don't see how "his acting's better" makes something okay or less reprehensible for Danny, than it would be for Lindsay, even from an objective viewpoint. Especially if comes down to what it did in S4 again (Lindsay vs. Danny + mass drama and fans).[/quote]

Where did I say it was "solid proof??" I was talking about why I personally don't have sympathy/empathy for Lindsay as a character. Like everything else it's an opinion and interpretation. If everything came down to convincing one side to agree with the other this board might as well shut down.

When I understand where a character is coming from and the performance is nuanced and has depth I will have more empathy. Understanding what a character's motives are and being able to see what they're feeling has a huge impact on the level of empathy/sympathy a viewer can/will feel. IMO Anna always comes off as pissed off and bitchy. She never comes off as doing/saying anything because she's hurt. I'm not going to have empathy for a character I find to be bitchy. It's not gonna happen. And yes, it's personal bias. EVERYTHING comes down to personal bias in the end. Why do you think there are different interpretations of canon events?

Your views are a result of personal bias as well, but that doesn't make your views any less valid than mine, so why do you feel the need to try and invalidate other people's opinions if you don't agree with them?

If someone robs a bank because they are desperate to get money for their child's life saving medical treatment I'm going to feel for them. If someone robs a bank for kicks and giggles I'm not going feel any sympahty/empathy. I recognize both acts are wrong and I'm aware both acts will have consequences, but I'm gonna feel bad for the first person and not feel bad for the second.

I know I'm approaching this from my own viewpoint now, but to me it seems a little pointless to bother giving anyone compassion or leeway if it's not going to last. I mean, pulling out a CSI example, I can't imagine how Mac and Stella's friendship would've lasted if she slowly got less sympathetic with his grief over Claire or his workaholic tendencies as the years passed. People's method of dealing shouldn't be on anyone else's schedule but their own. If they're going through hell, they're going through hell - it's not a contest to see who gets out the fastest, and if they're still stuck there years later I don't see how it'd make them a lesser person unless I already thought they were a lesser person.

It's not about totally losing empathy/sympathy for a person. Again, it's not all black and white. Stella knows that Mac went through hell when Claire was killed. But after a while we saw Stella trying to get Mac to work less and go out more. We also see that Stella doesn't take any bullshit from Mac and will call him on his behavior when she thinks he's out of line. She can still have empathy for Mac and realize that it's been eight years and he can't get away with the same behaviors he could have the day of the attacks. People can't treat someone the same way eight years later that they treat them the day of said trauma. If they do, no one would ever move on and deal.

Also, empathy/sympathy is not an all or nothing deal. People are complex and they also change all the time and someone can empathize with a person in one situation and not another. People are complex and to say that if you don't empathize with a person in one situation you'll never empathize with them or vice versa to me seems like you're reacting to people like they never change or never should change and that makes no sense to me.

In the promo Danny is yelling at the girl who called him. she wanted to meet him to ask him to protect her brother because if he was part of the plan to shoot at the bar he didn't do it, she wants Danny to help him and in exchange she will tell Danny the true, and names. Danny is so pissed of that she thinks she shouldn't come - Danny is with mac and the girl get killed - so the anger is not turn to Lindsay

Guys, this is an example of a spoiler that gives away too much about the plot and the case--while you might know some major details about the case, giving away a big twist ruins the mystery/suspense for others who are watching. Please don't do this. While we all want some spoilers--especially about what's going on with the characters--no one wants a major plot twist given away that will take out some of the suspense in watching the episode. Please keep that in mind when posting spoilers.

What you're saying is that because Danny really wanted to marry Lindsay enough to go to the lengths he did it somehow makes him more responsible for the marriage. That's not true. No matter how persistent Danny was Lindsay always had the choice to say no and walk away. They're equally responsible.

Agreed, completely.

Your views are a result of personal bias as well, but that doesn't make your views any less valid than mine, so why do you feel the need to try and invalidate other people's opinions if you don't agree with them?

Let's try to keep the debate friendly--I think it's safe to assume that in any debate, we're all coming at it from our personal points of view. Everyone is biased--just the way it is. Something to accept and just continue on with the debate.

