Grade 'The 34th Floor'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 24, 2010.

?

How would you grade The 34th Floor?

1. A+

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. A

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. A-

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  4. B+

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Katie Boggs and Brett Tucker. :)

I think TPTB tried to renegotiate her contract, and in the end she just decided it was time to move on. It happened after they finished filming season 6, so they had to explain her absence after-the-fact since she wasn't returning to film even one episode.

2. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I just saw! :lol: Watched from the beginning this time, and Sid :)adore:) plus virtual autopsy plus the opening sequence of the episode (holy f***ing intensity, Batman! :eek:) totally bumps this up to an A-.

I Lol'd too! That whole scene was insanely good, and I'm happy they did explain after all how Lindsay managed to kill him when he was the only one we knew had a gun (at the time, back in VG). But best part was definitely Shane calling her on her fear; I thought that, as well as the fear itself coming from her, was very appropriate.

...guess my one eensy complaint would be that she's apparently a crack shot despite never having shot anyone before, fear, and shaking hands combined :lol: But given the way she visibly snapped when Shane sort-of hugged Lucy, I could believe anger would overcome most of that.

I still have to agree somewhat with this. Under the circumstances, I understand if they just want to move things along quickly, and as far as transitions go it was a relatively smooth one. In that Jo was made of win, and Stella's absence didn't stand out as much as I thought it would, making for a great episode.

And it's realistic for people to leave jobs and coworkers to go on as usual, but leaving aside any and all fangirling -- Stella was the most centrally-featured character after Mac, it only seems right to at least explain what made her decide to leave. (Did she need to get out of New York? Was she unhappy as assistant-supervisor - maybe wanting to try her hand at being boss, but the only available position was in New Orleans? That actually would make perfect sense, especially given how much more supervisory she became in S6...it'd just be nice if they'd added the one line it would've taken to explain that.)

This is what made the Mac/Jo scenes work so well! She was so incredibly chill and it's like it took all of three minutes for that to rub off on him :lol:; then they were just like these super laidback but tough cops you woudn't want to mess with. It just made for a great buddy-cop dynamic. I was really happy with that, they're going to be fun to watch together. He's been steadily relaxing over the years, imo, but it's been taking a while, so maybe at this point in his life, an easygoing partner is exactly what he needs (friend-wise, I mean).

Lock them in a room and give it time :lol: On second thought, get the other four to join, too, they could all use it (yes, this is purposely ambiguous :devil:)

In all seriousness, I kind of liked the whole "full circle" effect, Mac's earlier words about killing perps coupled with shooting one later on. Clever.

So yeah, A- in the end. :) Well done, CSI:NY!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  3. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I've noticed a lot of people are unhappy with the way Stella was written out of the show. I'm curious as to how y'all would rather it be done.

This episode once again jumped - 5 months later. We have no idea when Stella left, although I'd assume it was recently since they were just getting their new CSI. They probably already all said goodbye to her and whatnot.

4. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ edit: you posted at the same time as me so i only saw this after, but sean maguire wasn't the killer, he was the burglar.

yep, i agree totally, they seemed to have a natural rapport and were very relaxed about each other, and she seemed to bring out his sense of humour a bit, and i think having someone around who can keep things calm and relaxed will be great for him, he does tend to get quite agitated and tense and maybe her chilled out manner will help to ease that a bit, whereas, y'know, much as stella was cool, she did tend to also get quite agitated and tense!

haha even i was a bit like "ok, so mac's been sending lindsay to therapy for shooting, and now he's joining in?!" the gun was pointed downwards but he was clearly raising it with a purpose i thought. although tbh i thought he was gonna shoot himself, not them. meh. although, having just written that first sentence, i also totally saw this side of it:

i've also just been reminded of another gripe i had with this ep. it was relatively minor but kinda annoyed me:

dear csi writers: ENOUGH SLO MO ALREADY!!!! just STOP!!! thanks.

5. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

I liked the episode. There were both good and not so good parts to it.

