What Do You Think About Eddie Cibrian's Departure? *spoilers*

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by baybeehannah, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Just so my position is clear ... I ship no one!

Truth is I've been waiting for 4 very long years to again see a team on this show. Jesse and Walter's introduction - and Delko's departure - actually gave us a taste of what it would be like to see CSI Miami with a team again. And it was nice.

I enjoyed the Horatio and Calleigh interaction in the first 2 seasons, but never "shipped" them. And with Calleigh as she is now, she is the LAST person I'd want to be involved with Horatio.

I enjoy immensely Natalia and Horatio interaction and Ryan and Natalia. I enjoy Frank with everyone.

Horatio, Natalia, Ryan, Frank Jesse and Walter "feel" like a team. Eric and Calleigh are only interested in each other and no on else.

I completely enjoyed Ryan, Walter and Jesse. Finally Ryan had someone he could be comfortable with and who accept him as he is without judging him - especially when those passing judgment are the LAST ones who should be judging anyone.

Eric and Calleigh had a nice friendship going for a while. Truth is I've never really liked Delko. He was a child who had no respect whatsoever for women and I haven't seem any improvement as the years have gone by, truth be told. He never takes responsibility or takes the hit for his actions - unlike Ryan.

I'm unhappy about Jesse because he WAS new life for the show. IMO, Delko and Calleigh are played out. There is nothing about them I want to see. Both so corrupted from who they used to be being part of a team is an alien concept to them.

Jesse was new and fresh. A character yet to be explored. He was a friend for Ryan and together with Walter they were fun to watch. They brought back the smiles and the laughter gone for so long from this show.

His wife's death was yet to be addressed. The basis for his relationship with Horatio. There was a story with every team member as he established a relationship and bonded with each of them. Just the fact that he could do his job in a competent manner made him a breath of fresh air.

With Jesse gone and Delko back it means a return to the same tired story. Any chance for something new and fresh is gone. It'll be back to all E/C melodrama ... all the time. Nothing changes on this show. At least not for long. :scream:

EDIT: I should say that nothing changes on this show in the last 3 seasons. Once the destruction of Calleigh was complete, there was apparently no turning back.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

You think so, huh?

How about all the posters who referred to Cibiran as a "loser?" You ready to defend them? Or denigrated him as some half-bit replacement when he was equally capable of Rodriguez at holding a character. Seroiusly, if you compare the two side-by-side at IMDB, they have diverse acting roles. Why is Adam so much better than Eddie? And every time Eddie was given a chance to kick a score vis-a-vis his character, he nailed the uprights. Delko has been kicking Norwood-left for two seasons now.

How about all the people who mounted a Twi*ter (I refuse to acknowledge that site) campaign to have Adam reinstated to his original place on the "team?" Do you think that happened by mistake? A bunch of people just got a burr in their backside and decided to mount a hate war against EC?

Seriously, no chance.:cool:

3. Adamsgirl

Adamsgirl Dead on Arrival

I wasn't comparing Adam and Eddie's acting roles as from episode 1 of S9 he sadly won't be a cast member. I was making the point that with all the offers Adam had during and after his Miami career, I doubt he'd come "crawling back". Let's be honest, we know CBS are VERY tight with their money as we've seen with all their CRAZY decisions these last few months. If they didn't want AR back they certainly wouldn't have asked him to come back and give him bonuses in the form of writing and directing!

I also don't see anything wrong in Adam's fans creating a campaign to get him back. Petitions haven't only just started in the world that is TV! And I have no idea why people keep referring to Twitter. A fan wrote to Adam basically complaining that he wasn't there anymore and he responded to that person only with an @reply. He didn't say in a public status update "hey, get me back on the show". I honestly don't know why I'm going over this as people have made up their own mind without looking back at what was said by him. He also came out recently and admitted that he "never really wanted to leave". CBS are bast**ds with their employees in my eyes.

Now, back to Eddie! I'm certainly NOT one of the AR fans that mounted a hate war against Eddie. I'll admit, there are a very large majority of E/C and some AR fans that were against him for reasons I just still can't understand. Seriously, explain it to me! Jesse wasn't a threat to E/C, so why the hate!?

I for one am going to miss Eddie, I wish he was staying on longer but for that I am blaming CBS and no one else. I just watched episode 4 of season 8 (the plane one, can't remember the exact title) and the scene with Jesse and Ryan doing rock, paper, scissors was Miami gold and a comedic scene that was long overdue!

4. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

After re-reading what you've written, it occurs to me your contention is a terribly simplist and dismissive approach to the issue - and to those who don't see what you see in E/C. And it's alleging that people who dislike E/C are somehow dishonest and that's rude and inciteful.

In the "Dislike" thread I've read hundreds of posts by people who don't enjoy the E/C storyline. Each and every post is articulate, well thought out and the individual's position supported with a plethora of specific reasons. The have done an admirable job.

If that wasn't done the moderators would have shut the thread down a long time ago.

Not once do I remember seeing anyone be so petty as to state, "I don't like E/C because I think Calleigh should be with (fill in the blank). (I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.) To assume these people are that shallow is insulting and not supported by the facts.

The individuals who dislike E/C have worked diligently sharing their reasons, while being attacked and challenged for their every statement and opinion.

We don't have to justify our dislike of this pairing, but have ... endlessly. You simply elect to fire up the hostilities again with a passive/aggressive post like this one.

5. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Nope :).

I'm just under the impression that in Talk CSI we are not allowed to talk that way about other posters. With characters and even actors there's more leeway (at least I've seen some pretty nasty stuff) but with posters and fans it's a different story. That's why I pointed that out.

As for what people did to get Adam back that's their business IMO. You like an actor/actress enough you want to do what you can for them.

I have nothing against Eddie C. nor Jesse. Like I've stated before I was indifferent to his character because he never reeled me in. "Hate war" I think it's another example of something that posters don't respond well to. The word keeps being thrown around from both sides when BOTH SIDES have expressed they feel offended by it. I think we should just steer away from words like "hatred", "hate war", and "sycophants" and keep expressing our thoughts in other ways. *shrugs* that's just my opinion.

6. Delquesne

Delquesne Prime Suspect

*SIGH* It's a shame when someone can't even post a mere E/C-related observation on this forum without being viciously and personally attacked. As is clear from my posts on this message board, I've always been, and continue to be, a major supporter of open and respectful dialog regarding E/C, among other topics. But sadly, your reply seems to demonstrate that my wish may be nothing more than a pipe-dream.:( It always amazes me how some people who are so quick to criticize certain supposed traits in others, cannot spot those same traits in themselves. I find many of your posts here, esp. the E/C-related ones, to be not just passive-aggressive, but downright aggressive. It has gotten to the point where many E/C-shippers are afraid to post anything here in this forum for fear of being disrespected and getting their heads bitten off. (Many people have PM'ed me here, and posted in other forums about this, and your name is frequently raised as one of the worst offenders).

Since you are such a strong proponent of closely reading posts, perhaps you should review mine yet again, since you appear to have completely misunderstood it. :rolleyes: Nowhere in my post did I assume or imply that my comment applied to all anti-E/C-shippers. (In fact, my post explicitly states just the opposite!) Nor did I suggest that the only reason some fans of CSIM don't support the E/C romance is that they support other, non-canon 'ships. I was merely pointing out an observation that I had made during my time here on the forum, and wondering "aloud" why fandom of non-canon 'ships seems to be so infrequently stated overtly here on the forum, when (as you pointed out) so much of the other reasoning of anti-E/C-shippers is discussed at length; and in many cases, quite eloquently.:thumbsup: And unlike you, I wouldn't find it "petty" for someone to state that they don't like E/C because they support another 'ship on the show (perhaps, among several other reasons) ... it would merely be an opinion ... neither right nor wrong, just different from mine. Using the words "petty" and "shallow" seems a tad judgmental to me, and thus entirely contrary to the reasons why I post here and the respectful tone I'd like to see on this forum.

