Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

For me, this romance already going over the top,it coming from bad (2 years waiting) for worse (they together and how they show us it). I mean, it was really necessary to make from Ryan gossip guy like Copper? Just because they want us remember that EC exist? Trust me, we don't forget it if you show us some eps without EC. Yeah, we had some eps without EC, 2-3 against of many! Tptb respect only EC shippers? They don't care about everyone else? If this overkill don't stop ASAP, many of fans stop watching show, cuz they wanna see crime drama not EC romantic on work.

2. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

That's exactly my biggest qualm against this couple. They're too much concentrated on it (IMHO, they're also writing it in pretty bad way :p) that they sometimes lose the original concept of the show, not to mention that the famous team spirit, which featured CSI:Miami, got completely lost throughout these last 2 years.

As you said, Ryan & Calleigh have a nice friendship & it is painful to watch these 2 sharing few scenes some of which are quite bad & can ruin their friendship as they did in "Wolfe in Sheep's Clothing".
    Also Calleigh & Natalia are good friends. I mean let's remember that Calleigh was the only one to help Natalia against Ryan in "Rio". By that time Ryan almost wanted Natalia dead b/c he didn't accept she was working as CSI after the whole mole stuff. She was the only one to have faith in this girl & try to help her when she made a mistake. While Ryan wanted to kill her b/c it, Calleigh remained as calm as possible & she told her how to behave in the future in such a sweet way that I think she cared of Natalia.
    They also had some great scenes in s6 (eg. the bow & arrow scene when Calleigh blathered like a mad some explanations on how to measure an arm extention or something like this & Natalia almost having a heart attack when she tried the bow & Calleigh stopped her as if it were a bomb :lol:), that yeah when I see an episode like "Smoke gets in Your CSIs" with Calleigh in a coma & nobody being there or just asking whether she's ok or not, I feel lost :wtf:
    I mean Calleigh helped Natalia & it's pretty evident that Natalia is a good friend of her & they share some women moments, how is it possible that Natalia didn't ask anything????
    IDK they could have done somthing like this when she was interrogating the suspect (the same one Calleigh had her crisis with):
    S(suspect): oh look at you. Are you that crazy cop's substitute? :lol:
    N(ready to kill him off): the crazy cop is now in a coma!!!! Idiot! :scream:

It's not that much & I know most of us would have imagined Natalia & Ryan being concerned about her!!! Gosh they're her co-workers.
    How would you react, if you best co-worker & yeah your friend ended up in a coma?

The bad thing, IMHO, is that they were too concentrated on showing Eric & his feelings for her, to think about this elementary thing :shifty:

See? That's what I think is happening also on CSI:Miami. They don't see ghostes (well Delko once did :lol:), but they are always concentrated on their feelings or on them working together kinda ingoring the others.
    I also know what youre talking about b/c I'm just in the middle of that storyline on Grey's Anatomy (unfortunately, here in Italy it hasn't ended yet :rolleyes:) & trust me I'm already tired of it just b/c it's completely against any possible realistic storyline. Not to mention that the only interesting storyline that character had on the show was....yeah this one :brickwall:

As for E/C, they do look like a team against the rest of the lab & they also look like a separate storyline from the others on CSI:Miami.
    On one hand, you have the sunny Miami with murders, dramas & a lab lead by H investigating on murders. On the other hand, we have Delko daydreaming on they possible honey moon while working on a crime scene ( I think there's no need to express how I felt disgusted watching it :rolleyes:) or Calleigh preparing Delko's shower or them enjoyin their morning while one of their collegues is literally spitting blood from his mouth.
    And that's the only interesting storyline they have had in these last 2 season (I don't want to consider Delko's father b/c otherwise I should start writing the "Divine Comedy" on it :lol:).

All I can do is :alienblush:. Thank you so much for the nice words :D.
    And I really apppreciate your effort to have a good & healthy debate on a really interesting topic :). As much we respect eachother it is always good to talk about our fav. show & something we may don't like of it even if we don't agree on some things :).

Please, let's go on like this :thumbsup:

3. SomewhereApart

SomewhereApart Prime Suspect

Okay, I just need to pop in here and say that I totally agree that they need to have more scenes with other people -- and that Calleigh has had great scenes with both Natalia and Ryan in the past, and I hope they they are able to bring those back and focus less on the E/C scenes now that they've finally gotten them together.

However, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that Ryan wanted Natalia dead in the beginning of season 5. Fired? Probably. Far, far away from the lab she'd betrayed by spying on them for months? Absolutely. Dead? No.

The problem with an episode like that is that there is a lot to fit into 42 minutes, and everyone is only going to get a certain amount of time. There was the issue of Calleigh, but there was also another murder to solve. I may be wrong about this, because its been a while since I've watched it, but the case in the episode where Eric got shot was Eric. He was the victim, he was the focus. In SGIYC, they were trying to figure out who started the fire, and trying to figure out who killed the victim in the attic, and trying to figure out who had died on the surgeon's table. Honestly, I feel like that storyline would have been better served as a two-episode arc, because they were trying to tackle a lot and didn't necessarily do it justice within the time constraints. Taking another hour for it would have allowed us to actually see more team concern over Calleigh instead of just assume that it's there, and would also have been more realistic, considering it's pretty unlikely that someone with ARDS would be awake and breathing on their own half a day after they arrive at the hospital.

I'm with you on the daydream -- it was silly and seemed out of place on this show. I think the writers have to remember that there's an extent to which we want to see the characters interacting, there's an extent to which we want to see them dating, but we don't need to see them getting all daydreamy and moony-eyed over each other -- or at least, we don't need to see the daydream.

I do have an issue, though, with everyone's issue with Calleigh and Eric going about their day while Ryan was cleaning his wounds. And my issue is this -- while Calleigh and Eric were showering and getting ready, it's pretty safe to assume that Natalia was, y'know, making toast or something, Frank might have been putting gas in his car on the way to the station, Horatio might have been turning on the coffee pot, or already at the office going over work. Eric and Calleigh were not the only ones who were going about life as normal while Ryan was being tortured and cleaning himself up -- EVERYONE was. The Eric and Calleigh scene was put in there to mirror the Ryan stuff -- and they did a brilliant job of that (cutting between Ryan lying on the ground to Eric lying in a similar position in bed, Ryan swishing salt water, to Calleigh spitting out water, etc.) -- they mirrored them for most of the opening, and cinematically it was very well done, whether you like the scenes they chose to mirror that or not. Like E/C together or don't, I don't really care one way or another and I'm not here to sway anyone's opinion, but if you're going to say that Calleigh and Eric went about their morning and didn't care, you also have to point out that from all the evidence we've been given, everyone else did the same thing.

I agree! We may not all agree on things, but it's nice to see a forum/thread where you can actually discuss your opinion and take on a certain show/storyline/scene/relationship and have everyone constructing well-thought-out opinions. -

4. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

Ok, in SGIYC Ryan calling to Eric, knowing that Eric still in hospital, tptb can't write 10 seconds in this talk, simle "How is Calleigh?" and Erics quick answer. It was so hard? 10 seconds! And then, Ryan and Natalia processing Docs garage (or whatever it was), Natalia can ask Ryan what he know about Calleigh's condition, also 10 seconds.It was very hard? No. So why they didn't do this? Cuz they thinking only about Eric's feelings for her and forgot about everything else.

I agree, whole team was don't care. But Eric was the one who should calling Ryan and find out where is he in 7x19, cuz Horatio told him calling more. Maybe Eric was boring and he knew that Calleigh waiting him, so he stop calling and probably said that Ryan was ok. It's the only way i can understand why everyone else don't worry about Ryan. But in this theory all blame on Eric. (don't beat me Eric fans, just thoughts in loud ;))

5. SomewhereApart

SomewhereApart Prime Suspect

True, but remember that you just added 20 seconds to the episode. And there are times where literally 10 seconds more is 10 seconds too many and things have to be cut. Every hour has a breakdown to-the-second for commercials, programming, previews, etc. So if they put in that 20 seconds, they have to take 20 seconds out. And adding in those 20 seconds doesn't really further the plot of the episode. It would have been nice to see, we fans would really have appreciated seeing the concern of the team, but it's 20 seconds of airtime that they thought needed other use. Clearly, one of the functions of SGIYC was to put Calleigh and Eric together, and I think their scenes in that episode were relatively tight -- it would be hard to cut any of them down and still have things work out the way they did -- which means those 20 seconds of added dialogue would have had to come out of the rest of the plot. Again, this is why I say that episode should have been a two-parter. It would have allowed more time for stuff like that.

True, Horatio told him to call again, and I think he did at the end of the episode (I'd have to rewatch to be sure, but isn't he dialing again in that scene?), but Eric isn't the only one with Ryan's number, and Eric isn't exactly Ryan's superior. Ryan's boss (Horatio) knows they can't find him right then; if we assume it is not up to Eric to decide when to stop calling, then we have to assume that at some point H told him he didn't have to keep trying. But as I've said before, the lack of continuity between knowing Ryan has gone off radar, and the implication that they are going to call until they find him at the end of 7.19, and everyone just not caring once we get to 7.20 is so blatantly bad that it can't be anything but bad writing. It's one of the best examples of CSI:Miami's painful lack of continuity even from episode to episode. It's like they got sudden amnesia about where they left off the week before.

6. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

IMO, they can show us this 20 seconds if they cut a little bit Eric, in this ep EC moments was to many, and this 20 seconds don't destoy this fact. Then againg, when Ryan run for suspect he said "you trying cook me this morning" or something like that, they can write this another way "my co-waker in hospital because of you, so don't lie me". Just rewrite this part. Hard? No. They had many ways to write non-EC moments and show that team worry about her, but they didn't do that.

I said, maybe Eric said H that Ryan was ok. H trust him that he calling Ryan again and againd, until Ryan pick up phone and say that he is ok.

7. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Of course he didn't want her dead, but you know his looks weren't good at all & let's say he thought about everything on her but compliments ;).
    It was just to let you better understand how difficult the situation was for Natalia in that episode.
    I would have felt the same way as she actually did b/c I know it's very diffuclt to work with person who literally hate by that moment ;)

Actually when Eric got shot they were investigatin on a kidnapping & they had to save that secretary who turned out to have helped Clavo during his escape.
    In both episode they investigated on 2 cases, if not more ;)
    "Man Down":
    -kidnapping
    -diamond's traffic & chidlren working in a sweatshop as slaves.
    - Eric's shooter.
    "Smoke Gets in your CSIs":
    -the killer
    -the human organs traffics
    -the person who cooked down both Calleigh & Ryan.
    I totally agree that the ideas where too many for this episode (also b/c in the previous spoiler there were lots of other storyline like one which featured a fast working paramedic who was working on Calleigh in the ambulance ;)), but whil they all visited Eric (it just took them one minute), they completely forgot Calleigh's existence in her episode.
    And I also agree they should have splitted it up in a 2 episode arc. still they could have done something in these terms ;)

You're right, but I think the main problem is that they actually showed Calleigh & Eric & I think it was pretty clear they had sex that night & we all know what happened to Ryan in the meantime.
    Of course, Natalia was eating a toas & probably Frank was watching his fav. show that morning & yeah it is pathetic too, but it didn't look as painful & kinda sad as it looked w/ E/C just b/c we actually didn't see it, so we're not sure about what they have actually done that moring ;)

Of course, the best thing they could do was to show Calleigh & Eric (I know most people are going to hate us) b/c the contrast between their wellnes & comfort against Ryan's situation was effective & yeah perfect.
    Showing Natalia or Frank wouldn't have been effective just b/c, as far as we know, they are not too rich, they don't have a beautiful house & yeah they're both single. Yeah that's the problem they don't have the same comfort E/C have b/c they don't have a current relationship & a life full of emotions as E/C are actually having.
    And, finally, yeah they should have done something for Natalia & Frank long time ago so that they could use them instead of the usual Calleigh & Eric :rolleyes:

That's the reason why I most love this thread ;)

Well as much I don't want to agree with you b/c I still can't accept Eric's behaviour ( I mean HE HAD SEX WITH CALLEIGH, WHEN THEIR CO-WORKER WAS OFFICIALLY MISSING!!! :scream:), I must agree with you on the fact that nobody did care of this guy.
    And yeah this is all TPTB's fault ;)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  8. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

You know, I've thought about that as well and you're right. I think that the reason for the anger directed at E/C is because that is the opposing image we were presented. And I know it was intented to present a mirror of E/C having the perfect morning as opposed to Ryan's nightmare, but for some, admittedly me included, it just heightened the resentment of E/C.

The same applies to the anger directed at Eric for not continuing to try and reach Ryan. The last image we had was Horatio telling Eric to keep calling. Eric then takes out his phone and begins to dial again in an effort to reach Ryan. We are left with that as the closing image. So in our minds Eric is left holding the bag, so to speak.

The next time we see Eric, it's obvious he gave up trying and instead of both he and Calleigh looking or worrying about finding Ryan, they had what appears to have been a pretty nice evening.

Other members of the team may have as well, but we weren't presented with that image so the resentment isn't as strong for them.

But realistically, where is Horatio when it comes to Ryan being missing all night? Horatio came back from Rio and a near death experience and hit the ground running to find Calleigh. If you think about it our last image of him is telling Eric to keep calling Ryan and then...well, where did Horatio go?

