Episode 7x09 - 'Power Trip' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Welcome Smasha! It's great to have you! Spoiler codes aren't specifically required as was said above, this thread is clearly marked with a spoiler warning but some choose to use it as a courtesy until every time zone has seen it. If this were a regular unmarked thread, then I would advise using the spoiler code for the next couple of hours.

I thought this episode was way better than last week, although I called the ending. It wasn't a huge surprise that Reggie was the one behind at least one of the killings. Such a shame too, that he had to off someone to prove who he thought the killer was and that person was chosen just because she had a hard/undesirable lifestyle? :wtf: It had that cliché "no one was going to miss her" vibe about it which made me rather unsympathetic to Reggie. Maybe if he's going to do that, he should make sure he has the right killer in line to be caught.

Anyway, though I do understand why he did it, it's not something I'm about to jump to the pump to condone in any fashion. Maybe Horatio should take note? Because that seems to be the next step for him if he's going to saunter down this dark dark path after killing Riaz (in self defense, admitedly), the gang member with the machete and rearranging the rapist's face. Who's to say Horatio won't take his crime fighting nature to the extreme like Reggie at some point? Maybe he won't cross that line completely or maybe he will but the similarities/differences between Reggie and Horatio stuck out in my mind during the episode. And showing the two back to back in the interrogation room solidified it for me.

Ryan provided some really great comic relief, even if it was only for a couple of seconds. I really wish they would add some more of it in because it's golden and Jon does it so well. :) There's so much potential for great banter. It's going on my Christmas Wish List. :p

I didn't think we'd see so much of Eric's motel room. :eek: The room definitely tells a lot about him, especially with the prescription drugs on the table. Agreed with what some said above, it looks like he's carrying out doctor's orders and taking something for his condition.

Frank finally had more to say this episode than 'I'll call patrol' or some sarcastic remark to push in comic relief. (which is great but there's a character under there, I know it :p) He kind of reminds how closely-knit the department is and everyone's almost like family instead of simply being co-workers. Would have been a perfect episode to slip in Stetler but there was a lot going on already.

It bummed me out that the case didn't connect to one year before season 1, but instead a case from last year. :scream: I hate when they change things like that because it would have been cool. Oh well. It was a great episode to me anyway.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  2. ladyd10

ladyd10 Police Officer

I loved this episode. It was a little different from the norm. Not beautiful rich people being murdered, but every day citizens of Miami. What was that whole cancer thing with the one that got away? Overdone if you ask me and, since we're posting opinions here, you did.

I liked the emotional tenseness in the episode. Eric and Calleigh squabbling and then after Reggie cornered her in the elevator, she begins to agree with Eric, so much so that it knocks her off her emotional game and lets her inner turmoil slip to Valera.

I loved Frank in this episode. Oh, heck I just love Frank. He's such an honest and straightforward character. I'd love to see him get not only an episode, but a series of them over the course of a season. He hasn't had an episode to himself since the second season. I enjoy the interaction between him and the other characters. Whenever Rex Linn is interviewed he always says that he wants to have an affair with Calleigh. That cracks me up but the actors have a really great chemistry and so do the characters. You can tell there is mutual respect but there is a whole lot of playfuness and fun working beneath the surface. And Frank and Ryan! Fantastic! So, okay I'm part of the Frank Tripp fan club.....

Eric without a shirt and wet to top it off. Yeah, I could get used to seeing that every day. Where can I sign up to be the towel girl in his bathroom? I noticed the pill bottles, too and can only surmise that they hold his meds that he'll probably have to be on for the rest of his life after the bullet buried itself in his brain. Yeah, I think that he's already in the motel to set it up for the DeLuca Motel. I knew a guy named Gene DeLuca once.....anyway, that's thinking ahead for you. Hey, did anyone know that Adam Rodriguez has a degree in Education from NYU?

Okay, Nyquil is beginning to garble my thoughts. G'night.

3. Smasha

Smasha Victim

Thanks for the Welcomes, all.
    I'll go straight to the spoiler page after I'm done writing this so I can get more insight on Delko. Honestly, I've just not been paying attention to him. The only character I really really care about is Ryan. (Ahem. Hence the shirtless comment.)
    We should make a petition to get Jon to show a little more skin. And more humor. He's extremely funny.

And the nephew thing! That didn't even occur to me, I completely forgot. Since we pretty much don't know anything about Ryan. (He only gets like, 4 scenes an epi.... I even counted tonight.)
    Well now that makes sense. I was worried that perhaps there was a random Love Child that Ryan had that we knew nothing about, but the writers decided to slip in. (They seem to do that a lot!)

Is it just me, or are the episodes just frustrating? The whole show is so frustrating to me. Not enough science or realism or character. Blergh! But I think there's still time for it to improve.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

No, that was his niece (Calleigh said neice anyway) that he had Calleigh pick up the Ipod for. But, there's nothing that says he can't also have a nephew. However, if you really want to know who the kid is:
    The little boy is the son of Ryan's gambling sponsor at Gambling Anonymous. In an upcoming episode, Mark (the boy's dad) gets into some trouble when he gets back into gambling. I'm guessing that Ryan will have to protect the boy from the thugs after Mark or something. However, I'm hoping against hope that Mark will turn out to be Ryan's brother-in-law making little Billy be Ryan's nephew. :) In an interview with tv guide not too long ago, Eva La Rue (Natalia) stated that we'd meet some members of Ryan's family soon. And she said this while talking about tonight's episode. So, that's why I'm assuming that Billy might be Ryan's nephew.

