Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!!!)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 12, 2008.

?

Is a D/L baby a good thing for CSI: NY?

1. Yes

89 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. No

84 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. I'm not sure yet

40 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

Re: Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!

And the way you're talking, it's like Lindsay can do no wrong....As far as she knows, the only thing that Danny did was forget her birthday and get lost within himself over the Ruben thing.

This is quite similar to what Lindsay had done a year prior, when the memories of her slain friends were starting to take over her with the aprehension of Katums and having to go back to Montana to testify. So, how did he deserve that, when he was so understanding toward her, and gave her space to do what she needed to do? He basically said he was there if and when she needed him. She didn't try any of that with him. The only thing she did was call his name after he stormed off, and said she wasn't good at that kind of thing... Hypocritical much?

Lets see, he pushed her away the same way she did and she made no effort. Doesn't compute. Let's see, He felt responsible for Ruben's death. That's a heavy load to carry. Instead of her being understanding, she's nasty towards him, all just for being distant and forgetting her birthday.

Lindsay never knew about Rikki. Even if she suspected, and I don't know how she could, she didn't know anything for sure. See, IMO, that makes Lindsay the one who was more self-absorbed.

And besides, Danny and Rikki discussed it, and I'm not sure whether they saw any love between each other, either. All they were doing was comforting each other. They really didn't see it as anything more. And they were both devastated when Rikki left.

Honestly, I've not seen any "love" or even communication between Danny and Lindsay. Yes, they liked each other. They flirted, then Lindsay pushed Danny away for a year because she had issues, and then after those issues magically disappeared, they hooked up on Danny's pool table. There was very little shown onscreen afterward.

I never even heard Lindsay say that she forgave Danny anything. I just heard Danny apologize, and then Lindsay ran over for a booty call; All the while telling Danny how hard he was to love. To me, that is both selfish, and weak. Reeks of "Yeah, I got what I wanted, so there...."

And how many people yelled loudly that they would stop watching after RND and wouldn't even buy the Season 4 DVD's?

I'm not sure I'll stop watching, but I'm for sure not happy about the development, for many reasons that I've outlined in my above post.

And in the "real world," people don't forgive quite as easily, and when there's issues like that, oftentimes, unless people are completely and utterly screwed up, these types of relationships don't usually work.

In the "Real World," things have consequences...I wonder what will happen when Mac and Stella find out about Lindsay's pregnancy. Surely there must be a policy in the NY Crime Lab about shiftmates dating.

Or, it will likely be what always happens, Mac and Stella both turn a blind eye to Lindsay's blatantly unprofessional behavior, and gloss over it. That is a major reason why I don't like this development, or Lindsay's character all that much. There are seemingly no consequences for HER actions, and it indeed seems that Lindsay can do no wrong.

2. melanie33

melanie33 Hit and Run

Look, I'm not saying Lindsay doesn't have faults, we all do, thats life. But sometimes I think certain people here over exagerate those faults.

She suffered through something as a child, that no one should have to suffer through, don't you think that would stay with her? Could that go a way to explain why she acts like she acts? Lindsay IMO was/is suffering from PTSD, which is totally understandable give the circumstances. What happened with her, will stay with her forever.

We also don't know about her home life, and what it was like for her growing up. Though it does seem we may get some insight into that this season, which could also explain in part why she acts the way she does. And for her being immature and not taking responsibility for her actions, I dont see it. And for her being perfect, don't see that either, if she was perfect why did TPTB give her a tragic past.

And you cant say that people don't forgive that easy. None of us know, unless we have been in that situation before how we would react and deal with it.. No two people are the same. IMO You are generalizing when you say," People dont forgive that easy", because SOME people do. And some relationships survive as well, its wrong to say, just because you forgive easy, your relationship is doomed to fail. And totally screwed up you say. Are you saying that all realtionships between people that have issues are totally screwed up? Are you telling me that relationships cant survive cheating? What exactlly are you saying? Its not like Danny and Lindsay are mentally unstable, serial killers or something. They have issues yeah, but I wouldn't say they are mentally screwed up or that much different to a great majority of people in this world. I mean come on, its like people think that relationships are easy, that people dont have problems or issues they have to deal with. Its not like we go through life and nothing happens to us. Doesnt mean our relationships cant survive, or that we cant raise children.

