The 30 and Over Club

Thanks for that! I actually flicked through a few pages and read them in the bookstore, and coincidentally I totally got the "Mary Sue" vibe just from the snippet. Sounds like your friend may be on the right track.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll eventually see the film, but hopefully I won't have to invest any $$'s in it! :lol: Oh, one thing though- I really like Catherine Hardwicke, the director, so I was a bit surprised to see she was doing this movie? Seems a little commercial for her.

Yeah I bought the paperback, it was on sale for $10.00..

I'm getting the "Mary Sue" vibe. I thought it was just me..

Anyone ever read the VC Andrews series as a kid..since these books came out in the late 70s early 80s, I figure this thread is fine..talk about Mary Sue!!

The first book, Twilight was fine but the second (New Moon) and third books (Eclipse) are really, really horrible. Stephenie Meyer did a superb job with the first book but my, in the second and third books, Bella Swan was just too self-centered and effing annoying that if she were real I'd have slapped her. It's a good thing that my niece just lent me the books and that I hadn't bought the series. Yeah, no need to hurry with reading this series. As for the movie, I'll be seeing it tomorrow since I promised my niece. Can't back out. :p

VC Andrews? I've read Flowers in the Attic and found it very disturbing, so I got turned off reading her books.

Anybody here remember the summer camp movie Poison Ivy with Michael J. Fox and Nancy McKeon?

Yeah, I've read a few VC Andrews novels, but I can't remember which ones... Is she still writing? I saw the movie version of Flowers in the Attic as well. Don't remember too much about it though.

I vaguely remember Poison Ivy... The one I loved (besides Meatballs) was "Little Darlings" with Tatum O'Neil and Kristy MacNichol. Oh, and Matt Dillon! :lol:

VC Andrews is dead - but someone is writing still under the name. I guess taking uncompleted works and finishing them - that kind of stuff.

I read VC Andrews books. I even saw the movie Flowers in the Attic
It was kind of creepy if you think about it, I guess I was to young to get the brother/sister thing. :eek:

I read VC Andrews books. I even saw the movie Flowers in the Attic
It was kind of creepy if you think about it, I guess I was to young to get the brother/sister thing. :eek:

Oh definitely creepy. I read the book and saw the film in high school. I had to do a book report and compare it with the movie. Definitely, the most disturbing book I had to read for my high school Lit class.

I was going to say that I've only recently heard about Twilight. I'm a huge vampire movie, story fan, but I think I might wait until it comes out on dvd.

I just saw the film. My sister asked me if I liked it and I said it was just okay. Nothing really great since as I had told her I was no longer a teenage girl. :p Definitely, just wait for the DVD to come out.

Anyone remember The Greatest American Hero? :lol: He lost the instruction book for the suit or would sometimes forget it entirely. :guffaw: I loved that show. One of my friends in high school even signed my yearbook, "Don't forget to bring the suit!" :lol:

Haha, I remember that show and I even still remember the theme song Believe or Not. I'd hear the song every now and then on the radio! :lol:

Anyone remember or have the toy Alphie? My hubby is just a year younger than me and has never heard of it. It was my favorite toy when I was little!

Anyone remember The Greatest American Hero? :lol: He lost the instruction book for the suit or would sometimes forget it entirely. :guffaw: I loved that show. One of my friends in high school even signed my yearbook, "Don't forget to bring the suit!" :lol:

I never watched this (my folks were TV nazis) but my husband loved it! He laughed for days when he saw the Seinfeld episode where George's answering machine sings, in George's voice, "Believe it or not, George isn't at home, please leave a message after the beeeep . . . I am not here or I'd pick up the phone. Where could I be? Believe it or not, I'm not home!"

ETA: I *do* remember Alphie - had to look it up! We had one, though I think it belonged to my younger brother Jon. Here's a link. Actually, I think that whole site might be interesting.

Last edited:
I loved that reference in Seinfeld! :lol:

Went to dinner tonight with my brother and his wife, and she said on the way over in the car he suddenly burst out singing the old "Lite Brite" commercial for no reason. LOL...."Lite Brite making things with liiiiiiight....what a sight making things with Lite Brite!"

She always says you can tell he and I are related. :lol:

Wow, I do not remember Alfie. I had a Speak n' Spell though and I LOVED it. :)

I used to love The Greatest American Hero. Awesome show. I just saw a Family Guy a couple weeks ago that did a spoof on it too. Too funny.

I like some of the old games that have managed to remain faves too- like Twister. That game is still a hoot.

Back