Rikki's Coming Back! (formerly Bring Rikki Back!)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Kimmychu, Jul 3, 2008.

1. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

Re: Bring Rikki Back!

I agree. Irrespective of the relationship entanglements that are likely to ensue from this storyline I am really looking forward to seeing where they take this in terms of Danny and how he deals. While I don't believe he was responsible for Ruben's death, there's no doubt that at the moment Ruben died it was Danny, as the adult, who was responsible for his safety. That's such a complex, gritty, emotional storyline that they haven't really explored yet. So far, in many ways Danny kept it together pretty well, the only visible way it impacted on him (other than relationship wise) was in AitF and the consequence of that was deflected by Flack and to a certain extent Lindsay.

Now we know they're bringing Rikki back it's a good indication that they're not just gonna drop it in terms of the longer term impact for Danny and how it may pan out in terms of fallout (poor guy :lol:)

Exactly. They are all tied together irrespective of how much we may not want them to be. It's a fact and it needs to be dealt with. My preferred conclusion differs from yours but essentially you've hit the nail on the head in terms of my thoughts about how they're all connected.

2. Sammy11

Sammy11 Police Officer

I can see where you are both coming from, I can see how they are indirectly linked and I can see why people feel they are and JP's return could signal more drama for that, but for me they were two different storylines featuring the same character dealing with life, and whilst I can see why that makes them linked I don't think they (Rikki and D/L) go hand in hand I guess.

My feelings (and they are just my feelings) is that they realised that Lindsey hadn't done much in those episodes before (apart from act childishly) and as usual to give the character something to do they fell back on the D/L prop they use for her. It's a shame because they could have used that time that Danny was greiving to come up with something small (away from D/L) for her to do and maybe add to the character a little more, allow her to stand on her own two feet.

If JP does come back pregnant I will be sending TPTB back to the closet of contrivance for a better entrance. Her come back will be linked to Danny but I don't think (or hope) that it has anything to do with Lindsey.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  3. JellyBelly

I have to disagree with you here. Yes, in terms of the storyline, what happened with Danny and Rikki can be viewed as being indirectly linked to D/L. But, in terms of the show they are absolutely linked and I don't believe tptb created Rikki just to have a storyline with Danny. Although that's what we have (and may continue) to see on screen, I can't ignore the fact that tptb were quite vocal in terms of their intention to create a 'bump' for D/L and to 'deal' with them. Both those things were said by tptb in interviews before Rikki came onto the scene. That being said, I don't believe (and like you it's just my sense) that they suddenly brought Lindsay into the storyline to give her something to do, I think it was their intention all along to have this storyline make or break D/L.

I believe that they brought Rikki in first and foremost to impact on D/L, whatever the outcome may be, that's what links them. Having said that though, it IS possible that they liked the character so much that they are keeping her around to create some longevity with Danny and to halt D/L altogether. We won't know until the season airs.

As for Rikki coming back pregnant, I do agree with you there. I kinda think it'd be a little obvious and I think tptb are smarter than that. Having said that, as much as it's not a storyline I'd prefer to see, I CAN see how that would create a lot more potential for Danny angst and tptb seem to like that.

I am somewhat intrigued by where they're going to take this. I guess that's what they want at this stage in the game. :)

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I agree with that completely. I wish like hell they hadn't inserted Lindsay and the ensuing Drama Llama into the Danny/Rikki/Ruben story line. But they went there, so although I don't like it one bit I can't see Rikki returning not having some impact on Lindsay and/or DL. I just hope that they resolve DL (and yes, I'd prefer if "resolve" equals "end it.") one way or another so that Danny and Rikki's relationship - whatever that turns out to be - can be it's own thing and move on from pushing a DL agenda of any kind. Even when it was used, indirectly or not, to drive the Drama Llama Rikki's and Danny's relationship became bigger than a mere DL plot device so to let the relationship evolve outside DL has the potential to be amazing.

While the mean, childish, "I hate Lindsay" part of me would laugh hysterically if Rikki came back carrying Danny's spawn, the main part of me doesn't want that to happen. I think it has the potential to be an intriguing story line, but with the way TPTB have handled the Drama Llama I don't trust them to handle it in a way that wouldn't turn out cheesy, cliched and uninteresting.

