"Man Up" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Jan 3, 2011.

1. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Personally, overall I don't think the storyline wasn't one of CSI's stronger ones, but I still enjoyed it. Light and a little fun without being ridiculous. And surprisingly enough....I much as I hate to admit it, but I too enjoyed Carrot Tops little scene. Glad it was only a smaller role though...the guy gives me the creeps. And seeing the picture of him half naked *shutters* and draped across zebra print is an image I too wanna forget. :lol:

In the beginning when the spoilers came out for this episode, I just assumed that, seeing as Carrot Top is a props comedian, he would have been the prime suspect to steal Spartans gear. Never once did I think that there were other possibilities or suspects that could have taken it. My mind had already been set.

I was so happy to see Mandy back for a rare appearance...and for more then just one scene. Last time we seen her, her hair was shorter, but it looked great tonight.

And of course, being me, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Hodges. While I am still not completely sold with his venturing out into the field more often, I'll take whatever the writers/producers gives me. Lab coat or vest...I ain't picky. :lol:

2. KFK

KFK Witness

I'm a fan of CSI, but even I have to admit this was not one of my favorite episodes. IMO, if you know who did it within the first 10-15 min. of the show...it wasn't a good episode. Come on, the second they interviewed the group of college buds, you knew it was the nerdy guy seeking revenge on his friends. And, to top it off, you knew the junk yard guys were involved in some way on the other case. Not to use a pun, but to use a pun...I think the writers wrote this one in. Hopefully, they're well rested after their holiday break, and the scripts get less predictable. As I said before, I'm a fan of CSI, and I'm sorry to say, this episode will not be saved for any future viewing...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  3. kaybee988

kaybee988 Witness

I thought it was good episode. Not really memorable but I loved seeing Nick and Greg work together and Nick give Greg back his $100 :lol:
    It was good to see Marshall from Alias on tv again too. :D

4. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

The episode was okay, but something felt off. I don't know if it was the flow or the writing, but something didn't really connect. Disjointed, in a way.

The A case was the more enjoyable of the two for me. I liked the fact that it was Nick and Greg working together and even betting about it. Though I feel that Nick should have called the bet an equal win in the beginning. The picture itself online might not have been the murder scene, but Greg's belief it was one (which was wrong! :lol:) did reveal an actual one.

Loved Mandy. I always felt she looked better with short hair, but if she keeps it in the "Wendy-do", I'll still be happy. :devil:

And I laughed at Greg's reference to the film 300 when talking to the Spartan. Pop culture humor is always the best. :lol: And Carrot Top was actually good. :wtf: He was just himself, not even the comedian. I was impressed.

I was actually surprised by the ending. When the idiot-out-of-towners were first describing the game, I figured it was the boyfriend who got jealous/angry at the vic and did her in. I honestly didn't see it being the loser-out-of-towner until the reveal. Huh.

The B case was really out of left field for me. I get the whole 'Hodges bringing his bike to Ray cause it's broke' angle. But everything after was really convoluted. Can he go into the field on his own without an official investigator? Does he have the ability to spark an investigation bringing Det. Vartann into it? And when did he start actively wanting to be in the field? I understand he's having a crisis spurred on by Wendy's leaving, but still. It felt really off. I did like Ray here though. His looks to Hodges during their talk with the ex-girlfriend were great! :lol:

So, okay episode. Several funny bits but nothing too memorable. Meh.

5. Elayne

Elayne Police Officer

I got the impression that Ray was overseeing Hodges' little investigation. After Hodges dug up the info on the bus crash, Ray probably went to Cath. She signs off on it becoming an official case and a detective was assigned.

6. electra

electra Pathologist

Well, I liked it.Maybe becouse it has been a while since we had a new one .I liked seing Greg so confident and his friendship with Nick is always a plus.I have no idea about carrot top but overall it was funny.But I missed Sara.

7. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Ah, but the bet was "Is the girl in this photo dead?". And she was not. :) I liked Nick giving the money back at the end tho after seeing how the whole betting thing with the other guys went way, way too far. Kind of soured the fun of the original bet.

The writer on this one also wrote "Lying Down With Dogs". Not one of my favorites either, but just okay. This one felt to me, as others have said, a bit off.

I'm tired of so many humorous ones lately tho...the ones where they have that funky music over a scene that tells you, "Get ready! Something silly is about to happen!" Too many silly scenes does not a good crime show make.

Would have liked more Catherine, although I know she's wanting less time there.

I really, really think TPTB are listening to us. Last night we had Ray providing sort of an explanation for Hodges being in the field. :lol:

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

That was funny. I love snarky Brass.

He starred in his own movie a few years back "Chairman of the Board". I didn't care for the movie very much, but I guess his acting was okay.

As much as I love the two of them as a couple, I'm glad the show can have them both on an episode and not have them attached to each other's hip like some other shows have done with other couples.

I didn't think she looked the same either. Maybe its because she usually has her glasses on.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that lol. At first when I saw her with the ponytail, I got confused and thought she was Wendy until they closed in on her face lol.

Hands DJ a bottle of brain bleach. I had to use it after that picture lol. Cath looked like she wanted some too lol.

That's what I thought he was going to do too.

That's the part where I laughed the hardest hehe.

