What Do You Think About Eddie Cibrian's Departure? *spoilers*

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by baybeehannah, Jun 17, 2010.

1. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

JB favorite or not, the character of Walter brings an element to the table that has been long missing from CSI Miami. He's an interesting addition to the cast.

Eddie, on the other hand, brought nothing new with the Jesse character. He was obviously a fill-in, to be cut once the original returned. Whether fans prefer Eddie or Adam is not the issue. The character of Eric has an established fanbase; Jesse does not.

2. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Unfortunately you are all too right. Only those invested in the nomance are allowed to get comfortable and know that their storyline and characters are completely safe and totally protected.

All other storylines and characters are apparently considered expendable.

You know, even though we know that tactic worked, I'm glad nobody tried it with Eddie. Although I dislike intensely the nomance and what it did to the characters involved, I still respected the actor who portrayed Delko - until the Twitter incident. Every ounce of respect is gone now.

I don't want to see that happen to Eddie. He did a wonderful job trying to establish Jesse and supporting the show in his interviews. It was obvious he enjoyed the character and being on the show and he was excited for the opportunity. He was positive and enthusiastic about what was to come and his part in it. He didn't deserve what they did to him.

I want to see him leave with his integrity and professional respect intact. I don't want it said that he begged or lowered himself trying to keep this job. He deserves to leave with his head held high. He did nothing wrong.

Just the other day I saw his performance as a serial killer on Criminal Minds again. Wow. What an amazing performance. A truly fine job. He's a really good actor and I sincerely hope that he finds a show deserving of his talent ... soon!

TPTB ARE the ones to blame here. Not only didn't the provide him with material that could even be considered barely adequate, they didn't make any attempt to provide an atmosphere that gave the character any chance of success. First they overwhelm an audience who they already know has an element of vocal, hostile, malicious dissenters who start from the announcement of his inclusion in the cast maligning Cibrian all over the Internet in every forum available. They are not for one second going to give this actor/character a chance. Then they allow Delko to disrupt the flow so that Jesse has no chances whatsoever to establish a viable presence on the show. They effectively sabotaged their own character. They took any chance he had of finding a place for himself away.

One has to wonder if Donahue intended to sabotage Eddie/Jesse from the beginning as a method of trying to get the actor/character SHE supported back on the show in an effort to support the nomance that she just can't seem to let go of after CBS told her to kill the character SHE supports off.

3. makkem

makkem Hit and Run

Wish I hadn't raed this thread.
    In the UK season 8 has just kicked-off (programme 2) & Jesse Cardozza has only just joined the Team.

4. yen35

yen35 Witness

Sorry, this is not really relevant to this thread but I'm curious to know what exactly is a 'twitter campaign' (mentioned in your last para). Is it something on the website 'Twitter'? I looked through a few other threads in this forum (not all) but I couldn't find a reference to such a thing.

5. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

I can't even begin to describe my feelings of shock and disappointment that they are kicking Eddie Cibrian to the curb, and let's be perfectly honest, we all know the reason why. Someone had to go once Adam Rodreguiz made his return and despite all his useless reassurances that no one would be effected, the simple truth is that someone did get effected, and it was unfair to Eddie who had handled all the hate and negavity that came with his casting with such grace and professionalism.

I had been so looking forward to seeing Jesse Cardoza once again in the new season of Miami and getting a chance to see more of his past that this news is like having an ice bucket being dumped on my head. :(

I had been a Miami fan from Season 1 to Season 3, right up until Tim Speedle died and I felt Miami had lost its roots and the characters had become cardboard cutouts with soapy storylines. For the next 5 seasons, I stayed away, I was disappointed how the storylines were more about soapy romance and dramatic family secrets than about the crime and the science. In fact, I had no intentions of ever returning to the show, until I caught a glimpse of Season 8's premiere promo, showing Miami going back to the beginning, and I was intrigued, I found myself being interested in the premise of the episode. And soon, once again I fell in love with this show, and most of all, with a humble, gentle, sweet man named Jesse Cardoza. Jesse wasn't a stand-out, he wasn't loud or obnoxious or running around being the hero of the day. He was a man who much preferred the background, he kept to himself, he was flawed yet tried his best. And it was those qualities that drew me to this quiet detective who was simply trying to do the best he can, he wasn't here to make waves or pronounce judgement.

And before I even knew it, The Three Musketeers of Miami were born, the comedic trio that is Ryan Wolfe, Walter Simmons, and Jesse Cardoza were a delight to watch. They made me laugh at every turn and brought happiness and fun to what would have been an otherwise boring day. I was glad to see the fun and goofiness was back on the show, a sense of humor that had long been lacking and buried beneath Miami's dark, dramatic, and twisted history. And to see Ryan, who for a long time was judged and mistrusted by his co-workers, being happy and with people who saw him for who he was, not for his mistakes or failures, brought joy to my heart. In those three boys, I found a reason to watch Miami, a natural friendship and chemistry that could not be faked.

It had been a while since I praised Miami for its storylines, but I was proud that they had been able to pull off a more than decent season despite the cast changes, and that the new blood had brought something unique and fresh to the table. I should have known that it was too good to be true, that Miami would never learn from its mistakes.:shifty:

No offense to Adam Rodreguiz or his fan base, but I had always thought Eric Delko had outlived his usefulness. For nearly 8 years he had dominated the screens with his family storylines and his love storylines, it was the same old same old, one secret after another, one drama after another. Was it so wrong for me to wish that the other characters got a chance to shine? Someone whose name wasn't Eric? Was it wrong of me to wish that if Adam had decided to step away from the show that wasn't giving him what he wanted, that he would cut ties permenantly instead of feeling around for new jobs and running back to home base when nothing works? I neither hate the actor nor the character, but he has had 8 years, would it be so hard for someone else to take the front line now?

Eddie Cibrian isn't the world's greatest actor, he's far from it, but why should he the one be thrown into the lion's den when all he had down was try his best? From the first moment he was casted, the fans never gave him a chance, they criticized him, they hated him, they mocked him, they insulted him, and for what? Simply because he was replacing their precious Eric? Because he was the new kid on the block of an established cast? It was never Eddie's fault that Adam decided to leave, yet all the blame was placed on Eddie. No one ever gave him a chance to let the character grow, everyone was more than happy to pile crap on him one after the other. And Adam zooming in and out of the season certainly didn't help endear Eddie/Jesse to the fans either. Yet through all the harsh criticisms and hate, Eddie kept his head down and did his work, he never complained, he never resorted to angry retorts or retaliation with words. He simply did what he was asked to do, play Jesse to the best of his abilities. He gave his best, he didn't go cause any trouble, yet all he got for his efforts was being shoved out the door once they got Adam back.

Miami decided to waste a potentially new and interesting character and history and relationships and settled instead with the same old same old. They ruined a comedic gold trio that could have brought so much more to the show and settled instead with somber and moodiness.

I have never been so disgusted and disappointed with Miami. They had a chance to go for something different, something new, but instead they decided to play the same old safe course rather than take a risk. They shoved aside an actor who did nothing wrong and did little to give his character a chance to grow.

I will take a look at Miami Season 9 premiere to see what happens and how well they will give Eddie/Jesse a send off, or if there is a possible future for the character and actor to return. But whatever high hopes I had for Miami's future has now been dashed. And not to mention one BIG reason why I returned to watch Miami is now gone too.

It seems that lately CBS dramas have been having cast issues, Criminal Minds kicked off AJ (JJ) from the main cast and reduced Paget(Emily)'s screentime, and let's not forget Melina (Stella) walking out on CSI: NY and not returning for the new season. If I were to speculate, I'd say whatever franchise CBS was hoping to build, they got so gleeful that they forgot their way and think now they can do anything. The CSI franchise's ratings have been slipping like an avalanche, and not to mention Criminal Minds's new spin-off has been met with strong fan opposition. It seems the only crime franchise still standing amidst all the drama is NCIS and NCIS: LA, it seems that show has got the magic solution that no one can quite comprehend. All of their leads have resigned multi-year contracts without as much as one fuss and everyone was happy, why can't the CSI franchise learn? Why can't CBS learn?