5. Sammy11

Sammy11 Police Officer

See I saw the "bump" being Danny's grieving process, whilst we all know that he slept with Rikki, Lindsey doesn't (well not in canon anyway) so the bump can't be Danny/Rikki for me.

It may be Lindsey's percieved slight at Danny pushing her away and not turning too her, or loving her the same way. I get that Danny grieving is because of Rueben and not grieving to Lindsey (or anyone else) is because he has Rikki to be with and share in that mutual grief, but I didn't and still don't feel that Danny didn't turn to Lindsey because him and Rikki were coupled I just don't think he turned to anyone because how could they possibly know how he felt. Anyway this is all a totally different thread now! :)

Danny and Lindsey dealt with (or didn't deal with :rolleyes:) their relationship because Danny switched off. I would like to think that TPTB saw the "bump" as Rueben death and Danny's guilt rather than the fact that as fall out he sleeps with Rikki, the issue and storyline were so much wider than Danny (supposedly) cheating on Lindsey, for me anyway as I'm not a D/L shipper. I guess that when I was watching the story unfold I never once thought about Lindsey.

I absolutely agree, it was great to watch and both actors handled it so well, I never once thought it was over done (as I can feel watching dramas) or contrived. I like that they kept it real and messy, but also adult.

I think whatever the relationship they give to Danny and Rikki it will be good, and hopefully continue to be well written.

I'm going to hold fire on the judgement for the moment until I hear more. if it is just going to be a D/L plot bunny then it will be a shame, but if they manage to actually bring her back in an interesting storyline away from all that then WOOHOO!!

6. JellyBelly

7. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

I agree. I thought the 'bump' was Danny's grieving process since Lindsay didn't provide him any comfort at all IF they didn't decide to dump the bump storyline. We've all seen how little TPTBs word can sometimes be. The silly 'perfect heart' and the DL 'moment' in the finale. I never did think Lindsay was part of the Danny/Rikki/Ruben storyline. I consider it separate from the mess that is DL because Lindsay knows nothing about Rikki/Danny. Whether or not Lindsay finds out about Rikki, it's not gonna matter even if Lindsay is upset since Danny never considered them together. He doesn't owe Lindsay any explanations. She sure as hell doesn't stand around and let him try to explain anything. She dumped the Monologue of Doom on him and then ran away...yep, very adult of her. :rolleyes:

Also, I agree with Kimmy that this could have been TPTBs intentions all along. Love Run Cold is a great example when Lindsay said she couldn't have a relationship with Danny and he was like :eek: and said he was just meaning dinner, drinks, a few laughs (which he got drinks, a few laughs, and sex in Snow Day that just happened to also be on her terms). It doesn't seem like Danny ever thought they were dating or that he ever intended on it. SEX =/= LOVE How many men are going to turn down somebody who comes to their house, gets them to drinking, flirts like crazy, has a few laughs, and then seduces them. Of course he was going to sleep with her and then BOOM, on with his life.

8. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

The only thing that Veasey and Zuiker said that came to pass was the 'bump'. :lol: So in retrospect, I really do wonder if their statements about DL before season four aired was simply to steer people away from any possible thoughts of DL ending so that when the DannyRikki scene happened, it would have maximum impact. Think about it; if they hadn't said what they did and what we had to go on for that season was Carmine's interview, we would all have been on the lookout for something that would bring an end to DL. There wouldn't have been much shock (if any) at the DR scene then.

But they did say what they did, and look at the reactions when episode 4x16 aired! :lol: Very cunning, TPTB. ;)

I second Sammy11's statement that when there were any DR scenes, I never once thought of Lindsay or that she had any involvement. It's true, Lindsay was the one who was inserted into the DR situation, not the other way around. To me, that merely serves as proof Danny's still Lindsay's prop all the way till the end of season four. Also very telling that Lindsay got next to nothing in terms of storyline for the whole season, even with Danny having a bulk of one. I think TPTB's already begun the process of separating Lindsay from Danny so this propping business will finally come to an end, and that Rikki's return has something to do with this. And like a number of people have said, hell no, I do not want Rikki to be used as nothing more than plot device! :mad: She's a phenomenal character, TPTB, don't waste her potential.

