Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!!!)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 12, 2008.

?

Is a D/L baby a good thing for CSI: NY?

1. Yes

89 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. No

84 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. I'm not sure yet

40 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Because I'm seeing talk about this all over--and it's definitely taking over the spoiler thread to some degree, I thought it might be great if for the most part we could consolidate it into one thread.

A few ground rules:

1. Spoilers will abound. The fact that the D/L pregnancy has been announced at TV Guide and in several articles at CSI Files suggest that the cat is more or less out of the bag, but we'll probably get more spoilers in the upcoming weeks that may be discussed here. So be warned ahead of time--this thread will be spoilerlicious. No need for spoiler boxes in here since we've got a warning at the top of the thread, so read at your own risk!

2. Obviously, this topic is controversial. I'd love to see some great discussion/debate in here, but that means we all have to respect each other's right to hold differing opinions. That means don't get personal. If someone thinks the D/L pregnancy is the best thing to happen to the franchise and you think the opposite, don't come in and tell them they're stupid, juvenile, immature, etc. Likewise, if someone thinks it's a terrible idea and bad for both characters, don't dismiss them as a "hater." It's all about respect, folks.

We can start off with a general poll...Do you think Danny and Lindsay having a baby together is a good idea for the show?

2. Fiona

Fiona Dead on Arrival

Re: Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!

The romantic in me kinda think yey. But the larger more sensible half of me know it won't work and just be fodder for drama when they run out of other stuff.

I'd like to see it work, I mean really work rather then create some stupid story where the baby dies or whatever. But I'd like it to become more background after a while you know - they work it out together somehow, baby fits in but doesn't become an issue. And when one of the actors wants to leave the show, the other will go too - which sounds harsh I know but I would much rather have a good clean ending without break-up or death - or at least give one of them an excuse not to be part of it.

In too many shows I've seen the kid ends up dying, or one of them ends up dying or cheating or they can't hold a decent relationship together. Wouldn't it be nice to see on TV a relationship that works through hard times, that's strong and where babies don't die.

3. jolein

jolein Pathologist

I voted,i`m not sure yet cause it all depends on how the story unfolds on the telly.

One part of me is interested to see how they are juggling between work and baby plus it is something else cause the other kids in the franchise were either young or older already.
    Now,there is a baby coming and that is a whole different level.

The other part of me,is just holding out judgement cause the csi franchise doesn`t really have a good track record when it comes to personal things.
    They either run fast or just fall flat

4. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I've put i'm not sure yet because as much as i love the pairing i can't really decide until i see it unfold on screen.

I'd actually hoped this season that we would see them return to friends and we woudl be able to get back some of teh S2 banter and scenes like "commuted sentences" where it wad friends joking around.

I understand why they did it because hiding it last time was not the cleverest idea and having the baby be someone else's would just be more OOC and I guess wouldn't make sense to anyone.

Mainly i just hope they don't leave us the viewers out of the loop, miss out important facts and just assume they are fine after last season which i hope is not the case and from some of the spoilers seems to *touches wood* hint that way with danny goin on his ride. TPTB just have to make sure for me at least that its believable but not way to soap opera over the top but enough that it can be kept in the background.

5. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

I put no.

My reason is this- these are two people that, as of yet, have not seemed (to me, at least) to have much of a functional relationship. He's her doormat, and she's (at times) insensitive. To me, that doesn't exactly strike me as a healthy relationship.

That's not to say they don't have their good moments, because they do.

But when both of them feel the need to hold secrets from each other and/or can't talk about their feelings with one another, I don't see how a baby is going to make things better. I could be wrong (and I have been in the past), but I just don't think this was a good idea.

6. melanie33

melanie33 Hit and Run

Ya know. I dont think TPTB are going for the overly dramatic here. If that was the case, Rikki would be coming back pregnant. And on that subject. I dont think she was ever meant to come back pregnant at all.

No spoilers I saw suggest that at all. As did no spoilers suggest Lindsay would get a love interest.

