Still Missing Grissom?

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by vegaslights, Apr 26, 2009.

1. gilsgal

gilsgal Lab Technician

Yes, I miss Grissom very much. I have tried to watch CSI since his departure and have found that, for me, the "Grissom shaped hole" is just too big to ignore.
    I don't enjoy CSI much anymore and I certainly don't tape it. I have only actually enjoyed 2 epsiodes since Grissom left. One was the Nick centric episode and the other was "A Space Oddity".

And before anyone says that that's because I'm a GSR fan....NO...that's because I'm a Grissom fan. For me, Grissom could have been paired with anyone...and I do mean ANYONE. As long as he was happy, I was happy.

For me, CSI just doesn't feel like CSI-LV any more. It feels generic and like it's lost it's soul. :(

2. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I don't think its lost its soul, I just think it's in a transition. It is hard for a show to be centred around one character and all of a sudden the character has left and now it's just trying to find its ground. I'm willing to give it a chance.

3. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

And so do I. For all the problems they had in the last time they really did a good job. Of course not everything was fine but that was to be expected. They need to find it's ground and therefor they need to experiment a bit.

I all in all like it still and I need to say that we got so many nice emotional episodes since Grissom left so we can't say that the show lost it's soul. There are still very great actors there who keep the show up on a high level and therefor I'm willing to watch it.

4. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I've missed Grissom for a couple of seasons now. I really miss the Grissom of the early years, before GSR.

He was just this fun, quirky, bug scientist that had way too much fun teaching everyone.

Grissom will always be one of my all time favorite characters and I know a job like that can take its toll, but I wanted the old Grissom back.

After Season 6 he just became introverted, hypocritical and unethical (having a relationship with a subordinate), but I guess love does that to you.

So am I missing Grissom, the old Grissom yes, but I don't think show is that much different than before. To me it feels a lot like the old CSI from the first few seasons.

And to say that the writing sucks and the stories are unbelievable now that he's gone, I feel, is wrong to say. I say this because it would be the same people writing, the same storylines, the same everything, except Grissom would be in the episode and not Langston.

Petersen didn't write the episodes, he may have had input, but he didn't write them. In fact all the actors put in their input.

5. Hadapurpura

Hadapurpura Witness

That's my point. When something's interesting enough for you, you find the time for it. When it's not interesting enough, you don't bother. That's a lot worse that hating the show.

And it seems like a lot of people are "not bothering", since ratings have gone from 20+ million viewers, to 14+ million viewers. All the GSR fans of all the CSI forums could be from the U.S. (which is not true), and stop watching CSI together (which isn't happening either), and even get support from all the Grissom fans who swore they wouldn't watch CSI again, and we wouldn't make 0.1% of the audience loss. So something must be missing from the show to make more or less 6 million people in the U.S. alone become disengaged from it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  6. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Well if you mean GSR fans, they were only in it for the GSR and it still didn't hold up against Grey's Anatomy when it became canon in season six. The same season Grey's was moved to Thursday night. It was almost like the Writers went, "Oh my god, all character development of the others is out the door, we must put Sara and Grissom together to save our show.." It didn't work, did it. Grey's kicked CSI's butt big time that season, not so much in the ratings but in the demographics.

And yes, ratings have dropped this season. I think they expected that after Grissom left because frankly, they wrote the show around his character-which was a mistake in my opinion but that's said and done and nothing will change history..perhaps future writers will learn from this and make sure if they write a show centred around a main character, they will not call itself an 'ensemble' cast.

I mean The Mentalist (the most awesome show on TV right now besides CSI) centres around one character, they don't call themselves an 'ensemble' cast, and House is centred around one character, House. If both actors left their shows they would have to be cancelled.

Now, I think for a show that is nine years old, 14+ million viewers is pretty good. There are younger shows on TV that would kill for these kinds of ratings.

Do I miss Grissom? When I watch the old shows, I do, but his character became boring in the last few seasons, and then there's the relationship he had with a subordinate, for me that was the end of Grissom.

Whenever I watch Evaluation Day and see Grissom's holier than thou attitude towards Nick for sleeping with a hooker, I find myself laughing because this is the same guy who went and did the horizontal mombo with a subordinate. So Grissom left for me at the end of season five right after Grave Danger.

7. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

i definitely miss Grissom. but i'm not watching CSI that much anymore so i don't feel it too strongly. but when i watch, i miss him a lot. i can't wait until he comes back! :D

8. Hadapurpura

Hadapurpura Witness

As you point out later, CSI was a show in its sixth season, with mostly stand-alone episodes, while Grey's was the younger drama show (directed at a younger audience) everyone was talking about, and you had to watch all the episodes if you didn't want to lose track. CSI held up really really well, Season 7 was one of the best and it eventually kicked Grey's butt. They were basically putting oranges vs. apples in the competition.

If The Mentalist left The Mentalist or House left House, those shows would be cancelled right away, or the ratings would plummet right away. If any other member of those shows left, there would probably not be much of a difference. Now with an "ensemble" cast such as CSI, if any member of that ensemble leaves, ratings will suffer. When Sara left, ratings did suffer (then again, GSR fans can't be held accountable for that), in a lesser extent with Warrick, moreso with Grissom.

