Would you become a CSI?

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by kateangel, Feb 26, 2007.

1. kateangel

kateangel Civilian

Do you want to become a forensic scientist, CSI or a job in the related field? You can do courses at university, where there are specially constructed 'CSI Houses' and you can practice the skills you see on the show. Does this interest you? Would you consider it?

Or, are you doing a course in forensic science? please say how relevant it is to the show, is it really boring and slow?

would love to hear from anyone, i have been looking at courses and i am feeling really interested.

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

I would have loved to have worked in the forensics sciences, but I did not have a good guidance counselor when I went to high school or college. Now at age 55 and my memory not the greatest, I do not think I could go back to school. You know the old saying about teaching an old dog new tricks.

There are two places here in West Virginia that offer Forensics courses, West Virginia University in Morgantown and Marshall University in Huntington. I have posted links to those in this forum in the past. Let me know if you need them.

3. SaraSidleRules8

SaraSidleRules8 Lab Technician

I'm actually going to school to be a CSI(Or CST as they call it here). I have like 10 credits left. It's a very...DIFFERENT field. And I am going to tell you something your instructors will tell you: IT'S NOT LIKE IT IS ON T.V. And believe me...it's not. My advice to you is to take one class and see how you like it. I did that and I fell in love with it. Good luck to you! :)

4. Hunter

Hunter Coroner

SaraSidle, care to explain the difference? :)

I would become a CSI, so you get out in the field, and be surrounded by forensic science. :)

5. Forensics_annie

Forensics_annie Witness

heck yes!! i love forensics and science. i like to solve puzzles with math and thinking. my brain loves to work hard on mysterys with little or no clues to follow. i like biotics. with fingerprints and blood work. say what type you are and if its male or female by a sample. ive done it before but thuroly. biology class i dont think counts. lol well to answer your question i most deffinately would love to become a CSI.

6. Hunter

Hunter Coroner

Exactly. Just like Cath from LV said, "We get paid to solve puzzles.". Too true. ;) I'm pretty much all the same like you Anni. :) That type of work really facinates me.

7. Forensics_annie

Forensics_annie Witness

thanks! other than the fact you misspelled my name :cool: its all good. lol. i love mind benders and teasers. ever since i was real little, my mother gets us all once a year mnd teasers. im always the first to solve theirs and everyone wants to know how i do it. a real magician never reveals his/her secrets ;) lol.

8. EyeHeartH

EyeHeartH CSI Level One

I would if I didn't have so many credits toward my journalism degree...unfortunately for me, I've only recently discovered CSI, and what they do on the show interests me a lot, but as SaraSidleRules8 said, it's a lot different in real life than it is on TV, so who knows if I would have liked the real stuff that they do. I probably still would have liked it, though, but I like what I'm doing at the radio station I work for, so I'll stick with that :)

9. SaraSidleRules8

SaraSidleRules8 Lab Technician

Hmmm...well. Where do I start? Usually when someone gets hit over the head, it doesn't stay in one spot. It's EVERYWHERE.

They ALWAYS die naked. SERIOUSLY. Not joking.

You don't wear nice clothes to a scene. You wear like the jumpsuits that they wear when they are in the lab. You also wear masks and footies all the time.

The people that die are NOT always pretty and good looking.

The stench is HORRENDOUS. Good Lord is it ever...

You NEVER use plastic bags to collect evidence. Unless it's jewelry, drugs, or money. You always use paper.

I could go on and on...but I'll stop there.

10. Forensics_annie

Forensics_annie Witness

yea. you go and look at a real crime lab...and all you see is machines, trench coats, lab coats, jumpsuites, footies, and papper bags. no plastic. and if you request to see a reall picture of a crime scene they show you a nude person with marks all over, not in one spot. it facinates me to know how and y they do this.

11. grissoms_gurl

grissoms_gurl Coroner

I would love to become a CSI!! I am currently completing my Criminal Justice - Policing diploma and I've taken some forensic-like courses. Criminalistics was great, but like SaraSidleRules8 said, it's nothing like TV. And they definitely do stress that alot. For now, I'm sticking with the non-scientific side of law enforcement :lol:

12. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

Yes, I would like to become a CSI.

13. Forensics_annie

Forensics_annie Witness

i love the forensics part. the police part im not interested in.

14. HoratioCainesGirl

HoratioCainesGirl Police Officer

I'm going to become a CSI. I'm already checking out colleges.

15. Calihan

Calihan Captain

No I wouldn't, I'm not great in science and the field could be interesting I wouldn't want to spend my life doing something I'm only ha;f interested in.