You have to admit there were insinuating circumstances as to why Danny acted like he did, he didn't just go to a bar and pick up some random woman for the heck of it, when deciding whether to forgive or not, everything has to be taken into account. No two situations are the same, the same as no two people are the same, so really its wrong to say what Lindsay did is wrong or right. I mean she is wrong for not talking to him, but she is also wrong for talking to him. Come on, make up your minds.

I would assume a fair time had passed between RND and PF.. Maybe thats why Lindsay wouldn't talk to Danny. Maybe she needed time alone to work things out in her head. Maybe she needed time to figure out if she could forgive him. Like I have said, LOVE is a strong emotion and if you love eachother enough, why not try again. I can not see what is so wrong with that.

I am assuming that Danny and Lindsay never actually told eachother how they felt or maybe they didn't put a label on it. Which isn't really that unusual. But when you are faced with losing that someone, it makes you admit your feelings, which did happen in both Danny and Lindsays case. Sometimes what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And thats how I see Danny and Lindsay's relationship. Sometimes we take eachother for granted ya know, which is what I felt Danny did to Lindsay. He thought he could do what he did and Lindsay would still be there waiting for him. But Lindsay had had enough, she laid her cards on the table and told him how she felt. Lindsay then needs time to think of what to do next, without any influence from Danny, so she refuses to talk to him until she goes over things in her head. In the meantime Danny is now faced with the consequences of his actions, and he is also faced with losing the one thing in life he truly cares about. So he makes the phonecall and tells her how he feels, Danny now has laid all his cards on the table, and for once since this whole Rueben saga began, he is being open and honest with Lindsay. IMO Lindsay had plenty of time to work out in her head if she could forgive him for what he had none, IMO Lindsay was not weak or irrational going over to Danny's, she had had plenty of time to figure out whether what they had was worth saving. And obviously she thought it was or she wouldn't have gone over there.

I also think that people are seriously deluding themselves if they think the only reason Lindsay acted like she did was because Danny forgot her birthday. There was way more to it. Lindsay said it herself, she felt like she had lost her best friend, it was pretty obvious that since Rueben died he had completely shut her out. Also Lindsay told him it wasnt about that. Her birthday and the dinner date. So I don't know where people are getting that from.

And on the whole cheating issue once again..There was too much evidence that suggested he did. Him making up stories about being to busy when she asked him for lunch, him trying to weasel his way out of why he forgot her brithday, him looking awfully guilty when Lindsay says "obviously you decided to do it all on your own" in her speech in RND. And even Danny himself saying "How sorry I am for pushing you away" to which Lindsay replied " Danny, I tried to give you your space, but I dont know how much longer I can feel alone, its messing with my work, its breaking my heart" Hmm certainly doesnt sound like they were broken up to me.

PL never said they were apart. He said, their relationship had cooled when Danny hooked up with Rikki. Yeah it had cooled alright, because Danny was so consumed with guilt and grief he pushed Lindsay away after Rueben died.

Saying that. doesnt mean their relationship cant survive, plenty of people have been through the same thing and came out stronger in the end.

And as for D and L dating, well Mac certainly seemed aware of it in 4-17 of last season. Didn't seem to concern him much. Love doesnt discriminate, D and L cant help that they fell in love. Are you saying because they fell in love they are irresponsible. Whether they work together or not is irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things IMO. If the worst came to worst, they would just put them on different shifts but this is TV so you know that wont happen.

It makes me laugh ya know. All of these "I dont trust TPTB to do it right" comments. Were these not the same people who were praising up TPTB just a few short months ago. Funny that......

