"A Thousand Days on Earth" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I have to agree with you, Zodiac on that issue. Once I saw the kids fighting in the police station I had a feeling that was what went down.

It was a good episode. I did like Catherine's comment to Hodges too about the little girl. Any child's death is tragic, no matter how they look.

I did feel bad for that guy sort of but he would have freaked me out too had he come at me like he came at Catherine.

Lots of Brass in this episode and his famous sarcasm.:)

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

^I agree as well. When they first found her, I was thinking about "Gentle, Gentle" and thought it must have been the parents that put her there.

It was a good episode. I've gotta say tho I'm still afraid they're straying farther and farther from the forensics part. The guy put his St. Jude card on the girl. C'mon...you mean they couldn't get a print off of it and find his record in the system?? :wtf:

3. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Oh very good point, Smokey. I had not even thought of that. But at least this CSI still has more forensics overall compared to the spin-offs, which to me are just cop shows now.

4. 27dayz

27dayz Police Officer

I honestly thought that this episode was one of the best in season 8 so far. The case, despite being tragic, was engaging. The whole time, I was thinking about who could have done something like that. I will admit it was a bit repetitive with the siblings accidently killing her and the parents covering it up, but sometimes a show has to move back to go forwards. If the little girl had been murdered, it would have shown people that their pretty little world is not so pretty. It's not a bad thing to tell people that the world is not always safe, but its human nature to want to resist that idea. People want to believe that the world is safe and it really messes with us when we realize it isn't.

But anyways, all in all, it was a great episode. It reminded me of the first couple of seasons. I haven't been that engaged with an episode in a long time. I was on the edge of my seat until the end scene faded to black. I did feel sorry for the guy, but if he had been honest with his fiance in the first place and told her of his mistakes, then she probably wouldn't have been so blindsided. I'm not defending the detectives and CSIs; they made mistakes too, and those mistakes, combined with his own, contributed to his doom. I wonder if that storyline will progress.

5. idahomom

idahomom Hit and Run

SMOKEY...You are so smart.:thumbsup: Wouldn't his fingerprints be on her clothing since he carried her? Or his fingerprints on the box? Or like you mentioned on the necklace? What a great catch!!! I guess in the craziness to finish the season they missed some stuff.

Overall the episode was good and kept me guessing until almost the end.
    • I agree about the lack of forensics.
    • I wish there had been a "B" story too. I'm not sure the "A" was strong enough for a stand alone episode.
    • I would have liked some more Greg in it.
    • I loved how Grissom pushed Hodges to talk to Wendy.
    • I wished Grissom had pushed back more with Catherine instead of letting her run wild with the investigation.
    • I felt sorry for "Dean James."
    • I'm glad that it wasn't a tidy episode (police shooting of wife). That's how life is... messy.

6. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

:lol: I've just been playing the CSI computer games too much lately. My mind is in "collect the evidence" mode.

A "B" story would have been nice,...something for everyone else to do. Sorry about the lack of Greg-ness. I noticed that too. I think if it's a big enough case to fill the hour, then they should all be working on it and all seen.

It almost felt like they were setting the stage for Wendy to go out into the field with that scene.

I thought Catherine was a bit harsh with Hodges. I mean, I don't think he was saying it's a shame it happened to a pretty little girl. He was saying it's a shame it happened and that she was a pretty little girl.

7. dandylion

dandylion Hit and Run

Yeah. I can see why that seemed harsh. But. I kind of liked that moment because he said something innocently and she, being caught up in the sadness of it all, came at him so defensively. I love when the writers let these characters be flawed and snap at each other when they're stressed. Like real life.

8. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

A couple things first of all -
    1. The guy in prison whose girl was killed - has he been in a previous episode? He looks very familiar.
    2. The cartoon showing on the tv as Cath & Gil searched the house - is that the same cartoon they showed back in Spark of life (season 5) when Cath & Warrick entered the dark house? Maybe not.

My thoughts:
    I think the storyline is one of the darkest and quietest episodes they've done.

Gil's constant quiet watching over Cath to see how far she'd go and ready to step in if need be was refreshing to finally see after so long.

I hope they get Wendy into the field soon. I'm glad that Gil was pleased with her initial analysis.

What was with Greg's 10-second appearance? Either have him in again somewhere else or leave him out of the episode altogether. It didn't make sense for the brief appearance.

Brass was cool as usual, but it still makes me miss Sofia. They could have used a second cop in this one.

Anyone else get a Last Laugh deja vu to start?

(for my full review, you can go here)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  9. Toots

Toots Pathologist

If you blinked, you missed the 5 seconds that Greg was on. If they were going to have him all but absent from an episode, the least they could have done was mention something like, oh I don't know...maybe he got his CSI Level II? It's just a thought anyway. Too bad the idea can't occur in any of the writers heads.

Hodges is such a smarmy jerk. Kudos to Catherine for knocking him down a bit.

I understand why Brass and the CSI guys have to question the suspects in a hostile, interrogative style, but I don't enjoy it. I wonder if there is any legal recourse that a person can take after he or she is questioned in such an accusatory manner?

Grissom looks good.

