Why Lindsay Must Go (Part 3)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormymac

stormymac Hit and Run

My favorite part is her/his/its name. I looked up the phrase "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition says "To imitate someone is to pay the person a genuine compliment—often an unintended compliment."

See Top, everybody loves you, even if some of them don't realize it. ;)

2. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

Since we're being all extra childish here.....

Poof, begone,
    Your breath is Too Strong,
    No wait, come back,
    Here's a Tic Tac,
    I don't mean to be mean,
    But you need some Listerine,
    Not a sip, not a swallow,
    but the Whole Dang Bottle.

You know, it would have been nice if YOU had found something original to say other than "Wahhh! You're picking on Precious, Special Anna Belknap!"

Bored Now.

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^I think the fact that nothing more was said kind of proves our points. :lol: We should move on, and not feed the troll.

That really sums it up, doesn't it? It really hits on my issues with the character. Lindsay is incredibly immature and selfish, and Belknap's performance doesn't have any depth to it to give us reason to see beyond Lindsay's immaturity, or what's behind it.

And she hasn't been anything other than Danny's love interest since the end of season three. She hasn't had a single storyline devoted to anything other than their relationship since then. Damage control I guess.... :lol:

4. privatename

privatename Rookie

I hadn't really noticed this myself, but thinking back, you are right. Lindsay hasn't really had many stories except for those that revolve around the D/L fiasco. I do like to think it is because the writers and TPTB have realized that she is the weak link in a wonderful cast and that they have really boxed themselves into a corner when it comes to the character by including this ridiculous pregnancy storyline.

I agree the less of her the better and I also couldn't agree more that others are so much more deserving of storylines than Lindsay. I hope Lindsay takes a really long maternity leave from the lab.

5. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

It isn't even that she is selfish and immature. Dr. Romano was that way on ER, and he was one of my favorite characters, simply because of the way he was written-he was the guy everyone loved to hate. The difference with Lindsay is that I don't think she is supposed to come across as selfish or immature at all-its the way she is being presented. Paul McCrane(the actor) knew that Dr. Romano was supposed to be an ass, and so that was the personality he gave the character. I really don't think Anna Belknap had or has any idea who the character really is or what she is supposed to be like, and so her ambiguous portrayal of her is what is really frustrating.

To me that only demonstrates how useless her character is...she has definately run her course. Any story for her now will most likely involve Danny or the baby in danger, and her waiting around worrying until they are rescued. Yawn.

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Ok, so, I *heart* Wilson Cruz, and I came across an interview from a few years ago - he mentioned that he doesn't memorize his lines, instead he rehearses until he gets it down. Anyway, the comment that stood out to me was this:

Sounds kind of familiar to me.

(The interview is here, just for reference purposes.)

7. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^Yeah, that really is how Anna delivers her lines--as if she's memorized them...and that's it. I know a lot of the expo can be hard to get down, but there's just no depth to her reading at all. It's like she has a formula: script + one emotion the character is supposed to be feeling = reading. It's supposed to be a bit more complicated than that. :lol:

Good point. If Lindsay were intended to be a prissy little know-it-all who gets taken down a few pegs and changes during the course of the show, I might not mind her so much. Danny is immature, too, but he's meant to be that way and suffers for it. Whereas Lindsay, who is just as immature, especially in the way she approaches her relationship with Danny, just coasts on by. No one ever takes her to task for it like Mac, Stella and Flack have in the past with Danny.

Yeah, agreed. She's got almost no role now, which would actually be fine...if it didn't feel like she was robbing Danny of more interesting storylines.

8. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

I really can't see where they can go with this baby story without making both characters look worse than they already do, they've definately painted themselves into a corner. I can't see many viewers really caring whether they can cope well with a baby and a career, too many people have to do that everyday, it's a non-story.

Any future Danny in trouble stories now make him seem selfish rather that over eager and overthinking. That is an intrinsic part of his makeup and wouldn't just go away, he needs to please and sometimes badly judges how he can achieve that.

Lindsay does best when in the 'music video' bit in the middle of the show, when she doesn't have to speak. Sorry, but it's true IMHO.

9. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

Haha, so true. If thats all the role she has in the show, I really wouldn't care...

It is sad to think though that this storyline has pretty much ruined Lindsay beyond all repair, and is taking Danny down with it. What else can they do with two characters that are married and have a kid? I don't want to have their purpose in every episode to be making lovey dovey faces at each other or talking about the baby...Danny's character is so much deeper than that and still had so much potential, and now he's having his legs taken out from under him just to prop up a useless character with a useless storyline...

