World Politics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Some good news about a few of the things that our wonderful President Obama has done since he's been elected:bolian:

A historically successful legislative run, signing into law~
    The economic stimulus package
    Health care restructuring
    The Wall Street overhaul
    and a long list of lesser known bills on credit card charges, tobacco regulation and fair pay. So the uneasy mood on Capital Hill may not matter~

PRESS ENTERPRISE..newspaper~

2. Desertwind

This from my Democratic newsletter:bolian:

THE REPUBLICAN TWO SANTA CLAUS THEORY

Just prior to Ronald Reagan becoming president a Republican operative espoused The Two Santa Claus theory. Thom Hartmann recently explained on his show~

When the Republicans have control of the preidency and the House of Representatives they should cut taxes and spend big to run up the national debt. when the Democrats take control the money won't be there for typical Democratic social programs. The Democrats will be forced to raise taxes and limit spending. Once the Democrats are in control the Republicans should scream and shout-deficits, deficits!

Both Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush put the Two Santa Claus theory into practice. Reagan tripled the national debt and Bush doubled it. Clinton had a surplus.

VOTING
    The Republicans use God, guns and anti-gay slogans to get Republican voters to show up at the polls. Democrats don't have a slogan to get voters to the polls. We would like to suggest one LIFE, LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS Without a decent job, home and a bright future you don't have much of a life, little liberty or means to pursue happiness~

3. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

This happened last in earliy July (been bit busy)

from bbc.co.uk
    Finland makes broadband a 'legal right'

Finland has become the first country in the world to make broadband a legal right for every citizen.
    From 1 July every Finn will have the right to access to a 1Mbps (megabit per second) broadband connection.
    Finland has vowed to connect everyone to a 100Mbps connection by 2015.
    In the UK the government has promised a minimum connection of at least 2Mbps to all homes by 2012 but has stopped short of enshrining this as a right in law.
    The Finnish deal means that from 1 July all telecommunications companies will be obliged to provide all residents with broadband lines that can run at a minimum 1Mbps speed.
    Broadband commitment Speaking to the BBC, Finland's communication minister Suvi Linden explained the thinking behind the legislation: "We considered the role of the internet in Finns everyday life. Internet services are no longer just for entertainment.
    "Finland has worked hard to develop an information society and a couple of years ago we realised not everyone had access," she said.
    It is believed up to 96% of the population are already online and that only about 4,000 homes still need connecting to comply with the law.
    In the UK internet penetration stands at 73%.
    The British government has agreed to provide everyone with a minimum 2Mbps broadband connection by 2012 but it is a commitment rather than a legally binding ruling.
    "The UK has a universal service obligation which means virtually all communities will have broadband," said a spokesman for the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
    Making broadband a legal right could have implications for countries that plan tough action on illegal file-sharing.
    Both the UK and France have said they may cut off or limit the internet connections of people who persistently download music or films for free.
    The Finnish government has adopted a more gentle approach.
    "We will have a policy where operators will send letters to illegal file-sharers but we are not planning on cutting off access," said Ms Linden.
    A poll conducted for the BBC World Service earlier this year found that almost four in five people around the world believed that access to the internet is a fundamental right.

---

The problem is that we have lots of land and not people. No, people living mostly in cities and in south but north there can be 60-70km to your closest neighbour or so on and so far when you've asked for internet [or broadband] they've just said "no can do" you need this and you need that (e.g our village had to have 5 houses to sign up before they promised to build ADSL here... and it's only 1 company we can use)

And now companies are removing the traditional landlines so it's silly. And with those distances in north and east, you cannot really say "go to the local library" because local library can be 100km away.

Of course there will be problem of "reasonable price" for internetaccess, but they point is when person A, who's living middle of nowhere asks company B that they want broadband, they have to deliver it and cannot say "no can do"

yay! [except I have cable nowadays and I can choose my operator, hooray!]

4. Desertwind

Thank's Ducky interesting stuff, keep us posted on the next move~

Here's a brief summary of what's going on in the USA, in the never ending tumultuous world of politics~

http://www.aolnews.com/category/politics/

5. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Hi Ducky (and the rest of forum)

Have you noticed who lives in the happiest countries in the world:thumbsup:. Something must be going ok eventhough things happens that make you go :wtf: in every day life. At the moment main topic in politics: Banning off muscle/frighting dogs....but will the owners comply or deny?

6. Desertwind

Obama and Cameron differ on dealing with the budget deficits. Cameron's coaltion government has imposed stringent spending cuts, while Obama favors a more gradual deficit reduction~ small picture of them together.. sorry I don't have a scanner to show it.:(

Cameron also said he understood American anger over the BP oil leak in the Gulf Of Mexico. He said the leak that began April 20, with a explosion aboard a BP-leased oil rig that claimed 11 lives was "a catastrophe" for the environment, the fishing industry and for tourism in the region. Cameron said he agreed with Obama that "it is BP's role to cap the leak, clean up the mess and pay appropriate compensation". he said that the recent temporary capping of the well by BP was "a step in the right direction" At the same time, Cameron said that BP, formerly known as British Petroleum, "is an important company to both", the United States and Britain, noting it employs thousands of workers on both sides of the Atlantic. It was the British prime minister's first visit to the U.S, since taking office 10 week's ago. However, he and Obama met one-to-one last month on the side lines of a world summit in Toronto and discussed some of the same issues. There was one item on which the two leaders basically agreed to disagree, however the vastly different approaches to budget-cuttng two countries are taking amid a fragile economic recovery. Cameron's coalition government has imposed stringent spending cuts, while the Obama administration favors eventual deficit reduction--but does not want to slam on the stimulus brakes too quickly for fear of jeopardizing a fragile recovery and plunging the U.S. back into recession. Obama said there would be differences in how different countries "approach it tactically and at what pace"

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS~

7. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

^Surprised you didn't know that Cameron's coaltion government has imposed huge spending cuts...I actually think Obama was accepting these cutings are right in the G8 and G20 meetings that took place - most of the big economy in mainland europe already have deficit reduction plans. Also I think I'm correct in say that there will be spending cuts in the public sector in the USA aswell, although many Republicans oppose this. That's what I heard anyway.

8. Desertwind

shazza I did know it, this was an article about that~

ACHIEVEMENTS OF PRESIDENT BARRACK OBAMA so far so good~

LINK

9. Desertwind

[​IMG] to our wonderful President Barack Obama on his 49th B-day. Have a good one[​IMG]

10. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

11. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ about bloody time! i got asked so many times in calif (and in chicago actually) to sign petitions for this, i guess as a last minute thing - i don't know whether i was legally allowed to, not being a citizen, but i always stopped to say hi and if they still wanted my signature, they got it :)

12. Desertwind

I just heard on the news that this isn't a done deal, now their going to take it to the high court, and still get it to pass.:(

13. PerfectAnomaly

Yeah. The decision won't take effect pending appeal to the Supreme Court. If they have any brains or sense of justice the Supreme Court will uphold the lower court's ruling. It's still gonna be a long fight ahead, but today was a step in the right direction.

14. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i heard the same, but i think they'd be mad to try to ban it again.

15. PerfectAnomaly