CSI:NY Season 5 Spoiler Discussion - This City Never Sleeps

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

US troops had some involvement in the liberation of Auschwitz, although it was mainly the Russia - I visited there last year. A place I believe everyone should visit, if only to make sure it never happens again.

2. electra

electra Pathologist

YAY!! Angell is back.Hopefully we will have continuity with the greek storyline with Stella.Those girls kick ass together.Thanks for the spoilers.:thumbsup:

I was greatly surprised with the human traficking storyline so maybe the writers will manage the Holocaust Theme well.D/L is something else but I beleive the writers can still make good stories.

3. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Looked up Buchenwald, and credit for it's discovery and liberation is attributed to four members of the Sixth Armored Division of the US Third Army on April 11, 1945. They apparently encountered a camp already largely in the hands of it's former prisoners, who'd taken it over a few hours prior, killing and hunting some guards as others fled. The four soldiers notified division command to get medical aid and food. On the morning of April 12, 1945, soldiers of the 80th Infantry Division arrived in the nearby town of Weimar, about five miles away.

I agree. I guess what I meant to allude to was the parallel of the writers drawing on details actors' personal/family histories to inform the characters played. I actually don't mind having a few things like that tossed into the mix as a tribute or fun, appreciative nod to the actors, so long as the characters themselves don't lose focus.

I don't think it at all contradicts Mac's character. I think in part that is due to Gary's influence on Mac's identity since his inception, from renaming him Mac Taylor instead of Carlucci, and having him be a Marine veteran at all. Past and present, in Mac's case the parallels made by the writers are at least cohesive. Where Danny's concerned, it's in a manner now conflicting with his character as seen in earlier seasons. I don't suppose we'll ever know at who's instigation that latest bit about the 'family of cops' was included at all.

They've also taken advantage of Melina's Greek language skills and featured them more strongly as part of Stella's character this season, and I think it fits for her. I don't necessarily see why the writers shouldn't take advantage or tap into abilities like that, nor additionally why actors shouldn't have involvement in some material developed with their characters in mind, so long as the characters don't suffer u-turns as a result. Flack's gonna speak gaelic in an upcoming eppie, and Eddie doesn't, so that's one example, and hope at least, that not all characters directly echo certain aspects of those portraying them.

I try to approach each week with optimism :lol: (except perhaps for 5.17). But yeah, I hope it's handled well. And yeah, I bet there will be a lot of discussion. That's usually a good thing.

One ep from NCIS springs to mind as a good handling of a WWII eppie, Call of Silence, which guest starred Charles Durning. S2, I think. That one was well done. Won't be too many comparisons to be made though, as it featured the character of a WWII USMC vet of the Pacific war; I just think it hopefully means a forensics procedural show can be well-written when touching on material involving WWII.

The NY eppie is likely gonna be a little more delicate and complicated though, by default of referencing the holocaust as subject matter at all.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  4. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

mmm Thanks El! I did think it was the Army because if you read (for example) the Shindler list (Condensed as a novel but based on real testimonies) it mentioned at the end when Oskar was already a fugitive their meeting with American Army Troops (well i think so. My memory can betray me) and how they were the first ones to knwo Oskar's story because they read the letter Oskar's workers gave him to protect of being executed

If it is well written it will be a great episodes (May Sweeps?)

ITA they have remarked this season Stella's Greek side but all her sides were emphasized actually
    We had "Rambo Stella", "Pissy Stella" and "Tender Stella" who is capable of kicking several butts in high heels ;) and at the same time to be sensitive around other people as sensitive as she is (Adam, Donnie, Sheldon)

If there is something which prevents me of ranting on this season (I do but not so much as i could) is the way Stella is written and how she is being developed. She only has one storyline line for her but it is very interesting how all are envolved (The Team) and how it allos Melina to show her acting skills. I haven't been so satisfies with this in a long long time :D

Please, correct me but the fact Soviets stayed in the East of Germany (after the world) and American in the West (as two of the four nations) was the foundational stone for the Cold War?????

Regarding 5.16 :D

Fay--> Thanks again! :D The spoiler Angel was Lilou who was so kind to share it with us!!!!!!!! (and we always have good stuff inside teh Smacked Family Thread ;)

And i DO love finally we will have Ella storyline again!(she is interesting as a psycho :D ) and those all scenes between Mac and Stella as they had in S1. Please correct me again but Stella talked to Danny about bending rules (or breaking them) but stil she didn't ask anything yet ???????
    Or Angell will be Stella's confident?? (I do want more social exchanges between them) Stella needs a female buddy!

