Would you become a CSI?

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by kateangel, Feb 26, 2007.

1. CSIangelface

CSIangelface Dead on Arrival

i dont want to be a CSI or CST but i really want to be a medical examiner ;]] that would be so kool1

2. flacksgirl

flacksgirl Hit and Run

MEs make a lot of money too but you have to go to medical school. At least the insurance isn't as bad a practicing physicians.

3. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

Yeah, I agree about the "wouldn't stay turned" comment. Hate to admit it, but I started to write a treatment for a CSI TV series about 15 years ago, but then stopped because I couldn't believe anyone would find such a show interesting or entertaining. Real CSI, as you've undoubtedly gathered by now, involves a great deal of repetition --- one similar scene after another --- with little sense of the underlying investigations.

4. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

Re: IN EXTREMIS ... I finished the novel (or, more accurately, the first draft) last night. Not sure how long it will take Pocket Books to get the book published, once we agree on the final manuscript, but my editor (Ed Schlesinger) seems real thoughtful and energetic and hard working, so maybe it'll be in the bookstores before October. Hope you all enjoy the story.

5. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

That's a bummer! God knows how rich Anthony Zuiker is now. :lol:

I have a question. (sorry if this is the wrong thread)
    I am about to start my forensics degree, and I plan to move to America afterwards. Are English degrees recognised in America? (My course is accredited by both the Royal Society of Chemistry, and the Forensic Science Service.)
    Thanks. :D

6. Forensics_Guy

Forensics_Guy Witness

In a lab I used to work for, we accepted someone with a Masters in Forensics from Scottland. So I would tell you that yes your degree would probably be accepted, but you would probably already have to be in the U.S. before they would agree to hire you.

7. body_farm

body_farm Dead on Arrival

i would love to be a CSI. but at first i'm going to finish my biological studies and then (i need to move to England for e.g) i'm going to study forensic...i hope it'll work...

8. grssom89

grssom89 Pathologist

hey egg what uni are you going to? i was at the UCAS fair today to get info on the courses and unis some look quite good and i was wondering the same thing lol

9. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

I can't imagine that degrees from the UK wouldn't be accepted in the U.S.; but you might run into citizenship requirements in applying for jobs in law enforcement. For example: U.S. citizenship is required for all federal government job applicants.

10. CSIangelface

i would like to become a sertified pathologist and then move to america. . . because i think there would be more buisness in america

11. CaRWash_Cutie

CaRWash_Cutie Rookie

I am actually in school training to be a criminalist right now. I admit, I first wanted to become a CSI because of the TV shows, but then I took a few classes and read a few books and decided that while it is not anything like they show on TV, it still appealed to me and I love it!

I thought I wanted to be a homicide detective when I first started taking classes, but then I realized that I was more apt at the lab work section of crime investigation. It's all a matter of what you like and where you fit. There are a lot of different job in the CSI type field and although it is very different from TV, I think that it is very rewarding.

12. CSIangelface

yas i love the whole idea of helping the dead kind of thing

13. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

That's good. Just have to get a visa and stuff. *gulp* (Juuust to let you know...it's Scotland, not Scottland...I'm obsessive, sorry! *smirk*)
    I recently changed my mind. It used to be Nottingham Trent, as it is the nearest decent uni that is near to where I live, (that does forensics) but I went to visit Lincoln the other day, and discovered that it is only 2 hours away, so that is where I am going. Much better course. :D

Thanks for the info guys. :D :D

14. Sabriel05

Sabriel05 Victim

im in 6thform i really want to become a csi but i doubt it will happen
    im good at the science stuff thats not a problem
    its my gcse english
    first time round got a D
    retook it got a D AGAIN!!!
    now im retaking it again its soo anoyin i want to do SCIENCE but they want english its not fair its not lik i got a U.
    (by they i mean the uni's)

i think it would be really cool to be a csi if i did get to do it i would either be a 'scene of crimes officer' (thats the 'posher' name for it) or i'd be the geeky computer person who can find stuff from ur hard drive even if u've deleted it. that would be kool

15. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

Ooops, didn't realize that I hadn't answered Bluntforcetrauma's question. I was hired by PocketBooks (Simon & Schriebner) just to write books based on the Las Vegas series. IN EXTREMIS will be the first. I make use of CSI characters and procedures in most of my other previously published thriller novels, but in a substancially different manner. BTW, can someone explain to me how to get the Quote (the specific comment I'm responding to) into that nice dark-blue box. I've looked all around the site, but haven't found the relevant instructions (so much for my CSI skills).