Well, I wish Eddie Cibrian the very best of luck in his future endeavors, he didn't deserve being tossed to the curb, and I hope to see him back on my TV screen soon. Good luck Eddie! I'll miss you very much! Thank you for giving me an amazing year of Miami to watch!:)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  6. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Completely agree, BauerAlmeida! Eddie is going to be able to walk away from this whole thing with his head held high. He was a true professional who did his best (and I thought he did a wonderful job give the circumstances he was forced to deal with) and represented himself and the show in a positive, enthusiastic way!

I think it's clear that a LOT of us feel your pain about the soap opera feeling the nomance brought to the show and how other storylines and characters were kicked to the curb to make way for it.

I also thought Jesse had tremendous potential. But the environment TPTB created set the character up for failure. He never really had a chance to succeed. :(

I don't remember the last time I enjoyed a part of CSI Miami as much as I enjoyed Ryan/Jesse/Walter. They were a true delight. And as much as I hope the Ryan and Walter continue that friendship, there will always been an important element missing with Jesse gone. :(

No it was not wrong of you. I wished for the same things. It just wasn't to be. There is one storyline protected on this show and only two characters untouchable. They seem to be willing to sacrifice everything and everyone else to the great nomance!

Very well said! I liked Eddie before, but I truly respect him now. After that horrible, hateful onslaught he was forced to endure and the way he conducted himself with dignity and professionalism ... he's truly a class act!

I also plan to watch the start to see where they plan to take this. For me the fact that they would so callously throw Jesse away doesn't bode well for the future of any of the remaining characters but the two protected ones. It really calls into question where they are heading and saying they are focusing on the "core cast" doesn't impress me at all ... not until they define "core cast" and prove to me that it means the ENTIRE team and not just two of them.

Thanks to Marg's honestly, we now know that in all probability everyone took a cut in pay -everyone! I applaud NCIS and NCIS: LA the wonderful spirit they all seem to have not just on but off camera. I applaud Criminal Minds that the entire cast supported AJ when CBS made their decision (I watched them on twitter - it was horribly sad - and AJ is pure class). Again, a group of people that care for each other and it comes across on screen.

At the risk of being accused of speculating, I think that the divisive atmosphere we've witnessed on CSI Miami in the past 4 seasons on screen is probably just as divisive off-screen as well. The team spirit on that show as ruined a long time ago. It seemed to start with Speed's passing and only got worse after that. After season 4 there has never been a team again ... and despite the hype TPTB and CBS are selling ... I doubt we'll ever see one again. :(

As do I, BauerAlmeida! As this season progresses, Eddie may find he was the lucky one that he got away.

I'll be watching for his next project! ;)

7. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

Admist all the hatred and the insults about both his skills as an actor and his personal life, he was still able to walk onto talk shows with a gentle smile and show his enthusiasm for working on the show. That takes guts and grace.

I don't mind soap opera, nor do I mind romance, but what I do mind is when a show has no balance, and Miami for the longest time never had any form of balance whatsoever.

Jesse certainly had potential, he had lots of it, and his introduction was written pretty well, but the timing and the angry environment that TPTB had allowed to happen did nothing to help Jesse's venture as a new character. I was so looking forward to see how the dead wife storyline would end, I was looking forward to see his relationships with the team grow, and now that's not gonna happen.

I've never laughed so much watching Miami! I was so glad to see the light-heartedness and humor back on the show after it was buried under all that drama in the previous seasons. Those three were comedic gold and I have to wonder what TPTB are thinking to take away one third of the Musketeers. Jesse was the foil to Ryan and Walter's goofiness, kind of like an adoring big brother who watches out for them. Without Jesse, the Musketeers will never be the same.

People always cite his indiscretions in his personal life as a reason to hate Eddie, that because he cheated on his wife and failed his duties as a husband and father, that he should be thrown aside and have no job or respect.

It never ceases to amaze me the hypocrisy of people, as if somehow Eddie is the only person in the world to have cheated on a spouse, when more than half the population of this country have done so, even a former president.

Obviously I am not condoning his behavior to cheat nor do I like him for that, but it's his personal life, who the hell am I to judge? Who the hell is anyone to judge? If he had committed murder or rape or some heinous crime, then you'd bet I'd be the first one to say something. But I am sick and tired of people standing on their high perch and rain down judgement on Eddie as if they are the paragon of virture. Eddie is hardly the first celebrity to have made regrettable and stupid choices. Kiefer Sutherland was sent to prison on a minor assualt charge, causing 24's filming to stop for a while, yet Kiefer still has his job and his fans and people still love him. Mark Wahlberg nearly beat a man to death when he was a teenager, was sent to jail, and now he is a respected Oscar-nominated actor. Robert Down Jr. lost himself in drugs and was messed up for the longest times, but now he's made a comeback and people everywhere respect and love him in Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes. And the list of actors/actresses goes on. To single out Eddie for being a cheat when many other beloved stars have made more than a few bad decisions in their lifetime is unfair and ignorant.

He made a mistake no doubt, his judgement got screwed up and he made a decision that effected his wife and his kids, but it doesn't mean he can't have a second chance or a shot at redemption. Through all the negativity, Eddie showed that he truly is the one with class, he took all that hate yet still showed up on set with a smile and ready to work when others would have crumbled under the pressure. He didn't stoop to the levels of some really heinous fan response and ridicule, and good for him!

It's laughable that they said "core cast", and what is that anyways? The team from season one episode one? The ones in the opening credits? Let's face it, their "core cast" will never be more than 2 or 3 people, this writing staff clearly cannot handle writing for 8 characters, much less 7 now with Jesse gone.

To be perfectly honest, as much as I love my actors, when they cry about not being paid enough money, I could care less.:shifty:

These are economic hard times, the fact that they even have money should be treasured, and actors get paid more than most people in hard-working jobs like scientists, nurses, police officers, federal agents, teachers, and such. There is no reason for them to be complaining of being paid less when even their least salaries can probably pay a real life cop's salary for 3 or 4 years. So the fact that they had to take pay-cuts, well too bad, it's harsh but that's life, just because you're an actor doesn't mean you get off scot free.

And as for CM and NCIS casts, the love around the set is clear, you always see them joking around and goofing off, and the actors clearly adore each other.

Considering the atmosphere when Rory Cochrane left and the bitter taste its left on both sides, I wouldn't be surprised that off screen relationships are edgy. It's clear that some of the cast members adore each other, that's not a doubt, but from what I've seen with Adam's twitter and some of Rory's responses to the situation, clearly there is some bad blood still hanging around.

One thing that I loved about Season 8 was that it felt like with Walter and Jesse in as the new blood, it was like Miami had a transfusion and was refreshed and reborn. The new team was growing and learning to trust each other all over again and everything was going so well. Now it seems whatever they have built for that whole season is just gonna come crashing down.

CBS and many major networks may have to learn from the USA channel abut how to treat your actors. Not only does USA solidly stands by their show no matter what, they also spent a huge amount of money this past year taking all its stars out to see the Winter Olympics. When was the last time a network has done that for the actors who work for them?

I'm inclined to agree with that. Eddie should go find jobs with the USA network, at least he won't be shoved around like what CBS did to him. He probably is the lucky one to jump out of a sinking boat. And as are you, I too shall be watching for his next project!:)

8. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

While I respect your opinions, I mostly disagree with the last two posts. Fact is the core cast of Miami adore each other and are involved in each other's personal lives, if you have ever read any of their interviews. Another fact is, that while EC may have his strengths, the fans did not like how he presented the character. He (or the writers) were totally hoping his sexuality and good looks would draw fans in and forgot that you also need a personality. He ended up being the most boring character I've seen in some time. Look at the lack of a fan thread on this site; it was basically supported by only one or two fans and quickly died from lack of interest. Personally, I came into the season with high expectations for Jesse and it quickly evolved from irritation to dislike to flat-out get-rid-of-him.