Same here. I didn't think the three guys had anything to do with it. I thought it would be the boyfriend or that the girl had a pimp and that's who had killed her. I was shocked that it was one of the three guys. And what a stupid reason too. He did it half because she called him stupid and he couldn't take that from someone like her and half to get back at his buddies, to one up them. The reasons are always so dumb. I know people do that for real and all, but these people are so stupid to think they're actually going to get away with killing someone and get their revenge when in the end they lose everything and have to spend their life in jail if not get the DP.

I liked the episode a lot to be honest. I enjoyed Hodges scenes as well... even though I was a bit confused by Ray saying that Hodges wanted to be in the field more, when Hodges has stated before that he hated the field work. I loved the scenes with Nick and Greg.

Loved the beginning scene with Nick, Greg, Hodges and Mandy all teasing each other. And Nick and Greg making a bet with each other reminds me of Nick and Warrick always making bets.

Did anyone else think of the scene in Princess Bride (where Billy Crystal says "mostly dead") when Greg said "most sincerely dead"? I forgot about the song from Wizard of Oz until Nick called Greg "Dorothy" lol.

Nick: You know what's really insane? Betting against me. (holds out hand for money) Let's go, baby. :lol:

I loved Nick being silly and playful in this episode. And yeah, Greg... you should know not to bet against Nick because if I recall, Warrick always lost when he bet against Nick lol.

I loved Nick's grin when he says to the vic's boyfriend, "you don't mind if we look around, do you?"

Loved Cath's expression when she saw the pic of Carrot Top. She looked like she wished she hadn't seen that lol.

Did Carrot Top just say that the girl had nice "high beams"? Classy. :rolleyes: LOL.

Hodges and Ray wearing similiar shirts made me LOL.

Guy: What guy's gonna dress like a Spartan if he doesn't have to?
    Greg: I can think of about 300. :guffaw:

Archie to Greg: When you were on your bathroom break with the Spartan. :lol:

Twisted bucket list- yikes.

"We'll always have comi-con."

What's a Maybach? I've never heard of that car I don't think.

I knew Nick would give back the money. His expression when the killer stated his motive made me want to hug him (not that I don't always want to anyway lol).

Slightly off topic, but... During "The Mentalist", there was this Cadillac commercial and I could have sworn that it was LF's voice doing the voice over. Anyone know if he's done a voice over for them?

9. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I loved the 300 comment too. The kid totally did not get it but I did.

10. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

Agree that this wasn't the most exciting CSI ep ever but there was some nice character moments:

Great to see Mandy back (didn't recognise her at first)

Greg's interactions with Archie, Nick, Catherine, and the Spartan were fun to watch, especially liked the 300 comment.

Wasn't too sure about Carrot Top when i first heard he would be in the ep but the back and forth between him and Brass was great.

Nice little reference to Sam Braun (Marg's facial expression when talking about the inspiration for the costumes made me laugh).

It was refreshing to see them have both Catherine and Vartann in the same episode but not have a scene together (although i'd still like to know where their relationship stands). Iit would of been nice for both of them too of had more to do in the ep though. When Hodges said to Vartann to keep the bike i had this image of him and Catherine riding of home at the end :lol:.

Thought the motorbike case was a bit odd but i really liked the way Ray acted this episode, it was just right. The little looks he sent hodges whilst they were interviewing the woman were spot on. I did wonder whether the wardrobe department for CSI have a discount on checkered shirts though :).

Alot of people have commented on Hodges sudden interest in field work, personally i don't find it odd that someone might change their mind about working in the field. The part where Hodges says 'i'm done with the open road' made me think that they might be moving on from the whole weird post-wendy behaviour and going back to labrat Hodges.

11. Gremine

Gremine Rookie

I couldn't see the last ten minutes of the eppy but i decided i can live with that. So? Yes funny episode but that's all.

My favourite part is the begining.
    Mandy was back, Archie was back! Nick and Greg were working together. Screentime is ok with every character i think. Cath's expressions made me laugh. Hodges's shirt was almost same as Ray's shirt but i didn't pay attention to their case.

Nick and Greg's case reminded me of the Art Imitates Life episode.
    I saw the ''boyfriend'' actor on Fringe and he was the bad guy there. It was also nice to see Amy Acker as a guest star. I always thought her acting is understated and natural.

And note to myself : maybe you should give a break to watch series. Sometimes it's annoying to think hmmm where did i see this guy before, where this woman played...

12. PraetorCorvinus

Indeed, but if your quote is the actual dialogue and terms of the contract, then I would call it a half-truth. The girl in the photo is dead, just not in that photo. If I were Nick, I would have conceded saying that Greg was wrong about the scene depicted in the photo, but the photo did create a scene - so no one wins. Then again, I'm not one for sticking to the strict rules of a bet. Especially if I'm losing it... :D

13. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Catching me on semantics, are ya? :shifty: I can see how you might win a few bets! :lol::p

14. PraetorCorvinus

I always make sure that the bets I enter are open to interpretation. Unless I'm the one setting the terms. I'm such a bastard. :lol:

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I thought it was okay. It had some interesting moments and I felt bad for the guy because his friends were jerks.

Mandy was back..so good to see her. Her sarcasm was sorely missed!

More Mandy, more Mandy CSI!!!!