It's not about totally losing empathy/sympathy for a person. Again, it's not all black and white. Stella knows that Mac went through hell when Claire was killed. But after a while we saw Stella trying to get Mac to work less and go out more. We also see that Stella doesn't take any bullshit from Mac and will call him on his behavior when she thinks he's out of line. She can still have empathy for Mac and realize that it's been eight years and he can't get away with the same behaviors he could have the day of the attacks. People can't treat someone the same way eight years later that they treat them the day of said trauma. If they do, no one would ever move on and deal.

Also, empathy/sympathy is not an all or nothing deal. People are complex and they also change all the time and someone can empathize with a person in one situation and not another. People are complex and to say that if you don't empathize with a person in one situation you'll never empathize with them or vice versa to me seems like you're reacting to people like they never change or never should change and that makes no sense to me.

Exactly--it's not a case of losing sympathy as it is recognizing the need for people to move on. If you're holding on to anger/grief from a ten-year-old trauma to the point that it's as fresh as the day it happened, there's something wrong there. To live a healthy life, you need to at some point let it go--accept what happened, find some way to make peace with it, and move on. To live a normal, healthy life, you kind of have to. And friends pushing someone to do that aren't losing sympathy--they're trying to help. It's simply natural to cut someone more slack in the aftermath of a tragedy than it is ten years down the road--and a lot of that is for the person's own sake.

Sorry for the spoiler I won't do it again -

about trauma I can tell you that you can't just tell let's move on and forget 7 years ago my son has an accident just in front of my eyes on the way back to school, it is still in my mind like it happened this morning and i'm still scared can't talk about it without crying a trauma is a trauma immediatly after or many years later so I know it's a show and not real life but character but even if I don't like Lindsay alot I can understand the way all of this has been handled

Sorry for the spoiler I won't do it again -

Thanks. :)

about trauma I can tell you that you can't just tell let's move on and forget 7 years ago my son has an accident just in front of my eyes on the way back to school, it is still in my mind like it happened this morning and i'm still scared can't talk about it without crying a trauma is a trauma immediatly after or many years later so I know it's a show and not real life but character but even if I don't like Lindsay alot I can understand the way all of this has been handled

No one is saying you forget. No one is saying you get over it and never think of it again after X amount of time--though that's kind of what Lindsay did after that trial since it's been referenced since. (Though it could be argued she got the closure she needed.) All we're saying is that there is a difference between the day after something happened and 10 years after it happened.

The only remotely sensible reason why Adam and Stella could come together is, that probably Adam will be at the right place on the right time. Like you say, everybody reacts differently to grief, and perhaps Adam just appears at a moment when Stella just hit rock bottom and feels sad and depressed. And ole Mac who should usually be her shoulder to cry on is too busy with dealing with himself and his frust about not catching the assassins. I know it sounds very cliché-like: woman seeks for comfort in a weak moment and ends in bed with the guy, and it is a bit too cheap for Stella, even if she´s in a state of distress and that´s another reason why I hate TPTB for this idea.

I HATE this idea! And I can see it being a right place right time kinda thing, but that is too OOC for Stella. I can't see her doing this...and with Adam, that is just a little hard to believe.....Guess we will find out tomorrow night...

I know it sounds very cliché-like: woman seeks for comfort in a weak moment and ends in bed with the guy, and it is a bit too cheap for Stella, even if she´s in a state of distress and that´s another reason why I hate TPTB for this idea.
See I agree with this totally. But, perhaps she got to the point where she couldn't count on Mac? He was too into himself and finding the shooter to be focused on his friend or anyone else.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mac. Especially when he's brooding and pissy. But sometimes he gets a little so self absorbed. Stella is supposed to be his friend, one of his best friends. (I think they are more than 'just friends' but that's for a different thread)

Possibly Stella got fed up with trying to reach out to Mac, per the clip of them talking, and Adam was right there. :shifty:

I don't see it lasting, too much like Gil and Sara on Vegas. Stella is street wise, smart, very gorgeous and a great CSI. I think Adam has had a crush on her from day one. That's where I think the writers are trying to go with this storyline, but I just don't see any long term relationship. If anything I see lots and lots of flirting.
Perhaps, this will pull Mac's head out of his rear end and force him to focus on his TEAM and not pursue his personal agenda. :confused:

As for Danny/Lindsay. I'm not sure what to make of it. I know it will be hard on Lindsay, I'm sure she will voice her frustrations. Possibly to Stella or possibly to the new girl or even to Mac.
There is bound to be a fight between Danny and Lindsay as well. She's exhausted and he's frustrated.

We'll have to see how that goes too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back