Gil <3 Cath #22: PureJoy - What Would He Do Without Her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gil <3 Cath #22: PureJoy - What Would He Do W/O H

Now that the heart (Cath) has been separated from the soul (Gil), we had to deal with a heartless soul at season's end, and come September 21, this:

The restless dead ... "A la a strange episode of the X-Files, 'Toe Tags' follows the deaths of five people after they've been sliced and diced in autopsy. Donna, Rebecca McGill (a former supermodel married to a geek), Jack Snook (a Marine fresh home from Iraq), and Lou Beltran and Ray Gaynor (Lou a potential divorcee and Ray an amputee who are both found dead in Lou's garage). They each come to life in the morgue and share their experiences with one another, with a burning question in mind: How did they die?"
Doesn't it all make sense now?

As for who will be working which case,

Catherine and Brass tackle Donna's case, while Warrick and Sofia take on Rebbeca's, Nick and Greg take Jack's case, and Grissom & Sara deal with both Lou and Ray. ... More information has come in that Catherine will have a smaller role in this episode, and Grissom will have a little scene at the end where he lectures some Forensic Science students.

And there's one of their first problems. FOUR different cases? Sure, they're all mixed together by the whole "waking up in the morgue" thing (seriously... I LOVE "The X-Files", but... seriously? On "CSI"?), but... FOUR different cases? No wonder we don't get a feel for the group anymore - they're never together! Not surprised that Cath will have a smaller role, though, considering how much she seems to be in the opening eps, so I suppose I'm okay with that, but still... FOUR cases? *shakes head*

And I hope we'll get some spoilers with Gil and Catherine working a case together soon. As in a WHOLE case. Not as in, "Oh, let's have them together in the opening sequence only to split them up on different cases five minutes later. 'Cause that's just lame. And I miss the days when they were actually allowed to work a case together, merging those brilliant minds, working as two halves of a whole. Master and Grasshopper. Yin and yang. Heart and soul.

Don't forget Rambo and Mendhelson :rolleyes:

I'm not really sure we'll be able to see them working together on a whole case if we listen to CM, it's over now !Obviously, she wanna break their chemistry and try to replace it by Sara/Gil stuff ! Too bad because Cath and Grissom have the best chemistry ever ...

^^bobo remember? they said we can't mention that pair-who-must-not-be-named or we're gonna be slapped again.
And Toe Tags is written by a newbie writer (he's from the show Buffy right?) so no wonder we will have those kinds of cases. I think he's still in his adjustment mode and he doesn't know the fact that the CSIs works best when they're together.. Specially if Gil+Cath are together. hehe.

Hottie_Cath said:
I think he's still in his adjustment mode and he doesn't know the fact that the CSIs works best when they're together.. Specially if Gil+Cath are together. hehe.
But is their Executive Story Editor (Miami has one, does LV?) doing anything about this newbie's ignorance? Or the showrunner herself?

I'm not curious about the episode. It promises no GC moment, as far as the spoilers go. And that already weakens the show because really, their best eps had Gil and Catherine working together, alone or with the rest of the team. Especially when the writing was weak, the GC dynamics lifted the show from the depths to which it would otherwise have sunk. But when they separated Catherine from Gil, the bad writing became painfully obvious. S6 offered us too many examples of this.

By the way, weren't we reviewing GC moments in S6? Are we still at Shooting Stars or are we moving on?

^^ OOOPS ! sorry . Hard to remember all the rules ...

Since you mention a newbie writer from Buffy ... I'm not really sure it's a good idea . CSI isn't a Sci-fi show . About C/G scenes, well, wait and see :rolleyes: but they don't seem to take the good way !

omg are we done with Shooting Stars? It's the ep that made me GC! Anyways, just wanna point out how I love the desert walk they had and how they talked about going to New York. It was also cute how Gil just wanted to go into the cave and Cath held back, then reached for her gun as if to protect him...

Anyways...

I think that being a newbie writer is not a good excuse to get the writing haywire and OOC. How hard it is to watch the eps? CSI is a big show, it would be a shame if they would let too much inconsistency ruin the show. Oh wait, haven't they done that already. lmao.