10. electra

electra Pathologist

One of the things that bothers me about Lindsay is that she brings Danny down.She was my favorite and now I FF his scenes.She should stay in Montana and leave Danny alone.

11. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

They already seem to have inserted several 'Now Danny looks lovingly at Lindsay as she explains something routine' scenes since the Big Reveal. :rolleyes:

12. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

Did not post in this thread for a while now. Basically this whole thing smells bad fanfiction to me. I remember reading one last year that resembled what is happening now and back then I though they would never do that. Well.. there you go.

Indeed they did, and oh yes, how much I agree on the fact that I do not want to see that kind of scenes in the next episodes.

It feels like one of those childhood games, when you played with dolls for hours and hours and at some point you think to yourself "Oh! This has gone too far now". I just ignore the baby stuff now, it just doesn't seem right. In the beginning, while Lindsay will be on maternity leave, and Danny has to work, you'll hear Danny whine, being tired, diapers everywhere, and I don't want to be picky, but the cases were already sloppy and the review threads are full of observations and points that are missing from the cases, when will they cram good cases, and baby story line in 40 minutes?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  13. 11krage

11krage Dead on Arrival

Until recently I didn't really watch CSI new york, it was in catching a few of the newest ones that I actually begun to think that the show might be worth watching, since before that I was a hardcore only watch csi vegas junkie. When I saw lindsey and heard her act I felt a lot of the things expressed in this thread. Theres something off about her acting, it doesn't seem natural enough like she's forcing it and needs to relax a bit. It grates when she tries a joke, or to convey a deep emotion.

However, puzzling enough I've started watching the episodes from the beginning, currently up to season 2 epsiode 14. So far she's doing a really good job this episode, taken a few stabs at danny and it all seems very natural. Completely different to when she attempts a laugh on the newest ones. In fact up to episode 12, season 2 I noticed no problems with her portrayal of the charater (though maybe a less flexable acting seems more natural on a rookie?).

Acting hiccups aside, being the second half of danny would be a very dangerous position for any actor. Fan girls are going to pick at any hole in the charater or actor. The fact that there are some questions about her acting means that it looks very bad for lindsay's future.

I'm not sure she can go on like she is. The solutions however are a bit dire. I think if they were to find a way to end the charater they should do it the best way possible for the charater and the show. Her leaving would just be a let down, I think the best way would be a dramatic death, preferably with a neat spin on it. Something that uses danny's brilliant portrayals of emotion to its best advantage, so no matter how you felt about her you still feel sad she's dead.

I also think keeping the baby around afterwards, and maybe a few 'seems like happily ever after' scenes before the dramatic event would really give the writers the drama they crave. After all, not much is as heart jerking as a grieving despondent male having to raise a baby and work and wondering how on earth he can even manage to get up in the morning (see the movie 'Jack and Sarah' for a example).

14. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

A lot of people who dislike the character have said they didn't mind her or even liked her in S2. It seems S3 with the poorly written "dark secret" and the actress' inability to handle deeper story lines are what made people dislike her. Then you add changing Danny's character to try and fit with hers and that pretty much solidified the character as irredeemable.

I love that idea. Good Danny drama combined with Lindsay never being on the show again is a win-win in my book. Everything about the character since S3 has been more about Danny anyway so it would make sense to have her death revolve around Danny too.

15. csifangurl

csifangurl Hit and Run

You know, I really tried to like Lindsay, I really did. But she never really gave me a reason to like her. She just seems flat and 1 demenstional (which of course she is, isn't she? :rolleyes:)

The writers have really screwed up with her. Plus, Anna Belknap isn't not the world's best actress. She is no good an anything emotional.

And her big, dark secret, was as lame as it gets. One thing I really don't like about her character is how bossy/whiney she is.

Like in "Manhattan Manhunt" when she had a mini fit when Mac told her to go back to the lab to process evidence. It was like she thought doing so was somehow beneath her or something. I mean, it was all hands on deck and everyone had to do their part to help catch the guy, and she whines about processing evidence instead of staying at the crime scene. :rolleyes:

And now with the whole baby thing. Ugh. :scream: I hate what has become of Danny because of her. Yes I think the scene of him reading the comic to the baby was cute, but still, the whole thing is just one big mess.

I really wish that when the baby does come, Lindsay somehow disappears from the show. It would be interesting if Danny had to raise it on his own. Or what if she took off with it after?

Wouldn't surprise me if she did.

I really don't get what TPTB were thinking in creating this entire storyline. It just seems so false and forced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.