CSI:NY Season 5 Spoiler Discussion - This City Never Sleeps

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I think Pino's wife is supposed to be in the episode - at least I read that somewhere. So I assumed it was his wife, not his sister.

2. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

I'm sure his wife is to be a murder victim.

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Yeah, the original spoilers said that Pino's wife was a victim - maybe this means she was a coroner too? (Of course, the description could just be wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time - "The Triangle", anyone? :rolleyes: So yeah, I take the press releases with a grain of salt. :p)

4. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Thanks for the spoilers, Fay. "Yahrzeit" looks like it could be very interesting indeed. :)

5. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

^I know, doesn't it? Sounds like some great development for Mac (really interesting stuff about his father!) and for Danny too. And Danny being in trouble with IAB sounds like our old Danny again, yay!
    I'm really excited about the Mac stuff though. I know a lot of the cases turn out to be personal for him, but he is the lead character, and I feel we've had a much fairer mix of the 'personal' cases for most of the team this season. And ok, yeah, I'm a gigantic unrepentant Mac Whore too.:lol: Sounds like the case may be a little bit personal for Danny too. Interesting that he may have some strong issues with neo-Nazis, I mean obviously most people do, but I love it when Danny gets all pissed off with a bad guy, he's such a bleeding heart usually it's good to see that there are certain criminals for whom he has no sympathy at all - like the ones who mess with kids. Hopefully we'll get some Flack-Danny bonding over the IAB stuff, maybe even some Mac-Danny bonding as the case will be personal to some degree for both of them,

So if Mac's father helped liberate a camp, does that mean he served in WW2? Was liberating the camps something the American military did during WW2? How long were they involved in WW2, fighting the Germans? I know they were fighting the Japanese after Pearl Harbor, but I'm not too clear about their involvement in the war in Europe. Can anyone help?

And are they actually going to make a case about religion/race, as in about.....gasp....diversity? Is this guy who dies Jewish? I know NYC has a sizeable Jewish population, right? I hope we can see that world. It was a big part of a case in the second NY book, and very interesting.

Yahrzeit....I looked it up and it is the commemoration of Jewish person's death by a mourner which is expressed by reciting a Kaddish prayer and lighting a Yahrzeit candle. You light the candle after dark on the evening before the anniversary of the person's death and leave it burning for 24 hours. People also visit the person's grave or fast to mark Yahrzeit.
    http://judaism.about.com/cs/deathandmourning/f/yahrzeit.htm
    Link to info^

I wonder whether Danny offering Hawkes' Lindsay's condolences has to do with Pino? I agree it would be interesting to see how his returning in Point of No Return affects Sid and Hawkes.

Debbie, LOL, get outta my head....not only did we do the same research (we like our research, huh) but I did get very excited reading about Mac's father. I didn't faint, but I did *squee*. LOL, you know me so well!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  6. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

CSI:NY spoilers for the remainder of the season do not inspire hope for a strong finish. I have zero hope that the writers will be able to handle a sensitive, painful subject like the Holocaust with any dexterity. I predict it will be All About Mac(because, you know, we've had so few storylines that focused on him) and not at all about the victim. We'll be subjected to an endless litany of his righteous indignation and his grating sense of moral superiority. In this case, he'll be right to feel morally superior, because Neo-Nazis are pond scum with human genitalia, but that's not saying much. S1 Danny Messer with his gypsy cab hate-on could claim moral superiority over Herr Hitler Juegend, because he had the courage to re-evaluate his feelings. I don't think such a profoundly monstrous period in human history should be used as a backdrop for Mac's--or anyone else's--Daddy issues or personal demons. These writers haven't shown they can be trusted with it. These are the same people who botched the promising but much simpler Blue Flu story, and who can't be arsed to honor the backstories they established five years ago.

As far as Hawkes goes, one line is not enough to go on. I'm sorry, but the writers overtaxed that credit with the Flack, Sr. reference that's been dangling in the fannish consciousness since S1. I can hope that it's a callback to Danny's cryptic comment in S3 about Hawkes needing more shifts. Perhaps a sick relative died.

