World Politics

sarkozy amazes everyone!

and speaking of a regressing world.... we have our big papal visit here starting thursday. i haven't been this against something in a very, very, very long time. i'm hoping i can find some people to form some kind of gang to go and throw eggs (at the very least) at this evil man who should NOT be welcome in this country. he's a symbol of all that's backward and wrong and hateful in the world and as such should be rejected at all costs.

sarkozy amazes everyone!

and speaking of a regressing world.... we have our big papal visit here starting thursday. i haven't been this against something in a very, very, very long time. i'm hoping i can find some people to form some kind of gang to go and throw eggs (at the very least) at this evil man who should NOT be welcome in this country. he's a symbol of all that's backward and wrong and hateful in the world and as such should be rejected at all costs.

^^ Oh I read about that too and that erm... Brits are not very happy about it.

Thankfully he'll never visit here :p

For Netherlands - you are soon as hopeless as Belgium :p

Oh we have so slow it here, but soon..soon it will all go nuts, since Parliament elections are in next Apr

Thankfully he'll never visit here :p

and why is that??

I don't see why he'd visit country that is 80% Lutheran, 1% orthodox and rest are atheists or some other minor groups.

well we didn't think he'd visit one that was primarily CofE with fast increasing numbers of atheists (yes! go atheists!) - although apparently catholicism is growing a bit again here because of all the poles etc. even counting those, catholicism is pretty low in this country, i was quite surprised when they said he'd be coming here. maybe he's going to try to undo the reformation or something by forcing the queen to divorce prince philip :D

Maybe it's the "Coversion" tour- he's trying to lure people over to the dark side... ;)

Atheist speaking here, so I don't care what he does or where he goes. No skin off my back. :p

i'm an atheist too and it definitely bothers me. but then i'd go as far as to say i'm an antitheist so maybe that's why...

it's the human element more than anything that bothers me tho, sod the religious bit for a second, what bothers me is that fact that he's systematically covered up (and indeed encouraged) child abuse, he's said publicly and endorsed other people saying that condoms spread aids, thus spreading aids in less developed countries where people actually do as the pope/church tells them, and he's endorsed holocaust deniers. THAT is what makes me so angry. i don't give a crap who he worships or doesn't (ok, maybe i do a little bit) but someone who has done those things categorically should not be welcome in an so called progressive nation.

and why is that??

I don't see why he'd visit country that is 80% Lutheran, 1% orthodox and rest are atheists or some other minor groups.

well we didn't think he'd visit one that was primarily CofE with fast increasing numbers of atheists (yes! go atheists!) - although apparently catholicism is growing a bit again here because of all the poles etc. even counting those, catholicism is pretty low in this country, i was quite surprised when they said he'd be coming here. maybe he's going to try to undo the reformation or something by forcing the queen to divorce prince philip :D

:D

I guess we have some 10,000 catholics or so. Not quite sure.

Mr. B is quite... I wonder where they found it? I mean I don't have anything against catholism, but Benedictus is just wrong.

(I know this is going to religion) ... I mean I think religions should give a chance to stay in their belives and not to change everyting with the world, if the would, wouldn't it make the believes bit... wrong? How can you believe in it anymore? Yes, considering homosexuality as illness and so on are bit dated but if that's what they believe, let them and we believe what we believe.

But still comments about condoms, holocaust and stuff is just.. insane.

This whole thing just annoys me because we've had recently discussion (we have two state churches: lutheran and orthodox, both collect taxes) that should same sex marriages give same rights than heterosexual. Which means churches should start accepting gaymarriages in chuch and priests have to go thru with those ( I am sorry, I have lack of vocabularity at the moment :p ) I cannot accept that RELIGION has to be changed by LAW.

I mean, if gay people freak out becuase they sooooooooooo want to get married in church, it makes me think that erm..what was the point again? Erm, to confirm the love between two and make it legal or just the point having _the_party_ ? I don't know if I make any sense. I just mean, what's the deeper think in gettin married? Same than one of my classmatesk "I'll leave church as soon as I get married, I want to get married in church but once it's done, I will not be a member of church anymore"

I am member of Lutheran church and this summer I've attended two weddings, both in church and all the speech priest gives to the couple.. just freaks me out and I will not get married in church.

Erm, to point. So I guess that's politics. Of course then some say then right to wed people has to be taken away from the churches if the same sex marriages get the same rights. It's annoying. I don't like the law telling what religion should believe in or do.

But I'd assume church still have right to give these services to members and they'd still be legal.

I always thought (Finland became catholic first when it was part of Sweden, then Swedish king decided to change to Lutheran because churches were rich :p and I always think their had stupid redneck country, Finland and stupid drunken, forest-living Finns refused to do what Pope said and Sweden suffered from it ::lol: )

Sorry if there's stuff that doesn' make sense - I have pizza in oven so have to keep thinking of it so I won't burn it :p

For Netherlands - you are soon as hopeless as Belgium :p

*sigh* I know... it's quite a soap ...
tomorrow it's "prinsjesdag" the day the government presents their plans for the new year.. the financial consequences of those plans..etc..
it's a kind of weird the "demissionair" government is making the plans, while there should be already a new one... this country needs direction..

Why can't we all just get along?

he or she who has the solution should win a nobel prize (maybe a common enemy?)