Pam Veasey said " Things will be a little rocky for them this season, a lot of things will happen with Danny that dont involve Lindsay, but she's going to come to the rescue and still be a part of that relationship" Then she said. "she will have eyes for someone else, he will recur for several episodes and of course he will be extremely attractive"

Couldnt that be her son? Her brother? Her father? Because the way I am reading" will still be a part of that relationship" It seems that D and L would still together.

Also I dont see how Danny and Lindsay having a child could harm the show. Its not a soap opera plot line. Its real life. It doesnt mean Danny has to loose all the qualities we have come to love. Lets face it, Danny is always going to be the highly emotional, sometimes loose cannon he always was/is. Becoming a parent wont change that.

Characters have to evolve and change or otherwise they become stagnant and boring. Danny is a man in his thirites, is it wrong that maybe his priorities in life have changed.

What is happening to him, is not him losing his ba**s, it called maturity. I for one am looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

7. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

I'm not saying he's losing his ba**s or anything like that. He has them. And I love him as he is, and the highly emotional person that he is. Becoming a parent might change the loose cannon part, though, because he wouldn't be willing to risk his life unless his child was in danger.

To me, Danny and Lindsay haven't had the most stable of relationships. I think adding a child to that situation isn't going to make things much better. It's not overly dramatic, either. That's life. Unstable couples get pregnant too. But I just don't think this is the best thing.

Like I said, though, I could be completely wrong and this could end up being something good. But from where I stand right now, I just don't think it's a good thing.

8. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I'm really not sure yet. Based on how tptb have handled the relationship so far, I'm a little nervous about it. On the other hand I think there's a fantastic opportunity for character develolpment for BOTH Danny and Lindsay. Will it happen though? Again, I'm not so sure, if you take Pam Veasey's words to heart then it seems they will focus on Danny.

9. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

I voted yes cos I'm interested to see where they go with it. If it's handled well it should be really interested. It's not something that's done often on a show like NY. I'd love to see how Danny handles being a dad.

I don't understand how people can say that it doesn't fit in where they are in their relationship, they're not ready etc. but it just makes it more realistic and interesting.

I'm hoping that they don't make it into a total cliche and have the baby die or something. They're going to have to make a real effort to have this work out. But I'm looking forward to it.

10. jolein

jolein Pathologist

That is probally because it isn`t clear wether or not they were/are dating.
    And saying,that the writers/producers have stated that they are dating,doesn`t really count.

One thing,I do hope we get but fear we won`t get,is atleast some sort of build up towards the fact that Lindsay is pregnant.

11. Corazon

Corazon Victim

I voted Yes, too because it's something very near to life. People get children all the time, why not as a CSI?
    It's also a great chance to explore Danny's and especially Lindsay's characters more. But that really depends on how the story will be done and if it's well written.

Other than that I agree with everything melanie33 wrote. ;-)

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I'm hovering between "I'm not sure" and "no." On one hand, the fact that this storyline seems to be a complete 180 from TPTB were initially planning. Rikki was supposed to come back for as many as four episodes, and both Veasey and Lenkov has said that's changed. Danny was supposed to get development independent of Lindsay, but I imagine this will overshadow that. A new guy was going to catch Lindsay's eye--that's definitely got to be scrapped. So the fact that this a complete 180 from what the writers had originally planned makes me a little cagey.

I also don't think it's good for Danny and Lindsay as characters. The way Danny crawls back to Lindsay every time she treats him like crap makes it look like he craves abuse. And Lindsay doesn't have storylines outside of Danny, meaning in the past three years, she's never really developed into her own character.

On the positive side? It will explore different aspects of Danny and Lindsay--notably, how they'll be as parents. Lindsay has a lot of growing up to do, and needs to be a less selfish character if she's ever going to mature, so that could be good for her. And I think Danny would make a good father because he's sweet and sensitive, and I could easily see him doting on a kid.

But does a CSI show really need two main characters to get together and have a baby? IMO, these two are the worst choices: their relationship has been immature and inconsistent from the beginning, and they clearly have communication problems. I don't know that that's a great place to start a family from.

