Still Missing Grissom?

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by vegaslights, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

just want to say that i don't think many people would want to have a thread for recycled discussions. it's very tiring and resembles cutting and pasting your responses, which is why i don't think such a thread should ever exist.

if you are an anti- you are not labeled b/c you're anti- but b/c of the kind of posts you make. if you think that, for example, Grissom is the biggest hypocrite in the world, it's your opinion, and that's fine. but if you keep repeating it over and over and over again, nobody will want to talk to you anymore. same with other arguments.

there is no room to debate with people who very rarely say 'ok, i see your point on this one but i still stick to my opinion', and instead backfire their favorite lines written in a non-dabatable way. it makes a lot of people less likely to participate, unless you are a newbie to the site. i don't blame people who then say that a hostile atmosphere has been created. formal warnings are there for a reason, and there is a reason no thread for such 'discussions' is allowed. at least that's what i understand from participating on this site for years.

back on topic. i'm wondering when is Grissom going to come back. i'm thinking the first half of the season. that leaves me with either the premiere or november sweeps. february seems too far away and France isn't the prettiest in winter. if they film it in august (for the premiere) or in october (for the sweeps) the scenery is going to be equally beautiful. there is always may and the finale too, but i'm not sure TPTB would be revealing info about next season's finale when the finale of this season hasn't aired yet.

now i think it's obvious that i miss him, lol.

2. gilsgal

gilsgal Lab Technician

I'm hoping that Grissom appears in the first half of season 10 as well. I think that would fit in with Billy's schedule, as he's doing the Samuel Beckett play Endgame in April of next year. Whether Grissom is in France or comes back to LV, it really doesn't matter to me....just as long as he appears...lol!!!
    It can't come soon enough for me!!! :)

3. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

4. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  5. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

yeah, George is a good actor and he proved many times that he can carry on the show when he gets a Nick-centered episode. however, i don't necessarily think he would be able to do it on a permanent basis, like Billy or Marg (not b/c he lacks the skills, but b/c Nick's kind of bland). honestly, i wish Marg was the lead, not George, or Larry for that matter. i agree that CSI should focus more on the old cast members b/c they are who made the show in the first place. so yeah, there definitely should be more Greg, Nick, and Catherine.

focusing on a completely new guy is risky. i feel like they made Larry a lead b/c he is a big star as an actor, and it was not based on how good his character is, at all. in result it continues to come out kind of unnatural. if someone doesn't know who Laurence Fishburne is, i imagine they might be pretty confused why Ray is the center of the show.

i feel like TPTB focused so much on making him different from Grissom, who was anything but average, that Langston came out ... average and uninteresting.

6. erep

erep Witness

I *partially* agree with you. I agree that it may have been smarter for the show to focus on the original characters and put less emphasis on Ray. BUT I disagree that Ray is average and uninteresting. Quite the contrary -- I think he is an intriguing character and that Fishburne does a nice job playing him. I think fans should try a bit harder to accept the changes to the show and just go with it. The show is STILL EXCELLENT, despite how much we all miss Grissom (and Sara and Warrick).

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  7. wlk68

wlk68 Pathologist

I love the direction the show has taken and I don't miss Grissom, Sara or Warrick at all. Well, maybe Warrick a little because I loved the brotherly yet competitive vibe he and Nick had.

I'm not in the least surprised by the amount of screen time LF has gotten. He's a big name star and was hired to fill the lead role and so far, he's done a fantastic job. Ray Langston is likeable character with depth - a nice mix of humor and gravitas - and a lot of that is thanks to LF.

What I am disappointed about is how short his probationary/learning curve period was. He went from newbie to working solo cases and testifying in court practically over night. Those first few scenes where he had trouble with finger printing and had to cut off his tie were wonderful and I would've liked to see more of that. It also would've been more realistic. I realize that his former career as a patholgist gave him a leg up but seriously. :rolleyes:

8. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I don't see Nick as bland. I think he's the only character on the show that showed any growth. His jock status turned off a lot of the GSR fans though, they didn't want any screentime given to any other character except Sara and Grissom.

Grissom grew boring in the end, Sara became brittle and Warrick got into a lot of trouble. Sara and Warrick were Grissom's pets and believe me they let Nick know it, but Karma's a b with an itch, so their characters eventually went to the way side.

Nick on the other hadn went through a lot and still going, that shows strength and courage, something Sara and Grissom lacked.

I think the writers have set it up in a way that the whole show centred around one character and when you put all your eggs in one basket and the basket breaks-crash!

9. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Well said myfuturecsi :) Can only agree with that one.

Nick bland??? Well the only thing that was bland was watching Sara and Grissom in their last seasons...

Nick/George not having the skills??? Well George is a great actor, I don't think CSI would get that much bad critism with him as a leader then with Langston... as for Nick... well he don't has the experience to be a leader but so what??? Neither had Grissom as he started being a supervisor in season 1. I think Nick could fit that role too. He went through a lot and still keeps going. He's not full of selfpity that he forgets what's going on arround him (I don't think Grissom was like that in the end).

And well the thing with Langston... I just can't stop shaking my head about that... they can just loose with the road they're taking...

10. wlk68

wlk68 Pathologist

Can I get an amen? I totally, completely agree. Of all the characters he has definitely grown the most. He went from being tentative, insecure and needing Daddy Grissom's approval to being an experienced, confident CSI with real leadership/team building skills. He's also shown a great deal of inner strength what with having been kidnapped and buried alive and still being sane.

Even Grissom said that Nick was his best student.

11. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

i just stated that to me Nick is not that fascinating. more of a regular guy you meet in the south. you don't have to fire ammunition towards Warrick, Grissom and Sara (and their fans) right away.

cause if you say Sara lacked strength, you probably missed a few episodes.

imo, Nick is not a character made to be the lead. if i had to choose between him and Langston, i'd choose Ray. Fishburne's character has still more ways to develop, than an already established Nick, who we've watched for 9 years and already know what is in- and out-of-character for him.

i'm just gonna re-quote what i said so you can read it again:

12. NypdFlackie

NypdFlackie Hit and Run

Lets just say that since Grissom left, I have yet to lay my eyes on any new episodes, it just isn't the same. No offense to Lawrence.

13. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

What the one where she threw a hissy fit over not getting a promotion? Yeah that takes real strength.

No, it's not the Grissom show anymore, it's the LF show.

14. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Sorry my bad...

Well I don't think that we know everything about Nick... just because he's there since season 1 doesn't mean that we know all about him... In fact we always learn something new about him.

I would never choose Langston as a leader it's not important if you have many facettes... important is that you can lead a team, stay on their side, be a teamplayer and the need to make your work good... and because of that Nick would be right for the job. He knows how it feels to be the last one on the list and so he knows how to deal with his team.

A lot of fans don't want to see a newbie getting all the attention just because he's new and has many unseen things on him... that fact alone doesn't make a leader...

And if you compare Nick and Ray you need to realize that Nick with his experience and people skills would make the race, long in the show or not.

15. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

lmao. nice try to troll me into it.

imo, Nick changed probably the least out of all characters on CSI, maybe except Catherine. i think Greg showed the biggest improvement, with Sara close behind. she was very needy in the first 2 or 3 seasons (super-obvious in Crash and Burn) and started to mature and get a distance to the job and pursuing love interests. but Grissom changed too, and i think his heart won the battle with his brain in the end.