Debbie :D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Yeah, as long as it adds rather than detracts, I don't personally have a problem with them adding some of the actor's skills and whatnot (a character being able to sing/dance/etc, or some common fact about them that is shared with the character) - it can increase the complexity of the character. So as long as the lines aren't totally blurred, I definitely agree that it's fine. :) Changing where a character is from so they can make jokes about where the actor is from, however...(Danny Messer, I'm looking at you. :rolleyes:)

But it's going to have Bobby. Bobby doesn't fill you with at least a liiiittle bit of optimism? :p I mean, he's Bobby! (Which likely means nothing to most viewers, I know. ;))

I'll be interested to see what happens - something is clearly wrong, as Mac started to imply in that scene, but I'm curious to see just what the problem is. (Aside from him realizing that she's a bit nutso, I mean. :p)

No, I don't think there's been anything between Stella and Danny since she made that comment.

Angell being in the episode with the Greek storyline makes me think she'll probably be involved in that, but I guess we'll see.

6. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

They haven't given any more info about Danny's involvement in the greek storyline, nor even an off cuff remark about it between any of those involved.

There seems to be an on-screen script that we see played out and an off-screen script in the writers' heads, that we're just magically supposed to know about. When asked about Danny not supporting Don, Eddie said (i'm paraphrasing here) that because they are so close, it is safe to assume that happened off screen. But TV doesn't work that way, people will just assume Danny is a brat who takes but doesn't give. The same was done with the Danny / Lindsay relationship, it all happened off screen.

Maybe we viewers are supposed to be having collective dreams about events on CSI:NY, but I guess i'm failing to keep up.

7. Faylinn

I once had a dream that I had travelled to a parallel universe which, oddly enough, was populated by the NY characters. There was an alien invasion. It was all rather odd, actually, and didn't provide any insight into the between-the-episodes goings on. I guess my brain is on the wrong dream channel. :p

8. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

I must have really low self-asteem issues, I'm never in my own dreams. :confused:

9. csimania19

csimania19 Rookie

is it confirmed that angell will be in the 18th ep? well in "the box" the press release stated that she was present in the ep but she wasn't anyway. :confused:

10. Kemy

Kemy Dead on Arrival

Well, does anyone know anything about the season final?
    we were just talking abut it and fount out: one more Mac-the-hero-show was horrible!
    I already thought the last season finale (the bank robbery with the mobile phone and "my family was taken" situation) was a bit too much heroism for a crims show. mac is no god!

11. Faylinn

Good point, csimania19 - I guess we can cross our fingers that they're right about it this time...

It was implied that the Greek storyline might be a big part of the finale (and that Melina might write/co-write it, if I remember correctly), but we don't have any confirmation of that at this point.

12. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

That's interesting! I agree with Elwood, I don't mind that they put in facts from the actors real lives. I personally love the whole military background for Mac, it's a really interesting aspect of his character. At least the stuff about his father actually fits with Mac's backstory as we've seen it so far. I'm guessing we're supposed to see that Mac's name came from his father's middle name, just like with Gary's real son.

I would love to know more about Flack's father too, I know Eddie mentioned a particular actor - Brian Dennehy (sp?) right? - that he would like for the role. I loved, loved, loved the little insights into Flack family history that we got in 'Dead Inside'. It would be great if they got a case that his dad had worked on, or been involved in somehow. Or if Sam got mixed up in something bad and Daddy Flack appeared. We do know he 'washed his hands' of Sam, and that Flack gave him a hard time over it...

I don't think Yahrzeit will necessairily be all about Mac, 'Dead Inside' gave some really interesting insights into Flack's past but it wasn't all about Flack. There was the case, and then Flack's story. The info about Mac's father will most likely just be a tidbit (though a very interesting one) that Mac confides to someone. I guess it might add to his disdain for racists/neo-Nazis but then Mac and all the team would be disgusted by neo-Nazis, regardless of their personal histories.
    If the team will be interrogating neo-Nazi suspects, I would personally love to see Mac and Flack go at them in interrogation - Mac giving the Marine Death Glare and Flack riling them up with snarky comments and getting in their face.

I am optimistic about the Holocaust issue, I think the writers should be able to handle it right. *crosses fingers* I've never had a problem with the use of 9/11 as part of either cases or as a major part of Mac's backstory, and they seem to have done okay with the human trafficking issue too.

Thanks to all of you who provided the info on the American military in Europe in WWII.:bolian: I

13. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

OMG I love Eddie even more, the man has great taste. Brian Dennehy....as Donald Flack Senior....would be bloody perfect......Brian is an amazing actor. Now if Eddie can just convince TPTB.

14. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Do we know what got Danny in trouble with IAB?

I'm happy about the Mac stuff :)

15. Faylinn

I don't know exactly what happens to get him in trouble with IAB, but I do know it apparently has something to do with the neo-Nazi guy. That doesn't explain anything, but it's all I know at this point. I'll be curious to see what happens with that storyline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.