You know you're (insert nationality here) when...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Roka4csi, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

That is a fun thing to try to explain to Americans. My friend and I tried explaining them to a cashier at a Target when we went to New York. She thought we were nuts.

Behold, the bag of milk:

[​IMG]

And the milk is inside in three more clear, plastic bags that you cut the corner off of :)

Anyway, you know you're Canadian when

-You perk up everytime you hear the Hockey Night In Canada theme song
    -You pity anyone who's never tried a beaver tail or poutine
    -You always brag about famous people being Canadian (I am very guilty of this one)

2. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

you do have an accent! not just to us but locally too - NYC accent is massively different from other places nearby, even upstate is different from city etc.

i remember when i first went to the states i got told i was irish, scottish, welsh and australian when i'm actually english:guffaw: dialect/accent is one of my "things" (linguistics student/social historian in the area!) - there are so many variations over such tiny stretches of land. england/britain probably has one of the richest variations in the world, even tho we're a tiny country, because of our crazy immigrant history. of course we're closely followed by the USA which has a similar history of immigration and also has huge variation over relatively small areas. i love that kind of stuff :)

i think you know you're british when you can think of about 40 slang words for rain. you don't want to repeat yourself too often ;)

3. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

Axelsonfire that's the coolest thing I've EVER seen. Milk bags :O I want to move to Canada just for that.

Lisasimpson but YOU have the accent! I can't believe anyone could think we have an accent, it's so average. Yours is so... classy :drool:. Well, I should just give up on this, cause I keep fighting about it :lol:

You know you're Lebanese when you have thyme and labni (a thick yogurt) for breakfast every morning, then have it as a snack in between meals, and for dinner.

4. Miyukiseta

Miyukiseta Rookie

I'm Canadian and what in the world is the CBC jingle?:lol:...Seriously, I really don't know.:confused:

Anyway...

You know you're Chinese when all you remember of your childhood was your parents constantly yelling and spazzing at you.

^^So me. My parents were really traditional and were really strict. My Chinese friends' parents were all like that. You get used to it though.:)

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i will have to assume you haven't heard estuary english which is about as classy as as a drain. my poor parents who speak like the queen are positively ashamed that i speak in what is basically normal english. really, *everyone* has an accent, whether they notice it or not - that's why i like it, there are so many perspectives :)

you know you're british when you look out the window in june/july/august, see grey clouds and drizzle and think "british summer has arrived!"

6. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

It's hard for me to demonstrate it on a forum :lol: But it's what you hear everytime they show the CBC logo for three seconds during commercials.

You know you're Canadian when:

- You recognize the CTV sound.
    - You understand the jokes from Corner Gas
    - You understand this sentence "Can you pass the serviette because I just spilled my poutine on the chesterfield?"
    - You know that the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) don't always look like that
    - You buy Girl Guide cookies, not Girl Scout cookies
    - You have a postal code, not a zip code

7. Half

Half CSI Level Two

You know you're American when you got to the Keith Urban/Taylor Swift World Tour concert and think "Oh, so they go to Canada too?"

It's not a nationality, but for me it fits:

You know you're from South Jersey when...

...You don't want to be associated with North Jersey.
    ...You sigh when people say "but you don't have a New York accent".
    ...You use the term "jimmies".
    ...You don't want to be in South Jersey. :)lol:)

8. Hadapurpura

Hadapurpura Witness

You know you're colombian when:

- You're passport gains you instant street cred in a foreign country. If you're a girl: all the other girls in that country think you're there to steal their boyfriends and you don't know why because you're a prude.
    - You dunk cheese in your coffee or chocolate.
    - If you're a girl, you're good looking. No matter how dorky, nerdy, etc... you are.
    - You try to tie a fridge to a bike and transport it... and succeed.
    - The decimal point is a comma, unless you are using US produced software. You separate thousands with a dot, and millions with an apostrophe.
    - You can get a "semi-free" product.
    - You consider a billion is a million times a million.
    - You learned to dance salsa before you learned to walk.
    - In a foreign country, everybody asks you if you're a drug dealer. Naturally, you've never even seen the stuff but you don't say anything because it gains you "respect" (i.e., fear).
    - A pound is exactly half a kilo.
    - Lunch is the biggest meal of the day.
    - You don't consider McDonalds to be the cheapest place to buy food.
    - You don't leave messages at the beep. Machines are not meant to be talked to.
    - You don't know about welfare and unemployment payments.
    - If you have homework or a deadline of some sort, you will say at the last minute "so, it was due TODAY?"
    - Showing up at someone's place is not uncommon nor considered rude.
    - You're adressed as "Dr." just because you have a college (or high school) degree, or money, or because you're in formal wear.
    - You want to live in a first world country (that's SOOO true!). If you succeed, the first thing you do is locate all the colombian stores wherever you are.
    - Family parties go until 5 a.m.
    - Any reason is a good reason to party.
    - You don't care about your politicians' sex life. Really.
    - You consider ants to be food (Hi Grissom! :) ), and aphrodisiac at that.
    - You believe in personal freedom in an individualistic way. You don't see any connection between this and politics.
    - "Winter" is when it rains and "summer" is when it doesn't.
    - Neonazis aren't considered offensive at all. Kinda cute if you like them, kinda laughable if you don't, but you don't take them seriously either way.
    - You get mad when someone calls you "mexican".
    - You get mad when "Colombia" is misspelled as "Columbia".
    - You don't speak english, but you "understand" it.
    - You make the sign of the cross everytime you pass by a catholic church.

There's more, but for now, that's it.

9. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love when people randomly "hi" someone in the middle of a sentence.

You know you're Lebanese when you don't know it's morning until you smell the Arabic coffee boiling on the stove (even if you don't drink coffee, coffe = morning)

You know you're Lebanese when you make fun of every other Arab's accent, but when they make fun of yours you call them anti-democratic and closeminded.

10. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

Thank you :) I've now thought of another one:

You know you're Canadian when you use the term "Timmies" to refer to your favourite coffee/doughnut shop.

11. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Okay - that's just insane. How much they put stuff to that milk so it stays fresh? :lol::lol:

Even thos american gigantic bottles make me nervous

Me likes our milk system
    http://www2.edu.fi/kenguru/i/medialukutaito_kuva06.jpg

12. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

You know you're Hungarian when foreigners say "oh, everything's so cheap in Hungary!" and I'm like yeah, for you guys, cuz you earn so much more than we do :D

13. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

You know you're Northern Irish when you're in the States or Canada, and everyone goes "Oh my word, you're Irish..." When you speak... You then have to explain to them, that actually you're from Northern Ireland, which is actually a seperate country...

You know you're Northern Irish, when you have to explain to people that Northern Ireland is a country in it's own right.

You knwo you're Northern Irish, when people ask you if it's safe to leave your house, and not have to worry about being shot... You then find yourself explaning, yes, it's safe, the troubles ended over 25 years ago...

14. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ i'm not from northern ireland but i have friends there and they've all said the same. although i think one of them lived on shankill road for a while so i'm not sure it was always so!

you know you're english when you spend 90% of your day cursing the royal bloody mail. and actually just about anything else royal!

15. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

:lol: You're the first British person I've come across who hates anything royal :lol: