"SQWEEGEL" Discussion **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by DJRideout, Oct 9, 2010.

1. waiting4summer

waiting4summer Police Officer

I don't want to be around this week when Smokey and DJ shut this thread down..... <running off to write my own fan fiction that has the characters being and doing what I want> :lol:

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Oh, we're here...watching...and waiting... :rommie:

Discussion is good. Different opinions are good. Just stay respectful of your fellow posters. :)

3. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

I don't think its Catherine who needs to hear you but the writers!

Also I agree what the majority says about the hourglass scene...:rolleyes:

4. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

I'm pretty sure Nick and Greg were exchanging looks (definitely of the "WTF" variety). Catherine's look may have been more directed at the two of them (sort of "come on guys, yes he's saying stuff we already know, but you don't have to roll your eyes") than directly in respose to Ray, but even she was just waiting for the lesson to finish, not hearing something new and groundbreaking.

Of course, none of this is saying that Ray isn't intelligent. He is. It just seems that in this scene in particular, he forgot that he was talking to colleagues with just as much experience as himself, and went into "professor" mode. Considering that he WAS a professor, it's understandable - but so is his colleagues' confusion and/or annoyance at being talked to like students.

5. frickangel

frickangel Prime Suspect

Didn't think of it that way. If it's true, then maybe--just maybe--someone in TPTB is noticing just how much Langston is being sold to be a forensic prodigy.

6. anncorcam

anncorcam Victim

I was very brave today by going through an an automatic carwash today. I will say I had my eye on the rearview mirror the whole time!

7. waiting4summer

waiting4summer Police Officer

I'm very proud of you!! My own car was washed by hand this weekend. :lol:

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I so need to watch the hourglass scene again because I didn't notice the looks the team was exchanging with each other. I think I was still writing down thoughts about the previous scene. :lol:

9. anncorcam

anncorcam Victim

There were definately looks! I recognized them because I make them regularly at a coworker who talks down to people all the time! It is a reflex now. I can't help myself! lol!

10. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I haven't seen the whole episode yet, but I had to watch the "hourglass" scene to see what all the hub bub was about. I have to agree with those that say the team was giving each other "looks." I felt like they were humoring Ray's way of talking out the case.

IMHO, it seems like TPTB is using Ray's being a newbie to the CSI world to give him exposition lines. It's like he's supposed to be talking out the case to figure it out; but because of Ray's background in academia and LF's commanding presence on screen it never comes off like it's supposed to. Instead Ray comes off like he's trying to teach the team something that they, as the more experienced CSIs, should already know and that can be off putting. YMMV of course.

I also have to make a comment about the cane. I love that they're trying to keep it around because of the touching scene between Doc and Ray when Doc gave it to him, but since it's obvious Ray doesn't need it anymore it's become a distraction. I wish they could come up with a less obtrusive way to keep it around because I like the idea that Ray would keep it with him because of its sentimental value.

11. Gloriana

Gloriana Dead on Arrival

I think you hit the nail on the head with that. I personally love Ray Langston but I have felt that 'awkward' feeling when he's been given certain speeches too. It's like "Um, the rest of them are probably gonna smack him in a minute because of course they would know that already", hehe.

I think perhaps it's the burden of having to introduce such a major player so late in the game in terms of how long this series has been on the air. They've covered so many bases, it's probably hard to come up with stuff to make the character of Ray relevant. I do agree they really should have 'eased' him into focus a lot slower than they did. I really do like him so much though!

In reference to the 'Sqweegel' episode...

I personally just was not crazy about it, for various reasons. The name is hard for me to get past because it sounds like something out of a Monty Python skit, and whenever Paul Guilfoyle said his name, my friend and I lost it laughing.

I really did like the premise behind the killer's motivation, I thought it was miles more satisfying than Jekyll's ultimate motivation last season. The killer himself I just find patently ridiculous, I can't help it.

I found his movements to be OTT and I couldn't even entertain the idea he'd move in that jerky way to intimidate his victims (even though I got the feeling that's what it was supposed to look like). It was probably based on some description from the book that worked really well in novel form but perhaps could not translate on screen. I just found it comical.

I know they tried to broach the problem of how much this guy would sweat being in a latex costume that long, but my friend rightly pointed out he would simply suffocate in that thing after an extended period - especially in the spare tire well of a closed car.

The 'hand/foot-foot/hand' walking thing just seemed like a push to be 'creepy' but I personally could not buy into any given logic behind that detail. Maybe they will come up with some viable explanation, but I thought it was just one of those cheap details thrown in just to scream "THIS GUY IS WEIRD!!". It reminded my friend and I of some of the gratuitous, nonsensical 'creepy for the sake of being creepy' stuff they tossed into The X-Files in its final seasons.

I might just be a writing snob though, I own it. The episode just had me laughing more than anything. Again though, the ultimate motivation for the killings is interesting to me and one of the better things they've had in terms of plot for awhile. I just didn't like the killer character behind it.

I'm not hating on anyone who's got love for Sqweegs though, I'm really not. I just think he's a bit goofy, lol.

12. margarita_salt

margarita_salt Hit and Run

Thank You, Yes Goofy was the word I would describe this eppy! ( no offense to the viewers who liked it)

Funny story.. When langston was taking the stitches out of Ann Margaret's arm. I almost got sick. I did get sick I got dizzy headed and had to go outside for a second.

I had high hopes for this episode but the whole plot was not that interesting. I liked the idea of this guy getting rid of people that had broke a commandment, that was interesting, but the story itself was missing something. I just dont know what that was. :evil:

13. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Just to reiterate Dr. Langston is NOT A NEWBIE:rolleyes: This is his 3rd season. When someone is hired in workplace or organization, they have a 90 day probation period, then after that probably 6 months to a year and are then considered a "regular". You should all read the review on "SQWEEGEL" on our news files. Awesome. How he's bonded with certain team members. And how good he is doing, and on ratings slipping have nothing at all do do with his performance. He has his own "quirky charm" And the "hourglass" experience the team were all enthralled. Cath has enough guts and spunk to say "Hey Ray, sit down" or Nick as kind as he is would say "Ray, we get it, or this isn't getting it". If some fans disagree with this, that's their perogative, but everyone sees things from a different perspective. Some see it as brilliant and some don't ~

14. A. FineLabrats

A. FineLabrats Rookie

He is a newbie COMPARED TO THE REST OF THE TEAM!!! Why do you not get that??! Because you don't read what we're writing and just reiterate the same erroneous message, which by now honestly seems like you're copy pasting or have some sort of form for. "Ray is not ___ he is excellent/breathtaking/ambrosia/made of chocolate/whatever"

We and even the writers know by now how he is being portrayed; if a small subset of people refuse to see blatant facial expressions as what they really are, that's fine, but don't come here and tell us not to talk about this.

15. DragonFriend95

DragonFriend95 Lab Technician

According to Dr Cox I'm allowed to call someone a newbie for as long as seven years :lol:

I agree that the team weren't exactly 'enthralled' by the lecture...Personally I loved the little looks and eyerolls they gave each other :)