Btw, welcome back csibutterfly! Also this is kinda late but welcome to Ernesztina. Glad to have another gc fan with us. :D

Well of course we're not gonna get GC working together. Now that CM has had it her way we may not see them together a lot anymore. Which really sucks because Cath & Gil are what makes CSI CSI you know? Having them separated is like peanut butter without jelly, them being separated is unimaginable. GC is the same way, no matter what TMTB do there is no way you can separate what is destined to be.

Thanks cofi shot, I'm glad to be back I missed you guys :)

csibutterfly05 said:
Well of course we're not gonna get GC working together. Now that CM has had it her way we may not see them together a lot anymore. Which really sucks because Cath & Gil are what makes CSI CSI you know?
ITA, Christine. C/G, romantic or not, had always been a big part of the reason why the most viewers kept watching CSI. As I said before, it's a very essential part to the show. Even people who don't see a romantic relationship liked the dynamic between them as good friends and partners. The show might survive without C/G if the writing is really good, which is rare since season 5. And I agree with ren on what she said elsewhere, that at the moment, because there is no C/G to cover it, the bad writing becomes painfully obvious. Seriously, I have no idea how the show is going to go on if there is no interaction between the two leads.

I think there's a possibility for Toe Tags to be a good episode, but CSI just isn't for this kind of stuff. It's good that TPTB are trying to make changes, but there are some bases that they just need to keep. In CSI's case, one of those is definitely the science. I believe the new writer could write good scripts. He used to write for Buffy after all. However, CSI is just not for the "ghost whisperer" kind of thing.

BTW, if we're done with Shooting Stars, let's move to Gum Drops. This is one of the very few episodes without C/G that I really like. Please feel free to let us know what you think about this episode, or, if you don't have anything to say, just continue with Secrets and Flies. :)

I remember a very good epi with peanut butter ;) and you're right, csibutterfly , Grissom and Cath are inseparable , no matter what they wanna do to our fav couple ! the ying and the yang /the peanut butter and the jelly :D

(BTW, do you really eat peanut butter with jelly ?) :eek:

Hi csibutterfly *waves* We've never met before, I was lurking when you delurked and I delurked when you went back to lurking mode :lol:

Wow, you guys are moving fast, not that I'm complaining ;)

I don't think CM has a say in who's presenting for the Emmys, she also doesn't have control over how actors interact off screen. Natural chemistry means something that can't be stopped, if you try it'll be going against nature, it's just unfortunate that it's happening on screen :rolleyes:

I agree with ww on this:
Four cases are abit too much to handle especially for a new writer who's still new to CSI. The team is split again and if you look at the pairings TMTB are really stating their stand. But to think about it, if they didn't bother to end the previous season with the team, they won't bother to start a new season with the team either. :rolleyes:
I am hoping that the epi doesn't turn out to be as absurd as the spoilers sound, but if CSI really goes down that way then it's not long before they kiss goodbye to the case-rooted (sounds weird) fans

bobo said:
(BTW, do you really eat peanut butter with jelly ?) :eek:
Does that mean you never have?!! :eek: That's a sacrilege ;) Peanut butter without jelly is like... yin without yang, heart without soul, Cath without Gil, and CSI with CM.

Gumdrops -

You know, I caught part of this the other night. It's an episode I don't think I had re-watched since it originally aired. I thought it was fun and interesting until about halfway through. Then I seemed to lose interest at about the point where they finished collecting evidence at the house and started doing other things.

The scene that really stuck in my brain is the scene where Cath is in the lab processing the blood evidence. The over-the-shoulder camera angle just made me smile through the whole scene. It somehow struck me funny that the cameraman was more interested in the boys and not what she was actually saying. (OK, so maybe it was just what my brain was focused on the whole time - wondering why they would use that camera angle for any other purpose than in that context)