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  3. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

First: I agree with you, melanie. I think there isn't much more to add. I also agree with you that I don't remember much moments where Lindsay has been pissed at Danny. And I think her reaction in her RND speech was justified. I wouldn't say Lindsay is perfect, like Danny isn't perfect either. But they also don't have to be, right? No one is perfect, and the fact that both, Danny and Lindsay, make mistakes, makes them more believable, right? Who wants to see people who always react perfect in every situation? Nobody, because that's just not real. I also don't think Lindsay forgave him too easily when she went over to his place after PF. Why? On the one side it is bad that she avoided talking to him after RND, on the other side it's wrong that she finally let him talk and went over to his place to forgive him? I don't really understand that.

Now to the vote. I voted yes. I already posted my opinion in the speculation thread, but I can post it here again. I like the idea of the pregnancy storyline, because I think if it's well done, it can be really interesting. I hope to see Danny and Lindsay dealing with it as a couple but also as individuals. It'll be nice to see how they'll handle being parents. And I hope it'll give us a chance to learn more about Lindsay's character and about her family. I don't see DL taking over the show. But I'm looking forward to a well done, interesting storyline for my ship and especially for Lindsay. So yeah, I voted for 'yes'.

4. jolein

jolein Pathologist

And what happend to Danny won`t stay with him?
    If anything Lindsay should have been more understanding towards Danny but she wasn`t,she was plain bitchy and childdish.
    Yes,it will be with her forever and she will use it whenever it suits her cause that is when she gets attention.

Because it fits with her being the perfect saint status which obviously some people buy.

Some people say they forget easy but they won`t because this isn`t a situation which will be easy forgotten.
    Besides,if Lindsay forgets that situation then she is even more weak,and more so shallow.

5. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

I'm sorry, but I really don't see how Lindsay's speech was justified. How can she say all of that when she did the same thing to Danny in all of Season 3? If Danny had given her a speech like that, would it have been justified?

And if Lindsay had PTSD, she would react like that every time that she was faced in a situation with a dead teenage girl. She wouldn't have been able to handle walking into the scene in Manhattan Manhunt. She doesn't freak out, though, which means that Season 3 was more of a situational thing. What I mean by that is the trial dug up the stuff she got over, and that's why she was reacting.

A closer example of PTSD was Mac in "Charge of this Post", when he survived a bombing and was trying to save Flack's life, which flashed him back to the Beirut Barracks Bombing of 1983. Being that that's the only time we've seen Mac dealing with being in a bombing that he didn't create (because blowing up the lab doesn't count :lol: ), it's more likely that he has PTSD, but I wouldn't call it that either.

But, getting back to the point- Danny didn't deserve to be kicked while he was already down. He was trying ot take care of himself after what had happened, which isn't selfish. It's just being human. As he's trying to move on after Ruben's death, she drops that on him.

Is that really fair? Is that really justified?

We have no solid proof that they were anything more than sex buddies. Lindsay said she was in love, yes, but Danny never said that. You can't cheat on someone you don't have a clearly defined relationship with. He wasn't making up excuses- he could've really been that busy before work. Forgetting a birthday when having a lot going on happens. And she has no clue about Rikki.

I don't think Lindsay had any right to make that speech. I think that made her look childish, selfish, and hypocritical. She took his grief and turned it into a 'woe is me' situation. That's not right, in my opinion. Let the man have his time. Letting him have his space doesn't mean giving him a speech about how he should've come to you and not forgotten your birthday.

6. melanie33

melanie33 Hit and Run

Yeah not the look at the end of that scene, the one before that when L says " But obviously you decided to do this all on your own ". From exerience when somone looks down and diverts eye contact, its usually is a sign of guilt. I have shown that very scene to numerous people that don't watch the show, and everyone of them said it was a guilty look, not one of bewilderment or him being baffled.

Yeah ok. Whatever. I just find it amussing that people here, seem to change their minds when it suits em. No two sides of the D/L debate are better than the other IMO. But it seems one side seem to think they are. And whether they threw away a a good cannon relationship is a matter of personal opinion.

Once again, it gets brought up. Lindsay should have been more understanding. . Seriously the woman gave him space, because thats what she thought he wanted, going through the same thing herself, I suppose she sort of felt thats what he probably needed at the time. From personal experience if someone doesn't want to let you in, there aint much you can do about it.

