Rikki's Coming Back! (formerly Bring Rikki Back!)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Kimmychu, Jul 3, 2008.

1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Re: Bring Rikki Back!

Last time I checked Danny and Lindsay weren't even remotely close to being married, let alone in an actual relationship, so to label her a "homewrecker" is extreme.

Rikki didn't swoop in and cause all of DL's problems. Danny chose not to go to Lindsay for support after Ruben died and chose to sleep with, seek comfort from and give comfort to Rikki. Lindsay chose not to offer support to Danny after Ruben's death and then chose to berate him for not coming to her with his grief on her terms. Then she chose to tell her boss it was a "mistake to get involved" with Danny in the first place. To blame Rikki for all of that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Rikki doesn't have some type of super mind control powers to make people behave a certain way and Danny and Lindsay are both adults who have the ability to make their own choices and accept the consequences of those choices.

2. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Speculating or not, TPTB see those numbers (and I'm sure they take them very seriously) and when they see the differences, they'd have to think back and wonder what caused the numbers to plummet.;)

I totally agree with this and even had they been married or in an actual relationship, Danny would have been the one to have that relationship with Lindsay, not Rikki. So, who's the homewrecker then? You can't make someone cheat. They choose to do that themselves.

Both options sound to me like the end of DL. Not everyone runs away from their memories and we STILL don't know if Rikki meant the memories in that apartment building OR neighborhood. After the scene in 4x16, Danny didn't want Rikki to leave. He made a point to try and keep here there with breakfast and then he finally started undressing her, which ended (the scene) in a pretty heated kiss. That is a much different situation than being used as a doormat for Lindsay and continuing to chase after her.

Maybe TPTB didn't bring her in to cause tension between DL. Maybe they brought her in to end DL once and for all. *shrug*

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Definitely gets a :thumbsup: from me! :D I'd love to see Rikki return. The Ruben storyline has definitely been one of my favorites. I love Danny drama--I admit it shamelessly. Carmine is always at his best when Danny is going through some big emotional trauma.

I wish they'd bring Louie back, I really do. But even Carmine has given up on that one. :lol: So I'd love to have the Rikki storyline continued, and see her come back into Danny's life. And their chemistry was amazing, so if they decide to make a go of a relationship, that would be awesome, too.

4. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

I agree with Dutch, just because he and you like it doesnt mean all of us have to. for me the storyline was out of the blue, stretched for too long and made Danny Boy act like a jerk.

sorry, but this is not a Carmine - show. he may be and excellent actor but Danny already had more drama then is healthy and it is slowly getting boring. just like Mac drama is. I would prefer if they give some storylines to other characters instead of making Danny the punching bag and bringing new characters in. why not use the ones they already have.

for me her return makes no sense. the only way I could see it happening would be the trial - that could be interesting. but that is one episode.

it looked to me like they both finally started to deal and heal from Rubens death in the episode she left. so coming back and especially coming back to him would be a stupid move from her, Im not even gonna start to talk about him going after her.

5. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Nobody said you had to. His answers from an official interview were quoted simply to show what he thought about it.

'Out of the blue'? Isn't every story line technically just as 'out of the blue' since we have no idea what happens until each episode airs? How is the Ruben storyline any more 'out of the blue' than any other major storyline? As for it being 'stretched for too long', it was only shown in about four episodes at most. If anything's been stretched for too long and has been torturing the fans, it's the DannyLindsay drama that has been dragged on for at least two years.

And 'Danny Boy'? Hate to burst your bubble but Danny is a man, not a boy. If you consider Danny's behavior to be like a 'jerk's', then what about Lindsay's behavior towards him, especially considering what he was going through? I dare say she was much worse than 'jerk' then.

Interesting how this reason only pops up whenever it's about Danny being a part of something that doesn't involve Lindsay. It is true that he's said Danny has had his share of stories, but since when does Rikki's return have to be a big deal? For all we know, Rikki returning could very well be finally some peace for Danny where he no longer has to deal with juvenile antics and endure being treated like crap for trivial reasons. And about Mac ... he is the main star of the show. Of course he'll always have storylines centered on his character!

Exactly. And since Lindsay's the main reason he's become a punching bag, it's perfectly logical that he shouldn't be her prop any longer and be his own person while she becomes her own person too.

Why is it so bad to have another recurring character? Adding one doesn't automatically mean bad news for the show. In fact, if it's done right, it can be a great bonus to it. As I said before, it's all about effective management of screen time for all the characters. If a show like Criminal Minds with seven main characters and numerous recurring characters can do it with style, any primetime show can if they give it their best shot.

Then there are those of us who feel her return makes total sense. A trial? There would be no trial if no one charges her with anything. She voluntarily went to the police station to be booked, and Flack made sure she didn't spend a single moment in jail. Even if Ollie Barnes were to press charges and there was trial, who do you think the jury's going to emphatize with? The robber whose crime caused an innocent, young boy to die, or the boy's single mother who became overwhelmed with grief at the tragic loss of her only son? Moreover, if there was a trial, Danny would be there for Rikki all the way, just like he was with her and for her the whole time in the past.