Greg's *cough*yokoono*cough* comment was so cute. I'd have to say that was probably my second-favorite scene - the "kids" eating at the picnic table (can't upstage Cath & the boys yet as my favorite).
NICK: DNA confirmed to everyone but Cassie.
SARA: Interesting.
NICK: Mm-hmm.
WARRICK: Mark knew the pot was there because of Jeremy. Come on, I'm sure Jeremy wasn't voted the most popular boy in school. He's done everyone's term paper. He's a nerd.
GREG: Yeah, so how does that end up a quadruple murder?
SARA: One of them was stupid enough to bring a gun.
WARRICK: I was talking to Tina the other night. She said something to make me think.
GREG: (coughs) Yoko Ono. (coughs)
WARRICK: Tina's dad is a doctor of anthropology, so, one day, when she was a little girl, she asked her dad where on her body her anthropology was. You know, he's a doctor. Mark's dad's a lawyer.... Maybe Mark was thinking habeas corpus -- "body of the crime"?
SARA: "Body of the crime" is content of the case, not an actual body.
WARRICK: Yeah, but a kid could easily misinterpret. Maybe he's thinking, "no body, no crime, no crime, no punishment."
SARA: Does Yoko Ono want a job?
SHERIFF DENNIS BRACKETT: Morning.
(the gang): Morning.
SARA: Hello.
SHERIFF DENNIS BRACKETT: My wife made muffins.
SARA: Thank you.
SHERIFF DENNIS BRACKETT: You're welcome. We got a lead on the ATM. The account belongs to Jim Locke. He's got a son named Peter, the same age as Mark. We pulled some surveillance footage. It's a little grainy, can't see much.
WARRICK: I'll give it over to Archie and see if he can clean it up. Thanks.
SHERIFF DENNIS BRACKETT: All right. I'll be in the car waiting when you guys are ready.
NICK: All right, thank you.
GREG: You feeling a little homesick there?
WARRICK: You want to draw straws?
GREG: No.
WARRICK: Call me if you need me.
NICK: All right.

I believe this is the almost-perfect scene that we've been missing since the early seasons. The only thing that would have made it perfect would have been if Gil & Cath had been sitting at the table and both quietly smirking in amusement at the exchange between "the kids". That would be my version of the "perfect CSI scene" - kind of similar to the final scene in Season 1 Strip Strangler

Continuing with that scene - a wonderful Nick/Sara moment:
SARA: All right, let's head over to Locke's house, and see what we can find. (turns to Nick) You coming?
NICK: No ... no, you go ahead, I'll catch up.

SARA: You think she's alive.
NICK: You don't? (Sara shakes her head.) None of her blood was found at the house.
SARA: I think she was drugged, and ... she was lucky if all they did after that was kill her.
NICK: I don't think she was drugged. She's a smart little girl. She hid that cough medicine in her shoe; that's like hiding green beans in your napkin, you know?
SARA: I hope you're right. But everything in our experience tells us they're dead, all four of them.
NICK: Doesn't mean we just give up.
SARA: No one's giving up. It's just that ... you're acting like you're going to rescue a person, not recover a body. And on this job ... that's just not usually the case.
NICK: I was rescued.
SARA: It was not your day to die. When it's your day, it's your day, you know?
NICK: I don't think it was Cassie's day.

Another scene that just pulls at your heart strings. It's the wonderful side of Sara that you just don't see very often. Many times "the kids" are bantering back and forth in a fun-loving way, and it's always cute, but we rarely see any of "the kids" in a heart-to-heart talk with one another. Normally these kinds of scenes are left to Cath & Gil. It's also nice to see the differences in how they view things - Nick the eternal optimist. Sara the eternal pessimist.

No, I'm sorry Kaylyne ! I didn't taste peanut butter with jelly (peanut butter isn't a french habit) ! "CSI with CM" :lol: good one ! I'd prefer "without" ...
Well, Gumdrops ! an epi I could easily forget . No Gil,so, no C/G and just a little Cath, even if that scene is cool . The case isns't very interesting either but great scenes with Nick .

kaylyne said:
Does that mean you never have?!! :eek: That's a sacrilege ;) Peanut butter without jelly is like... yin without yang, heart without sould, Cath without Gil, and CSI with CM.
I've never had it too, always been wanting to try it but I have no idea what it's like, I mean do you just put the jelly on top or something? :confused:

oops, better stop before I go way off topic

I really hope we get more "family" scenes in the show, CSI is an ensemble show and team chemistry is what it's all about. Plus it's always a pleasure to see mom and dad watching over their kids with the "proud parent" look, it just warms the heart :)

I suppose they put the peanut butter on bread or something and the jelly on top :lol: god, american food :rolleyes: *just kidding*

You're right about the family scenes, Rebec ; and I'd love to see them working together like in Grave Danger, too ! we always have great scenes or episodes when they're together .
Plus, that means C/G scenes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back