10. mslakerz43

mslakerz43 Dead on Arrival

Overall I thought the episode was good. I loved the quietness of the episode, it made me internalize the episode much more. I like that CSI got a lil political between Hodges and Catherine. Cat's arguemnt was quite true the majority of the missing persons that are seen on TV are attractive white women of various ages. It was a good point to make. Furthermore, I thought the end scene with Catherine was great, it was a great build up of tension. The guy had a strong point even though he clearly did not express it in the right way. It was a smart way to end a dark episode.

11. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

First of all, this was fashioned after a real life case here, [Sarah Goldfinger knew about this] about a year ago, and little Hispanic girl was found in a trash dumspter, and was killed & they found out after a long time by her stepfather, in the commercial it had it on our news, and also the newscaster was our own Paula Francis, a local CBS reporter. The case was horrible of course, sad and traumatic. I didn't really get the dyed, curled hair, it never brought that out later who did that & why:confused: [and BTW they used to dye and curl Shriley Temples hair]. I didn't really see this as a Cath centered ep. they were all horrified and sad at this case Nick, Warrick Doc, Hodges, Wendy, Grissom and her, and poor Greg, hardly in it I guess they didn't feel he needed to be that strong of a force this week, I thought it was a bit strange when Gris directly asked Wendy the answers and pushed Hodges out of the way, so to speak. And Cath was a little off the wall and jumped all over poor Hodges, who I usually can hardly tolerate, but felt a little sorry for him. he didn't man anything harmful by his "pretty little girl" comment. And he little girls father did seem familiar, was he in 'Snakes" or "ABRTI":confused: I thought Brass and Cath were closer in this, then her and Grissom, he seemed a bit removed. The ditzy girlfriend of freaky Dean James, good role. Brass's hilarious remarks on the "sun god" that Dean was telling him when he was high! "Sounds beautiful, sorry I missed it":lol: the last scene was intense, the freak waiting for Cath, scary:klingon: boy she sure gets herself in some hairy predicaments:rolleyes:thank gawd for the gun, she in his mind did ruin his life:( all in all good ep. kept my interest!

William Petersen gets better and better, and lord he's handsome:drool: I miss Sara!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  12. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

according to imdb.com, Raymond Cruz, the guy who played the father of the dead girl, was in 3x22 Play with fire as a different character, Miguel Delgado.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  13. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

He was in "Play with Fire" where the lady was found by the teenagers in the high school's football press box.

I thought the episode was good.

Grissom pushing Hodges to the side to have Wendy analyze, I'm sure this is setting her up to go in the field

I think Catherine should have been harsh with Hodges about his comment. No, I don't think they way the little girl looked made her death any more tragic than any other child who was murdered.

I think Catherine pushed too much with the first suspect. I found his story believable and his record backed up his story. When she said that sex offenders escalate, it upset me because the guy never sexually molested anyone. He was high and was dancing nude, that doesn't make you a sexual predator. I like that Grissom called her on that, basically that she was spending too much time on this suspect. Even Grissom didn't think he was guilty. I kind of felt sorry for the guy, however, he can't blame Catherine for his predictament. He should have been truthful with his fiance. I mean he did the drugs and danced nude. How many times do people have to be told that drugs are bad? But I also think Catherine and Brass pushed too hard with him.

I wonder if they are going to revisit with Dean going after Catherine?

As for the fingerprints, you, actually, don't leave fingerprints on every type of surface and/or you can't lift fingerprints on every type of surface. So I don't thing you could get fingertprints for clothes. For the Saint Jude necklace, they should've been able to get one from there. As for the cardboard box, maybe fingerprints don't show up cardboard or did Catherine say she didn't see any?

14. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I was very intrigued by this ep, even though the little girl in the box was hard to stomach. And Catherine's point to Hodges was valid, it doesn't matter what the person looks like, it's their job to find out who killed them.

Though Cath and Brass were just following the lead of the box owner and the arm hair, they were a bit forceful with Dean James. I do have a bit of pity for him, but he is the one who choose to get so high that he had no idea what was going on and run around naked. He said he was forced to sign up for Megan's List, and to the extent of the force we have no idea. Though I'm sure a lawyer would have said not to sign, but again we don't know if he had one or the quality of lawyer.m He has no one to blame but himself, he wasn't honest with his fiance, living under a different name and trying to hide from his own mistakes. In the end they always come back to bite someone in the arse.

The story line was a bit recycled with the siblings accidently killing another and the parent cover up, but there was a different twist with the man in jail asking his cellmate to look after the wife.

Good thing I didn't blink at the halfway mark or I would have missed Greg. Sheesh what did Eric do to piss of the writers?! :rolleyes: There was more Hodges and Wendy, not that I don't like Wendy it's Hodges I could have done without. Hodges was being an overall pain with his cockyness. I'm glad Grissom pushed him back and asked Wendy about the hair, just goes to show that the louder people don't always get the lime light.

Overall I give this ep a 7/10.

15. beaujolais

beaujolais Lab Technician

The guy lied to Catherine and Brass and lying to the police (and a CSI) doesn't go over very well. Maybe if he'd been up front with them from the beginning, they wouldn't have been so tough on him but like you say, he has no one to blame but himself.