9. belle

belle Dead on Arrival

[spam]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2010
  10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I don't think Marg was complaining about taking a pay-cut. I think she stated that because people were thinking that Melina left NY because they asked her and only her to take a pay-cut. I think Marg was just saying that everyone on all three CSIs was asked to take a pay-cut so that that rumor about Melina being the only one would go away. But, I'm glad Marg said that because it's opened my eyes a little bit. I'm glad that Melina wasn't singled-out, but given the nature of the way she left, there is some kind of bad-blood there somewhere. She's apparently not returning to wrap up her character, so something or someone must have upset her badly enough.

But this news begs the question, why did all of the CSI actors have to take a pay-cut when Charlie Sheen got a pay raise and such a large one at that? I mean two million per 30 minute ep? That's insanity as far as I'm concerned lol.

11. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

Lot of people like Frank Tripp but can you tell me when was the last time there was activity in his thread?

12. GregNickRyanFan

Excellent point, AJ. Thing is, Jesse was new, so of course the thread started out with a buzz, especially when the focus was heavily on his character. But then the focus shifted to other things, mostly Eric's dilema with working for Rebecca and so the focus was off Jesse and the writers didn't really give him much to do, so there wasn't a whole lot to talk about regarding him. That is the writers' faults and their fault alone. I don't think it's fair to say that an actor should be gotten rid of just because the writers fail and balancing out storylines where new characters are involved. The same thing happened to Jesse that happened to Vegas' Riley a year before. The writers' focus was too heavily on other characters/storylines and the newer characters seemed to get lost in the shuffle. It's not the actors faults or the characters faults. It's the writers faults for not giving them anything to do. The Vegas writers focused too heavily on Langston and Riley became nothing more than scenery. Same thing happened to Jesse unfortunately. Both Jesse and Riley had potential if the writers had given them anything.

13. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

I'm not saying that she was complaining, I am only saying that I get sick and tired when actors in general talk about how a show isn't giving them enough money and they leave. While I understand money is important in an actor's career, but the fact still remains that their salaries are worth more than most normal hard-working people's salaries by 4 or 5 times the amount. So for me, when I hear an actor complain (once again I am not saying Marg was), I get pissed because everyone's having a hard time, not just because a poor actor isn't getting the money he wanted.

I think the pay-cuts and pay raise depends on show budgets and cast numbers. CSI and many crime dramas tend to have a larger ensemble cast and more stunts and stuff so the money is always tight, but a comedy show like Charlie Sheen's is very simple to put together and the cast isn't that large.

14. GregNickRyanFan

Ah, okay. I apologize for misunderstanding your earlier post.

That's a good explanation of why the cuts happen for CSI, but not for Charlie's show. I didn't think of it like that. Two & A Half Men would be a cheaper show to make cause you don't have to have all of the digital stuff like the bullet going through the wound and all of that. And I do kind of agree that actors complaining about paycuts can be annoying. However, if it had been a case of only one person being asked to take a pay cut when everyone else got to retain their current paycheck amount, then I wouldn't have a big problem with a complaint. But if everyone has to take a paycut, that to me seems okay at this time with the economy issues.

15. FlacksAngell

FlacksAngell Victim

To be Honest, although I absolutely adore Eddie, he was never suited to the role of Jesse Cardoza. For me, Eddie will always be a firefighter and not a cop/CSI and Eddie will always be Jimmy Doherty. And although I loved having Eddie back on my screen, if even for just a little bit, I'm not quite.... upset about his departure from Miami. Eddie, I'm sure, will find work quickly due to his outstanding acting skills and ruggedly good looks and hopefully newer shows will be a better fit for him. As always, wish him all the best for future projects!