The not so good:

1. At first I couldn't figure out why an architectural firm would be right below the NYPD Crime Lab. For security reasons it makes no sense at all. I had to watch it twice before I realized that each floor supposedly has a different access code, and because the burglar messed with the system that night, the codes weren't needed briefly. However, if that is the case, how would the victim know that? She punched the 35th floor button, which under normal circumstances she wouldn't be able to access. Not logical. Also, how many levels does the 35th floor have? There is the bridge above and there is a set of half stairs going down near the elevator. This was not well thought out.

2. Flack's hair. I didn't like it when I saw the pictures and I still don't. It doesn't flatter the shape of his face.

3. Why on earth do people mail personal stuff to the lab. Stella did it in this episode and Peyton did it in season four. Don't lab members have mailboxes at their apartments? (I know it was done for the story, but it's stupid.)

4. Why would SWAT go to arrest a guy who had used scissors as a weapon? Talk about overkill.

The good:

1. Flack to Danny: "Your turn." Best line of the episode. And then Danny actually jumped. (For the people complaining that it's too soon, realize that it's been over a year since Danny was hurt and almost a year since he got better.)

2. Flack actually had a tie on for about five seconds during Lindsay's medal ceremony. (Can you tell I'm a Flack fan?)

3. The set designers did a great job with the mock up of the outside of the Chrysler Building.

4. Although I didn't like the way Jo teased Adam, I did like the way he sort of got her back, calling her "Josephine," as if he could access files, too.

5. Jo Danforth. I liked her character. I liked the way she fit in (for the most part). I liked the way she and Mac got along. I think Jo (and Sela) will be an asset to the team.

I'm looking forward to the season.

6. tobinhr

tobinhr Hit and Run

I gave it a B+.

I liked Jo. But I am biased, as I have liked Sela Ward since way back on "Sisters." Liked the banter, but it was a bit heavy for people that have just met.

The case was pretty good. A little unrealistic, but OK. Loved the scenes in the "Chrysler" building.

I actually liked Anna Belknap. I think her delivery has really improved...or maybe I am just used to her...

Please, PTB, send Eddie to the hairdresser's. He looks like a 70s disco star....

Tobin

7. Fwuzzfwuzz

Fwuzzfwuzz Hit and Run

I like this episode pretty well. I mean the crime was pretty meh, it wasn't very interesting - pretty average but the character and team moments sold it to me.

Being such a HUGE Adam fan, I squealed for the tinsiest little back story. We finally know the naaaaames of his parents! You know how many fanfictions I'll have to rewrite?? But this is a good sign to me - they might bring a little more focus on Adam and his past, which is exciting!

I love Danny is all the scenes. I love him with Adam calling him a nerd and then helping him out, the scene with lindsay and the "right here" line was cute, and chasing with Flack was so funny. Punching the suspect with his devil-may-care attitude. We might be getting back our characters.

I really like Jo and how she seems to be hugely opposite of Mac. Mac is all science-ey and by the rules never saying who's guilty without proof. Jo starts a rebellion with assuming someones guilty and testing for it while Adam is like "We can't" such a loyal guy he is. :p I like how they introduced her, I think they're really trying to get teh audience to like her and not make people at odds like they did with haylen. Real excited the direction this season is going!

8. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

I think they did Jo a disservice as I highly agree with this. A poor introduction to the new character.

And again WAY to familiar. And also she snoops in peoples FBI files to show she has information on them even if it is in jest?

I cant go quite this far as saying she was hitting on people!:lol: But they kind of made her obnoxius when they did not need too.

The writers seemed a bit desperate to me.
    I must say this was my favorite part as much as I do not care for "super Linds" seeing that little Lucy again just reaffirms her acting skills supersede her mothers!!!:lol:

Ya gotta love it. The writers just cant get enough of that D/L magic...Did I mention they are married...here they go again:rolleyes:
    I wish I wrote it first! Very well stated my friend:thumbsup:
    C'MON the WHOLE lab was shut down because EVERYONE wanted to see Lindsey get her badge:guffaw: ...well maybe the writers. I can imagine PV wetting her pants with excitment writing this little scenario! PLEASE people.:lol:

No comment necessary.

