Why Lindsay Must Go

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by JDonne, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

I don't think they needed to fill a vacancy either, but as mentioned in the much earlier posts in this thread, the writers probably didn't just want there to be only one main female in the cast. It wouldn't have bothered me much. I'd rather have a mostly male cast if it meant that all the characters were fully developed. The fact that Lindsay can only exist if Danny's there is a lot more insulting to me as a female.

2. d2400

d2400 Hit and Run

I have to agree with Top41, carrieattheprom etc., the whole concept of her character was not well thought out from day one. Why would someone, who has been through something like that, pick a career that involves the most hideous aspects of a crime, I mean she is clearly not "over" what happened to her, then move from Montana to New York. HELLO!! New York!! Way more crime and violence there. Maybe this storyline was not their original plan for the character but I have a feeling they are really not sure what to do with the character. But the direction they are going is wrong on so many levels!!!!
    P.S. carrieattheprom: You are welcome!

3. MichelleK

MichelleK Pathologist

carrieattheprom. I agree. It wouldn't bother me that Stella was the only female because as we found further along the line they inroduced Angell and Peyton. The cast being a male dominated one is no problem as long as the characters are fully developed and are continuing to sparkle on screen. The cast dynamic just kinda changed when they introduced Lindsay. It must be insulting to Anna to know that she is only being used for Danny' love interest.

4. privatename

privatename Rookie

I guess it makes sense that they didn't want only one main female cast member, but I agree with the above that it is more insulting if they are only going to use her as Danny's love interest or if they are going to portray her as a whiny brat who can't do her job. For me, especially when you compare her to Stella, Lindsay seems very bland.

5. JDonne

JDonne CSI Level One

The great thing about this board is that in addition to being the largest game in town, it encourages the exchange of opposing viewpoints and some of the other boards can’t say the same thing. The other great thing about Talk is that the writers have free access to the board without going through great pains and they take advantage of that by reading this board.

Lindsay as more of a surrogate, a proxy of sorts is what you’re saying, which makes sense since she really is, as someone stated above, more caricature than character.

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I think the fact that there is more nuance and depth to the supporting characters on this show than one of the regulars is sad, but I think the writers are dealing with certain limitations, one of which being Anna's acting. Put her against Claire Forlani or Robert Joy or AJ Buckley, and she just pales in comparison. When one of the regulars doesn't even measure up to supporting players, that's definitely a weakness.

Yes, indeed, and all of those, every last one, is a cliche (well, maybe not creepy stalker...I would like to see more of that from her). Whereas if you look at the other characters, they are all more than the archetypes they were born from. Danny might be the stereotypical tough New Yorker, but emotionally he's vulnerable and hurt by what he sees on the job. Flack might be the tough-talking cop, but he's a great wit as well. Stella is just now starting to open up a bit emotionally. They're all complex outside of their basic bios, whereas Lindsay is just a mishmash of cliches, none of which even gel together. How can the "cute, tough country chick" also be the "weak, whining victim"? Those two don't even mesh.

Exactly. If supposedly her dark secret drew her to this work, wouldn't she have washed out of CSI training really quickly when it was clear she couldn't handle the deaths of young girls? Or are we supposed to believe that she never before her move to New York encountered a dead teenage girl? :lol:

And yes, why mothers but not fathers, why not the carnage in "Manhattan Manhunt," etc., etc. There are so many holes it's ridiculous.

Aiden's spot didn't need to be filled--the team was fully-fleshed out and each character complex and intriguing as it was. I guess I would put it this way...whatever gap Aiden left, Lindsay couldn't fill because of what a one-dimensional character she is. There's nothing to her, nothing but a desire for Danny she didn't feel she could act on until the killer of her friends was found guilty and then, oh boy! just try to stop her from jumping him in the courtroom. She's just a shell--there's no depth there, no complex reasoning or thought behind what she does. She just doesn't belong among a cast as good as this one is, with characters as nuanced as the ones on CSI: NY.

7. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

JDonne, you have hugely hurt my feelings there. I'll have you know I spent a good TEN minutes on that theory, which is at least TEN TIMES what the writers put into Lindsay's dark!!sekrit!!111 story.

*offended*

8. peanut

peanut Prime Suspect

^^ahh, poor baby! :(
    *giggle*
    :lol:If it helps, I wishfully think she should be a serial killer, too! It took me a whole 2 minutes for that, too. Hope that makes you feel better! :lol:

9. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

Maybe she was the one who helped Shane Casey escape at the end of Hung Out To Dry, and came rushing into the lab to tell Stella and Mac to keep the suspicion off of her.

10. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

11. JDonne

JDonne CSI Level One

:lol: :lol:

There there my sweet, I didn't mean it the way that it sounded. I'm sure you took ten, well maybe seven :p, minutes on that theory and I believe in it wholeheartedly. I meant that it was wishful thinking in the sense that the writers want to thwart all the brilliant ideas at every turn while inundating us with all the really cheesy crappy ones. See, we wish for brilliance some wish for cheese, all wishful thinking, but for yours I'll start a letter writing campaign. Better? :) Do you want a lollipop? :D A juicebox? :D I didn't mean to launch a personal attack against you but it is what I do. ;) :lol:

12. d2400

d2400 Hit and Run

Here in Canada we get CSI NY reruns on the History Channel. I just recently watched (again) "All Access"(the episode where Stella is attacked by her boyfriend). Now I know why I don't like Lindsay. That episode pushed me over the edge. Hey, Anna...Days of Our Lives called, they want their soap opera "over act and glare as much as possible" back.........I don't know who is responsible for her doing that, if the director is telling her to act the way she does or if that is just HER but whoever it is....STOP IT.

13. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^ :lol: :lol: :lol: YES!!!!!

"All Access" was the episode that once and for all convinced me that Anna couldn't act. She was horrid in that episode, from the awkward way she put her hand on Danny's shoulder to the laughable yelling at the suspect and storming out scene. That's around the time they started calling on her to do dramatic scenes...and around the time that it became wretchedly clear that she was incapable of doing so.

14. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

^ I don't know if I've ever bothered to post in this thread, though I do enjoy reading it. I've got to add my two cents to this -- "All Access" was a painful, painful example of how God awful and horrendous Anna's acting is. I utilized the greatness that is TiVo to rewind the interrogation scene and watch it again because my laughter proved distracting during the first viewing. On a second viewing, I laughed harder. WTF was that? It ranks up there with her reaction to a snake bite that conveyed all the fear and pain of a paper cut.

As for the director possibly misguiding her, no. I'm sure others from this board who have had the pleasure of watching CSI:NY scenes being shot can back this up as well, but I've been on the set and the actors are professionals who are given wide leeway in their interpretations of their characters. The little nuances that make or break a character are what the actor brings to the table. Any fault lies with Anna, not the director. A director is generally concerned with the bigger picture -- scene blocking, angles, how the shot looks, etc.

15. d2400

d2400 Hit and Run

Whew, I'm glad it's not just me then. Because while I was watching "All Access" I thought is Anna's acting P---ing me off because I am PMSing or is she really that bad?. I'm going to blame it all on her now. :)
    I never really was harsh on Anna before but now there is no denying it. I may offend but she just doesn't have it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.