Yep, after reviewing that particular scene in Love Run Cold, it seems DL may have been intended to suffer from severe miscommunication from the start and that it would bring about serious consequences later. Even in season three, Danny was clear about only wanting a good time, but Lindsay was the one who jumped the gun and assumed he wanted a relationship. I thought it was rather amusing she didn't seem to 'get it' even after Danny specifically said he only wanted 'drinks, a few good laughs, etc.' It goes in line with the dialogue in Snow Day too; even then, Lindsay was already clingy and presumptuously possessive, while Danny was all, "Why are you making a big deal of things?" Also goes in line with his reaction to Lindsay's anger at him turning down lunch. Baaaaaad communication all around.

As for Rikki, it's interesting to see that it's the complete opposite with her in regards to Danny. Fantastic communication, genuine emotional and physical intimacy, bucket loads of chemistry in just minutes of on screen time together ... yeah, I can understand why TPTB has brought her back for several episodes. :cool:

9. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Been lurking for a while lately, but HAVE to say, I'm so happy to see Rikki will be reappearing! There's been some great talk in this thread and I've enjoyed reading it, and now with confirmation that Ms Pinol will return, is bolstering my spirits for next season!

Don't mind while I try to get caught up on this conversation that seems to have blasted off while I wasn't looking!

I have to agree with everyone that Danny and Rikki have great chemistry! I love their scenes together and wouldn't mind seeing, in the future, she and Don cross paths again. I'm curious as to how he regards her now, and dying to know what happened legally with Rikki after he brought her in, as per Don's insistence.

I love the introductions to good recurring characters like Rikki, because to me the idea of the CSI's and cops and detectives etc also engaging in real relationships with people NOT in their field makes the character more believable to me, not to mention theres less element of their work in personal scenes and storylines when the other people involved are not co-workers. This kind of inclusion of the rest of the world, makes for amazing scenes where we get to learn a lot of really interesting personal stuff about our favorite characters.

I think here it's important to remember that this is a crime drama. All the horrible, violent, fatal or scarring things they come up with, regardless of who the fictional victims are, are used as plot devices. Thats kind of the point to murder mysteries and cop dramas.

But mostly I'm excited about that now that they've introduced these life altering characters, relationships and events that surround Ruben's death and the changing relationship between Danny and Rikki, they REALLY have a chance to stick with the stories they're building! I think it's fair to say an awful lot of us are irritated by the way these big things happen to our favorite characters and two shows later no ones mentioning it or talking about it, even rarely are we given any subtle hints to these things. For example the disappearance and never again spoken of Louie. Or Mac's "Rose". (remember her?) Or Don's near fatal injuries. I could likely go on. I just like to know when something big touches a characters life it's not going to be wrapped up in a neat little package. That the experience will have a change to change the character some how and might surface now and again in ways big or small.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  10. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

I would love that. :D Loooooove that idea! Indeed, I'm also interested to know what Flack's opinion of Rikki is now, especially if Danny has confided in him about her. Something tells me Flack probably knows more about Rikki than we realize. It's canon that Danny and Flack spend lots of time together outside of work and that Flack is the one Danny turns to in his time of need, so who knows, Flack may have even known about Rikki and Ruben before episode 4x11.

I second this! :) This is one of the reasons why I wholly support Rikki's return. It would be wonderful to see Danny's life completely unrelated to work. We already got a glimpse of it when he and Ruben went to the cathedral for the bike blessing, and it was great!

Finally, we have actual continuity and realistic consequences, eh? :lol: About time too!

11. roximonoxide

Also, since Danny and Don went to that basketball game together we've been further given the impression Don and Danny are confidants and if they chat about the things that go on between Danny and Lindsay theres great room for the assumption that he might have told Don about whats going on with him and Rikki, which would just be another GREAT conversation I'm sure. :D

12. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

That's right! :D And not only that, Flack had been physically there when the showdown between Rikki and Ollie happened. He saw with his own eyes Danny step between Ollie and Rikki as well as the gentle, caring manner with which Danny treated Rikki the whole time too. Then there's also Flack telling Danny straight out to not blame himself for Ruben's death. Now how else would Flack know Danny's still doing that unless they're close and he knows Danny really well?

