Cancellation of a CSI series

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by ComicCollect_NL, Dec 11, 2010.

?

I would cancel....

Poll closed Jan 10, 2011.
  1. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. CSI: Miami

33 vote(s)
    56.9%
  3. CSI: New York

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  4. Neither of them

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. ComicCollect_NL

ComicCollect_NL Witness

That's up to CBS. If the show doesn't run in the US, and it does run internationally. Why not keep producing it, and "export" it for those countries?

2. robotnik22

robotnik22 Rookie

I could'nt agree with you more :)

3. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

As much as I hate to say it, all shows have their end dates. I hope when the time comes, that CSI concludes on a high note, even if not on a pinnacle. 11 seasons or more is a magnificent accomplishment that very, very few TV shows ever enjoy and CSI:Vegas has achieved that very goal. 12 or 13th being the final ones that remains to be seen but CSI has enjoyed being on the air for more than a decade and I'm so proud of the crew, cast , producers, and writers for sustaining the flagship show for so long. :D

4. electra

electra Pathologist

I want all of them to survive becouse they all have fans but I for sure can live without Miami.Vegas is not the same but it's still a very good show.I do not watch NY regularly but is better then last season and Sela Ward is really good, IMO.In respect to Miami,I still enjoy Eric and Calleigh but is getting so ridiculous that I can not even watch a whole episode.

5. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I'm pretty sure all of the CSI's are way too expensive to produce for that to happen. The networks import shows from other countries because they are generally cheaper, ie Flashpoint from Canada. CBS makes money overseas on the franchise, but that's not enough to offset production costs. Syndication is better since there are no production costs at stake in reruns.

The decision to cancel any of the CSI's will be made solely for economic reasons, not because of any polls. Mendelsohn and Co. have said they are in it til CBS doesn't need or want them anymore. I think CBS still needs all 3. They have slipped in ratings, but they are still doing better than any of their new shows. The good news is that all shows will be around for a long time in syndication, unlike some shows that I have loved that are just... gone.

6. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

Exactly. Production in the U.S. means they can take advantage of a 300 million population base. The foreign TV market just would not support the cost of producing new shows only for them. IIRC, the cost per episode of the original CSI in 2001 was $900,000 per episode, and I'm sure it's gone up from there. CBS only put up $200,000 per episode to start--Alliance Atlantis had foot the bill for the rest.

Not to mention that you have to translate it into German and French. I'm sure some of the colloquialisms in English get lost. You can only go so far with,

Frank: "Was auch immer sich abtragt, die Eheschiedung koztz mich an."
    H: "Frank, est ist ein Mörder."
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

or the ubiquitous, "Eric, wir sind nach Brasilien gegangen." :guffaw:

7. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Not sure if that's why MK left but you're 100% right on why CBS put CSI Miami and New York where they did.
    They did the same thing to Cold Case. They put it in a time slot they knew would do poorly, then used the "ratings" excuse to ax it.
    More to the point,logic sometimes doesn't come into the equation when it comes to canceling shows.

8. luf100

luf100 Coroner

Haha I knew Miami would have the most votes. :lol: For me, it'd probably be New York. I've just never really liked it for some reason. :/

Of course, I don't want ANY of them cancelled, but it'll happen someday.

9. ComicCollect_NL

ComicCollect_NL Witness

10. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

I wouldn't be surprised if both CSI: Miami & NY ended their runs next year and they started a fourth series with unknown actors. They have to be paying David Caruso, Gary Sinise, and others who have been there for years out the wazoo by now.

11. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

I recently checked the renew/cancel index of CBS and to my shock, CSI:NY's index has fallen from 0.58 to 0.51. This is only 0.07 above "Medium" which was cancelled this season.

It is truly sad that we could very well see at least one or two CSI's be gone after this season. As for a fourth one with unknown actors, I'd be up for it. :) I hope they'll pick a lesser known city or even a small city as opposed to a large one. Too many NY-themed Shows. I would be totally up for a CSI: Chicago or even CSI: Milwaukee but I'd like the franchise to retire the current ones first.

12. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

This was posted today by Marc Berman on Mediaweek, and includes a recent quote from CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler:

Although somewhat vague in terms of Miami and NY, it sounds as if CBS is okay with their performances, so it may offer more hope that they will be around next year. The key point here, I think, is that they are giving some stability to nights that historically have been fairly weak.

13. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

According to TV Guide from Aug 2010:

(TV dramas, per episode)

Caruso & Helgenberger: $375K (tied with Mark Harmon for 3rd)
    Fishburne: $350K, #6
    Sinise: $275K, #9

no other CSI franchise actors are in the top 40, which cut off at around $50K per episode. Hugh Laurie was #1, Chris Meloni and Mariska Hargitay make $395K each.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Top-TV-Earners-1021717.aspx

14. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

I trust words from a tv executive about as much as I do from a politician...not very much.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  15. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

You know, I wonder if this would work: Do not shut down the CSI franchise by any means but when one of the current three ends, either via cancellation or comes to a natural end, a new CSI at another city can be born. I.E., we could have CSI: San Diego, or CSI:Detroit, when the Vegas, Miami, or New York ones live out their lives on TV.

I've become much, much more aware of how ingrained the CSI saga is with the network and believing how detrimental it would be to the network ot just cancel one abruptly or more, I think instead, they should plan a fourth one, to take over when one of the current shows comes to and end.

Many might disagree with me on this and I'm totally okay with it. :) It just crossed my mind that perhaps the franchise should rotate cities for shows, so lesser known places (I.E. Omaha, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee, Seattle) can get their place in the spotlight. :) I think New York should get a break for a while. Too many TV Shows there at the moment IMO.