Episode 7x09 - 'Power Trip' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

I thought the position (H and Reggie back to back) was odd. Even a parent scolding a child idea doesn't cut it for me. The staging simply didn't work.
It would have been fine if we new more about Reggie and had invested more personal emotion in to his character. Say if Reggie had been in an episode or two before. As it was, it simply looked "off."

I thought the position (H and Reggie back to back) was odd. Even a parent scolding a child idea doesn't cut it for me. The staging simply didn't work.

you haven't been scolded in my house LOL!! My mom would holler and that was the last she would look at either my brother or I until we were ready to apologize.

Sorry - guess I get it - it didn't seem off to me at all. I guess I'm just not into picking apart every single detail of the show as many of you folks are. It didn't make any difference to the outcome of the story except to show that both men felt pretty darn bad about the events and their participation in them. It was pretty apparent to me that H felt rotten knowing a colleague realized he just threw his entire career away when he didn't need to - and that really hit home when Frank appeared on scene obviously to inform Horatio that Reggie killed himself.

I'm just not into all this pick things apart - can't ya just enjoy the show for what it is and cut H some slack? Poor guy... Mr. Caruso does a stellar job with this character and he can't catch a break... demanding fans...:scream:

arcadian7 said:
Sorry to rag but it seems most people on this board bash poor Horatio instead of looking deep into his character, which is so intense. If David is infusing a little John Kelly into Horatio, then why not? People have been ragging on how robotic he has been so now H is showing some life again and people STILL are ragging on him. What does it take to satisfy these terribly demanding fans? SHEESH!!!

If by mentioning John Kelly, you were referring to my above post where I mentioned NYPD Blue, it wasn't to rag on him. I enjoyed the John Kelly character and I loved the way David Caruso portrayed him and I also enjoy the way he portrays Horatio 95% of the time. (he's my favourite character next to Speed) It was simply pointing out a similarity which I found to be amusing and frankly quite refreshing, it wasn't to bust on him for it. I sometimes joke out of love, really. ;)

If some don't like a particular character, so what? You do and that's all that should matter. :) Besides, people aren't going to be satisfied all the time either way and this board caters to both sides of the penny opinion-wise. If people want to talk about Delko's hunky bod, we're not going to censor it. (assuming it stays PG-13 ;)) Alternatively, if some want to evaluate the characters' psyches and actions, (either way) that's absolutely fine too.

I'm just not into all this pick things apart - can't ya just enjoy the show for what it is and cut H some slack? Poor guy... Mr. Caruso does a stellar job with this character and he can't catch a break... demanding fans...:scream:

If we couldn't nitpick, we'd explode. :p That's just the nature of messageboards and passionate fans--even if the opinions aren't always for the positive.

It was pretty apparent to me that H felt rotten knowing a colleague realized he just threw his entire career away when he didn't need to - and that really hit home when Frank appeared on scene obviously to inform Horatio that Reggie killed himself.

Agreed. I think any death (career and otherwise) that could have been prevented hits him pretty hard because he's naturally empathetic but knowing that it was a police officer was probably twice as hard to swallow. He's seen a lot of officer deaths ('The Oath', 'Dispo Day', 'Lost Son', 'From The Grave', etc. to name a few) and it's obvious to me at least that he has a great deal of loyalty toward them. Probably not so much in the same way as Tripp but there's definitely a 'family' vibe with him.

I like seeing Horatio's empathetic side, it was nice to see in this episode. Not that I don't enjoy when he wields a gun and takes down the bad guy but I much prefer to be let in on what's underneath.

Enhinti said:
It would have been fine if we new more about Reggie and had invested more personal emotion in to his character. Say if Reggie had been in an episode or two before. As it was, it simply looked "off."

Yeah, it would have been neat to get to know him a bit before they used him as a plot device. There was obviously a history there from the get-go but it was hard for me to sympathize with him as the characters are an essential part of what makes this show watchable. I was commenting to my sister as we were watching that it would have been great to see Frank in that position instead of Reggie but they were about to soil poor Reg's reputation a tad and probably didn't want to go that route with a main character.