Not necessarily. They can kill the departing character and leave the baby with the other, or they can have the character who leaves take the baby and the other one mope around for seasons to come about missing the baby.

They were ambiguous at best.

If she has eyes for her son/brother/father, that's decidedly incestuous and gross. I think it's pretty clear that was meant to be a love interest.

I don't think getting pregnant accidentally or having a child when you're not in a stable relationship is a sign of maturity. Maybe this storyline will allow them to grow up, but the initial getting pregnant? Not a sign of maturity.

I do agree that it could be an interesting dilemma and could make for some good drama. That all depends on how it's handled--that we'll find out once 509 airs and the story starts unfolding!

13. Radical618

Radical618 Coroner

So, I do ship these guys. I really do. But I have been a shipper since season 2, and that was their prime. So really, I don't think this is going to be a good storyline for the show. the only way I can see it being good is if they announce it, make it known to the team and just let it go. However the way that TPTB have been writing DL has been really (IMO) disruptive, and I feel like with the pregnancy, it gives them even more opportunity to add more drama. This is a crime show, not a soap, so when it comes onto the show, sure I'll be happy for them because I won't be able to do anything about it, I'll just be praying that the storyline is calm, not a rollercoaster. *doesn't count on it*

14. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

The option i would have chosen is not in the list. There is not a "NO NO NO" option

I don't think it's positive. I said months ago i found the idea of Lindsay with a new guy truly positive because she would have had the chance to "spread her wings". I never disliked her so i expected this chance to see her as something else than Danny's one night stand and many people who dislike her now could start to appreciate her more.
    Even it was promising enough to keep DL fans happy because as spoilers were quoted above "Lindsay would come to Danny to the rescue"

A chance to shine by herself, that's what Lindsay has lost now because she will be forever tied to Danny because of the baby. How are they going to develop her character if you don't get rid of "melodramma" ( I like to use this italian word ;) ) The baby will exist, the father is going to be there and the mother too. For me they have lost their existences as individuals now.

I only hope this storyline won't take screentime away from other storylines and more interesting characters. I'm very upset on this matter

Débora

15. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I voted no. This is so short-sighted of TPTB. Tying these two characters together, whether or not they will actually be "together," like this for the life of the show can't be a good idea, IMO. If they had written the pregnancy in without completely doing a 180 from the direction previous spoilers had implied it would have been "not typical." But everything Veasey and Lenkov have said about where this story is going is turning out to be not just "typical" but another big cliché. We get country girl meets city boy, flirting ensues, country girl has some big sekrit and pushes city boy away, city boy flies across the country in support of emo country girl and learns about big sekrit, big sekrit is conveniently wrapped, country girl now wants city boy, they have sex, etc . . .

. . . the only part of the story that strayed from the cliché was the Ruben and Rikki Sandoval story. But now that the pregnancy is written in, instead of continuing with compelling storytelling they've gotten back on the clichéd road of country girl and city boy had a falling out, got back together and made a baby and will be happy and together and the compelling story was made into nothing more than a speed bump.

Another big problem is that with Danny and Lindsay TPTB have a history of telling and not showing. Some of the Danny and Lindsay fans aren't even convinced they're in a relationship. The two actors admitted last season they didn't even know if their own characters were in a relationship, for godssake. TPTB can't have a convincing story if the only way anyone knows what's going on is if they do a magazine/newspaper/online interview telling them what's going on. Bringing a baby in as the magic fix to all of the problems with the story line is expecting a huge leap of faith from an audience already let down from a storyline that should have been so much more.

The final problem is Anna Belknap's acting. Unless incorporating her pregnancy into the show somehow improves her skills by leaps and bounds I, for one, won't be able to buy the storyline at all. As some others have said, she has no warmth or depth to her acting and only a couple of facial expressions. Every time she's supposed to come off as sympathetic or cool or funny or sweet or whatever, to me she's come of as bitchy, mean, selfish, entitled and full of herself. That won't be at all congruous with a storyline where she's in a relationship and happy to be pregnant.