I absolutely adore Horatio, but the writers have really made him appear almost incompetent as a manager/supervisor lately. Then again, that's for another thread. ;)

9. abstract

abstract Dead on Arrival

In case spoilers aren't allowed here or there's someone not wishing to be spoiled, I'll use the spoiler thing.
    From the Futon Critic: "Horatio Fights to Save Yelina While Delko's Life Hangs in the Balance on "CSI: Miami"

And from EW: "Horatio fights to save Yelina while Delko goes against Calleigh's pleas and helps his dangerous father with life-threatening consequences. Brian Austin Green guest stars as an alleged carjack victim."

Delko's life hanging in the balance, again? AGAIN?? Are they for real? And against Calleigh's pleas, no less. How could he? Do I sense some big EC drama is heading our way? And going along with it, perhaps a fresh round of endless EC hype? I can see it now... Will this be the end for EC? Or will true-love-forever conquer all? Stay tuned for season 8... Lest anyone get confused, that last bit was pure sarcastic speculation on my part; it's not intended to offend or mislead anyone.

So much ongoing, never ending drama for these two, is it any wonder some fans find this coupling tiresome & contrived? Are tptb ever going to run out of ways to keep them front & center? I'm beginning to think not.

10. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

(Sigh) I agree, abstract. I had hoped for something better in the finale, but I expected it would be E/C drama again. Maybe this time they'll put them both in the hospital and the drama will be that they can't get to each other so they can say cheesy things and goo-goo eye each other. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry. I know that was very snarky, but it's been a very long season with these two. :(

That said, I am looking forward to Horatio and Yelina. I don't 'ship them (Horatio having an intimate relationship with his sister-in-law isn't something I'd care to see), but I've always loved what Yelina brings out in Horatio. The last couple of times Yelina has appeared, however, Horatio has been pretty cold and distant. I'd like to see that turned around and those two get back to the closeness they once shared.

And I have to say it one more time: Where the HELL is Natalia, Ryan and Frank?

11. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

As memory serves, in the early years, wouldn't Eric have simply walked into the computer lab and put a GPS tracker on Ryan's cell phone? How many times has he asked Dan Cooper, Tyler, or Danny Weston to do that? I know they found Alexx's van that way one time. Did they get rid of that technology due to budget cuts or something? :guffaw: Looks like getting some has become more of a priority. But let's see. How many boyfriends has Calleigh had since the series started? John Hagen, Jake Berkeley, Peter Elliot, Delko. That's four in seven years. And how many has Eric been involved with? Not including the toothing in "Killer Date"?

I'm with you, Delynn. Although I guess some people would be creeped out because Yelina is Horatio's sister-in-law, I'd have no problem with it now because both are widowed. And yeah, it's just not believable that for all those years they were attracted to one another, and then it just went PFFFFFFFT! like that.

Actually, I want to see Horatio and Yelina get married just so Ray Jr. would have to call Horatio "Uncle Dad"!

Now that I think about it, the last couple of times Yelina has appeared, EVERYBODY has been cold and distant! Geez, compared to our CSI's I'm starting to think Ron Saris is the friendliest, most likable guy in there! Maybe they should make HIM a CSI!

If my bud isn't in the season finale (Stetlerpants), I'm not so sure I'll bother to watch, especially given what I know about the spoiler. Although I'll laugh my fool head off if they revive the H/Y/S love triangle! :lol:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Who is Danny Weston? Was he in the first two seasons because I didn't watch the first two seasons very often. :lol:

And I had to :lol: at "Uncle Dad". :guffaw:

13. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I was debating on whether or not to babble about this, but what the hell...

Wasn't it a given though that we would have more E/C to endure?! I knew it was coming to tell you the truth, but another "oh my love is in danger!!" barfness?!!? :wtf:

Exactly how many times does this need to happen - is there a point Im missing? :confused:

So, we have Eric going against Calleigh to help his Dad. Ok, well that's better than him melting & saying "mmyes dear", but whatever.
    There's "life-threatening consequences". Ok, for who exactly? Eric, Calleigh?

Alexx is "wanted" supposedly for an already written season premier.
    So.. hmmm.....is it too obvious that there will be some tacky hospital scene resulting from this? Oh yes, I'm sure of it -- Lord help us.

And how many times have we heard over-dependant & fixated Eric say he wouldn't know what to do if anything happened to her, or that he can't live his life without her?

I'll be brutally honest here - all that put together sounds like death to me. I guess we'll see.

14. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

*chuckle* Sorry, I thought this was amusing. I've gotta ask...

What's he supposed to be feeling/saying?

"Eh, I think I could live without you. Yeah, yeah, I'm pretty sure I could. I love you, sweetheart, I really do... but still, I could get along just fine if you were gone"?

:lol:

15. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I'm not following Miami as closely as I used to, but I've personally hoped for Calleigh/Horatio for a while, so the developments have annoyed me a little.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.