I'm sure Flack must be at least curious how Danny's doing after Rikki's moved away too. He'd have to be blind to not have noticed the closeness between Danny and Rikki (like the way they brushed each other's arms, the way Danny held her tight to him and how adamant Danny was to bring Rikki home safe) after he sent Ollie off out of the alley.

13. roximonoxide

That settles it. We need a season 5 locker room scene where there's some changing of clothes going on over a frank discussion about Rikki. . . all my dreams. . .

14. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

:lol: Ah, three birds with one stone, eh? I like the way you think!

This being a Rikki-centric thread, how about we have some pictures of the lovely lady from various scenes? :D Let's start by going backwards episode by episode, from episode 4x19 ...

[​IMG]

This is after she tells Danny she's moving away. Her expression is amazing here; subtle yet still powerful.

[​IMG]

I think it takes lots of talent to be able to convey so much with just one look. Here, you can tell she's trying her best to not cry while giving Danny a smile before walking away. Add Danny trying his best to do the same, and you have a scene full of emotional-oomph! goodness.

[​IMG]

What did you guys think about Rikki in this scene?

15. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I'm really looking forward to seeing Rikki back. I always enjoy seeing the CSIs and cops interacting with regular civilians, or people who aren't cops/CSIs.
    Rikki and Danny's interactions almost always happen away from the lab and the people there - as far as we know, only Flack knows that Danny and Rikki are close (from All in the Family) and even he presumably doesn't know much except that Danny cares for her, feels guilty for her son's death, and put his career on the line for her.
    I also agree with everyone who has said that the Danny/Rikki relationship has very little to do with the Danny/Lindsay relationship. In all of Danny and Rikki's interactions, the only thought I had about Lindsay is that Rikki cares more about Danny than Lindsay does, and that was in Personal Foul when Lindsay told Danny he was 'hard to love' and Rikki said he was a 'sweet man'.
    Between Child's Play and RND, the D/R relationship is all about Danny's grief and guilt over Ruben's death, and his desperate attempts to atone for what he sees as his part in Ruben's death. He goes to Rikki in the church at the end of Child's Play, and in All in the Family, he puts his career on the line to save her from making a terrible mistake. All of that is to do with Danny alone, his grieving process and his guilt, his trying to deal with Ruben's death - he thinks he failed Ruben and Rikki, and he's trying to atone for that by taking care of Rikki in the only way he can think of. This is also, IMO, why he sleeps with her. I think he slept with Rikki to a) comfort her b)comfort himself, forget his pain and guilt and c) try, in his own way, to atone for his guilt (as he sees it) in Ruben's death. He can't bring Ruben back, and he probably has no idea what words to use to comfort Rikki apart from apologizing, so he offers her sex (physical and emotional comfort of a sort) instead. I think that he probably never even thought of Lindsay when he was with Rikki - why would he? For all we know, D/L hadn't slept together since SD.
    Also, Rikki doesn't know about Lindsay - when she was telling Danny about why they shouldn't be together, the reason she gave wasn't 'You have a girlfriend' but reasons that were to do with Danny and Rikki themselves - I can't remember what exactly she said, but I think the gist of it was he was trying to make up for his 'responsibility' in her son's death, and she was 'using' him - I assume she meant for distraction from/comfort for her own grief. In other words - 'Danny, we shouldn't do this again because we're both pretty emotionally f*cked up right now, and we're going to get hurt if we carry on doing it' -Lindsay has nothing to do with it. I also think that Danny agreed with Rikki not because he wants to 'make it work' with L, but because that's what Rikki wants. I don't think an end to their relationship is what Danny wants. He seemed very upset when she left.
    As far as we know, Lindsay also knows nothing about Danny/Rikki. The reason she was mad at him in RND was because she thought he was pushing her away, not because she knew about Rikki.

Anyhoo, I can't wait to see Rikki back and hope the storyline has to do with their relationship (there's a lot of chemistry and angst there) or dealing with what happened after All in the Family, and the repercussions of both their actions in that ep. If it's all about 'Lindsay finds out Danny slept with Rikki' and 'Danny must choose between Rikki and Lindsay' I will be very p*ssed off. The D/R relationship should be kept well away from the D/L one, and it should be about DANNY and RIKKI alone.