Last edited:
I thought it was odd too. I actually thought at first that it was one of Miami's strange "photoshop" scenes. I thought Horatio was in front of Reggie and it was just a weird scene done in a stupid way. I didn't even realize he was sitting like that until they both got up and Reggie was led away.

arcadian7 I don't think anyone here is really bashing Horatio. We all love Miami, and to love Miami you kinda have to have some sort of liking to Horatio even if you're not a huge fan of him. All the charcacters are picked on at some point or another. I see what you mean about people picking things apart, but once all the big and obvious things are talked about you gotta find the tiny things that don't even matter to talk about. :p

It's all in the presentation - I'm very passionate about H because he's got so much to offer, DC has been dragged through the ringer when he deserves far more credit than is given, and 99% of the time the posts about him are rag posts. Sorry folks, didn't mean to seem like a party pooper... yes, I can take a good ribbing and my posts were not to be snobbish and unfortunately I can't show you I was actually giggling as I was typing - a serious drawback to this impersonal form of communication...

As for Delko - I have nothing against his bod... he's obviously working hard to stay fit, but it does get tiring to receive a dozen posts about it when it seemed pointless to mention it over and over again... I do get it! Really, I do!!

This message board is a lot of fun - don't take me wrong. I was elsewhere and wow - it was cut throat... at least we can play and be friends despite differing opinions...

you haven't been scolded in my house LOL!! My mom would holler and that was the last she would look at either my brother or I until we were ready to apologize.

Yikes!
That isn't what I meant at all!
I was only saying that H doesn't have a parent/child relationship with Reggie as to warrant that kind of stagging.
If it was Ryan or Eric or someone else whom H is more of a father figure to, or if it was Kyle or Ray Jr. it would have worked. Reggie is not a son to H.
The episode did a good job at establishing a friend/co-worker/superior type relationship, which is great. It did not, however, nor could it establish a father and son relationship in the span of 45 minutes.
If Reggie had been in the show once or twice before, we would have been able to see a more father/mentor type from H towards Reggie. As it was only one episode, the scene felt "off."
This has nothing to do with Caruso's acting!
It is an error in the staging.

I don't mean father/son in that H was attempting to BE a father to Reg - just that he might have been drawing upon those kinds of behaviors as Reg's superior... it was just an interpretation of what I saw...

so besides the "staging error" and Horatio sounding like John Kelly and Eric's buff bod, was there a scene in this epi that really stood out to you folks?

I really found the end tugging at my heartstrings big time... having to confront a colleague in the interrogation room as a criminal and not your colleague any longer... that was painful...

I actually liked the "position?" of Horatio in the final scene with Reggie, it was a nice change from the usual H standing over the suspect & giving them the "you are wrong" head-cocked death glare.

My impression of Reggie's "confession" in the interrogation room immediatly made me think of Horatio's own actions, & I do believe H may have felt the similarities there as well, just not to the degree that Reggie took things.
I think the "back-to-back seating arrangement" showed that Horatio felt enough sympathy to sit with him (on the same level, so to speak) but the fact that he had his back turned meant that he was also unable to condone Reggie's actions.

That's how I looked at it anyhow. :)

On another note, I didn't like the fiance being the killer. There was no story on him as to why he wanted those girls to "feel his pain" & why he picked those girls in particular - it seemed out of nowhere.

I did enjoy Reggie hanging himself (sorry :alienblush:) but I thought it was great to see a darker side of Miami.

Your right. There wasn't much time on the fiance.
I never suspected the fiance because there was so little time spent on him and he seemed to be genuinely in love. I suspected that Max Purdue guy because Reggie believed that Max was guilty.

That 'position' was weird to me at first but then I just gave in to the moment; the cop was going to jail. That's harsh, altough he was wrong, he was a good cop at heart. Calleigh and Frank knew that, but right after the elevator scene Cal. knew something was up. After I watched the whole epi, I went back and watched the elevator scene and understood why Reggie's words 'stare a murderer in the face...' were slurred. I like how Calleigh showed some emotion in front of Valera. Believe it of not that woman is becoming more normal than she ever was.

I like when Natalia said 'What does a woman do before her date?' and Ryan said 'Make your wait in the living room with her cat.':lol:

I like how Calleigh and Eric had their difference and they weren't afraid to keep their own opinion to themselves.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that first scene with Eric in the shower. I've watched it like 5 times. There were boxes, Chinese take out, pills, gun, the whole place was a mess! But right before the camera went up to the shower I saw a guitar in the corner of the room. I think Adam can play, but Eric, I didn't know.

I forgot that the scene with the 'position' of Horatio was to show how he understood where Reggie was coming from and that he was sad about him going to jail. It was also like a conversation with a friend, not just any suspect H wanted to fling in jail and get it over with. H felt sorry for him.

I rate this episode 4/5 it was cool! I think the reason for Ryan and Eric not getting much screen time this time is cause their personal episodes are coming up and will have alot of them in there.