I am not one of these people that excuses Danny, just because he looks good.:rolleyes:.

Honestly I dont think we were ever meant to excuse his behaviour per se. I think it was more about what grief and guilt can make you do, in normal cirumstances what happened between D and R wouldn't have happened, Rikki basically said as much herself. IMO it was also done as a way to deepen the relationship between D and L.. Think about it, what other way could they have done it. Danny is often percieved as a bit of a player, someone thats afraid of commitment. So what better way than have him be with another woman to realise that it was Lindsay he wanted to be with. They certainly couldn't have Danny just cheat without an explanation, thats why they added in the guilt factor. Danny now had some sort of reason behind why he did what he did. His pushing away and behaviour towards L was a way to get her to open up to him and tell him how she felt about him. It certainly seemed to bring him out of his funk, he now realised that his actions were hurting others. And the one thing he cared about in his life, he was at risk of loosing. Its the old saying ya know, you don't know what you have until its gone. Having L shut him out, made Danny realise what it was like to love someone and to have that person shut you out and close off, just like he had done to her. He realised that he had with Rikki wasn't love, but what he had with Lindsay was. Thats why he calls and opens up and tells her what he tells her, and then asks her to come over and tell him in person how hard he is to love. I truly believe that he wanted to tell her he felt the same way in person, just like she had done to him. Its not really the thing you say to someone for the first time, over the phone.

7. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

I would have understood him. I understood how Lindsay felt when she did her speech in RND, and I would have understood Danny as well if he would have done that in season 3. It doesn't matter who of the character did it.

I also think it had to do with the situation. When she found out she had to testify against the killer, all the memories came back. So she reacted more to the death of teenagers. I think in Manhattan Manhunt she also thought about it, and maybe it also affected her. But in season 3 she had to face her past again. And maybe this was the reason why she had problems with what happened in Oedipus Hex and Silent Night.

I agree.

I think one problem also is that we don't know what happened off screen. We still don't know if Danny told Lindsay about the cheating (and for me it was definitely cheating). We never saw it, but we also don't know if it happened off screen or not. But whatever happened, I can understand her reaction. She tried to give him space and she also tried to help him. But you can't force people to accept help.

I just noticed that actually this is the thread about what we think about the baby. :lol: But again we're discussing if Danny's and Lindsay's reactions were right or wrong. Will we ever agree about that? I don't think so. :lol:

To be on topic again, it's interesting to see that 'yes' and 'no' in the poll almost have the same votes. Right now I'm totally for 'yes'. This time I think I'll just trust in the writers and wait and see. Last season I spent too much with speculating. :lol: I'm excited to see what the writers will do with the baby-storyline and how they'll write it when the baby is born. I'm sure it won't be easy for Danny and Lindsay to handle both, their job and parenthood. Interesting!

8. melanie33

melanie33 Hit and Run

The difference is, Lindsay told Danny she liked him but she couldn't be with him, told him maybe they should just do their jobs. Also at that time they were not in a relationship. Yeah she stood him up, but she never treated him with callousness and she never lied to him and she certainly didn't go sleep with someone to null the pain she was feeling.

Danny was in a relationship with her when the whole Rueben thing happened, and he pushed her away, with no explanation as to why. Like Lindsay said, it wasn't the fact that he forgot her birthday or didn't want to go out for Dinner, it was the fact that she felt like she had lost her best friend. He had literally became someone else. Somone she didn't know in a way.

Danny pushed her to that speech IMO. He was arrogant especially about not wanting to go out for dinner and telling her she was making a big deal out of it. I think that after weeks/months of trying to get through to him, she had finally had enough. I wonder what people here would do in that situation. IMO we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Oh and on PTSD.

Symptoms:
    * Making an effort to avoid thoughts, feelings, or conversations about the traumatic event.
    * Making an effort to avoid places or people that remind you of the traumatic event. (wasnt the killers name Daniel)
    * Having a difficult time remembering important parts of the traumatic event.
    * A loss of interest in important, once positive, activities.
    * Feeling distant from others.
    * Experiencing difficulties having positive feelings, such as happiness or love.
    * Feeling as though your life may be cut short.