Okay, tonight's eppy comments:

Ryan's smile when he waved to Billy was adorable. Loved it. :D

Why doesn't Nat get called to the crime scene? :sigh:

No one-liner tonight? Strange.

Ew- Reggie's tie!

Ryan's outfit= yum and :drool:

Frank's tie is actually pretty nice for a change. :lol:

Calleigh doesn't take crap from Reggie. You go, girl!

"What does a girl do before a date?"
    "Make me wait in the living room with her cat." :guffaw: Have I mentioned that I love you, Ryan? :lol:

Reggie killed a girl just to close a case? That's just stupid.

It's Jessica's fiance who is the killer. No surprise there. I realized that the minute they showed her first flashback of her attack and we heard him speak.

I guess Frank told H that Reggie committed suicide.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  5. luf100

luf100 Coroner

A Ryan lover! Muhahaa. Join the club.

I have nothing else at all to contribute to this thread. I just wanted to recognize a Ryan fan. :p

6. delkosgirl88

delkosgirl88 Hit and Run

Wow I loved the beginning of tonight's episode. Seeing Eric in just a towel was HOT. :drool: That scene definitely left me breathless. I also loved the little clips of the CSI's personal lives. We rarely, if ever, get to see any of our CSI's personal lives.

7. Smasha

Smasha Victim

:lol:
    GregNickRyanFan I agree. The smile he does and the little wave was SO adorable.
    And thanks for the insight on the kid.
    You know how the comments are though about the show. People are always saying something and then it turns out different, or isn't even mentioned at all come episode time!

But don't we meet Eric's family in a later episode? So maybe that's what changes? It's not Ryan's family but rather Eric's, and they'll just brush off Ryan's "kid" completely. They do that a lot. Why give Jon lots of air time when they can give it to Adam? Jon hasn't had decent air time in a LONG time. So I'm hoping that the story with the kid and whatever is going to happen just so we can see some more Ryan.

And yes. I'm a HUGE Ryan/Jonathan fan. Huge. Massive. Epic. :adore::D

8. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

Eric in a towel! This epi sounds promising.
    Im glad that it showed that they had personal lives, even if it was only very briefly.

Smasha- You will have to pop into the Ryan thread, we are nice, promise!

9. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

Wow! I must say that in a long time I finally like the episode again!

I really liked the case and the reason of the dude committing the crimes.. the reason behind reggies actions.. although he might have acted a bit better!

I also liked the beginning and the ending of the episode. Finally! I hope they do more like this. Because I was about to give up on CSI: Miami...

I so wonder about that kid with Ryan!

10. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I really enjoyed this episode :).

I LOVED the opening scene with them getting their work call. It's great to have a bit more of their personnal lives like it's been mentioned.

I completely agree with this. Calleigh's wall are really breaking down and it's beginning to notice. The only thing I would've liked is for her to go back to Eric and tell him he had been right or something to that effect.

I thought the elevator scene was great and very intense. Cal's face expression was perfect throughout the whole thing.

Tara... she had my appreciation at the beginning, now... not so much. IDK, she's kind of getting on my nerves.

Good episode overall :)

Oh and :guffaw: at the constipated look. It's so true :guffaw: :lol:

11. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

I thought this episode was outstanding. I give it an A for sure. And at least IAB was finally mentioned. They DO still exist. And this ep was written by the same writing team who wrote "Ambush." *glances at avi and sig pic*. So, so far, I like this ep and "Wrecking Crew" the best. And I hope Stetler is on his way. I'm thinking he'll be in the one about the racetrack. All fans of Stetler desperately need a Stetler fix.

I'm trying to think of everything I liked about "Power Trip." I wish I had recorded it. *sigh* The beginning was great. The ending was great. As in well done great. Not great that Reggie did what he did. Oh, but another thing I found very interesting was the way, when Horatio was talking to Reggie near the end, they were sitting with their backs to each other. That was different. It had a certain style. And I liked that music at the beginning, too. Everything was great about this ep, except that Rick wasn't in it, and easily could have been, and the wardrobe is just too designer-y. But, the plot of this episode was compelling and kept me glued to the screen.

12. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

Woo! Come join the club! Or cult, depending on how you look at it....

13. SkittlezPony

SkittlezPony Victim

So I liked this episode. I really enjoyed the Eric shower and half naked scene but then again I simply enjoy any scene with Eric in it. Ive been holed up writing papers for school for the past week so I hadnt seen any previews or read any spoilers so I didnt even know what the episode was going to be about.
    :drool::drool::drool::drool:= me when I saw Eric in the shower :lol:
    I had a feeling that there was something not right about that detective from the beginning and had a feeling he was involved. The elevator scene with him and Calleigh was kinda creepy.

14. SkittlezPony

SkittlezPony Victim

Im a total lover of all things to do with Eric and Calleigh. I whish they would continue something along those lines. I thought for sure after Calleigh read Erics notes where he said he wanted to settle down with her that something more would come of it. I dont want them to just be thrown into a relationship either but Im dying here waiting to see if anythings ever gonna happen with them.

15. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

Oh duh, Megan. I knew that, I guess I was having a brain fart. :lol:

Thanks for the additional info though GregNickRyanFan, that really explains a lot.