If you mean being upset and looking like they both want to cry at having to say goodbye to each other is 'healing'. There's nothing 'stupid' about her returning or about him searching for her. What is so 'stupid' about two people who have a deep connection with each other possibly wanting to start things afresh? Danny may have said using sex to ease their pain was a bad thing to do, but he sure never said he didn't want a relationship later on with Rikki or didn't want to stay emotionally connected to her. And (man, I've said this so many times in this thread and elsewhere :rolleyes:), Danny was the one who turned to Rikki. That alone already speaks volumes about the situation. So if Rikki appears on the show again, it makes sense he may look for her again.

I second that! :thumbsup:

6. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

7. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

I wholeheartly disagree with the first part and completly agree with the second one. I was talking more about Louie, the subway shooting, Aiden and so on.

yes, thats what I meant, because someone before mentioned it and I find the idea half-way interesting

thats what I call him when he does something I think is stupid.
    well, the man part is a little debatable, physically yes, he is a man, but lately he was acting a lot like a boy, but that is too much a matter of personal opinion to be really relevant

as for the bubble bursting, after visiting the NY thread for last year or so my bubble became impenetrable :lol:

which fans exactly? sorry but there are CSI NY fans who like the DL relationship although we dont always like the way they are handling it. and there definitely isnt enough of it to really torture you although I do have a feeling they are throwing it at us in too big doses too far between. I would prefer smaller things more often but that is TPTB trying to apease every one

I personally am tortured by the apereance of Angell but it seems a lot of people like her so I must suffer through. or close my eyes.

8. LME

LME Police Officer

This is obviously a very contentious issue which has caused much heated debate. Which could be what TPTB are after. I was quite surprised by the announcement on her website - I thought they gave her a very nice dignified exit.

I can only see her needed to return for the trial of the woman who shot Ruben but I am sure the writers know what they are doing - even if we don't! What ever happens with Rikki I just hope that they handle it right.

With regards to the ratings for the last few episodes - sorry if I am seem a bit dim but am I right in assuming that they are just the US ratings? It would be interesting to see ratings are like for the rest of the world. Unfortunately to me the end of season 4 just didn't quite live up to the start and although the finale was good I prefer finales for season 2 and 3 - perhaps the ratings more reflect this than the Danny/Lindsay issue.

9. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Yes, it's your choice what to agree and disagree with, not arguing with that at all. But I'll state for the record it wasn't me who said Lindsay made Danny a punching bag/prop, Mr. Giovinazzo did. :lol: And I wholeheartedly agree with him. That really, really has to end.

It's an interesting idea, yes. The thing is, all we got on the show about the woman who shot the fatal bullet that killed Ruben was Mac talking to her and her showing remorse at playing a major, if accidental, part in Ruben's death. If she were to go to trial, she would have to be charged for manslaughter or murder, and considering she fired her gun in self-defense during a robbery in which she was held at gun-point, the charge probably wouldn't stick to her so the chances of there being a trial is low.

:lol: If you had to ask that ... Heh, I know there are fans of DL, just like there are those who aren't. I was quoting Carmine Giovinazzo from his latest interview:

:lol: I love this guy. No more using him as a prop for Lindsay/DL, please, TPTB!

I think so too. If TPTB did request her to put it on her website, her return's sealed.

They're Nielsen ratings. According to that page, Nielsen operates in over 100 countries but I think the ratings I quoted reflect only the US ratings. I'm not sure about this. Hopefully someone has more information on it.

The rise and plummet of the ratings was throughout the latter half of the season, not just for the finale, and interestingly always coincided with DL drama. The finale itself already had a much lower viewer count than last year's, I believe by a million viewers, and this was even after two major spoilers announced via TVGuide for the finale ... which, incidentally, were DL-related. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  10. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

And I third that :thumbsup:

I think it will be magnificent for Rikki to return, no matter what does or doesn't happen between her and Danny.

One thing not really mentioned in this thread is the fact of Ruben's father. Where is he? How did he react to the news his son had been killed? I think that would be a good thing to explore, Ruben's father finding out. Is he even a part of Ruben's life? Would he care? Would HE blame Danny for what happened? I think that could make for an interesting storyline that has nothing to do with Lindsay whatsoever.

Another thing I don't understand is why does everything Danny does have to involve Lindsay? Why does everything Lindsay does have to involve Danny? I thought they were two seperate characters, individuals, some symbiotic organism. I think it's time they unstapled her from Danny and let her stand on her own.

