World Politics

I know it's mostly "US Politics" again, but I'm surprised nobody made any references to Glenn Beck's rally this past weekend? Personally, I think he's dangerous, as uber-visible asshats usually are...

I know it's mostly "US Politics" again, but I'm surprised nobody made any references to Glenn Beck's rally this past weekend? Personally, I think he's dangerous, as uber-visible asshats usually are...

OK, I will he's a lunatic, off the wall, ranting and raving and talking pyscho-babble, making absolutely no sense about anything, he rants and raves & yells, and barks, yes barks like a dog.. Why he was even at this memorial service for a beloved activist from the past is beyond me. He's such a racist. He needs to just disappear:scream:

Last edited:
Thank's for the link Baba popular with other GOP's, no one I know can stand him:scream: The right-wing is trying their best to find and slam our prssdident with anything that they can, all flat out lies for the most part, to try and make him a laughing stock and belittling and ridiculing him to drag and bring him down..:confused: and most of it is nasty mean nonsense. I just hope we take the house in November:bolian: Someone who is interesting and cool to watch is Keith Olberman on MSNBC.. and as I'm writing this the president is going to speak about bringing our troops home from Iraq. He'll be in the Oval Office~

Last edited:

OK, I will he's a lunatic, off the wall, ranting and raving and talking pyscho-babble, making absoultey no sense about anything, he rants and raves & yells, and barks, yes barks like a dog.. Why he was even at this memorial service for a beloved activist from the past is beyond me. He's such a racist. He needs to just disappear:scream:

this, basically!

Keith Olberman is a bright, bright man. I obviously agree with everything he says. :lol: Preaching to the choir, as they say. ;)

Still, I'm not even American, and I feel a little concerned at the seriously heavy-handedness of the rightwing media in the last few months. It seems to be relying a little heavier than ever on the scare tactic hyperboles, but then they could be just seeing this congressional opportunity in November and taking advantage of it. That's just politics, methinks. However, a lot of people do seem to be eating up what Glenn Beck has to say these days which is definitely a little worrying. Clearly I'm pretty far left, so when I say their facts seem majorly skewed it probably won't have much weight... but still- their facts are skewed! :lol:

Anyway, let's hope common sense prevails, and people don't remember too late that Obama said on both his campaign trail, and indeed even in his first presidential speech that it was basically going to be darkest before the dawn and people would need to be patient while the initial change process began. Do people honestly believe that 8 years of crap government could be righted within 1 year? Seriously? My organization is in the middle of a huge consolidation process, and the idea that even that would be completed within a year is laughable. I think people need to find some perspective again.

Even so, I think just hurling insults at the other side serves no purpose. People need to stand up and tell others what is specifically wrong with some of these approaches. Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts.

Thank's Baba
weehee.gif
well said. Obama said he's have our troops coming home by August 2010, and did they come home? He's a man of his word, and can't change everything that's wrong in 19 months, god knows he's trying;) Here's an article in out daily paper about Mr. Nutty Glenn Beck..:rolleyes:

RIGHT-WING AGITATOR TRAMPLES ON MARTIN LUTHUR KING'S LEGACY

America is better than Glenn Beck. For all of his celebrity, Beck is a divisive, pathetifc figure. On the anniversary of the great 1963 March on Washington he stood in the shadow of giants-Abraham Lincoln and Rev.Martin Luthur King Jr.. Who do you think is more representative of this nation? Consider a brief sampling of thier rhetoric:
Lincoln:"A house divided against itself cannot stand"
King: "Never succumb to the temptation of becoming bitter"
Beck: "I think the president is a racist"

Washington was on edge on the morning of Aug. 28, 1963. Negroes, [as we called them in those days], were coming into town by the tens of thousands. The sale of liquor was banned, troops stood by President John F. Kennedy who waited anxiously in the White House, to see how the day would unfold. It unfolded splendidly. The crowd for the "March on Washington", for jobs and freedom grew to some 250,000. Nearly a quarter of the marchers were white. They gathered at the Lincoln Memorial, where they were enthralled by the singing of Mahalia Jacckson and Joan Baez. The march was all about inclusion and the day seemed to swell with an extorodinary sense of camaraderie and good feeling. The climax, of course was King's transcendent "I Have A Dream" speech. Jerald Podair, a professor of American studies at Lawrence University in Wisconsin, has called Aug. 28, 1963 "the most impotant single day in civil rights history" This is the legacy that Beck, a man with a mean message, chose to tread upon with his cynical rally on Aug. 28, at that same Lincoln Memorial:(

