Alex Carter/Det. Vartann #2

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by ladyhunter, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Happy Birthday Alex!!!Have a nice b-day!!!

2. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I have to say, despite the riff or whatever that was between Catherine and Lou, I have to say Vartann's sarcastic sense of humor has returned. Unfortunately it was aimed at Catherine, but that is part of his character.

I like his softer side, but I also like to see the rougher aspects of his personality. Make him a bit more human.

It's nice to see Alex have more to work with, Vartann's romantic side vs his grittier side.

Just hope he doesn't blow it with Catherine.

3. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

Agree, i went Yay sarcastic- 'sometimes needs to think before he speaks' -vartann is back, oooo it's aimed at catherine, not so yay :lol:.

Vartann's face in this picture really made you feel for him, it's like he needs a hug :).
    Wildlife

It was also nice to see the interogation scene, it's been mentioned that alex plays Vartann as though he doesn't believe a word a suspects saying and he turned out to be right about Dana knowing more than she let on.

In other shows that alex has done it's obvious he's quite athletic, we need a Vartann chasing a suspect scene.

Saw that he'll be in the January 6th episode (episode 11), can't wait for january now!

4. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I love it when Vartann is sarcastic. It's one of the characteristic I like more about him.

I hope Cath doesn't blow it with him ;). I guess I'm more on Vartann's side in all this :lol:.

5. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

Likewise.. he's a good guy, and seems to want to put more into the relationship than she does at this point. Hope he doesn't get hurt if she's not ready.

I also really want to see him working on a case without her too. He was a detective long before he was "Cath's love interest."

6. ladywillows

ladywillows Dead on Arrival

i agree he's a good guy, but in my opinion he wants too much from catherine. she's not ready to start a serious relationship, especially for what she had in past. she've never been lucky with the men, so i can understand why she wants to take other time. i know he really wants to stay with her but he has to give her more time...
    so i always thought his character was really fine, but for cath is the last season so i'd like to see him with her, i totally love their moments together. obviously i hope next season he will appear frequently.

7. byline

byline CSI Level One

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but until I was channel-surfing the other day and came across a repeat of "Due South," I didn't realize that a much younger Alex Carter played a role in that show, too. The character seemed to be somewhat similar to Vartann!

8. ladyhunter

I haven't seen Due South. Or very much of it. I know Alex has done some Canadian TV shows. Unfortunately, as close as we are to Canada, I can't see any of them. :(

9. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

Loved due south as a kid (still do) they're currently re-showing it on british TV, it's weird seeing a younger Alex. His FBI character on the show is a real jerk, he's gets punched in the face and knee'd in the groin on separate occasions :lol:.

You can watch the episodes on youtube if you want to Ladyhunter, you'll find them under Du3 $outh ;).

This one with Leslie Nielsen (and alex) was always my favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7atcCzhI1k&feature=related

10. ladyhunter

Anyone else sort of wondering why Vartann was in the other night's episode? He seemed very out of place working with Hodges. To me, I though he should have worked the dead hooker case (with or without Catherine). My thought that they even had him in the episode was to prove Vartann is not Mr. Catherine Willows. :lol:

11. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

I didn't find him out of place at all. The dead hooker case already had Brass working it, and Hodges/Ray needed a detective for their case. It was a crime they were investigating, and did involve a dead body. It's not the first time the "homicide" detectives have been involved in non-fatal cases, and it makes more sense from a show point of view to just use an existing character (we've already got one new detective this season!).

I really liked seeing that he's still Detective Vartann, and hasn't been reduced to Mr. Catherine, but I don't feel that he was forced into the episode just to show that.

12. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I guess what I found weird about him being there was that he was paired with Hodges. I don't think that had happened before, so I agree that he looked kind of awkward but for me it was the fact that he was just with Hodges.

13. ladyhunter

Finally watched the episode. We got to see a vulnerable Vartann. His was his usual self with the "what are you a bomb magnet" to Nicky. That made me laugh.

Him and Cath's scene wasn't overly gushy either. I like that and like that about their relationship.

But I'm pretty sure we won't see him again until Cath's final episodes.

I would like to see him though after Cath leaves.

Anyone else?

14. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

Vartann's warehouse scenes nearly gave me a heart-attack!!!!

I'm beginning to believe that the CSI writers have some strange vendetta against the detectives!!! :lol: They always seem to end up shot, or killed, or blown up, or whatever horrible thing the writers can imagine!

So glad to see he made it through alive! Vartann has definitely become one of my most favorite characters on this show!

And I really really hope he stays on even after Catherine leaves, he is a good strong solid character on his own too so I hope they won't just drop him because Catherine is gone.

15. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

Whenever Vartann goes sans tie he seems to be more sarcastic :lol:. Such a great line to Nick about being a bomb magnet and his frustration when Kip said 'both' about the bomb timer made me laugh.

I tensed up when they concentrated on Vartann crossing the wooden palletts, i thought for sure that he was about to go boom!.

When he said 'smarter than me that's for sure' i like the way he kinda admitted that he should of been a bit more careful.

Thought the way he handled being shot was very in keeping with Vartann's character although it was sweet how he capitulated to Cath taking care of him- he knows who's boss :).

I also like his interaction with Nick, if vartann does come back next season (and his would be the only eps i watch) it'd be nice to see more scenes with the two of them. I can imagine Nick being like the protective brother of Cath over the Cath/Vartann relationship.