What about the way they used the murder of FOUR teenage girls as a plot device just for Anna Belknap's maternity leave/to help Lindsay along? That was a plot device, wasn't it? Interesting how no one found that cheapening. :rolleyes:

Face it, from what Carmine has said in his interviews, and Lindsay's lines, that ship has sailed away, likely for good. Notice, through most of Season 4 there was nothing between them. No intimate moments whatsoever. Then, Lindsay says that she has to let her love for him go, and that she wishes she'd never gotten involved with a co-worker.

I mean, I hate even bringing it up here, mostly because this isn't a ship thread. Just because Rikki Sandoval comes back doesn't mean she'll rekindle her relationship with Danny. There are any number of ways that TPTB could bring her back. She could be involved in a case somehow, she and Danny could run into each other, Ruben's father could come around and find out what happened to his son, and HE could blame Danny, or there could be a trial of the bodega owner who did shoot Ruben.

None of those things have anything whatsoever to do with Lindsay Monroe. Not a thing. Besides, throughout the whole Ruben story arc, Lindsay did nothing for Danny. All she did was berate him about not remembering her birthday and not coming to him for support on HER terms. She never offered him any support, whatsoever.

Contrast this with when Lindsay was having all kinds of issues in Season 3 with remembering her "hard time" when her friends got murdered. Danny offered her support, even flew across the country for her, and was rebuked at just about every turn. Then, when Danny is in agony, Lindsay screeches about being reduced to some shallow clingy girlfriend, and tells him he's hard to love. Hypocritical much?

Note that Rikki never did anything of the sort. She offered him support and understanding, telling him he was a sweet man. When she told him that she decided to move, both of them were in agony, because there was a mutual connection there. Before she told him that, they were both very happy to see each other.

I think that Rikki returning can only do good things for the show. If she comes back as a recurring character, I think it would be fantastic. I see any number of positive things, none of them which involve Lindsay.

11. LME

LME Police Officer

I think that Rebuns father would be an interesting plot line, and perhaps this could be part of Rikki's return. As it would be interesting to see her interact with other cast members not just Danny. People ask why does everything Danny does has to involve Lindsay, well I have another type of question - Why does everything Rikki does have to involve Danny?

If the ratings for the second half of the second "plummeted" could it be that perhaps that people were just not enjoy the season as much as the previous ones. Let just hope that they writers don't stike again so that we can get a full season

12. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Yeah, the possibility of Ruben's father returning was mentioned. :) It is interesting Rikki was a single mother. I would think the father would have attended his son's funeral though, so if Danny had attended it, they would have met there. If Ruben's father was alive and didn't attend it ... oh yeah, I'd be curious to know why. I can see Danny letting loose a few punches on the guy if he turned out to be an uncaring a-hole who couldn't care less about his kid's death.

That's the fun of it, eh? Wondering about all the possibilities for Rikki's return! :D I'm just happy to know she'll appear again on the show. She's already a wonderful character on her own.

Because Danny is the major link Rikki has to the show. He's the only character from the main cast she's actively interacted with in her appearances on the show so far. She was Danny's next door neighbor and her only son was in Danny's care. Her son was tragically killed in a robbery that he investigated and he had to tell her the bad news in person ... and that's just some of it. Now if she had interacted with other characters as much as she did with Danny, the question would have been a valid one. But she's a recurring character who's only appeared for minutes at a time with Danny. So naturally, Rikki's return would involve him.

The ratings didn't continuously plummet, though. It went up and down with a rather discernable pattern which I had already speculated in an earlier post in this thread.

And wha, there won't be any writers' strike. :confused: The only potential strike at the moment is an SAG one.

13. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

I havent read the interview but if I read that line I would think he was talking about all the back and forth in the relationship in the last 2 seasons and for the writers not clearly stating what kind of relationship they are in. because that was a torture.

I may be wrong but I think that story line was there for Lindsay from the beginning they only used it earlier because of her pregnacy. if im not mistaken the first hint to it was in Manhattan Manhunt. so no, it is not the same.

after the disaster that was S4 - as a whole, there were some outstanding episodes, I dont hold my breath for the writters knowing what they are doing. sometimes I get the feeling that they dont really know what the others are doing. and that is not a good impression to get even in a show were contunuity isnt playing a major part of the plot

14. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I haven't taken the time to read through this whole thread yet, but I just wanted to drop in and show my support.

I'd love to see Rikki come back next season. I loved her character, and I especially loved the interaction between her and Danny.

I fully support Rikki coming back :D

15. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Rikki was booked and arraigned so she was charged with something. Flack saying she wouldn't spend time in jail was referring to after she was arraigned. He would make sure she was released on her own recognizance. There would still be a trial if she plead not guilty at the arraignment and if she plead guilty there would be a sentencing hearing. So there is the possibility that resolving her taking Danny's gun and going after Ollie Barnes is the reason she's coming back.

I highly doubt they're going to go the route of her going through some messy trial and making her out to be a hardened criminal who gets jail time, but resolving the issue would be a reason to bring her back initially and then take it from there.