Anyhow, I have no desire to get into a war-of-words with you or any other anti-E/C-shippers on this forum; least of all, in this thread. (Per my posting history here, this is just not my style). If you wish to make any other comments of a personal nature on my observations, or engage in further (inaccurate) psychoanalysis of my post, please take it to PM. I don't want to get involved in derailing this thread by responding to personal attacks that are, quite frankly, way off-topic.

Now, please, back to Eddie ...

7. kala79

kala79 Lab Technician

8. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I know this is the Eddie thread but I want to respond and then it's back to our original programming....

I am not a shipper of anyone and I am not a fan of E/C at all. My honest reason for not liking E/C is I feel other characters are not given the opportunity to be front and center because of it which falls back on the lousy writing of frankly, the whole show and not because I want E/C to be paired up with someone else. I find E/C distracting because I watch CSI:M for the forensic and the solving of the crimes and not for romantic relationships (friendships okay and that includes when E/C were just friends). I did however read your posting and I didn't think you were referring to all non-shippers. I also never blamed Adam's return for Eddie's return; I figured he was toast when Adam came back but I didn't place blame. I personally thought that they could have kept everyone if the show had quality writing but sadly enough they don't.

That is the way some of us non-shippers feel when we post; we are called "haters" and "bullies" and told to "shut up" and "if we don't like it, we don't have to watch". That isn't too respectful in my book either.

We all have to remember that we are all entitled to our opinions and one person or group's opinion isn't any more valid or right than the person or group who expresses the opposing view, and at times I think that is forgotten.

9. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Am I supposed to be hurt by you telling me that you and other E/C shippers discuss me in a negative way in private? That doesn't surprise me, nor does it hurt my feelings. I'd be pretty dumb not to assume that happens with great frequency. So I'm confused about why you felt you had to share in a public forum and then invite a private conversation if I wish to pursue it. No thanks.

Shortly after I arrived here, once it became clear that I was not an E/C supporter, I received an extremely vicious PM from an E/C supporter. I blew it off but it was very enlightening.

But thanks for sharing.

Excellent suggestion since this IS a thread about him.

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I just wanted to say that I personally do not blame Adam for Eddie getting booted off the show. I blame tptb because it feels as though they felt that they could not write for both Eric and Jesse. I think the two could be great friends and I think it's a shame that tptb felt that it would be impossible to write both characters. But I don't at all think it's Adam's fault. Even though he did return to the show, tptb could have still decided to keep Eddie too. They could have decided to challenge themselves (afterall that's what makes us better writers) to write for both of them plus all of the other characters.

I feel too much that the writers have taken the easy way out many times. Just look at Speed's death. Instead of giving him a real story, they just threw him and Horatio in the middle of a bank robbery or something and had Speed's gun jam and thats why he was killed. Lame. I'm worried that Jesse's exit will be just as lame. They could have just had Jesse go back to LA. If he doesn't die by the poison, then I don't get the point of killing him off as opposed to shipping him back to LA ALIVE!

11. kala79

kala79 Lab Technician

I don't know who PM-ed you and why, Delynn. But don't forget that you also said, that in the past had civilised and enjoyable discussions with EC supporters - you told me this yourself. I think we all in this forum know that you are not EC supporter, and we would just like to avoid discussion like this in all threads not related to either Calleigh or Eric, or their relationship. I honestly believe(and I don't mean you only, I do respect your opinions) that this topic is getting a bit out of control.
    Let's go back to Eddie...

12. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I appreciate your input, kala79. Truly I do. But I honestly don't feel there is anything to be gained furthering this discussion. I won't be responding further on this topic.

13. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

*Bumps in for a moment*

I'm going to say a few things and hopefully everyone takes the time to read.

Let's not label other fans/posters. If you want to duke it out, use PMs or IMs instead of setting up a battlefield in every thread. This forum is for discussing the SHOW and that's how it should stay (and one of the reasons the Truce thread is staying closed).

