You know you're (insert nationality here) when...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Roka4csi, Oct 5, 2006.

1. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

oh believe me there are a lot of us but we're marginalised by the establishment:scream::scream:

i refuse to sing the national anthem, it makes me sick - i always sing this instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Save_the_Queen_(Sex_Pistols_song)

2. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

:lol: It sounded like an anthem too until I realized it's being sarcastic.

I seriously thought people loved the royals in England, makes me feel stupid considering I studied political science for 3 years.

3. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i think a lot of people do but (and this may just be my own opinion) it tends to be people who just swallow very propagandist headlines (the tabloid press is almost entirely rabidly monarchist) without really looking in any detail at facts, and who somehow still think having an unelected head of state who creams millions off the state budget every year is prestigious, because they attract tourists. if you look at the figures, the unoccupied royal palaces attract many more tourists than the ones with relics still living in them! they're just a pointless waste of money and the day we abolish them will be the best day in this country's history. vive la revolution!

4. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

But if you look at the bright side, you do have free healthcare. Sometimes elected officials are as much dictators as those we did not choose. Refer to Lebanon and the US governments for example.

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

definitely the us! best democracy in the world?! :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

the royals have very little power which i suppose is something but in a way it makes it worse - if they have no power, why keep them? either have them and use them or don't and get rid of them properly. off with their heads! (ok, i doubt even i'm that extreme).

the free healthcare is on its way out as well - the so called "labour" government we have at the moment have well and truly shafted it. labour, my arse. they're thatcherites in red jackets! the true labour folk would be turning in their graves (some aren't even dead yet and they're already spinning)

[/rant]

6. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

:lol: You see the bottom line is, no one is nor will ever be happy with their governments. Elected or not, they tend to suck the blood right out of you. I love Lebanon, but the stupidity of the government has made the people idiots. That's more than I can say about the US, since I got here I realize I'm better off not speaking politics with anyone, because they're all so blinded by the junk they see on tv. If you live in the country, read between the lines, fool.

I wonder if the royals were no longer there, would whoever replaced them be any better?

7. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

you know your welsh when everybody assumes you like leeks

I hate them:lol:

8. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

so true - even in our so called amazing western democracies it's all propaganda left right and centre. at least dictators make it obvious they're trying to manipulate everyone! here in the uk things aren't so bad i guess - we're relatively free, our government are vaguely accountable and we have that healthcare, but they're trying to turn us all into terrorists, they're really clamping down on basic civil liberties etc and it makes me so angry!

probably not but they would be accountable, and we'd be able to vote them out if we wanted. much as i hate our current government i do still have a vote against them. i was so glad when i got old enough to vote against thatcher:D

i love them! i lived in wales for a bit and lived on fried leek sandwiches - mmmm.

9. chazzawazza

chazzawazza Witness

I have a few welsh family members and I have to admit I assumed that about them for a long time lol. Mind you I get the same being from Yorkshire. Everyone assumes I like tea and yorkshire puddings, which I do but im pretty sure its not just because im from here :lol:

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

but tea and yorkshire pudding (not necessarily together!) are the foods of the gods! i swear i could actually live on yorkshire pudding. especially the one my mate in sheffield's mum makes. actually, i would like to try living on yorkshire pudding with dripping on toast. yummy :D

11. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

lol i like tea but i think that is juast my english side and love yorkshire puddings:p wouldnt mind if i did like leeks but was having dinner the other day and my friend goes arent you going to eat your leeks and i said no i dont like them and she gasps and goes BUT YOUR WELSH :guffaw:although in my defence im only half:p

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ that would bother me too. i know lots of welsh people who don't like leeks. i don't know any yorkshirefolk that don't like yorkshire pud, but then you'd have to be mad to not like yorks pud.

i like earl grey tea which makes me horribly poncey but at least i still contaminate with milk which most other nations find revolting. there, you know you're british when you stick loads of milk in your tea :D

13. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Oh good ol' yorkshire pudding... I remember that, eating at one weddings... poked it with fork suspiciously until the english ones said it's really really really edible :p

14. tootes

tootes Rookie

Mmmm.. Yorkshire puddings haven't had any since christmas :(
    Wierd question coming up,
    Do you...
    A. eat yorkshire puddings with the actual meal?
    B. eat them for "pudding"?
    :lol:

Im an *eat them with the meal* girl myself, but they are good with toffee ice-cream. :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  15. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i wish we had them at xmas - my family are southern so it'll never happen. they think yorks pud only goes with one meal :( actually screw xmas (oh god, i wish!) i'd just like to eat them as often as possible :D

i am an eat it with the meal person - just like i am an oatmeal person ;) - i like yp with lots of gravy - it has to be crunchy on the edges but the base has to be really soggy.

having said that i love stuff like eclairs and profiteroles which are essentially the same thing (yorkshire pud mix and choux pastry mix are quite similar, although obviously i doubt i'd put beef dripping/lard/goose fat in my choux mix!) so i do like them with chocolate & cream as well :D