Pretty good indeed, if it wasn't because a few episodes ago, it had 6 million more viewers (more or less). Again, it wasn't a sudden ratings plummet. People are giving Grissom-less CSI a chance, and are slowly being dissapointed by it and disengaged from it, so something is indeed missing. It didn't become a bad show, not even a regular show, just the forgettable kind of good show. Before, you just "had to" watch CSI, now you watch it when you can and if you forgot to for some reason, it's no biggie.

First of all, the Nick fiasco (I call it fiasco because a woman died) happened in Season 1. Grissom and Sara got together somewhere around season 5-6. How much can a person's life and mind change in 5-6 years? Two or three weeks ago we didn't know such a thing as the "pig flu" (or whatever it's name in english is) existed, today I snoozed in public and everyone looked me as if I was Osama Bin Laden :shifty:.

Second, a one-night stand with a random girl (occupation aside) who ends up dead! beside you! doesn't compare to finally getting in a stable, commited relationship to the love of your life. And Grissom was a robot with no feelings (or at least a robot who didn't know he had any feelings whatsoever) in Season 1.

And that "Grissom's a (put derogatory description of your preference here) for doing the horizontal mambo with a subordinate" argument is tiring and sickening. It happens that the lab rules aren't the life's rules, and there are moments in life when you have to choose between the "right" thing to do and the Right! thing to do. Grissom and Sara did the wrong thing according to the lab's rules (and Ecklie was totally right when he took measures about it), but they did the right thing in the overall scheme of their lives. It wasn't job vs. a booty call, it was a rule at work vs. their happiness and love for the rest of their lives.

9. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

^ yeah, we can say this all we want but the response is going to be the same as always: 'it was still unethical', 'rules are rules no matter what' and 'he is a hypocrite' and then my favorite phrase 'Sara has daddy issues'. and then we'll repeat what we usually say to that. and then we do it all over again. and then we all die at the age of 80.

i guess it's a matter of whether you are a romantic or not. if you are, then sacrificing some rules in the name of love is justifiable. if you are not, then you are going to put it in the same line with being a criminal.

10. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I for one am just not a fan of romance as a whole, whether it's on tv, movies, or in novels. But to generalize that the people who didn't want to see romance because they came to see the crime drama part is not needed. Nor do I see GSR as a crime, just an annoyance that did a number on characters. Especially Grissom because he was the geeky bug guy and by the end it seemed like his love for bugs had diminished.

11. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

^ i understand you wanted the show to stay relationship-free.

but isn't it kind of cruel to expect a person to live only with his bugs and deny him love and companionship? i mean, i think he deserved some happiness and i don't believe that he was such a loner from the beginning he never wanted it. he always dated a little, since season 1 and 2 (Terri Miller, the lab tech) through season 3 (the unidentified 'date', Lady Heather), to season 4 and 5 (Sofia, Sara).

but i totally get it if you'll say that they could've gotten him a g/f outside of the office and just mention it one time or the other. it just wouldn't be that exciting and nobody would be still talking about it. *shrugs*

12. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Cruel? No. Grissom is a character...therefore there doesn't have to be a love interest at all. Not every character has to have a relationship to define them.

It's a crime show...besides IMHO the relationship broke Grissom down and changed his character into something that I did not like. And with each romantic encounter he had he changed a bit and lost the integrity of the core character.

13. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

First of all the hooker didn't die next to him in bed.

Second of all, having a relationship with a subordinate is not tiring, because Grissom was always criticizing his team about personal stuff and it interfering with the job. Then when he turns around and, basically, does the thing he told everyone else not to do, makes him a hypocrite. Yeah, he loved Sara. Yeah they wanted to be together. Than they should've done the right thing and one of them either should've left the lab or went to another shift. That only happened after they were found out.

Yes, it's a TV show, but having a relationship and being in-love with a subordinate in their line of work, can put the entire team in danger, and how a supervisor being in a relationship with a direct subordinate could've caused many cases they worked on to be thrown out.

So this isn't about what makes them happy, it's about Grissom always telling his team one thing and then doing the opposite. The 'do what I say', 'not what I do' philosophy. The it's ok from me to do it (and Sara), but it's not ok for you to do it.

Not to mention him showing favoritism to Sara (and Warrick, for that matter) and that was because of his feeling for her. He was never as hard on Sara as he was with Nick and Catherine and sometimes Warrick.

If they wanted to be together and be happy, that's great, but one of them should've went to another shift or left the lab. Because that would've been the right thing to do. Doing it after they were found out, is not doing the right thing. It's 'crap we were caught' not we'll have to do this.

Any way you spin it, what he did was unethical and could've caused problems with the lab, the team, the cases.

Yes, Love will make you do crazy things :shifty:, but he was superior and he knew better!!!

14. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

^ hahah, told you Hadapurpura! i've read those same arguments, like, a thousand times.

anyway,
    i respect your opinion on that. my own is a bit different. see, i think Grissom grew from a bug-loving hermit to a person not only capable of love, but a person who is willing to pursue it himself. such a change from someone who rejected it when it was thrown at him. i think it made him richer (character-wise) and more interesting. i mean, there is a limit to how much you can watch the same guy study insects, ride roller coasters, and be socially inept. to me, it was fascinating to see him in such a situation. i already knew his quirks and his ways in the lab. this was an area many people were still curious about him. but i can see what you're trying to say.

15. electra

electra Pathologist

Actually for me is not that grissom fell in love with Sara ,is how he handled everything.First,he was not the one that told Ecklie about it and when confronted by him he was actually sort of annoyed instead of accepting that he did break the rules.