You know you're (insert nationality here) when...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Roka4csi, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

I only eat them with Sunday Dinner, but years ago we used to put sugar on them and have as a dessert.

You know you are British when you expect to queue for everything.

2. tootes

tootes Rookie

:lol:

No one else seems to understand that nice orderly queues are a good thing, and that we get very protective over our space in the line. :p

3. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

Quite right!
    My Mum goes off it if people dont stick to their place in the bus queue!

4. tootes

tootes Rookie

Ahh, the embarrasment of being near your family when they are screaming at someone for standing in a queue wrong.. This happens alot on holiday :shifty: Queues are pretty simple though...

:lol:

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

yeah queuing really is a very british thing - just look at the full monty, even when they're dancing they're queuing :lol: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZuCqT2qbFk

here in london no one really queues for buses anymore, you just kinda stand around and hope for the best, but there's definitely still an element of recognising who was already there when you got there and letting them on first when the bus arrives. if anyone tries to get on that was there later than you they really should get yelled at (and in my case they often do...)

6. tootes

tootes Rookie

^ *fit of giggles over the full monty / queueing idea*

7. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

actually that was a very british film all round. i loved the film about sheffield at the start. i love sheffield so i enjoyed it. robert carlyle and tom wilkinson are two of my favourite actors too.

i know - you know you're british when you think notting hill and 4 weddings are crap because they're too damn american. and exactly what in the hell did they do to notting hill?! it is nothing like that! they were so wrong to do what they did!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  8. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

^ I love Full Monty. So funny.

I actually like 4 weddings and Notting Hill! (sad romantic here) Never been to NH so wouldn't know what its supposed to look like.
    You know you are British when you do afternoon tea. (although im weird in that I dont actually like tea- I know that is terrible!)

9. Eve

Eve Pathologist

you know you are Polish when you complain about everything and doing nothing to make it better (cos there is a chance you will be successful and there will be no reason to complain any more!)

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ i think you know you're polish when you pickle everything! i love polish food :D there are a few good polish cafes near me, lots of poles live around here - i'm very grateful to the eu for that :lol:

yeah it doesn't help that i hate romantic stuff, it just makes me feel a bit sick!

what they did to notting hill was ethnically cleanse it. nh has a huge afro-caribbean population (something even eastenders managed to get right with one of their recent stories!) but i believe there is one solitary black person in the entire film.

mmmmafternoon tea rules. how the hell can you not like tea?! i have a friend that doesn't and it's bizarre, tea is so warm and soothing and lovely. afternoon tea should ideally consist of a mug of earl grey (milky of course!) with a scone with strawberry jam and clotted cream. yumyum.

on that note you definitely know you're british when you can argue about the pronunciation of 'scone' for years and still not know which is correct.

11. Eve

Eve Pathologist

glad to hear it :) and you are right about that pickling everything - people from another countries are often very surprised that we actually eat things that they treat as rotten :D like sour milk - we let the milk gone bad and drink it... that idea itself make some people feel nauseas, not to mention trying to drink it :p

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

like kefir right? i think that's what they call it in russia anyway, i can't remember about poland. i visited krakow once, i *love* that city, it's one of my favourites, and the food was amazing. i only had 4 days though, i was going by train to vladivostok (from london) and it was just a stopover. god, polish is a difficult language! russian i can handle but polish was baffling!

i guess you wonder if you're really british at all when you actually try to learn a bit of the language when you go abroad. and when people who think that shouting slowly in english is somehow more comprehensible to foreigners really really bother you. especially when those people who make no effort to integrate with foreign communities, even on holiday, start banging on all this crap about how immigrants to britain should be forced to integrate. i hate double standards! [/rant]

13. Eve

Eve Pathologist

14. tootes

tootes Rookie

You know your Brittish when its about 5 degrese outside and raining but there are still people swimming in the sea. You deffinately know your Brittish when joining them in the sea sounds like a perfectly reasonably idea. So you get your bikini on and head for the beach because you are on holiday and you will enjoy your self no matter what - and thats an order!!:lol:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  15. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i read that as "get your bikini on your head" :lol:

that sounds like something monty python would do...:lol: