Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs.DelkoWolfe

Mrs.DelkoWolfe Lab Technician

I disagree there are always choices. Why did he have to tell her about his fake birth certificate? It's not her buisness it's his he didn't need to tell her about that. She dosen't have to know what he is feeling. She can be curious about it and ask and she may want to know but to say she has a right to know and has to know is a bit of a stretch to me.

They are sharing not parts but part of each other's lives but for the most part their lives, their hopes, dreams, ambitions, decisions, thoughts, and choices are their own. The rest of it is just usless BS brain farts on the side of TPTB.

Yes this stuff his a huge part of his life and he has every right to keep Calliegh out of the loop. It's not her business not her issue! Sure she wants to help but it is soley Eric that needs to figure this out. He has to find himself on his own that is a personal thing that she should stay out of because by butting into it will only make it worse. Eric has to find out who he is and who he wants to be by himself because it will shape the rest of HIS life. I'm not saying he should be childish and yell at her but he also doesn't have to talk to her about it either. He has every right to keep this to himself. He doesn't have to share his feeling on this with her or anybody else for that matter. How is Eric supposed to find himself and who he is and who he wants to be if he has a lot of outside influences? With other influences he'll probably become even worse then the trained puppy he has become now. It's njust like if Eric wants to take a trp by himself to Hawaii for whatever reason, he dosen't have to tell Calliegh why and she dosen't have to go with him and she should trust him enought to be like "whatever he wants to go to Hawaii ok so what" and just let it blow over with out throwing a fit. Eric should (like any grown person) be able to get up go to Hawaii spend a good week drinking mojito's on the beach and then come back! Apparently there isn't that much trust on the part of Calliegh.

I guess what I'm not understaning is how it's ok for Calliegh to go and do her own thing, be closed off with her feelings and have her own personal life but it's not ok for Eric? To me that is a bunch of crap and unfair to Eric. To me it only inhances the fact that Calliegh has to be in controll or she flips a shit.

I guess that we'll always see this differently but I highly doubt Natalia was a distraction of any sort for Eric especailly when it came to Marisol. If Eric is willing to almost get fired for Marisol I'm sure he'd break a date with Natalia with no notice for Marisol. Family comes first with Eric, it's engrained in the character. I also think the way it was played was well done Natalia had just come out of a bad and potentially deadly marriage so it's understandable that she didn't want to be exclusive. Yes they both messed up but they loeved each other and still did the following season. Eric didn't treat Natalia like she was a play toy espcially since he was determined to protect her from Nck the next season. The fealings that these to had and still have for each other don't die easily even with the mole-reveal sistuation the two were still headed down the long-term romance bath but they were just conviently inturrupted by the bullet in Eric's brain and the comatose induced e/c relationship. Eric/Natalia was about more than physical attraction and great sex because it is implied that they actually did have conversatons with each other and talk about their feeling dreams ect.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

:lol: Now I have the image of Ryan and Frank going somewhere together to meet women and being each other's wingman. :guffaw:

3. C.H.E.A.R.

C.H.E.A.R. Pathologist

For my other post, I just wanted to point out a possible reason for why Eric'd choose Calleigh over everyone else...come to think of it, I actually wanna figure out why he did it. Well, kinda obvious, love right? But anyway that's just my opinion.

No offense but, now I know the people to come to if I wanna quarrel about something, lol. You guys certainly have alot of negative energy, but I have to remind myself: 'what if it was HC, the couple I hate, on the show, then I'd be on my bad side' So carry on. This along with EC lovers keeps the suspence in the air, cause we don't know if they're gonna stay together or not.

I know some that'd be perfect for this thread: my mother. She's opposite me in my views of the show, she doesn't like EC but likes EDEN, not that I hate the ship... but if she were on here I'd put her in this thread.

4. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

WOW, this is really nice :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I have seen lots of E/C people talking on this thread and even if mostly don't agree with them, I wouldn't dare to tell them they have a lot of negative anergy ;)

Back on topic, GNRF what a great imagination you have. I soooo would organizes something for them, if only I were part of TPTB! :)

Well when you are a very young person and you even look younger, but you have the wisedome of more mature people....well....all the better! :D

Seriously, I sooooooo enjoy discussing on topics like this with people who, even if don't agree with most of my idea, at least make sense and are very very respectful too!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  5. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

I see your point, but we don't really see what's going on outside of work. Maybe Calleigh is very open with Eric, and has talked to him about some pretty personal stuff. It's just that she doesn't talk about it at work because problems with her family aren't also related to a criminal investigation at the lab. ;)

Oops, I didn't mean to imply that Natalia was taking any time away from Marisol. I meant that I saw his perspective on his relationship with Natalia as something like "When I actually have free time, it's nice to just be with this chick, and not have to think about the tough stuff for a while." I completely agree that Marisol always came first for Eric, and that he would have no qualms about breaking a date with her if Marisol needed him. :)

I don't think it was bad that they weren't exclusive. I agree, it was completely understandable on Natalia's part. I was just of the opinion that Eric didn't want to be exclusive not just out of respect for her needs, but because he wasn't extremely serious about the relationship at that time.

I don't think Eric treated Natalia as a toy. Obviously, Eric is very protective of women. I just happen to believe that while he respected and protected her, he didn't think of their romantic relationship as particularly serious.

I saw it differently. The only non-work-related "conversations" the two of them had related to sex and alcohol. Reminds me of high school :lol:. In fact, that very first conversation they had when he gave her back "her" bracelet, Natalia said "Maybe next time we should actually watch the movie..." followed by *wink*wink*grin*grin*teehehe-we-totally-did-nothing-but-make-out-last-night-look*. Of course, we didn't see everything that happened, so it's possible that in their relationship they did something other than act like horny teenagers. :p

Their relationship struck me as pretty superficial. Yes, they obviously got together more than once, but every time they had a romantic interaction at work, it was always a comment about something physical that had occurred, or a seductive grin, etc. It's possible that they had actual conversations when they were outside of work, but I personally feel that if their relationship was about more than sex, they would've been able to tone it down a few notches and would've also made references to things they did together that weren't physically intimate.

I'm also confused as to how they were "moving back towards a romantic relationship" in Season 5. Sure, there was that flirty scene in "Going Under," but then they kind of dropped the whole thing for good. I don't remember any scenes after that episode that indicated that their friendship was or would be more than platonic. But feel free to point them out if I missed them.

6. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Haha, true. And I suppose I'll appreciate looking younger than I am when I'm older. ;)

QUOTE=Florry86;959344]Seriously, I sooooooo enjoy discussing on topics like this with people who, even if don't agree with most of my idea, at least make sense and are very very respectful too![/QUOTE]

I do too. I see no point in being rude about anything- that's what middle school was for :lol: I think people tend to be their meanest between ages 11-14. Ugh, I don't even want to remember my life at those ages. I'm young and still have a lot to learn, but at least I'm past the maturity level during puberty. ;)

7. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Sorry, but would it have been at all realistic for them to act any different? Eric is/was a very sexual guy, it would've been completely out of character had he up & that quickly made the first encounter out to be "serious". It doesn't happen that quickly for men who usually have a "playboy" lifestyle. It takes time for guys like that - I know because I've known quite a few in my time. There's progression involved, & I personally did see that in Eric as things moved along with Natalia. No, I don't think that the relationship in itself was serious, but I do believe that he felt alot for her, & in a different & new way than how he'd ever felt about the girls in his past. Just as you say that e/c probably share more off screen, like Calleigh opening up to him, ect - the same can be said for Eric & Natalia, & the situations with Marisol (see 'Shock' & 'Driven' ) are probably the best examples. Calleigh didn't know who she was, but signs in those epis suggested that either Natalia had met Marisol, or Eric had talked alot about her to Natalia.

Now that I've said it, can we please move on. This thread was never intended to start debates between couples, & I have a very hard time avoiding debates about EDeN, I could go on debating for days on end, so it is probably best to stop the discussion of them now. It's fine to make comments here or there (thier interaction/chemistry), but the talk of thier relationship, how it was played out, what it meant, where it's going , ect, ect, really should go elsewhere, just for the sake of those who do & will continue to feel the need to debate... like me. :lol:

So, back to e/c & why we don't like them.....

I totally agree here. Whether or not Calleigh opens up to him "off screen" doesn't even really matter in this situation. She still comes off as a complete hypocrite, imo. I'm not sure how others took the quoted post, but I look at the part about closing off her feelings & having her own personal life as referring to when she went off with Jake. Calleigh's just looking more & more selfish as this relationship further drags on. She comes off as caring at first, but then it always loops back to what is best for her. She spent all that off screen time carrying on with Jake, regardless of Eric & what he thought/felt.
    She went on & lived her life never telling Eric what the situation was, went off with horse-dude riding horses & doing whatever, but then as soon as she nearly croaks, it's "ok, we're together now" & Eric suddenly is supposed to share his every damn move, even when it doesn't have a damn thing to do with her. No man could ever get away with that sort of behaviour, but Calleigh always get's some kind of excuse for acting the way she does-- it's disgusting.

8. -Lulu-

-Lulu- Victim

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum, but after I read a lot of posts here I want to put my 2 cents in as well. Regarding to why it was so difficult for Eric & Calleigh to finally come together here’s what I think.

IMHO it’s not a question of fault. From my point of view a lot of things Calleigh and Eric did were weird to me. But I think their problem was that they were too long just friends. It’s difficult to tell your best friend after long years of friendship that you’re in love with him/her when you even don’t know for sure whether the other person feels the same way. Plus, you have to work together day in & day out. I would be cautious too, because there’s too much at stake.

People do strange things when they’re insecure or frustrated. Eric leaving his file in Cal's batch and afterwards asking her if she read it. Cal's evasive answer and then end of conversation. Strange? Yeah! Cal's straight question to Eric in front of the elevator what he wants. In the middle of the lab surrounded by their coworkers! Eric not saying any word? Strange? Of course! Running to the horse guy even though she knew his intentions. She wasn’t interested in him, I guess she just needed the distraction. Stupid? Indeed! Both (E/C) avoided a real conversation about their situation and feelings.

Do I judge them? No, because I can see why they acted this way.

Finally, they got together and now there are other issues to deal with. So I hope they’ll work it out (and we can watch it, so we’ll get a glimpse at the stuff they’re struggling with).

BTW, sorry for my English. I’m still learning, but I think you’ll get my point.

9. belluvsmiami

belluvsmiami Prime Suspect

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree here. Whether or not Calleigh opens up to him "off screen" doesn't even really matter in this situation. She still comes off as a complete hypocrite, imo. I'm not sure how others took the quoted post, but I look at the part about closing off her feelings & having her own personal life as referring to when she went off with Jake. Calleigh's just looking more & more selfish as this relationship further drags on. She comes off as caring at first, but then it always loops back to what is best for her. She spent all that off screen time carrying on with Jake, regardless of Eric & what he thought/felt.
    She went on & lived her life never telling Eric what the situation was, went off with horse-dude riding horses & doing whatever, but then as soon as she nearly croaks, it's "ok, we're together now" & Eric suddenly is supposed to share his every damn move, even when it doesn't have a damn thing to do with her. No man could ever get away with that sort of behaviour, but Calleigh always get's some kind of excuse for acting the way she does-- it's disgusting.[/QUOTE]

Well as much as Iam 100% E/C shipper i have to agree with you here.

As much as calleigh likes to pretend she is so secretive about her relationships behind closed doors its pretty obvious she is hopeless at that reason why?
    1. Eric knew she was "secretly" dating Hagen using the old were CSI's werent meant to spot that crap
    2. Ryan who was still kinda new to the team even though hed been there for a bit, could see Peter Elliott had a thing for Calleigh and she had a thing for him even if i think it was Eric who said Peter is here to see Calleigh anyways
    3. Calleigh and Jake....now when he kissed her infront of the elevators (which still got me cos she refused to even let john touch her neck whilst she was in her range on her own in earlier seasons) did she really think aftr that , that no one would know they were together??? and to be stupid enough to come back after a short holiday and think Eric would all "oh congrats Calleigh hope your happy i wish you the best" (although i wish it were me)
    I still felt Eric shouldnt have had to apologise to her for telling Rick her and Jake were together im sure the word was out already or is Rick that stupid??
    Anyways back to my point the more I watch these two the more Ifeel the writers are digging them a grave, i know some might not agree even myself I hate saying it but of late....

I preferred it when they were chasing one another seemed more fun or is it that we held far too high expectatioons for them and the writers didnt deliver what we wanted??

For me too the kiss after he got out of immigration i know after 7 of years of friendship its still a bit odd to be making out with your friend but the kiss lacked direction not from the actors but the people running the show heck it seemed the kiss from jake seemed they were more hotter for each other then e/c

Anywho yes it is disgusting for calleigh to behave this way almost as if she has double standards one rule for her and one for the rest of them.
    Lets hope the new season they will clear things up with them and let them just be a "happy healthy normal honest realtonship" if that even exists anymore???

Ok im done....

10. ChaliQ

ChaliQ Victim

I could see it coming but couldn't see any possible way they could ease into this, so all of a sudden there it is. It doesn't work. Delco should have never come off the table with the bullet lodged in his head. That should have been his swan song i see no need for this character except to always try to prove he's better than everyone else. Second Calleigh would never date anyone she works with because she has much more going on than her co -workers. It was a mistake when she dated the cop who blew himself away because Calleigh wouldn't date him anymore. That's the way they do everything in this show an unbelievable story comes in out of nowhere; no buildup no suspense.

11. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Ok I haven't been posting in here for a while just because I wanted to read some good points I was sure you would come op with :thumbsup:

Well you couldn't have said it better. While the idea could have been good for some people (well I've never been too fond of this couple), the writers are handling this situation in such a bad way that I see more and more people getting annoyed with it even if they actually enjoy the couple in itself.

Agreed, though, quite frankly I can't see how writers can bring back the happiness between the two. OFC if they want to get Calleigh pregnant, there's a chance for writers to bring some joy on the show, though all I can see is more and more drama whenever it's time to make something with this couple :rolleyes:

Ditto. While some people may think it's a good thing to transform two best friends into love birds, I do think it's such a bad idea especially on a show like this. I for once have never felt they were going to get together right before Eric's bullet, but TPTB had the brilliant idea to transform such a hot/sexy stuff like Eric Delko was into a puppy dog always following owner and wearing fugly shirts. All of this came out of nowhere.
    What about Calleigh? A very smart and cheerful girl all of a sudden becomes a depressed woman who doesn't even know what colors are and is just too busy hiding her relationship with a man she never loved and cared about to even think about on the case she's working on :rolleyes:.

No way, this all came from FF land, not from serious writers :p

12. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

This is not a debate thread. If you want to debate I suggest talking that to Shipper Central, there is a thread there for just that sort of thing.

Also not negative, just expressing our opinions on why the shame of a "relationship" is annoying and taking away from then central focus of a crime show. It's very weird that when one does not agree with another suddenly the other party is being negative...there has been a lot of this being thrown around the board lately...perhaps it's time to check on the definition. ;)

Back to topic:

Honestly...Delko in trouble and Calleigh running to his side to save him...have we entered the soap opera land? Yes we have and it's annoying. This is really getting old and over used, nothing like recycled movie plots being used for tv; let's try something orginal.

I'd like Delko to just be gone he isn't serving any purpose at the moment, just arm candy for Calleigh which isn't doing her any good at all. He's foudn out his father is linked to the Russian mob and both could be killed in a heartbeat. I'd be sad if Calleigh died but Delko, IMHO, is expendable.

Friends becoming lovers is fine, but it depends on who is really is, this pair does not mesh well at all; more like oil and water come to think of it. There is something that is very off about this 'relationship; almost as if it for convince rather than actual feelings. Especially since Calleigh was overly willing to marry Delko so he wasn't deported, now that screams all the wrong reasons. I'm sure there were warning flags going off in her head but she ignored him because of his looks and new puppy dog disposition. This doesn't click well and is screaming that this might be a cover up for something bigger. Or it's just a horrible nightmare that someone else on the team is having. :p

I completely agree, this is one whacked out fanfiction....as I compare it to the epilogue of the 7th Harry Potter. Something what was best left in the head of the person who though this would be a wildy popular storyline idea and the excusition way lost in translation from head to paper to screen.

13. Mrs.DelkoWolfe

Mrs.DelkoWolfe Lab Technician

I agree here. Putting Delko and Calliegh together was a recipie for disaster.

Ok I agree on Delko as of now just being arms candy which isn't doing either character any good, but I disagree with which character is expendable. I think, if done right, TPTB can go a lot further wth Delko however I think they have played ob Calliegh to the maximum. Since Delko has gotten shot Calliegh has gotten more screentime and drama than anyone including SuperH, and at the end of every drama incident and near death experience there is always something abotu Calliegh falling in love or somethign romantic that pulls the show into the soap opera realm. I can't see where they can go with Calliegh at this point since I'm praying that they don't have the character get pregnant. I'm sorry to any Calliegh fans on this thread, I'm not trying to bash the character this is just my opinion.

I agree her though I'm curious as to what the "relationship" could be a cover up for. I do like the nightmare theory and just for fun lets make it Ryan's nightmare and then have him wake up one morning screaming and turning over and looking at Calliegh in bed next to him.

I agree whoever thought this couple would be nice should have left the thought in their head. If this did come from a fan fiction that's where it should have stayed because it's ruining the show.

14. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I agree with you, Mrs.DelkoWolfe. I still think there is potential with Eric. That character can be brought back if they really want to. But I think Calleigh's time is over. There is really nowhere else for her character to go. Calleigh's drama has taken over the show to the exclusion of the other characters and the crimes and victims.

The show has already entered the realm of soap opera. If her character becomes pregnant all pretense of CSI:Miami still being a forensic crime drama is gone.

That would be funny. But then you'll tork off all the shippers who want those two with someone else. There is definitely less stress being a non-shipper - I highly recommend it! ;)

Again, I agree. So far this E/C "relationship" has been really bad fan fiction that should have remained just that. Actually there are some fan fiction writers that make the writers on CSI:Miami look like beginners. And they are able to do it because they know and love these characters and the show. The care about getting it right.

15. mjszud

mjszud Captain

One of the problems I see is that alot of people tend to look at these 2 as "best friends". I admit, I use this term on occasion, but really I don't feel that E & C even had that wonderful of a friendship to begin with. I saw 2 people who were friends on the job... at the workplace, but I never got the impression that it went beyond a casual work-related friendship.
    Some fans look at it as if it was something just meant to be because they were each others' "BFF's", & I just don't see it that way, at all.
    I can actually compare thier past friendship to be much like Ryan & Natalia's. There are certainly times when one or the other shows concern & backs the other up, but again there are then other moments when anything can get them riled & they butt heads immediatly -- Eric & Calleigh had this same type of "friendship". I for one never saw it as anything special, nor did I see it stand out or even emphasized.

If you meant that he is expandable, then I agree. I do think there is far more he can provide for this show than being Calleigh's lap-dog. Calleigh on the other hand, feels very played out & I don't feel like there is anywhere to take her. Everything they've put into her character the last 2 seasons felt so incredibly forced as it is -- the writing for her feels very sloppy. I feel like they're trying far too hard in keeping her front & center & all it's doing is making her character look fake, & everything that revolves around her looks "made up".

EricDelko *cough cough* man with a *cough* bullet in the head....

~~~~
    H-Cool posted this quote from Ann Donahue in the latest & last edition of the CSIMagazine.
    "CSI: Miami will always be about Horatio and his team and the crimes and solving them and helping the victims. Anything we do with Calleigh and Delko is going to be a flavor."
    ^^ The sad thing about this quote is that it comes from a woman (no offence Ann D.) who probably doesn't think that e/c has taken over the show. Knowing her she thinks all that's happened in the last 2 years is just "flavor"....yeah...ONIONS!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.