Also, it's perfectly fine to refute someone's opinions and it doesn't always have to be lollipops and rainbows. I strongly encourage the development of a thick skin, because expect that your ideas will be challenged when you post. It's the nature of the beast. What I don't want to see is labeling, flamewars and baiting others -- a few of which, I've seen in this thread.

Do NOT bring up things from other sites or private conversations about others. PMs are just that -- PRIVATE. Let's keep it off the boards. It serves absolutely no productive purpose.

The Truce thread (which I was iffy about in the first place but gave some leeway) was closed mainly because it was inactive for some time - indicating to me that everyone had pretty well said what they were going to say and then it went way off topic. I'm not going to open it again so everyone can start taking pot-shots at each other like what's been going on in this thread. I'd rather not add jet fuel onto the burning wreckage.

As hard as it may be, sometimes (general) you just have to hold your tongue and continue discussing the current topic, no matter how frustrating another individual may be. If someone is breaking the rules, NOTIFY a moderator instead of responding -- you may not get the instant satisfaction of telling someone off, but at the end of the day, you won't have made the problem worse and our job will have been easier. And believe me, we DO intervene when required.

Yes, E/C will inevitably come up in more than one thread and sometimes it does relate to the topic (not seeing the strongest relation to this one though), but it's not the place to discuss other fans (no matter how badly one wants it to be) and please keep in mind what the original topic was. Thank you.

--------------------------------------

I'll admit that I'm worried about this as well. This show seems to have a hard time committing themselves to writing a decent exit for characters. After seeing them write out Speed, Ray, Yelina and Hagen...my confidence doesn't extend too far for Jesse's fate. It's surprising that they didn't kill off Alexx or have her walk out with no explanation.

I'm glad that Eddie found another role, but it's bittersweet as I would have loved to see Jesse develop some more.

14. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Thank you, Geni.

15. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

If someone simply said that Eddie Cibrian was a "loser", then no, I would not defend them. It's unfair to make judgements about any actor who nobody on this board knows personally. However, where/when was it that a lot of posters were doing this? Do you have links? And I think if people were engaging in name-calling, the mods would get involved.

While I agree with you that Cibrian is a good actor, not everybody does. It's not inherently wrong to think one person is better suited for a certain show than another. It's just a matter of opinion, and unless that opinion is expressed in an inarticulate or offensive way, there's no reason to criticize someone for having that opinion.

I think there are some misconceptions about this so-called "twitter campaign".

1) Adam had nothing to do with it. When it was announced that he wouldn't be returning full-time for Season 8, some people tweeted their disappointment to him. He made one tweet that essentially said "I'm sorry, but it's out of my hands. If you are disappointed with this, let CBS know how you feel". That was it. He never said "Sign this petition! Get me back on! Come on!" or encouraged people to fight some sort of battle for him. Also, his suggestion wasn't a bad one. All major networks have feedback pages on their websites. He never suggested that a campaign be created. Some fans took it upon themselves to do it.
    2) It wasn't just Twitter. Yes, people used Twitter to spread the word about the campaign. But there was a petition on a petition website, and a page on the Adam Rodriguez official fan club website (which Adam isn't hugely involved with- he has granted the owner some exclusive interviews and pictures, and always thanks members for their support, but he isn't involved in running it or managing what they say) encouraging people to write to CBS, sign the petition, spread the word, make YouTube vidoes, etc.
    3) It wasn't a "Kick Eddie To The Curb and Bring Back Adam!" campaign. Yes, I'm sure plenty of people who participated in the campaign preferred Adam over Eddie, but that was not the purpose of it. The purpose was to get Adam back on the show, because many fans missed him and felt the show wasn't the same without him.

That's disgusting, and I'm so sorry it happened to you, even if you didn't take it personally.

I'm an E/C shipper, but I would never dream of sending someone a nasty PM just because they disagree with me. I assure you, not all E/C shippers are like this! I know there are some bad examples out there, but I swear, some of us aren't so bad. ;)

That's all I have to say on this matter. Now back to Eddie.