On another note, I didn't like the fiance being the killer. There was no story on him as to why he wanted those girls to "feel his pain" & why he picked those girls in particular - it seemed out of nowhere.

I did enjoy Reggie hanging himself (sorry :alienblush:) but I thought it was great to see a darker side of Miami.
I agree completely. The fiance thing bothered me. Doesn't it seem like more often than not the fiance/spouse/boyfriend of a victim is either the killer or had done something else horrible? I was enjoying the fiance because he seemed to genuinely care about his lady, especially when he freaked out on Reggie. But then out of nowhere he's this sadistic phsyco killer. It just had no foundation.

I too thought the hanging was, for lack of a better word, good. We don't really see that type of thing on Miami and it's a good reminder that the even cops lose it sometimes. It's actually probably a more realistic storyline, simply because of the jobs that homicide detectives have to do. Can you imagine having to confront all that evil every day of your life? Reggie must have been tortured to know that because he never closed the case, more women are dead. It was definetly a good move by the writers.

I love Ryan! He's so funny. I also enjoyed his scene with Calliegh and Frank. I like that he kind of sided with Calliegh and made Frank see that Reggie could've and was involved in that woman's death.

OK- like this eppi very much. Great opener:would certainly love to see more openers like that-Like Horatio rolling out of bed ,hair tousled...Nice twists but wish we'd ever seen this Reggie guy before now. LOVE that position at the end with Horatio-kind of like Horatio was sitting in a confessional and listening to Reggie go on and on and not condoning it but understanding and trying to let this guy go knowing it wouldn't end well with a cop in jail mostly they get beat up daily don't they? Inmates and guards won't like him too much I think...Love that it was Sgt Tripp telling Horatio at the end about Reggie and how they interposed all the images. Not too graphic but told it without words the pictures of Reggie's tormented face and resignation on his shoulders. Cal in great shape-running combats some depression and work stress so maybe that's helping her work related stuff...

Your right. There wasn't much time on the fiance.
I never suspected the fiance because there was so little time spent on him and he seemed to be genuinely in love. I suspected that Max Purdue guy because Reggie believed that Max was guilty.

I knew it was the fiance from the moment the attacker's voice was heard in his fiancee's flashback. Not that it really sounded the same, but I dunno... I guess I just watch too many of these types of shows and tend to figure most of them out. Most of the time the killers are predictable to me and this was another one of those times. It actually reminded me of a tv movie I saw once. There just had to be a reason that the attacker didn't kill this girl when he killed the last two. I guess they begged for their lives which gave him more power, but she refused to give him the satisfaction and that caused him to fall in love with her. :lol: Twisted mind, that guy had. He falls in love with the one who doesn't give him power over her. haha. I knew it wasn't Max because that was just too easy and Reggie was the red herring, though I knew he would turn out to have killed the last vic cause she was different and didn't fit the killer's MO. The killer didn't go after girls who'd been in trouble with the law the way she was. I dunno, it was just predictable for me. All of it. Though Reggie killing himself took me a bit by surprise.

And am I the only one who had a Nightmare On Elm Street flashback during the scene where he was hanging himself? For some reason it just reminded me of the scene where Freddy made the sheet wrap around Rod's neck and hang him. That's a weird thing to think of during a Miami scene, but I really did think of that. :lol:

I glanced over some of the posts, but in general I agree.
I'm so impressed with the new season. They've finally broken from their Stupor.

While Horatio has been a very intense character, and CSI: Miami wouldn't be right without him around, I tend to agree that he's been an awful character lately.
Take that 'awful' lightly. He just seemed to be more robotic and non-challant about everything.
But like I said... he seems to be breaking out of that.
I loved his interactions with Reggie. It wasn't the classic H look.... he seemed to have real emotion. And the way they sat together at the end. That was perfect. It really encompased all the feelings and emotion of the episode. Excellent, excellent.

And I can't remember who said it, but it WAS really nice to have the episode focus MORE on the "kids" rather than H so much. The more and more I think about it, the more I'm impressed with this episode. It wasn't completely unrealistic.
There was real character and depth. Seeing Reggie hang himself only made sense.
There IS a darker side to Miami. It's not always bright lights and bikinis on the beach. I like that the writers are finally stepping up to the quality of the story of Vegas and New York.

And C.H.E.A.R I hope you're right about Eric and Ryan. I'm all for Calleigh eps.... In fact, I love them. I love CSI centered Episodes (Like when Eric gets shot, or Calleigh is Kidnapped, Ryan getting a nail in his eye).
But I'm wayyyy too interested in what the stories for Eric and Ryan are....

Back