# Feeling more irritable or having outbursts of anger.
    # Having difficulty concentrating.
    # Feeling constantly "on guard" or like danger is lurking around every corner.

Acting or feeling as though the traumatic event were happening again, sometimes called a "flashback."

Interesting. Sort of sounds like Lindsay doesnt it. Back in season 3. Also PTDS can be re triggered by something. The trial and capture of her friends murderer, certainly explains that IMO

9. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

And again I agree with you. Especially about the fact that they weren't in a relationship when Lindsay started to pull away from Danny. And she also was honest. Like you said, she never lied. Never. But I think this talk can go on and on and on and on. :lol: I would say the best is we accept our different views, because everyone has different opinions about things. ;)

Btw, does Lindsay's possible trip to Montana during Anna's maternity leave belong into this thread? If yes, I'm curious to see that. Maybe we'll be able to learn more about her family and her relationship to them. That would be great, because we still don't know much about the Monroes.

10. electra

electra Pathologist

So we are basically not sure about the status of the D/L relationship.We are also not sure if he cheated or not and if he did we are not certain that he told her.That's why I fear for this storyline.

Also Anna is not the actress to make this storyline worth watching.She fails to show big emotion and IMO that's why we have so many contradictions with her character.

11. jolein

jolein Pathologist

And I have shown that scene to a few people who said it showed he didn`t know how to react and looked shocked.
    and so we can go on and on cause it all depends on how you look at it.

I have seen D/L shippers do the same with scenes which don`t fit in their perfect little bubble.

I don`t think it is a question of thinking that people are better then the other.
    It`s more that some people are more critical about things and that some people have a hard time accepting that.

So,you think that because some people think Danny is goodlooking,some people gloss over what he does?
    Have you read this thread? Cause I see a lot of people who like Danny but who don`t hesitate to say that what he did was right.

She wasn`t understanding,she was a bitch and instead of trying something,she turned to Mac with the excuse that she is not good at this sort of thing.
    Mac,even gave her advice and yet we see nothing of that.
    Instead we see her giving Danny a speech about how she feels and what he should have done.
    She never gave any indication that she understand him or even gave him space.

Ah yeah,the it`s not you but me crap,cliche speech.
    That showed maturness,really.

Which Relationship? the one of friends,maybe friends with benefits?
    She never has taken the time to get to know the real Danny,otherwise she wouldn`t have reacted like she did.
    Why does Flack and even Mac know how to deal with Danny,and yet his supposely gf doesn`t know what to do.

yeah,because it was his fault...
    She did made a big deal out of the whole thing and she didn`t accept what he told her.
    There is no way,she could have known Rikki was there or that he didn`t have to do what he said he had to do.
    She didn`t give it any try and if the others are patienced with him,then what gives her the right to push him.

No matter how you twist the tale,there is a lot of which isn`t clear and there is still no indication other then what the writers have said that they are together.
    And sorry but at this point i`m just taking the wait and see approached.

They have to do this storyline good,especially concerning the towards Lindsay because this is the storyline which is gonna be cemented in th serie for the next few years.

12. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

If I were Lindsay, I would've been more supportive from the get-go. I would've understood that he wasn't going to go to me for support, but that he knew I was there. And I wouldn't have gotten mad that he forgot my birthday, because I could see that he was still grieving and blaming himself.

Lindsay doesn't know Danny slept with Rikki. And I don't think Danny knows what extent of a relationship they're in. Hell, I don't know what extent of a relationship they're in. I see their relationship as more of friends with benefits where someone happened to fall in love.

Everyone has their own opinion on that, though.

Regardless of that, though, Danny didn't deserve that speech. And I'm not saying that because I think Danny's hot, so I'm excusing his behavior because he's pretty to look at. I don't think Horatio's hot, but if he were in Danny's shoes and that speech happened to him, I'd be saying the same thing.

No one deserves a speech like that, in my opinion. Character or person, male or female, hot or ugly... none of that matters. You can't tell someone how to grieve, or get mad that they didn't grieve the way they wanted. Maybe that's just me, though.