As for Danny being served with a subpoena...feh. It's bound to be an overwrought, Danny-whoring mess. Whether it's Rikki Sandoval suing him for wrongful death, a disgruntled suspect suing him for assault, or the wronged family from his missed court appearance bringing a civil suit, it'll be all about poor, wronged, woobie Danny. No matter how valid the other party's claims might be, the story and the outcome will be slanted in his favor because he's their prized angst bunny, and because heroes can do no wrong. If there are long-term consequences, they won't be for Danny, or if they are, the victims will be demonized as money-grubbing, vengeance-mad asses out to ruin a good man's life over a "single mistake". Never mind that murderers lodge that protest all the time and aren't granted any quarter.

While I'll be tuning in to see what happens--and to slaver over the Flackpretty--I doubt I'll see much to change my opinion that the show is on a sad, downward creative spiral that has yet to hit rock bottom.

7. Corazon

Corazon Victim

I don't know exactly when the Americans started to participate in WW2 in Europe, but after the Germans capitulated in May 1945, they helped rebuilding democracy in Germany with the help of Britain, France and the Soviet Union.
    Obviously they liberated the camps, too.

8. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

^^ I believe the US got involved after the attacks on Pearl Harbour, so 1941 - 2. I recall from my grandfather that a lot of troops in Europe felt it was a little late in the day, e.g. two years in. At least that's what I inferred from his 'bloody yanks'! comments. Bless him. :lol:

9. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

My history isn't great, but according to the internet (where I now get all my history from) US troops did liberate the camp referred to in this episode. :)

10. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

Interesting developments. I am looking forward to seeing what Sids involvement entails especially after seeing the promo pic with him in it. Really looking forward to seeing more Adam, the pic with him and Mac is adorable.

I don't really see the thing about Mac's dad being a big thing, to me it will be like when he told Hawkes about his dad dying. It will be a nice titbit for us to get but other than that I think it will just be a comment from Mac. I know Gary had family that served in WW2 and his brother in-law was in Viet Nam so its not surprising they have incorporated it into Mac's character as well. Its nice to get these little bits of info about the characters now and again. Now if we could just get some info on Donald Flack Senior...

11. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Well, Pearl Harbour was first thing that drew them into the war, and had them returning the declaration against Japan. Even though Germany also declared war on the US around that time, US did not immediately do the same. Could be wrong but I think that the initial involvement was focused in the Pacific, and aside from supplies, embargoes, and the like, did not begin to become wholesale involved in a military fashion in Africa and Italy until nearer the end of 1942, and then Europe after that; the among the most famous European campaigns started with the Normandy landings in 1944. The United States, several nations of the Allies, were involved in the liberation of several camps in sevaral countries.

What's interesting is whether Mac's father will have been a a Marine or an army officer, I'm sorry I already forget what the spoiler said in that regard. The USMC were far more heavily focused in the Pacific, and fewer of them (fewer than 6000 of them) fought in the African abd European campaigns, though they were definitely involved in many key campaigns. They just often tend to be overshadowed somewhat by the Corp's more concentrated involvement in the Pacific island battles.

I do also agree that WWII can be a delicate thing to handle in less than an hour's screentime, and that it's more often than not oversimplified or polarized into the Righteous and the Not. I won't be surprised that Mac will have inherited a legacy of sorts in being a member of the armed forces with that in mind. If they can retro fit Carmine's Danny to be from a family of cops, they can have that tidbit of Mac's father paralleling some of Gary's family history too I guess. I hope it's onnly tidbits though, and it doesn't turn into a moral crusade type eppie is all.

I'm always incredibly skeptical of IAB type stuff, because persecution eppies, while great and interesting for the actors to dig into, interest me less because we rarely see that really deep internal battle of compromised beliefs, and mostly get Innocent waiting to be Vindicated. And having the perp in question be a neo-nazi type certainly doesn't bode well for how pithy the whole encounter and IAB aftermath could be. Evs. We'll see, I guess.

12. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

I agree that it's nice to get these bits of info. I just hope TPTB don't decide to completely forget the backgrounds of ALL the characters. :shifty:

13. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I'm not holding my breath. :lol:

As far as I can tell, the dead guy isn't Jewish - he hates Jewish people. However, Jewish people are a big part of the episode.

I doubt it, not that long after the episode with Pino (he's in 5.18 and this is 5.22). I'm curious what the real reason will be, and whether this is really just a way to get Hawkes out of way for an episode. (We know Hill has a lot going on in addition to his acting career, and if AJ can get time away to do other stuff, I'm sure Hill could too.)

I actually think they might be able to pull this one off. It all depends on how things translate to the screen, of course, but they might surprise us.

It does seem to be focused on Mac moreso than the other team members, but I guess we'll see if it's all about him. (It would be nice if they did as much to feature the other characters as they're willing to do to feature Mac.)

It didn't indicate what branch of the military Mac's father served in.

Well, they always had the military as part of Mac's backstory, and saying his father also served doesn't really go against anything else we've seen on the show. If anything, it serves to explain why Mac might have joined the military in the first place - so it's adding to his backstory, rather than making it more confusing (Danny Messer, I'm looking at you).

But yeah, overall I'm just waiting to see how this episode unfolds. It could turn out very well, or it could be a total disaster. I'm leaning toward optimism, but I'm sure it'll be a polarizing episode in any case - I'll bet there's going to be a lot of discussion after this one is over.

ETA: Ghawazee sent me a link to this clip from tomorrow's episode - I don't usually watch the videos linked in here, so I dunno if someone has already posted it. Anyway, my point is that I did a quick transcript and thought I'd share it:

[Several shots of NYC at night, with a siren wailing in the background]
    [Shot of the outside of an apartment building, with the sound of someone banging on a door]
    [Scene from "Forbidden Fruit" when Mac broke into Ella McBride's apartment, saw the bloody knife and carried her out of the apartment]
    [Footage of an ambulance, then of Mac carrying Ella in the hospital]
    Mac: I need help. Hurry please, she's bleeding.
    Nurse: What happened here?
    Mac: She tried to kill herself, cut her wrists.
    [Mac places Ella on a rolling bed]
    [Mac watches as they rush Ella away]
    Ella: I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
    [Close on Mac's face]
    Mac voiceover: As I watched them roll her away, all I could think of was, 'How did Ella get to a place where suicide was the only option?'
    [We see that Mac is telling Stella the story as they walk out of a cafe with cups of coffee]
    Stella: But Ella's okay, right?
    Mac: Yeah, she's fine.
    Stella: Mac, this happened what, a month ago? Why didn't you call me or say anything?
    [They sit down at a small table in front of the cafe]
    Mac: It was a crazy night. Ella recovered quickly. All seemed to be fine...
    Stella: But now there's a problem?
    [Mac starts to shrug, but before he can say anything, something falls into Stella's drink, causing a splash]
    Stella: Ah, yuck!
    [Mac looks up to see a bird flying overhead]
    [Stella says something in Greek as she looks in her cup]
    [Mac seems amused]
    [Stella notices what it is]
    Stella: Oh my god.
    [Mac is still smiling]
    Mac: What is it?
    [Stella puts the cup down so Mac can see]
    [Mac's forehead wrinkles]
    [Close on the cup as an eyeball bobs on the surface of the coffee]
    [Mac looks up at Stella]
    Mac: It's an eye.
    [Stella nods]
    [Close on the eyeball]
    [CSI:NY logo - Wednesday 10/9 C]​
    :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  14. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I think they should put subtitles when Stella speaks Greek, I want to know what she's saying.

15. Railynn

Railynn Rookie

I think they are trying to make Mac storyline par ell Gary's real life cause not only has Gary had a bunch of family members serve in the military, like his dad uncles, brother-in-laws etc. One of his brother-in-laws (his wife Moira's oldest brother) that died in Vietnam was named Boyd McCanna Harris. That how his son got the name McCanna (Mac) he was named after his uncle. I found it funny (and not at all a coincidence) that Mac’s father has the exact same name.

I just thought that was a fun fact people may or may not know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.