Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I hope you are wrong. I jokingly said once they should just spin off another show for them .They Could name it, CSI's in Love.But you are right about the desperation to sell the relationship.TPTB must have something more up their sleeves.

2. mjszud

mjszud Captain

If that is the case, then I'll be ditching this show all together.
    It's not supposed to be about the personal lives of these 5 CSIs (or just 2 of them); it's about 5 crime scene investigators & thier jobs as CSIs.....the crimes, the city, the JOB, the evidence, etc, etc, a little personal stuff along the way- but that should be all that it's about. The next "so many seasons" of a drawn out e/c relationship is completely crossing the line in terms of the aspect of this show.

3. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

I see a lot of posts referring to the way the EC romance was set up. I'm wondering, if it was done in a 'better' way (in your opinions) would you be more accepting of it, or is it the establishment in general?

Forgive me if this has been asked, I've not been on in, like, forever.

4. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

I agree with all that has been said about this pairing.
    Adorelo- I think if they had set the relationship up better I would be happier with it. I dont see any romantic chemistry between them, but I think they have good chemistry as friends (esp. season1) But s3-4 that chemistry wasn't as evident, I think if they had built up on that friendship again beginning of s5 it wouldn't have seemed so out of context that they were suddenly in love with each other later on. It was just too out of the blue.
    And its been mentioned earlier, it has done nothing for either character. Eric has come across as a little pathetic and Calleigh has seemed hard-hearted, what with the whole Jake thing. Its lowered my respect for both of them.
    I'm not against romance in CSI- I liked the way they handled GSR, but I dont like it when it takes over the show. Or when they have the pair in scenes together all the time to the detriment of each characters relationship with the other characters. I dont want to see EC all the time, I want Cal and Ryan to interact and Eric and Ryan, Cal and Nat etc Smoke gets in Your CSI's is the prime example.
    Im hoping now that the romance has been acknowledged they can stop the annoying will they wont they, which I hate in any show, and give some screen time to the other characters.

5. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

It's entirely possible.

But a lot of my problem with these two is I simply do not see any romantic chemistry between these actors. People can tell me over and over again that it's there and I don't see it.

Chemistry is something that can't be created. It's either there or it isn't. The kiss last night didn't work for me because it was generic. I didn't feel anything happening between the characters. There was no passion. It was like two friends or a brother and sister kissing. No spark.

Marc Dube did a wonderful job writing this episode, but the romantic stuff needs work. These two are supposed to be adults. The dialogue between these two verges on juvenille at times.

The "climax" of these two finally hooking up should be a season ender. While not the focus of the episode last night, their hook up was a featured part of it. I'm still not comfortable that this relationship won't be a focus of episodes to come and that other characters will suffer for it.

I really do hope I'm wrong.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  6. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Agreed totally.
    These 2 came across as nothing more than friends in the first 5 seasons, & even in the past 2 seasons that they've been exploring, we still hadn't seen anything close to a real romance between them; it was sympathy from Calleigh's part, & co-dependency on Eric's. To me, that just isn't true love. I don't ever doubt that these two have loved each other in a friendly way, but as far as whole-heartidly loving each other for all the right reasons - no- I don't see that.

One thing about these 2 is that they've always lacked a raw, sexual, passionate chemistry; & in last night's epi with thier kiss really proved it.
    Adam & Emily's friendship seemed to shine through that kiss more than anything, & so did Eric & Calleigh's.....there was not even a glimpse of anything passionate there. They both appeared stiff with the typical "kissing stance" - guy has hands on waist - girl has arms around neck - it couldn't have looked any more juvenille.
    I would've expected something of a long passionate kiss - this was no where to be seen; they're lacking in all that makes a couple appear intimate & in love, & as Delynn stated above, that chemistry cannot be forced or created - it's either there or it isn't, & in this case it is absolutely not there.

7. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

Personally I think this romance storyline between Calleigh and Delko will ruin their on screen chemistry. If they decide to date and things go wrong there is going to be tension and the chemistry will disappear.:angryrazz:

The show should stick to science and drama and leave the romance behind.

8. jolein

jolein Pathologist

Chemistry is still in the eye of the beholder.
    While you can`t see it or think they act juvenile doesn`t mean others see it that way.
    Some people see chemistry with Danny/Lindsay,some people don`t.

Miami has handled the relationship between Eric/Calleigh much better then NY did with Danny/Lindsay and it was only a natural step for them to get into a relationship.
    They both have their bagage and they both have the trust,more so then with anybody else.

9. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I agree. IMHO - Grissom/Sara have chemistry. Warrick/Catherine had chemistry. Eric/Natalia have chemistry. Horatio/Yelina have chemistry. Horatio/Calleigh (in seasons 1-3 had chemistry).

Horatio/Marisol had no chemistry. Eric/Calleigh have no chemistry.

I realize that some people see it that way. I'm not a huge fan of Danny/Lindsay, but I think NY did it much better. We didn't have it shoved down our throats and have to hear nothing but Danny/Lindsay in every promo once they decided to go ahead with the relationship.

I'm hoping that now that they've achieved their goal, we can move on and be a whole lot more subtle.

Hopefully everyone on the team trusts each other. Then again, this team hasn't been a team for a while now.

My problem with Calleigh and Eric is too much of that "trust" is born of Calleigh hiding Eric's issues from their boss. That speaks to her ethics and integrity, which have seriously suffered in the last couple of seasons.

10. doublehelix

doublehelix Police Officer

Chemistry in the eyes of the beholder? Not quite, not by a long shot. As MJ said either it's there, or it isn't. Chemistry also adds believability and this is where E/C fall hopelessly short.