And I'm not telling Lindsay how to grieve. I'm not saying that she did something wrong before, that what Danny did was wrong. I don't like that he slept with Rikki, but I'm not him. (clearly... :lol:) I just think that it's not right for anyone to say that.

And I'd be saying the same thing if Lindsay were on the receiving end of that speech instead of Danny.

No, she saved that for when he was in her position. Danny's an overly emotional guy, and he shut down. That's not being callous. Not wanting to go to lunch wasn't being callous. He didn't tell her he was going to show up and then didn't, which would've been worse. He would've seemed like more of a jerk if he did stand her up (like she did to him) instead of saying he couldn't meet for lunch.

13. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

The main difference between the two sides, IMO, is that one side is mostly going off of what has been shown on screen and the other is relying mostly on subtext and assumption. That's a generalization, I know, but for the most part I think it's a fair assessment.

Unless something happens on screen or, in the case of Danny and Lindsay hooking up after the phone call in PF, we are told something happened it didn't. That means Lindsay doesn't know about Rikki. That means Lindsay never tried to reach out to Danny. That means Danny and Lindsay were not definitely in an exclusive relationship when he slept with Rikki.

That's the problem with the whole DL story line from the get-go. TPTB have left too much undefined and unexplained. There's only so much you can leave up to subtext and still tell an effective, realistic story. If they continue down this path after the baby arrives it may be too much for some people to take seriously and could just damage the characters' credibility even more than they have been.

ETA: I would define standing someone up and then refusing to give them a reason callous. I would also define someone who tells a grieving man he's "hard to love" and that you have to "let go" of your love for a person because they forgot your birthday and didn't grieve according to your timetable and specifications as callous. And I would definietly define someone who turns around and treats someone the exact opposite of the way they were treated by the same person under similar circumstances as callous. I wouldn't say someone who is consumed by grief and guilt and therefore fails to see anything beyond those feelings is callous.

14. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

That's what annoyed me last season. I hope this season will be different. We need to see facts! I don't wanna guess about anything and everything all the time. Did they talk? Didn't they talk? No guessing, please. :D

I'm looking forward to the baby-storyline. I really, really hope that TPTB invest some time in planning it. Give us facts, please. And don't only focus on one side of the pairing. Both, Danny and Lindsay, are involved. I want to see how both react to the child. But, like I said, right now I'm just waiting and seeing. I'm curious to see what they have planned for Danny and Lindsay.

15. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Danny suffered through something that no one should have to suffer through, don't you think that would stay with him? Could that go a way to explain why he acted the way he acted? What happened to Danny will stay with him forever.

I think the issue is that she didn't talk to him about her feelings because she was giving him space, but then she suddenly slammed those feelings down on him when he probably had no clue she was even feeling that way because she hadn't told him so - so it was 'wrong', in the opinion of some, that she didn't talk to him (or avoided talking to him) and then suddenly unloaded and acted like he did something wrong by not going to her.

Whether Danny cares about Lindsay or loves Lindsay or not, she's hardly the only thing in his life he truly cares about. I'd venture to guess he cares about his friends and his family too, and the good work he does to help people in his job. The assumption that everything in the world should pale in comparison to Lindsay being mad at him boggles my mind a bit.

What he basically said was that it wasn't his business - to both Quinn and to Lindsay. And whether or not he 'knew' they dated, that doesn't imply that he 'knew' whether or not they were in a serious relationship at any given time. He doesn't seem to get involved in his subordinates' personal lives, so I won't base my opinions on his knowledge or lack thereof.

When things affect their ability to work, they're being irresponsible. And yes, that could apply to Danny not showing up for work because he's chasing Rikki down - he was being irresponsible, and I think most people would probably agree with me about that. It doesn't excuse Lindsay from acting irresponsibly at other times - I think a big difference here is that Lindsay let things affect her ability to work that could have and should have been dealt with off the clock (walking away from evidence, shoving the clipboard at Danny, giving him the Monologue of Doom, etc). This specific example of Danny acting irresponsible (since I'm not making a blanket statement about all of his actions) was due to an immediate situation that he felt he had to deal with personally.