WOW> on the Pope, and all the chaos regarding his visit, and reading that your favorite guy Blair just converted to Catholicism:eek: Don't know what to say about all of this:confused:.........So this is about what's going on here with our President~

OBAMA RAPS GOP ON CAMPAIGN FINANCE STALL

ADDRESS: He calls "politics at it's worst". Critics say the stance is to avert attention away from the economy

Washington--Stop blocking legislation to limit the amout of money corporations and unions can spend on campaign advertising, President Barack Obama is telling Republicans, saying their strategy is "politics at it's worst" "This is commons sense", Obama said in his weekly radio address Saturday, in fact, this is the kind of proposal that Democrats and Republicans have agreed on for decades. Yet, the Republican leaders in Congress have so far said "NO". At issue is a Supreme Court ruling that reversed a century-long trend of limiting the power of big money in politics by saying corporations and unions may spend heavily to influence presidential and congressional elections. Republicans, seen as mostly benefiting from the ruling, argue that Democrats are only trying to protect themselves with the bill. The Democrat-controlled House passed legislation to scale back the ruling and require greater disclosure by donars, Senate Republicans have blocked it, and it's unlikely that the Senate will act on the measure in time to affect the Nov.2 elections. Obama said a partisan minority in Congress wants to "ride this wave of unchecked influence all the way to victory", on Nov.2. In repsonse, Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky criticized Obama for talking up a "partisan campaign bill" for the 2nd time in four weeks at a time when Americans are desperate for Washington to focus on creating jobs and growing the economy, "By focusing on that partisan effort to rig the fall elections rather than the stagnant economy, Democrats are proving once again that the jobs they care about most are their own", McConnell. [shut-up] and go away:scream:

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS~

My comments, President Obama does care about the economy and creating jobs are his biggest priority. Naysayers always complain about things when they can't get their own way, like a 2-yr. old~

Why can't we all just get along?

because we're human beings, we're naturally greedy, selfish and we love a good conflict. it's all quite darwinian i guess.

WOW> on the Pope, and all the chaos regarding his visit, and reading that your favorite guy Blair just converted to Catholicism:eek: Don't know what to say about all of this:confused:.........So this is about what's going on here with our President~

yeah he did that a couple of years ago or so. i guess mainly because his wife is. seems like a pretty silly reason to me!

as for obama, i think he's got a point. ok, so he hasn't been as uber amazing as president as people hoped, but he had a hell of a mess to deal with when he started and frankly i think if the gop had got in they'd have had trouble with it too. they do seem to block things purely because it's him, rather than for any valid reason which is so petty, it's like playground stuff. the stupid thing is that if the tables were turned the gop would be in the same situation, trying to unravel the mess they inherited and and their voters would be saying "give them a chance, it's a hell of a mess" instead of making out that the guy in charge is terrible.

CIA SAID RUNS ELITE AFGHAN FORCE

Since 2002: Modeled after U.S. special forces, the paramilitaries pursue al-Qaida and the Taliban

Washington.. The CIA has trained and bankrolled a well-paid force of elite Afghan paramilitiaries for nearly 8 years to hunt down al-Qaida and the Taliban for the CIA, according to current anf former U.S. officials. Modeled after U.S. secial forces the Counterterrorist Pursuit Team was set up in the months following the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan in 2002 to penetrate territory controlled by the Taliban and al-Qaida and target militants for interrogationss by CIA officals. The 3,000 strong Afghan teams are used for surveillance and long-range reconnaissance missions and some have trained at CIA facilities in the United States. The force has opereated in Kabul and some Afghanistan's most violence-wracked provinces including Kandahar, Khost, Paktia and Paktika, according to a security professional familiar with the program. The secret Afghan force has emerged as a new conponet of ramped-up American operations against the Taliban in Afghanistan and against al-Qaida and allies over the mountanious border in Pakistan. The U.S. military, including special operations forces, has been working with the CIA in an intensified crackdown against militants on both sides of the border. Drone strikes run by the CIA are at their highest level yet against Afghan Taliban Haqqani and al-Qaida leaders in Pakistan, while U.S. special operations forces have been staging combined raids with the Afghan army special forces against the midlevel leadership that operates on the Afghan side. The Afghan pursuit teams were described in detail in Bob Woodward's new book, "The Obama Wars" due out on Monday. Woodward reported that the units conducted covert operations inside neighborhooding Pakistan lawless border areas as part of a campaign against al-Qaida and Taliban havens. Pakistan forces to enter the border region only for limited training missions. The use of Afghan paramilitaries to carry out spying activities will likely inflame already frayed political relations between Afghanistan and Padkitan. "We do not allow any foreign troops or militia to operate on our side of the border", said Pakistan army spokesman Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas. 'There are no reports of any such incident, and, should it happen in the future, they will be fired upon by our troops". Unlike regular Afghan army commandos, the CIA run Afghan paramilitary units mostly work independently from CIA paramilitary or special operations forces, but will occasionally combine forces for an operation. Despite operating independently, the units coordinate their operations with NATO, the security professional said. The Afghan force became the focus of a debate last year between the CIA and the military over who would control it's operations. A former official said the CIA remained the lead agency. While U.S. officials insist the paramilitary forces have an excellent record, at least one unit stumbled badly in the past. The Kandahar branch paramilitaries shot and killed Kandahar's police chief and 9 others over a dispute in 2009, after one of it's own was arrested. During the face-off with the police chief, the paramilitaries were wearing uniforms and had guns bought by the CIA~

Kimberly Dozier & Adam Goldman
The Associated Press~

^ tbh i'm not surprised, they have a pretty long history of this kind of thing. nicaragua, grenada anyone? although at least this time it seems they have a legitimate target.

Back