Good chemistry comes out on camera. Sorry, but with E/C there is no "there" there. TPTB is sticking to old formula, the two have been on screen together since epi #1, so they have to get them together in a romance. They don't seem to be asking if this romance looks real or believable. To many of us, it looks totally contrived and not believable. Richard Gere and Diane Lane, Eric and Calleigh are DEFINITLY NOT.
    MJ said it correctly, you can't create good on-screen chemistry. They seem to be trying with Eric and Calleigh but, to me, it's falling totally flat. With Delko and BoaVista the on screen chemstry just seemed to ooze out of the screen. Why TPTB ignored this is beyond me.

11. jolein

jolein Pathologist

If that is the case then some ships wouldn`t be so controversieel,like GSR or Danny/Lindsay.
    So to say that chemistry isn`t in the eye of the beholder is the same as saying that people should all see the same thing.

People see different things,were you don`t see chemistry,I do see chemistry between E/C more then I see chemistry between Eric and that Boa chick or between Calleigh/Jake.

12. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Her name is Natalia Boa Vista.

I apologize for the short post, but I think it's easy enough to find a character's name and just respectful to post it properly.

13. jolein

jolein Pathologist

Aha,well,I apologize if you felt that it was inapropriate of me that I call her Boa chick but I don`t always feel the need to look for a name.
    Especially since that is not the important part of my post.

14. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

I mostly agree with you. GSR - yes. Warrick/Cat - yes. EDeN - yes. H/Y - yes (though I don't really like the idea of Horatio paired off with anyone).

H/Cal - no. H/Mari - no. E/C - yes.

Not to be nitpicky..... ok, yes, to be nitpicky..... how many promos from season 7 have been Eric/Calleigh-centric? And from season 6? I don't normally watch promos and only caught the latest two (the one for 716, which definitely did hype up E/C, and the one for 717, which didn't hype up E/C at all), so I don't know. Specifically which promos have been all about or nearly-all-about E/C? I just wanna know how accurate your assertion is.

And also, I wanted to ask - why do some people (like yourself, though correct me if I'm wrong) consider advertising and media attention to be just as significant as the show itself? I hardly ever catch promos or articles or interviews, etc (with my recent interest being the exception), and only follow the actual plotlines of the show. To me, what happens in the canon of the show is far more important than celebrity soundbites or Access Hollywood flimflammery. I don't care if Jonothon Togo or Eva La Rue get more attention than Emily or Adam, and I may feel a little bad if certain actors are questioned about characters and plotlines that don't pertain to them, but it doesn't effect what happens in the actual show, and THAT'S what I think is important - the show itself. So...... I don't understand, and that's why I'd like someone to explain it to me.

I wouldn't exactly praise her for breaking the rules, but I can accept it. I mean, there's Valera, who took shortcuts and was temporarily dismissed while tons of her cases were reopened. Then there's Ryan, who was mixed up with gambling debts and exchanging money with a suspect in a case. Then of course there's H... who, in order to exact bloody revenge (or "achieve justice", we could spin it that way too) for the murder of his wife, basically assasinated around half a dozen people in Brazil, and then was let off the hook for it. I've accepted all of their faults and their breaches of protocol and ethics. I can also accept Calleigh for who she is and what she's done.

See what I'm saying?

15. mjszud

mjszud Captain

They've been playing/teasing with these promos ever since she kissed his cheek in season 5, no not in every single promo, but it's still been there far more than any other couple from any of the CSI shows. I believe it was even there in the promo for 'Born to kill' with them showing her & Jake kissing & then Eric's reaction. 'Dangerous Son' again, they showed Eric talking to Jake & the comments about Cal/Jake being on vacation together. Even at the beginning of season 6 when they started off the show they had AR doing some little stint saying how Miami was heating up this season & they showed E/C in a scene. Oddly enough there was far from any "heat" going on between those 2 at that time.
    There's been loads more, one that sticks in mind is that ridiculous promo for 'you may now kill the bride'. Then we had them again in that promo with the friend/lover & showing her say she's confused...blablabla.
    Then once again for the episode 'smoke get's it your CSI's' & yes, again, for this last episode.

So yes, for some of us that starts to feel very shoved in our faces.
    It's not just the promos, mind you, it's every article, & interview that seems to revolve around their story. When have we seldom got to see any interviews with Eva, or Togo about thier characters or thier arcs? Everytime there's anything said about the show from Corey Miller, we always have to hear about e/c....very little about anyone else.

As for the show itself - it is still in our face. What I don't think anyone understands is that even though thier romance isn't focused on in every episode - TPTB have always made sure they're in almost every scene together. NY has done a much better job with at least splitting up the time with Danny & Lindsay - they rarely have scenes together even though there's a lot going on with them romantically, so it doesn't seem to be that focused on in every episode. Still we are able to see Danny go off with Flack, Mac, or any one else on the team & it shows a little more of him as an individual, & as a CSI. Very seldom do we see that with Eric & Calleigh!

When the TVguide interviewer can acknowledge that E/C (AR/EP) are getting all the screentime, to the point of asking how it feels & how the other actors feel, then it's quite obvious that it's something other people can see as well. I personally think it's very insulting to the other actors, & to thier fans.

On another note, there was mention earlier about Eric & Calleigh sharing so much trust. If that is the case, then why have I heard Calleigh ask Eric "why didn't you tell me" like 3 times ever since his injury- not to mention he totally blew off telling her about "seeing" Speed, but he told H?
    I'm not necessarily saying that he hides these things because he doesn't trust her, I just find it a little ironic that these 2 are supposed to be so "perfect for each other" because of their trust, yet he fails to confide in her (Hallucination/living in a motel/needing a cheat sheet/hiding his birth certificate), & she fails to tell him how she feels about him for 2 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.