They've both been irresponsible - that doesn't mean we should pretend Lindsay hasn't just because Danny has.

(Of course, my definition of 'irresponsible' may not be everybody else's definition.)

Personally, I trust TPTB to give us great friendship moments between Mac and Stella, and Danny and Flack; I trust them to write good, solid cases (most of the time); I trust them to give Adam hilarious scenes and to give Flack the best one-liners. When it seemed like they would be dealing with some of the problems we've had with the show (such as giving Hawkes the shaft, ignoring continuity, not showing Flack's family, etc), I trusted them to do it (and I still do, to a large extent). What I don't trust them to do right is anything involving Danny and Lindsay because I don't think they've really done much - if anything - right with them thus far.

So I don't think it's fair to oversimplify why people do or don't "trust" TPTB.

Yes, but guilty of what? Of unknowingly hurting someone he doesn't want to hurt? That doesn't mean he felt guilty of cheating in particular. Just because he looked guilty for 'doing it on his own' doesn't mean he was feeling guilty for doing it with Rikki (in that sense or the more literal sense) - or that his guilt over doing it with Rikki, if he was perhaps guilty about that at the moment, was because he thought he'd cheated on Lindsay. Maybe he felt guilty for Rikki's sake that he'd offered Rikki sex to assuage his own guilt.

There are a lot of maybes, so I don't think we can assume anything, even if one takes that expression on his face as guilt. The show didn't clarify a whole lot regarding that relationship, and when it's all left to assumption and fans making up their own minds, you get wildly divergent ideas of what happened - as this thread shows.

It's all a matter of personal opinion - and it's personal choice whether people change their minds and when they choose to do it. There were people who thought Danny was a total asshole after "Right Next Door" and didn't want Lindsay to go back to him, but some of those same people are calling this baby a great thing for the show - if those people have the right to change their minds, everybody does (and everybody does).

Also, people generally think their opinion is 'right' - that doesn't mean they think they're better than someone else, and it doesn't mean people should feel like they're being insulted and take it personally because Sally-Someone thinks their opinion is 'wrong'.

So she gave him space because she thought he needed it, but then it's okay for her to decide how much space is enough space, and how much grieving time alone is enough? She went from zero to sixty in a second - she went from giving him space that she thought he needed to berating him for keeping that distance. In the span of a few episodes, she went from a few feeble attempts to reconnect with him (or whatever) to telling him off for not suddenly reciprocating. She may have gotten mad for him not going to her, but when Danny assumes it's about her birthday or turning down her lunch offer - um, how is it his fault for not knowing her real reasons? She hadn't put them on the table before (and he clearly wasn't at a place where he was overly concerned with Lindsay - he was thinking about his own grief and guilt over Ruben's death, and also about his guilt that Rikki was hurting because he considered himself responsible for her son's death, and he was still trying to function somewhere close to normal at work at the time - Lindsay isn't and shouldn't be his only priority). So after he knows her reasons and tries to talk to her, she avoids him at every opportunity until he grovels over the phone.

And I think Flack, Adam and Hawkes are better looking than Danny, so what? I still make judgments about his character based on his character.

Another way they could have done it was any way that didn't reduce a child's death and the grief shared between two adults as nothing more than Unhappy Ship Time. That's not to say what Danny and Rikki did was right - personally, I don't think it was right or wrong, but I think it was an understandable human reaction - just that I don't think reducing it down to what it means for DL is right (for TPTB or for fans, but then I'm entitled to that opinion).

Again, I hardly think Lindsay is the only thing he cares about.

Well, you are entitled to believe that - but until they show proof of that, not everyone will be convinced.

But where's the discussion in that? :p

I think it ties into the topic at hand, so I'd say so.

Using Anna's maternity leave to tell more about Lindsay's character would be a good thing since the character has gotten so little individual development so far - as long as they do it better than they handled things during season 3. (For one thing, she went home, but we saw no sign of her family at the trial? What a wasted opportunity.)