SIMPLY OBLIVIOUS
Beck is a provocateur who likes to play with matches in the tinderbox of racial and ethnic confrontation. He seems oblivious to the real danger of his execrable behavior. He is an integral part of the vicious effort by the "tea party" and other elements of the right wing to portray President Barack Obama as somehow alien, a strange figure who is separate and apart from..outside of..ordinary American life. As the watchdog group Media Matters for America has noted, Beck said of the president, "He chose to use the name, Barack, for a reason, to identify not with America..you don't take the name Barack to identify with America, you take the name Barack to identify with what? Your hertiage perhaps:rolleyes: The heritage, maybe, of your father in Kenya, who is a radical? [lunatic] as I previous said. So, facts mean nothing to Beck. An there is no road too low for him to slither upon. Beck said "he wouldn't be surprised if in our lifetime dogs and firehoses are released or opened on us. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of us get a billy club to the head and a few of us go to jail..just like King did on trumped up charges" [crazy] He makes you want to take a shower

CHILL, BABY CHILL
In Beck's view, Obama is driven by a desire to settle "old racial scores" and his ultimate goal is "reparations" for black Americas. Lincoln and King would probably look on aghast:wtf: There is a great deal of hatred and bigotry in this country, but it does not define the country. The daily experience of most Americans is not a bitter one and for all of our problems were are in a much better place on these matters than we were a half-centry ago. But, I worry about the potential for violence that grows out of unrestrained, hostile bombast. we've seen it so often. A little more than two weeks after the 1963 march,the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, ALA. was bombed by the Ku-Klux Klan and 4 young black girls were killed, then 3 months later Jack Kennedy was assassinated. My sincere advice to Beck and his followers is chill, baby chill~[or go away] my views:(

Bob Herbert..New York Tines News Services~

Last edited:
It seems to be relying a little heavier than ever on the scare tactic hyperboles

definitely - and there we all were thinking that just couldn't be possible!

Do people honestly believe that 8 years of crap government could be righted within 1 year? Seriously?

apparently so. but this is typical of any government change over - it's happening here too now we've switched from new lab to condemnation - although to be fair new lab were so bloody tory, there wasn't much to change ;)

Even so, I think just hurling insults at the other side serves no purpose. People need to stand up and tell others what is specifically wrong with some of these approaches. Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts.

agreed!

I loved (not really) how Beck just happened to forget the date he held his little rally (for lack of a better word) on. Give me a break a pre-schooler would know this info. :rolleyes:

Okay hope the mods don't mind I am posting a link to this one site (I just want it known that if you like foxnews I mean no offense if you think that is what my intentions are *disclaimer*)
Newshounds. We watch FOX so you don't have to. (they tell you about what went on in shows on the network, pointing out the umm fair and balanced or lack there of, they also have video in their stories to back up what they are saying.

Also I posted this once before, if you didn't bookmark it for at least a good laugh, shame on you! :lol: Margaret and Helen
When I read what these two ladies have to say I laugh so hard I have to wipe away the tears. They are straight shooters, tell it like it is, don't hold back, and wow the language lol. But they are funny as hell. :guffaw: Lastly they mean what they say and say what they mean. I admit sometimes they may take a bit between writings but it is worth it to keep checking them out. Also look to the right and you will see the archieves you can go through, you will be laughing so hard. Note do not drink or eat anything while reading as spitting and choking may occure. :eek:

Good one Destiny and the FOX one "give me a pre-schooler" so true, their so off-the-wall and everything is so biased and unture.. and the ladies:guffaw:

BLAIR SIGNING DRAWS EGG-TOSSING PROTESTERS

Dublin.. Protesters hurled shows and eggs Saturday at Tony Blair at the first public signing of his memoir amid high security in Ireland's capital. Hundreds more people lined up to have their books autographed...evidence that the divisions left by Blair's decade as the British leader have yet to heal. Blair's new book "A Journey" is a best seller, but it has angered opponents of his policies, especially the 2003 invasion of Iraq. About 200 demonstrators chanted that Blair had "blood on his hands" as the former prime minister arrived at a Dublin Bookstore. Shoes, eggs and other projectiles were thrown toward Blair as he emerged from a car, but he was not hit. Security was tight, with book buyers..who apperard to out number the protesters by about two to one..told to hand over bags and mobile phones before entering Rason's bookstore on O'Connell Street, Dublin's main shopping throughfare. There were scuffles between police and demonstrators when some tried to force their way through the security cordon. Two protesters were bundled into the back of a security van. Several demonstrators, including one wheelchair user, laid themselves in the van's path [a bit much], and riot police were brought in to remove them. Blair spent about two hours in the store before energing to more shouts, boos and hurled eggs. he was quickly driven away as a police helicopter circled overhead. "Blair took the world to war in Iraq and Afghanistan on the basis of lies", protester Donal MacFhearraigh said. He said Blair should be indicted as a "War Criminal". [that's harsh] Another protester, 24-yr. old Kate O'Sullivan, says she was taken away by security guards after approaching Blair in the store and trying to perform a "citizen's arrest":eek:

I and many Americans, thought he was a beloved and admired leader. And why do the people in Ireland have such adamant, strong, cynical views of him? What do the Brits think?

The Associated Press.. writer John Heaney~

I and many Americans, thought he was a beloved and admired leader.

er, no, unless you count him being beloved and admired by himself.

And why do the people in Ireland have such adamant, strong, cynical views of him?

i would imagine because of his handling of the northern ireland peace process, or at least in part.

What do the Brits think?

well i can't speak for the whole nation, but most people i know (in fact the only exception i can think of is my mother and she's about as clued up on politics as a snail) think he's smug, smarmy, narcissistic and, worse, a liar. and not just that but a serial liar. he is really not popular. he wasn't even during his term in govt - when 2 million people demonstrate about something (which suggests that many more are agreeing but just not on the march), you, as PM, should be taking that into account, after all you are a representative of the people. taking his country to war based on (a) licking mr bush's arse and (b) falsified reasons for doing so really didn't help his image - and lying about that AGAIN at the later inquiry just solidified what most people already thought. ARGH.

even after his term he was continuing to cause havoc - he handed his party over to someone based on a backroom deal, which meant our next leader was unelected even by his own party let alone by the people, then stirred up all kinds of bitchiness in government to bring down the guy he put in, seemingly just from spite, and now he's raking it in making speeches and what not and calling himself the "peace envoy to the middle east" which is frankly the biggest joke in history - how many peace envoys do you know of that begin their pitch for that job by invading two countries on the back of another country telling them to?

oh yeah, and that's before you even start on him systematically undermining and dismantling the labour party ethic, leaving us with two tory parties, and no viable leftist party any more. the man is a total bastard. i really wish i could go back to 1997 and not vote for him, and i suspect i'm not the only one.

Last edited:
Yessss, as a Canadian, perhaps we got more of the "commonwealth" view, but I don't recall his PM days as being that stellar, in terms of the populace opinion. Especially, like you say, after he joined the US in their siege of Iraq after the rest of us pretty much told Bush to beat it. Had always meant to watch "The Queen" to see that particular take on him (plus I like Michael Sheen! :lol: )

WOW:wtf: lisa I didn't realize all of that. I really don't think we as Americans know the whole story about him. So, you really laid it on the line. A friend of mine met a Brit through Facebook, and is in touch with him on her laptop, and I one day was with her and told her to say HI to him, which she did he said "HI" back, so I go "ask him what he thinks of Tony Blair" she did, and her eyes widened and she goes he said "he had his head to far up Bush's arse":wtf:So thank's for all the vivid, detailed descriptions of him, and what he's not done. So most can't stand him right? I read today he did cancel a book signing in London due to the protesters..again. Guess that's how most Americans feel about Bush.~

Back