Again poor writing:rolleyes:

Have to agree. Just about every other day somthing.

And again this is the best they could do?

I think at this point when they had Jo speculating on the personal aspect right down to the perfume it became way overboard. Why couldnt they just trust in her ability to unfold as a character over the new season then to make her into some kind of superhuman "know it all". I was willing to give it a shot but the gag factor has now set in and all interest is lost.:rolleyes:

I guess it depends on who you ask, In an interview Melina said she did not like the way Stella was going to be written and stayed with negotiations right up untill two weeks before shooting. True she walked BUT
    in fairness to Melina also, (since we are giving opinion to both sides of the story) she spent the summer trying to work it out and left I think with a sense of loss. She loved playing Stella and TPTB decided to take something she loved and go in a different direction with it. Although she could have given us closer and in hopes some day she may, sometimes when you are pushed in to making a choice it isnt always one you wish. She spent six years giving us a character some came to love I guess it made sense to her instead of letting the writers destroy Stella she decided to keep her untouched. I say Bravo! And thank you Melina you are very much loved. :thumbsup:

And this is why there maybe some drop in ratings. To make Melina the villian by saying they tried and tried and wish it would have worked out, the way they mentioned her departure was a cheap shot! They could have given it more if they had any writing talent but this is why CSINY suffers since last season it has been on the downward spiral and if it is to recover they better get some fresh talent in that area. Sela will do her best but you can only do so much. And one last thing....Danny jumping off the railing after just coming out of a wheel chair:wtf: You cant write stories about something and then expect everyone to just forget about it because you thought of something new... its insulting to the viewer.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i really liked that too - i really liked how she didn't break the rules and was quite consciously not doing that, but was willing to push them a bit and take them from a different angle, while still keeping within the bounds of acceptability.

actually i wonder whether that little scene might've been a set up for some future tension between her and mac - not in a bad way, but like you said her approach and his seem to be so totally different, i'm sure it could cause some ructions down the line.

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Thanks, Fay. :) I don't guess I've seen the girl anywhere before. She must just remind me of someone. As for the guy, I must have seen him in the episode of Legend of the Seeker that he was in. :lol:

What were they again? I forgot. I'm thinking Charles was the father's name, but not sure. Didn't Adam allude to the fact that his father wasn't very nice to him?

That was kind of ridiculous LOL.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  11. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

I missed half the episode so I don't know what happened with Danny and Lindsay but I did get to see Jo and I like her!

12. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i watched the ep again so i'm posting on things i missed:

yeah i agree the whole lab was closed to see Lindsay get her badge is a bit ridiculous... the whole lab knows her?

i liked how Jo worked backwards to figure out who was guilty in the mugging. that was somethign different and really interesting.

Flack's hair... he needs it cut it totally does not work with his face.

loved the "Your turn" line haha. Danny are always the ones who have to chase the suspects and do all kinds of crazy stuff to get them.

the many movie fans on here: did this kind of seem like Hitchcock's "Dial M For Murder" with the whole scissors thing? aspects of this ep just screamed "Dial M For Murder" to me.

i didn't like how they explained where Stella went. that was weak. i was hoping maybe Jo would ask who she was replacing and Mac would tell her about Stella. it was sad to see Stella as a character who had been on the show for 6 year just explained away like it was. the writers could have done so much better with that.

13. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Did anyone understand what Lindsay said on the roof right before Danny responds "Yes you did. Right here"?

I re-watched it and I just can not make out what she is saying.

14. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I think she says something about never having a place she went when she was upset or something like that.

15. Fwuzzfwuzz

Fwuzzfwuzz Hit and Run

Charles and Harriett, and yeah Adam has alluded about 3-4 times that his dad isn't a nice fellow.

Speakin of Charles, there's this totally creepy dude in my college chemistry class. His name is charles and he's like 50 and sits next to me, hovers over me, and takes my papers, touching my hands and shoulder everytime he has a question - totally picturing Adam's dad as this guy. hahaha